• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Dennis

Banned
Geez pc version seems terribly optimized going by those benchmarks extremely disappointing.

Or maybe its a huge open world game with fantastic graphics that at max can make even fast rigs sweat.

I am not concerned. And I am happy they went all out graphically.

I shall reward Ubisoft by buying this software.

You should see the difference between the 360 and PS3 version.

i30HcunAeFfUG.png

i204p1URJgwlN.png

Haha so true.

Sethos

Banned
Heh, I was expecting Sethos to start dogging on the game for not looking good enough to warrant the performance hit.

But c'mon look at it! Not saying it's an ugly game ( Maybe a bit ) but that is not "Holy shit, sub-40FPS on high-end rigs" graphics :p

The vegetation is straight out of Far Cry 1

jet1911

Soooooo... Is there a deal online sonewhere for the PC version? I know about the gmg deal but it's not available for us lowly North Americans. :(

Ledsen

Hey legacyzero, great OP! :) Let's hope this game is as good as the reviewers say, although I'm still skeptical about some bits.

No more re-spawning check points:

-Checkpoints are now areas that you can clear out and capture to make your own. Once captured
your friendly forces move in and it STAYS yours. The compromise is that soldiers will always
be patrolling with vehicles around the man, and will engage you. Be careful while clearing out
checkpoints though, because if the alarm is activated, enemy reinforcements will make things
difficult.

Stealth is now more realistic:
-In Far Cry 2, enemies can see you from miles away, through foliage even. Far Cry 3 dials this
back and makes stealth a lot more usable. Sneaking up behind enemies, take-downs, silenced weapons
and throwing rocks to distract enemies are all part of the stealth game-play now.

Assassins Creed-like map discovery:
-The Rook Islands are huge. But in order to discover objectives, locations, etc, you need
to climb radio towers to survey the land. Sadly, the great Far Cry 2 map system where you brought
up the map in your hands in real time is gone.

Crafting and Hunting:
-These two go hand in hand. Want a bigger wallet? Want to have more holsters to carry weapons?
You'll need to go hunting. Hunting for animal skins will allow you to craft these, and more items.
This feature is mandatory, as you don't seem to be able to simply purchase skins.

Weapon Degradation is out, XP is in:

-Weapons and XP are about as you would expect them. Completing objectives, and killing baddies
will net you XP that will lead to unlocking abilities via the games new Skill Tree-like
character progression.

Guns-A-Plenty!:
-6 Handguns, 5 SMGs, 3 RPG types, 3 Shotguns, 6 Assault Rifles, 3 Snipers, 5 LMGs, 4 Knifes,
and 4 Misc like Bows. Each customizable with tons of mods, skins, etc.

Mini-Games:
-Drinking games, Poker games, Races, Shooting Galleries, etc.

Might I suggest adding two bulletpoints here? Trying to be as objective as possible while adding some useful info for people who played FC2:

Minimalistic HUD is out, busy HUD is in
-In Far Cry 2, there were comparatively few visible HUD elements, and the map was represented by a real map that you had to bring out and look at while your character held it in their hands. In Far Cry 3, this has been replaced by a regular minimap, and the rest of the UI has XP and mission pop-ups, enemy and objective markers etc.

Buddy system is out
-This system from Far Cry 2 allowed you to recruit a character that acted as your "buddy", helping you escape certain death when your health reached zero. Your vision would fade to black, but you would wake up, supported by your buddy shouting encouraging words and carrying you out of danger's way. This system is removed in Far Cry 3.

Far Cry 3 is an open world shooter same as Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 would arguably be called
a cult favorite that you either did, or didn't like. Mainly because it was a game (while
great in concept and scope) that was held back by some tough design choices such as malaria,
gun jamming, irritating checkpoints with re-spawning soldiers, etc. Far Cry 3 seems to
address all of this, and has either made the feature better, or removed it completely.

My suggestion is to append the following sentence to the end here:

For some, this might be seen as throwing the baby out with the bathwater, since many of the features could have probably been improved instead of axed. For others, who disliked the very idea of those systems in FC2, this might only be a good thing .

