• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - PS5 Gameplay 4K HDR 60FPS (HD Texture Pack)

Kuranghi

This needs context. Specs? FC5 runs beautifully (and is STILL beautiful to this day) running on mid-high to high end hardware around 4k at 60fps. Very few stutters.

I have a 3770K and GTX 1080. I set it to 60hz refresh rate with optimised settings and even at 1080p couldn't keep 60 locked. I know AC is super heavy on the CPU but I didn't think FC was like that and even then I thought it'd reach 60 fps at the very least, maybe I'm dreaming. Its runs at locked 30hz native 4K with near max settings and only stutter there was autosave/loading very very ocasionally, nothing like the stutters I saw when trying to run at 60hz. This was with external fps caps, there was a constant microstutter without doing that on top of other stutters.

If I look at benchmarks of GTX 1080 (with overkill CPU usually) running it then its like 45-50 when travelling around generally and down to 30-35 during action (which are the moments I'm targetting to be locked really). Turning down settings does boost that up ofc but I could never hit 60fps locked even at 1080p and medium settings.

Would you not consider a GTX 1080 mid-high HW?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have a 3770K and GTX 1080. I set it to 60hz refresh rate with optimised settings and even at 1080p couldn't keep 60 locked. I know AC is super heavy on the CPU but I didn't think FC was like that and even then I thought it'd reach 60 fps at the very least, maybe I'm dreaming. Its runs at locked 30hz native 4K with near max settings and only stutter there was autosave/loading very very ocasionally, nothing like the stutters I saw when trying to run at 60hz. This was with external fps caps, there was a constant microstutter without doing that on top of other stutters.

If I look at benchmarks of GTX 1080 (with overkill CPU usually) running it then its like 45-50 when travelling around generally and down to 30-35 during action (which are the moments I'm targetting to be locked really). Turning down settings does boost that up ofc but I could never hit 60fps locked even at 1080p and medium settings.

A 1080 is around 8 tflops at max clocks. There is something wrong with your setup.

107 average at 1080p at ultra quality. The x1x runs this game at native 4k 30 fps. That means you wouldve needed a 12 tflops gpu to run it at max quality at 4k 60 fps and there werent any 12 tflops gpu out at the time. 1080 Ti is around 11 tflops at max clocks and gets you to 54 fps on average.

But console settings are typically medium to high so a 1080 shouldve given you well over 60 fps at 1440p and medium settings. it averages 78 fps at ultra settings in these benchmarks.

Maybe your system was bottlenecked by a bad CPU or slow ram bandwidth.

1080p-p.webp

Kuranghi

A 1080 is around 8 tflops at max clocks. There is something wrong with your setup.

107 average at 1080p at ultra quality. The x1x runs this game at native 4k 30 fps. That means you wouldve needed a 12 tflops gpu to run it at max quality at 4k 60 fps and there werent any 12 tflops gpu out at the time. 1080 Ti is around 11 tflops at max clocks and gets you to 54 fps on average.

But console settings are typically medium to high so a 1080 shouldve given you well over 60 fps at 1440p and medium settings. it averages 78 fps at ultra settings in these benchmarks.

1080p-p.webp

The RAM could be the bottleneck I guess, thats old by virtue of me using a Z77 board, my CPU is 4 cores, 8 threads and its running at 4.3Ghz in boost mode.

It didn't make sense to me with what I saw in benchmarks either 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The RAM could be the bottleneck I guess, thats old by virtue of me using a Z77 board, my CPU is 4 cores, 8 threads and its running at 4.3Ghz in boost mode.

It didn't make sense to me with what I saw in benchmarks either 🤷‍♂️
The RAM would typically be a 5-10% hit max. Maybe even less. I think your CPU might be the bottleneck if it was an AMD CPU, but if it was an intel CPU then im lost because their 4 core 8 thread CPUs shouldve been able to run everything at 60 fps last gen.

I recently upgraded my CPU from 8700 (6 core 12 threads) to 11700k (8 cores 16 threads) and saw pretty significant gains in performance but only at high refresh rates like 120 fps. the CPU isnt even taxed that much at 60 fps and below.

