• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5: E3 2017 Official Gameplay

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity, bruv?

sddefault.jpg
Far Cry Primal

None of them have gone for the attitude and the possible themes that initial trailer conveyed.

Apart from the first minute of the gameplay, that footage showed off literally none of it.

Well I mean.. yeah. I'm not sure why you expected any different and I don't even like Far Cry that much.

Lord Phol

Hm, looks more interesting than 4 at least. Also looks like it has much better hit reactions and gunplay which is a big plus in shooters IMO.

MegaMelon

I'm not sure what vibe the game is going for. The footage has been fairly macabre to start with but then goes full 'target fucking acquired!' halfway through.

Jocund

Well I mean.. yeah. I'm not sure why you expected any different and I don't even like Far Cry that much.
Going by the midwest setting and law enforcement angle, some people expected a neo-western in the vein of Justified/No Country. Playing a sheriff, one might expect the action and the pacing of the game to be a little more considered.

Instead it's the same no-man's-land shooty shooty bang bang bullshit literally every Far Cry (save for maybe the second one) trades in. That's okay, I guess, but the potential in the premise seems kinda squandered to me.

Liamc723

Pretty sure the opening of Far Cry 4 has your bus driver executed right in front of you. The tone has always been all over the place.

That's one little moment. Not your entire reveal and trailer dedicated to an entire cult that has cut itself off from the rest of the world and has a white supremacist vibe.

But that new footage took such a light tone with it, not what I was wanting. So disappointing.

Fury451

Banned
I'm not sure what vibe the game is going for. The footage has been fairly macabre to start with but then goes full 'target fucking acquired!' halfway through.

WIldlands does the same thing.

Horrific cartel shit everywhere, then your character yelling "shit balls!"

I always enjoy the series, but this did look pretty samey.

GB commented on that and I agree. I think they switched the tone of the trailer to counter reactions to the first trailer.

They seemed to be trying to show the game in a more serious tone at first but this trailer...it's like they just want to gloss the theme over with 'IT'S FARCRY, DO CRAZY STUFF WEEEEEEE!'

The story/theme is what made me interested. Otherwise I played Farcry 3 and 4 and that will be enough.

Still haven't done much to show the difference between this and 4, other than the setting.

I loved 4, but I'll need to know more about the actual gameplay hooks. I'm sure there will be some playthroughs that will explain more though.

Going by the midwest setting and law enforcement angle, some people expected a neo-western in the vein of Justified/No Country. Playing a sheriff, one might expect the action and the pacing of the game to be a little more considered.

Instead it's the same no-man's-land shooty shooty bang bang bullshit literally every Far Cry (save for maybe the second one) trades in. That's okay, I guess, but the potential in the premise seems kinda squandered to me.

I agree, just saying it was naive to think otherwise.

BlackJace

My only hang up is the Uncharted problem: it's hard for me to take the conflict seriously when you're killing potentially thousands of members of this cult in Montana. How big could this cult actually be?

Sorta same here. And how would word not get out to the government about this shit?

120v

far cry was always kind of stupid explaining away why a modern society was unreachable. Far Cry Murrica is obvs not going to be cutting edge reality, whatevs

One of the key components of the Far Cry franchise is the antagonist, so I was dissapointed we didn't get to know more about the hipster cult leader douchebag.I would have loved a monologue like the ones we saw in the Far Cry 3 and 4 reveal

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I apologize in advance for getting political, but I wish Ubisoft took things even further in offering a social condemnation on American Christian Fundamentalism---not just a generic cult. Art forms have the ability to have great influence and act as pillars of critique, and popular media often lets fervorant evangelical behavior slide.

Coffinhal

I apologize in advance for getting political, but I wish Ubisoft took things even further in offering a social condemnation on American Christian Fundamentalism---not just a generic cult. Art forms have the ability to have great influence and act as pillars of critique.

You're right. But Ubisoft makes entertainment products, their settings never get intentionally political, and when they unintentionnally do it's rather reactionnary (AC:Unity, The Division), including in the gameplay mechanics.

They use them to be like a theme park, a cool and refreshing background. They don't have the reflexivity that Rockstar can have for instance despite making big AAA games. It's sad but it won't change and they aren't going to push the medium forward as artists. Even a small game Valliant Hearts was a poor game about WW1 with lots of historical clichés and absolutely nothing game design-wise that tried to say something about the war : it was just a setting/skin for a poor adventure/puzzle-game.