I have an AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB. How do you think performance will be on this GPU?

I really want to upgrade my GPU, but I'll probably have to upgrade my motherboard, CPU as well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Can we not do this petition shit in here? It's not going to work even if the entire GAF userbase signs up for it and it's just cluttering up the damn thread.

Agreed. He already tried the same in the review thread, really annoying.

GrizzNKev

Banned
But c'mon look at it! Not saying it's an ugly game ( Maybe a bit ) but that is not "Holy shit, sub-40FPS on high-end rigs" graphics :p

The vegetation is straight out of Far Cry 1

I was impressed by the illusion of grass density. Though Crysis 3 will decimate it.

Arucardo

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. Most studios are happy with getting the game to 30 fps or so on consoles. I'm almost convinced that many studios don't go the extra mile for the PC versions to optimize the performance beyond adding graphics options. But in this games case I'll take the current optimization over a delayed pc release. I hope they'll improve it with a patch or three.

legacyzero

Banned
Minimalistic HUD is out, busy HUD is in
-In Far Cry 2, there were comparatively few visible HUD elements, and the map was represented by a real map that you had to bring out and look at while your character held it in their hands. In Far Cry 3, this has been replaced by a regular minimap, and the rest of the UI has XP and mission pop-ups, enemy and objective markers etc.

Buddy system is out
-This system from Far Cry 2 allowed you to recruit a character that acted as your "buddy", helping you escape certain death when your health reached zero. Your vision would fade to black, but you would wake up, supported by your buddy shouting encouraging words and carrying you out of danger's way. This system is removed in Far Cry 3.

My suggestion is to append the following sentence to the end here:
Damn, I forgot about the buddy system. I did add both of those to the OP though. It's good info thanks!
Agreed. He already tried the same in the review thread, really annoying.

Nah, it's all in good fun LOL

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. Most studios are happy with getting the game to 30 fps or so on consoles. I'm almost convinced that many studios don't go the extra mile for the PC versions to optimize the performance beyond adding graphics options. But in this games case I'll take the current optimization over a delayed pc release. I hope they'll improve it with a patch or three.
I'm really hoping that Ubi and Nvidia push out some nice performance patches before and after launch.

SteveWD40

Two things:

Should this run ok on a Mobility HD5650 (with 1gb dedicated, an i5 and 4gb of Ram)?

Does it have full controller support (menus included)?

I can run BLOPS2, Skyrim and BL2 at medium and have a decent 30fps+ so I trust it's as scalable as any other multiplatform game.

Ledsen

Two things:

Should this run ok on a Mobility HD5650 (with 1gb dedicated, an i5 and 4gb of Ram)?

I can run BLOPS2, Skyrim and BL2 at medium and have a decent 30fps+ so I trust it's as scalable as any other multiplatform game.

From the benchmark, this seems much more demanding than any of those games. I have a laptop with the same card, and i won't even be trying it on there.

Two things:

Hah, I have the same card in my laptop. I'll wait for others to test it out to see if it's worth buying, because I have a feeling I'll only be able to play it at pretty much console specs (720p, low/medium settings) with a decent framerate.

BTW, Hitman Absolution runs an absolute charm with 60fps at medium settings with SSAO turned off.

SteveWD40

From the benchmark, this seems much more demanding than any of those games. I have a laptop with the same card, and i won't even be trying it on there.

You mean they haven't just ported the 360 version then? I would assume even at minimum details it will look console equivalent, we are talking about it running at 1366x768 here.

*sobs*

Edit:

I have a feeling I'll only be able to play it at pretty much console specs (720p, low/medium settings) with a decent framerate

Fine with me, it's only temporary until I get my new rig next year.

Those are punishing requirements, but I guess that takes into account people who want to play maxed out at the absolute highest resolutions and still get 60FPS. I'm not that fussy, thankfully.

Really looking forward to this. I have so many cool games to play now.

Lucifon

FYI Sainsbury's Entertainment have the Insane Edition for £33 on PC. Not the best to preorder from I'm sure, but great price.

legacyzero

Banned
Not sure what's up with UK Steam. Theres a lot of holler over at the ubi forums about it too.