Kuranghi

The RAM would typically be a 5-10% hit max. Maybe even less. I think your CPU might be the bottleneck if it was an AMD CPU, but if it was an intel CPU then im lost because their 4 core 8 thread CPUs shouldve been able to run everything at 60 fps last gen.

I recently upgraded my CPU from 8700 (6 core 12 threads) to 11700k (8 cores 16 threads) and saw pretty significant gains in performance but only at high refresh rates like 120 fps. the CPU isnt even taxed that much at 60 fps and below.

Exactly, thats why I was so puzzled, I just gave up and whacked it up to 4K but played at 30hz isntead. I didn't finish because it felt pretty shit to play for obvious reasons.

I could understand my 3770K creaking for something more recent but I don't get this one, anyway, I already beat it on PS4 back when it came out so I'm not missing anything and I'll get a better experience on PS5 with Far Cry 6 from what I'm reading so not gonna worry about it.

edit - Hmmm, could it be my HDD where the game is stored being too full? Its 3TB with 200GB free, I guess thats less than 10% free so maybe thats the issue? Thats not my system drive, my system drive is an SSD with nearly 20% free (its only 120GB).

Last edited:

hlm666

You seem to have a problem somewhere if your 1080 is struggling at 1080p

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
PS5 disc version arrived today and installing now.

Far Cry 6 - 38.9Gb
Update file - 37.8Gb

No mention of actual texture pack, just the update file size.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You seem to have a problem somewhere if your 1080 is struggling at 1080p

I just booted it up again to check because I'm a maniac who tries to fix games I'm not even playing. These benchmarks line up perfectly with what I get fps-wise, in-game I am around 80% usage at 1440p. V-sync is on, so you'd imagine 80fps would be the average without it on. This is at ultra settings.

The overlay says my CPU usage is between 40% and 60% depending on the scene, CPU 1 is never maxed either so its not that, 75% was an outlier over 5 minutes of gameplay but mostly its around the same as the average usage for all cores.

So I'm definitely not being held back by the CPU, something else causing these frametime spikes. Its absolutely terrible without an fps cap (I mean the frametime graph looks like a thick fuzzy line and is on average 22ms) but after I apply an fps cap its much better but still stutters every few seconds or so, when you turn to look at a big collection of geometry or any time a line of dialogue plays.

I've just thought if loading audio asset is causing a spike maybe it could be my HDD access speed 🤔 as I suppose limiting to 30fps would give more than enough time to cover those spikes if they were still happening.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I just booted it up again to check because I'm a maniac who tries to fix games I'm not even playing. These benchmarks line up perfectly with what I get fps-wise, in-game I am around 80% usage at 1440p. V-sync is on, so you'd imagine 80fps would be the average without it on. I'm at ultra settings, 1440p and the overlay says my CPU usage is between 40% and 60% depending on the scene, CPU 1 is never maxed either so its not that, 75% was an outlier over 5 minutes of gameplay but mostly its around the same as the average usage for all cores.

So I'm definitely not being held back by the CPU, something else causing these frametime spikes. Its absolutely terrible without an fps cap (I mean the frametime graph looks like a thick fuzzy line and is on average 22ms) but after I apply an fps cap its much better but still stutters every few seconds or so, when you turn to look at a big collection of geometry or any time a line of dialogue plays.

I've just thought if loading audio asset is causing a spike maybe it could be my HDD access speed 🤔 as I suppose limiting to 30fps would give more than enough time to cover those spikes if they were still happening.
Its probably your CPU. Dont go by CPU usage. Last gen games were designed around 1.6 ghz single threaded jaguar CPUs and dont utilize the CPUs well.

I remember running Far Cry 3 on my GTX 570 and an AMD FX 4 core CPU and it struggled to run at 1080p 60 fps at max settings. That was a PS4 caliber GPU struggling to run a PS3 game at double the resolution and framerate. I remember having to change the settings to medium to get a stable 60 fps just because my CPU wasnt on par with the latest intel CPUs.

