• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 - NVIDIA Trailer

Dr Dogg

A Far Cry with decent shadowing (PCSS) and AO that is accurate (HBAO+) and not a work of fiction? This is going to be great to compare this to 3 for the laughs.

Seanspeed

Banned
That animal fur looks pretty good.
It does, but its *so* taxing. But turning it off seems to create that sort of aliasing horror that we're seeing lately from poorly anti-aliased hair/fur. Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't, unless you've got a really powerful card. :)

Khrno

This game has been pre-ordered (on PC) for about 5 months already, getting a 970 (or 980 still undecided) tomorrow just to play this (and ACU and GTAV and The Witcher 3).

danwarb

One of the consoles should've gone for an Nvidia GPU. We'd have easy GPU compute and fancy physics in most games.

Akronis

I'm so on the fence for this game. I want it because coop looks like a blast, but it's Ubisoft and I don't want more generic open-world Ubi formula garbage :(

Seanspeed

Banned
Not a fan of the soft shadows at all.
I don't think they showed it well there in the video. I think its really apparent when you see an object's shadow coming right off of the object and into the distance a bit. It doesn't look right when the entire shadow is well-defined.

When you just see it on a wall like they showed in the video, it is more realistic, but you're not seeing how far away the object is to really make it apparent how soft or defined it should be.

I admit it will be one of the first things I turn off if my performance isn't what I want, though.

btags

Undoubtedly, the Face Off thread is going to be entertaining.

I am expecting pc to come out as the top platform graphics wise, as it always should for a multiplatform release. Still, people will shout from the rooftops that their console of choice could produce better graphics and that it is a lazy port job or parity bs.

Damian.

Banned
Hopefully the hairworks is better than most PhysX implementations because with it off it looks worse than Star Fox Adventures. Pitiful for a 2014 presentation.

Kezen

Banned
I am expecting pc to come out as the top platform graphics wise, as it always should for a multiplatform release. Still, people will shout from the rooftops that their console of choice could produce better graphics and that it is a lazy port job or parity bs.

That's the narrative I expect to see.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Andy, do you know if SLI is on the cards for this title? It's not mentioned with the other features on NVIDIA's site for this game.

ubisoft games are usually SLI ready

Denton

So which of these are available on AMD?
Not TXAA...

But HBAO and Hairworks should, right? What about the godrays ?

Dammit I wish it was possible for both AMD and nVidia to work on the same game.

Kezen

Banned
Hairworks doesn't use PhysX.
It does not even use CUDA.

Outside of TXAA how many of these features will I be unable to use as an AMD user?
Every single one of them. But be warned though : Hairworks uses isoline tessellation which is not efficient on GCN cards. Performance hit is going to be even more egregious.
tfx_tr_perf.png

No thanks, they can't work (and shouldn't) together. Competition breeds innovation.
You can use any features aside from TXAA but as stipulated above the performance hit will most likely be more severe. Gameworks is highly optimized for Nvidia cards (obviously), they are in no obligation whatsoever to optimize for their rivals.
It's up to AMD to get in touch with Ubi to make sure the game runs as well as it can on their hardware.

pestul

Hmm.. this or AC Unity as my free game from Newegg? I'm thinking FC4 since I just started to play ACIV.

But would it melt PS4?

Some very nice stuff in there, especially the hair. I don't really want the game, but it would be nice to test my 970s... FC3 had moments of brilliance but was too much Ubisoft formula. Oh, and can we ban TXAA? I want that MFAA.

Binabik15

It does not even use CUDA.

Every single one of them. But be warned though : Hairworks uses isoline tessellation which is not efficient on GCN cards. Performance hit is going to be even more egregious.
tfx_tr_perf.png

No thanks, they can't work (and shouldn't) together. Competition breeds innovation.
You can use any features aside from TXAA but as stipulated above the performance hit will most likely be more severe. Gameworks is highly optimized for Nvidia cards (obviously), they are in no obligation whatsoever to optimize for their rivals.
It's up to AMD to get in touch with Ubi to make sure the game runs as well as it can on their hardware.

Or anticompetetive behaviour :p

Those tigers have hair that is almost as luxurious as the Witcher wolves, but not quite. They should use a different shampoo.

Qassim

So which of these are available on AMD?
Not TXAA...

But HBAO and Hairworks should, right? What about the godrays ?

If other games that implement this stuff are anything to go off:

TXAA won't be available on non NVIDIA hardware.

cripterion

I thought TXAA would fade away after they anounced MFAA. I know some people find it blurry and all but I kinda like the soft look it gave to Black Flag on X4 settings.

Nugg

That must be the cleanest yak in the world, straight out of some shampoo commercial or something.

Top Bottom