Ubisoft has been very strange when it has come to reveals or giving information.

iNvid02

Not sure what's up with UK Steam. Theres a lot of holler over at the ubi forums about it too.

Ubisoft has been very strange when it has come to reveals or giving information.

it cant be another ea origin type scenario because every other region has the games available

not sure what it is, neither ubi or valve has said anything. preordered the insane edition from amazon a while back so im good

SteveWD40

It's not on Steam on the UK? and won't be at all? No unlock on Steam / Steamkey even if I buy from another source?

Fuck that.

Derrick01

Banned
People who asks Ubisoft for a No HUD option

Dennis
Neuromancer
CambriaRising
ii Stryker
Puppet Shadow
GrizzNKev
Palette Swap

Me. At the very least I want an option to turn individual elements off like that stupid hitman/splinter cell conviction alert rings. You have a freakin minimap that shows enemies in red dots so why do I need giant rings in my face?

I agree with Sethos. The visuals don't justify the performance killing from the screens I've seen.

If a game is going to make a huge leap and molest my eyes then I'm okay with current cards chugging, but that? Eh.

NBtoaster

I don't mind objective markers on the HUD because it can be useful for long journeys in vehicles where nothing happens like in Just Cause 2. Looking at the map in Far Cry 2 and driving at the same time was a pain, because you weren't looking at obstacles and were just following the road lines.

I replayed a bit of Far Cry 2 today and the map reading was one of the biggest irritants..

But I also support a no HUD option (or better, a tweakable AC style HUD). It does look a bit cluttered.

About the graphics, I think it looks like a nicer curent gen Far Cry, though far away ground does look a little Oblivion-esque.

I agree with Sethos. The visuals don't justify the performance killing from the screens I've seen.

If a game is going to make a huge leap and molest my eyes then I'm okay with current cards chugging, but that? Eh.

Remember, it's an open world game, so it should not be compared with FPSes and stuff, but games like Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row the Third.

I think the overall effect of the massive, detailed open world looks amazing.

Also, I think some people are somewhat romanticizing how good Far Cry 1 looked.

Sethos

Banned
Remember, it's an open world game, so it should not be compared with FPSes and stuff, but games like Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row the Third.

I think the overall effect of the massive, detailed open world looks amazing.

Also, I think some people are somewhat romanticizing how good Far Cry 1 looked.

And both Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row look about 20x better and oddly enough, runs 20x better.

Just because something is open world is not an excuse for a game to be a train wreck performance wise, it's not like the entire playing area is rendered in one chunk.

Derrick01

Banned
And both Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row look about 20x better and oddly enough, runs 20x better.

Saints Row 3 doesn't look or run better than any open world game I can think of outside of Saints Row 2 PC. I can run witcher 2 at better settings and performance than SR3.

Sethos

Banned
Saints Row 3 doesn't look or run better than any open world game I can think of outside of Saints Row 2 PC. I can run witcher 2 at better settings and performance than SR3.

Never had any issues with it, nor has any of my friends. Runs perfect without any hitches, even on lower-end machines.

iddqd

Did anyone here already play the 360 version?
I'm wondering how bad the frame rate really is.
One of the reviews was not happy about the chugging and tearing.

Derrick01

Banned
Never had any issues with it, nor has any of my friends. Runs perfect without any hitches, even on lower-end machines.

I have what probably qualifies as mid to lower-high spec machine and I have to turn a bunch of settings down and still can't get a steady 60fps. I mean it's still more than playable but considering how fugly the game is it shouldn't run that poorly.

7he Talon

I'm excited for the map editor mostly. Loved playing peoples maps in Far Cry 2.

The new approach looks like it has great potential.

Did anyone here already play the 360 version?
I'm wondering how bad the frame rate really is.
One of the reviews was not happy about the chugging and tearing.

I've got the 360 version and I haven't really noticed anything in the way of bad framerate. As for tearing, I haven't seen any. Running on a 250Gb 360 without the game installed.

The initial load and the load when/if you die is quite slow and there's occasional pop-in of assets and textures but nothing major considering you can travel from one end of the island to the other without a single loading screen.

Top Bottom