I think a CPU upgrade for you is in order. I recently upgraded my mobo and CPU so i know how daunting it can be, but your GPU should be fine for this cross gen period so might as well invest in a new mobo and CPU while they are cheap. stay away from intel CPUs though. AMD's latest lineup is much more power efficient and runs much cooler than the latest intel CPUs.

Kuranghi

Its probably your CPU. Dont go by CPU usage. Last gen games were designed around 1.6 ghz single threaded jaguar CPUs and dont utilize the CPUs well.

I remember running Far Cry 3 on my GTX 570 and an AMD FX 4 core CPU and it struggled to run at 1080p 60 fps at max settings. That was a PS4 caliber GPU struggling to run a PS3 game at double the resolution and framerate. I remember having to change the settings to medium to get a stable 60 fps just because my CPU wasnt on par with the latest intel CPUs.

I think a CPU upgrade for you is in order. I recently upgraded my mobo and CPU so i know how daunting it can be, but your GPU should be fine for this cross gen period so might as well invest in a new mobo and CPU while they are cheap. stay away from intel CPUs though. AMD's latest lineup is much more power efficient and runs much cooler than the latest intel CPUs.

I definitely will do that when I get more dosh but can't do it right now. If you google "far cry 5 pc stuttering" then you still get results from even 2 months ago (on nvidia forums) and a year ago on steam forums of people with NVME drives and much more modern CPUs than I have, the threads all end with no definitive fix. I feel like I'm just overly sensitive to this sort of thing tbh but its just so often and distracting I cant deal with it.

Anyway, who cares about FC5, FC6 is here now! lol Cheers for replying though. I just saw the FC6 benchmarks in the other thread and it would be GPU limited at 1440p ultra on my GTX 1080, could do 4K30 it looks like but I don't want to play FC in 30hz again so gonna get it on PS5.

Far Cry 6 - 38.9Gb
Update file - 37.8Gb

LOL

That's an Ubisoft game, alright! A Day One patch that is the same size as the game on disc (so why even bother installing the disc at all:?) plus screen tearing (yuck!). The only games I've seen screen tearing in on PS5 have all been Ubisoft games (Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Watch_Dogs: Legions 60 fps mode). Well done!

Oh Ubisoft... you always surprise me and yet disappoint me at the same time.

What a fuckstoopid comment. I guess the last 3 AC games looks like dogshit then? That's funny, because I remember them looking pretty good. I could care less about another Rockstar game that's a fucking chore to play and controls like ass with over-long animations and dogshit controls from 2005.

Tell us how you really feel.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
LOL

That's an Ubisoft game, alright! A Day One patch that is the same size as the game on disc (so why even bother installing the disc at all:?) plus screen tearing (yuck!). The only games I've seen screen tearing in on PS5 have all been Ubisoft games (Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Watch_Dogs: Legions 60 fps mode). Well done!

Oh Ubisoft... you always surprise me and yet disappoint me at the same time.
Yeah back of the box says up to 50 gig storage required then the actual install size is around 69 gig - so it doesn’t add up either way 😂

Gold Member

Far Cry 6 - 38.9Gb
Update file - 37.8Gb

So I read that if you have 60 odd GB you have the texture pack installed. Also it’s different if you have the disc version (I do as well) where you just get that giant 37GB update file and not a separate DL as you do for the digital version

The way to check is it will say on the top left side of the title menu it should say HD pack or some shit like that - I haven’t had time to check this yet today but I read it here…

Kuranghi

This needs context. Specs? FC5 runs beautifully (and is STILL beautiful to this day) running on mid-high to high end hardware around 4k at 60fps. Very few stutters.

This is what I was talking about happening in Far Cry 5, except its not as bad in FC6:

The engine seems to have inherent problems, I know its not exactly earth shatteringly bad but I really notice stuff like that and more so on a big screen. Its way worse than that in FC5 for me though, a lot of stuttering when panning the camera and travelling at speed on foot or in a vehicle.