I mean the government might be like waco was a mistake, they didn't even step in on those militia dipshits taking over a national park office or something
It's not such a stretch to me that they'd not show up here

erlim

You're right. But Ubisoft makes entertainment products, their settings never get intentionally political, and when they unintentionnally do it's rather reactionnary (AC:Unity, The Division), including in the gameplay mechanics.

They use them to be like a theme park, a cool and refreshing background. They don't have the reflexivity that Rockstar can have for instance despite making big AAA games. It's sad but it won't change and they aren't going to push the medium forward as artists. Even a small game Valliant Hearts was a poor game about WW1 with lots of historical clichés and absolutely nothing game design-wise that tried to say something about the war : it was just a setting/skin for a poor adventure/puzzle-game.

I actually really enjoyed Valiant Hearts; it's art style drew me in big time, and I did find it to be resonant.

Skyzard

Banned
Looks like more far cry to me tbh.

If they have good temporal aa on PC I'd consider it, really enjoyed 4 but not sold on this quite yet.

Mafia 3/Yakuza 0 quality story cutscenes would sell it. Far Cry 4 type story would not.

I was excited after the first few trailers. This gameplay just looks like regular old shootey bang bang Far Cry. The story, if it is good, will save this game for me.

Stiler

I was kind of hoping for a bit more grounded game because of the setting, kind of takes away from that when they just go over the top and they don't even try to make the setting make sense for the type of story.

The whole "911 don't work" thing makes no sense....that's not how the police or government works, no Sherrif would be like "whelp, I got an entire cult killing people in the streets and taking over my town, I best team up with some random people and definitely NOT call for national guard support or anything.

Still it might be fun, definitely was hoping for something a bit different from the usual far cry type of gameplay though.

Coffinhal

I actually really enjoyed Valiant Hearts; it's art style drew me in big time, and I did find it to be resonant.

Yeah I know some people loved it but if you want to talk about it on a political - or historical - level, it's very poor. It relies heavily on pathos (god the music...) for the storytelling, it has many historical errors, the documentary part is just texts and photos in a menu... Hell, the big "vilain" of the game was, of course, a German, with a big skull cask that was from the nazis. It doesn't go further than a cartoon for kids and the level historical knowledge and analysis is for a 8-years old tops.

I was kind of hoping for a bit more grounded game because of the setting, kind of takes away from that when they just go over the top and they don't even try to make the setting make sense for the type of story.

The whole "911 don't work" thing makes no sense....that's not how the police or government works, no Sherrif would be like "whelp, I got an entire cult killing people in the streets and taking over my town, I best team up with some random people and definitely NOT call for national guard support or anything.

Still it might be fun, definitely was hoping for something a bit different from the usual far cry type of gameplay though.

I'm sure they tried to justify a bit better but anyway who cares haha?

And I'm not sure what you expected : it's Far Cry, they have a good working formula since FC3 and just like Assassin's Creed they will only build on it and reinvent some mechanics every 2-3 games.

I mean the government might be like waco was a mistake, they didn't even step in on those militia dipshits taking over a national park office or something
It's not such a stretch to me that they'd not show up here
That's a real stupid point of comparison when this shows people getting murdered in the streets and seems to be spread over a large area rather than a single building.

erlim

Yeah I know some people loved it but if you want to talk about it on a political - or historical - level, it's very poor. It relies heavily on pathos (god the music...) for the storytelling, it has many historical errors, the documentary part is just texts and photos in a menu... Hell, the big "vilain" of the game was, of course, a German, with a big skull cask that was from the nazis. It doesn't go further than a cartoon for kids and the level historical knowledge and analysis is for a 8-years old tops.

I see where you're coming from. To that end, it's nice Far Cry is even a step in the right direction. It's very broad and not scathing, but maybe it could eventually pave the way for something more relevant and resonant down the line.

You can't say Trump doesn't exist and then have "resist" graffiti. That's just, I dunno, crappy. Either go there or don't.

And this trailer is completely out of whack with those cool teasers and character backgrounds. Hope the game will end up feeling more like those.

Coffinhal

I see where you're coming from. To that end, it's nice Far Cry is even a step in the right direction. It's very broad and not scathing, but maybe it could eventually pave the way for something more relevant and resonant down the line.

I don't expect it to be more than just a funny setting, but maybe they'll do something else with it ? We'll see.

As of it being an example of a new trend for Ubisoft, I don't believe they are going political or real artists if that's what you meant.

dan2026

I feel like they just de-sold me on the game.

I thought it was going to be this serious story, but the trailer was all 'here's your doggy buddy and thumbs up bomb dropping plane guy'.

I don't know what to think any more about this game.

Top Bottom