In the video Alex said you can fix it by playing at really low settings at 1080p on a 3090 but I'd hardly call that a fix.

Kenpachii

I definitely will do that when I get more dosh but can't do it right now. If you google "far cry 5 pc stuttering" then you still get results from even 2 months ago (on nvidia forums) and a year ago on steam forums of people with NVME drives and much more modern CPUs than I have, the threads all end with no definitive fix. I feel like I'm just overly sensitive to this sort of thing tbh but its just so often and distracting I cant deal with it.

Anyway, who cares about FC5, FC6 is here now! lol Cheers for replying though. I just saw the FC6 benchmarks in the other thread and it would be GPU limited at 1440p ultra on my GTX 1080, could do 4K30 it looks like but I don't want to play FC in 30hz again so gonna get it on PS5.

U got a SSD or still using a old HDD? If you use a old HDD defrag it.

Also try borderless window mode see if that fixes it at ( monitor > window mode )

if not put all the visuals on low and see if the stuttering keeps happening, maybe a setting is messing with your hardware.

Last edited:
So PS5 can handle HD Texture Pack but an RTX3080 with 10GB VRAM can't. Um, lol ok
Even some RTX3090 owners have inconsistency's with HD Texture's enabled.

Fucking Ubisoft LOL

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
So PS5 can handle HD Texture Pack but an RTX3080 with 10GB VRAM can't. Um, lol ok
Even some RTX3090 owners have inconsistency's with HD Texture's enabled.

Fucking Ubisoft LOL

Is this better with or without the HD texture pack on PC or not? I have 8GB VRAM as well but if it's a shit show with the texture pack then I won't bother.

Or maybe I should just not bother subscribing to Ubi+ and just play Just Cause 4 instead...

Kenpachii

Is this better with or without the HD texture pack on PC or not? I have 8GB VRAM as well but if it's a shit show with the texture pack then I won't bother.

Or maybe I should just not bother subscribing to Ubi+ and just play Just Cause 4 instead...

pretty sure u can run it wihtout hd textures which makes it work fine, if you got problems just use fsr then on quality will reduce v-ram consumption also.

Reactions: GHG

You HAVE TO turn off HD Texture Pack if you don't meet the 16GB VRAM requirement for it but like I said before there are guys with 3090's that have texture loading issues with the feature turned on.

I've since turned off HD Textures as it caused a whole lot of muddy textures on my weapon and other open world objects. It just looks like shit and its such an eyesore when you come across low res stuff (which happens most times on the weapons).

Without HD Textures the game looks alright but you do notice the difference. On my 3080 I hit 80+ frames with everything on Ultra (+ Ray Tracing) and HD Textures turned off @ 1440p. I'm sure I would be comfortably above 60fps if I gamed at 4K.
For Nvidia users its probably best to turn the HD Texture pack off because its clear there's $$$ involved here with the AMD partnership. These Nvidia cards should be able to run this game with everything turned on without issue.

Reactions: GHG

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
But your ok with the killing and skinning all the other animals.. Makes total sense..
Dispatching an animal instantly and efficiently would bring no suffering, there is no comparison between hunting and blood sports. Blood sports are sadistic and cause a tremendous amount of suffering before death. Surely you can see the difference or are you trolling?

Be interesting to know how much vram the next gen consoles utilize. You’d think it’d easily be under 10GB or close to.

Does VRS artifacts show on the Pc version?

GHG

Gold Member
You HAVE TO turn off HD Texture Pack if you don't meet the 16GB VRAM requirement for it but like I said before there are guys with 3090's that have texture loading issues with the feature turned on.

I've since turned off HD Textures as it caused a whole lot of muddy textures on my weapon and other open world objects. It just looks like shit and its such an eyesore when you come across low res stuff (which happens most times on the weapons).

Without HD Textures the game looks alright but you do notice the difference. On my 3080 I hit 80+ frames with everything on Ultra (+ Ray Tracing) and HD Textures turned off @ 1440p. I'm sure I would be comfortably above 60fps if I gamed at 4K.
For Nvidia users its probably best to turn the HD Texture pack off because its clear there's $$$ involved here with the AMD partnership. These Nvidia cards should be able to run this game with everything turned on without issue.

16GB VRAM requirement? WTF?

Why are the HD texture's so unoptimized on PC? If the consoles can handle them (do they?) then there's no reason why the PC version shouldn't be able to if they were compressed correctly.

Kenpachii

Be interesting to know how much vram the next gen consoles utilize. You’d think it’d easily be under 10GB or close to.

Does VRS artifacts show on the Pc version?

xbox series x has only 10gb of fast v-ram, so they would want to stay within that. however both consoles can address probably a maximum of 12gb in total PS5 can do it more easier on that front.
16GB VRAM requirement? WTF?

Why are the HD texture's so unoptimized on PC? If the consoles can handle them (do they?) then there's no reason why the PC version shouldn't be able to if they were compressed correctly.

Because AMD paid them to do so. The same way why valhalla is so unoptimized on ampere.

There is no excuse here.

Making HD textures = extra work, u could just not have released them.
Adding RT to only PC version just to make it run just as performand or even worse then a 6800xt is also telling, with no way to enable RT or toggle anything to more indebt levels because that would put the 6000's in a bad light.
The same way why DLSS wasn't implemented, even while it cost no effort to do so.
11gb target was specifically targetted in order to kill of the 3080 for this setting.
also only 1% has more then 10gb of v-ram through steam survey. and probably 1-2% more then 8gb and the 6000 series does not exist in the steamcharts that's how little people have the cards.

In short, they did everything they could and spended time on it to make it as negative as possible for ampere.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Dispatching an animal instantly and efficiently would bring no suffering, there is no comparison between hunting and blood sports. Blood sports are sadistic and cause a tremendous amount of suffering before death. Surely you can see the difference or are you trolling?
All I have to say I’m not a very good shot and there is probably more suffering because of that. And most importantly it’s a FN video game!!! Nothing is real!!

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
All I have to say I’m not a very good shot and there is probably more suffering because of that. And most importantly it’s a FN video game!!! Nothing is real!!
Yourself like many others here are just being facetious. Agree to disagree or just acknowledge I disagree and that won't be altered.👍

Last edited:
xbox series x has only 10gb of fast v-ram, so they would want to stay within that. however both consoles can address probably a maximum of 12gb in total PS5 can do it more easier on that front.

Because AMD paid them to do so. The same way why valhalla is so unoptimized on ampere.

There is no excuse here.

Making HD textures = extra work, u could just not have released them.
Adding RT to only PC version just to make it run just as performand or even worse then a 6800xt is also telling, with no way to enable RT or toggle anything to more indebt levels because that would put the 6000's in a bad light.
The same way why DLSS wasn't implemented, even while it cost no effort to do so.
11gb target was specifically targetted in order to kill of the 3080 for this setting.
also only 1% has more then 10gb of v-ram through steam survey. and probably 1-2% more then 8gb and the 6000 series does not exist in the steamcharts that's how little people have the cards.

In short, they did everything they could and spended time on it to make it as negative as possible for ampere.
Pretty much this. Brilliant post.

dano1

A Sheep
Yourself like many others here are just being facetious. Agree to disagree or just acknowledge I disagree and that won't be altered.👍
I just don’t take life that seriously. I think shooting 1000s of people to finish this game is much worse than a few chickens poking each other. Both are bad in real life.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Loved everything from Blood Dragon to New Dawn, this game sucks. The tone is too subdued and the graphics are horrible, maybe it’s a bug or bad HDR, anti-aliasing? Fuzzy/blurry, vegetation looks awful from anywhere but an inch away, the lighting is bad… it’s Bethesda graphics, even with the “texture pack”, and it makes no sense because 5 looked so much better.

Surely you can see the difference between a video-game and real-life or are you trolling?

TVexperto

this game sucks in ultrawide. how do i turn off the blurry edges and TURN OFF chromatic aberration?? there is no option.

The Special Operation mission in the Dinosaur Theme Park is cool. Love the map they did.
It's also the easiest.
There's a fucking water fountain right by the extraction point. All I do is run around that fountain mowing down enemy NPCs.
Still fucking hate having to grind for industrial circuits this way.

GymWolf

Better without imo, i have stable framerate with both options but when you use it, some textures don't load and they look abysmal.

And even with the texture pack, the texture work is not exactly nextgen...i bet the difference is pretty minimal most of the times.

Better without imo, i have stable framerate with both options but when you use it, some textures don't load and they look abysmal.

And even with the texture pack, the texture work is not exactly nextgen...i bet the difference is pretty minimal most of the times.
I'm having texture loading issues even with HD texture pack turnef off.
How much fucking money did AMD slip Ubisoft when they made this game.

Last edited:
It's also the easiest.
There's a fucking water fountain right by the extraction point. All I do is run around that fountain mowing down enemy NPCs.
Still fucking hate having to grind for industrial circuits this way.
Don’t you get industrial circuits just by doing the one mission board thing where you send your leaders? I feel like I’ve gotten boatloads of materials from them. Also hunting

R6Rider

Gold Member
Was playing with a buddy who had the parkour set from the starting island. He's so fucking fast lmao. He's so fast and his internet is so bad that it looks like he's hacking.

GymWolf

Was playing with a buddy who had the parkour set from the starting island. He's so fucking fast lmao. He's so fast and his internet is so bad that it looks like he's hacking.
I only have the shoes, what bonus you get for the remaining pieces?

Since i fucking hate the driving in this game i like running fron a place to another (when i don't use the air-launch from base+air suit to reach any place immediately)

R6Rider

Gold Member

Since i fucking hate the driving in this game i like running fron a place to another (when i don't use the air-launch from base+air suit to reach any place immediately)
I think speed boost and more stamina. Don't have it yet myself.

GymWolf

I think speed boost and more stamina. Don't have it yet myself.
The game needs better traversal mechanics, something like just cause where you just cover great distances with ease between grappling hook and other stuff.

The flying suit is slow as fuck in this game.

You don't get brand set bonuses like you do in other games so there's no point equipping all the pieces in a particular set. You're better of with a mismatched setup.

You'll be amazed how fast you can move if you equip as many speed boosting clothing items on your character. I did that experiment one night and equipped throwing knives/axes. Cleared out enemy camps in record time. Just sprint around and spam knive throws. Was like entering a cheat code lol. Makes it easier if you tag enemies before you run around and if you equip the gear piece where knives/axes lock onto enemy targets.

The game needs better traversal mechanics, something like just cause where you just cover great distances with ease between grappling hook and other stuff.

Great idea but would make getting to higher ground (think treasure hunting) way too easy. Some of the treasure hunts have nice platforming puzzles you have to solve and I like that about the game.

What they can do is improve the wingsuit speed a bit and maybe introduce more gear that gives you ability to air dash ability without setting everything on fire lol.

Don’t you get industrial circuits just by doing the one mission board thing where you send your leaders? I feel like I’ve gotten boatloads of materials from them. Also hunting
I think you can get industrial circuits from the mission board. But for me it takes too long.
Also I've hunted the legendary crocodile and 1 other animal and bought specialized hunting gear. I heard you can turn some legendary animal skins in for industrial circuits but have no idea if these legendary animals respawn.

For me industrial circuits are hard to come by or maybe i'm playing the game wrong.

Last edited:

Great idea but would make getting to higher ground (think treasure hunting) way too easy. Some of the treasure hunts have nice platforming puzzles you have to solve and I like that about the game.

What they can do is improve the wingsuit speed a bit and maybe introduce more gear that gives you ability to air dash ability without setting everything on fire lol.

I think you can get industrial circuits from the mission board. But for me it takes too long.
Also I've hunted the legendary crocodile and 1 other animal and bought specialized hunting gear. I heard you can turn some legendary animal skins in for industrial circuits but have no idea if these legendary animals respawn.

For me industrial circuits are hard to come by or maybe i'm playing the game wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom