• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6: The Final Preview

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Day One baby!!! Looking forward to this. Watched a lot of gameplay today and looks great. Having a fully voiced protagonist and the cut scenes being in third person just adds another level of immersion and depth to the story and characters. Five more weeks to go!!!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Day One baby!!! Looking forward to this. Watched a lot of gameplay today and looks great. Having a fully voiced protagonist and the cut scenes being in third person just adds another level of immersion and depth to the story and characters. Five more weeks to go!!!
I disagree, I think 3rd person cutscenes break the immersion, because you can't change pov in real life.But it does help to convey a feeling of empathy towards the main character.In a rpg the main character is a projection of the player, your choice is their choice so there's no need to feel empathy toward yourself, but in a more linear story I think it is necessary to convey empathy toward the main character, you know he is not you but you understand how he/she feels.
So while I disagree about the immersion part I do think it is a geat idea and also why would I change the skin of my character in previous games to not be able to see him, for all that I know I could have a transvestite in a pink tutu in Farcry 5 (well there's the character customization but after that you never see yourself).

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree, I think 3rd person cutscenes break the immersion, because you can't change pov in real life.But it does help to convey a feeling of empathy towards the main character.In a rpg the main character is a projection of the player, your choice is their choice so there's no need to feel empathy toward yourself, but in a more linear story I think it is necessary to convey empathy toward the main character, you know he is not you but you understand how he/she feels.
So while I disagree about the immersion part I do think it is a geat idea and also why would I change the skin of my character in previous games to not be able to see him, for all that I know I could have a transvestite in a pink tutu in Farcry 5 (well there's the character customization but after that you never see yourself).
Reason I believe that it adds to the immersion is because you can see your character's facial animations and reactions throughout the conversations with NPC's which I believe will make the story overall the best it's been in Far Cry in years. While watching several preview videos with just the gameplay and no commentary, the story seems like it could be real good and the scenes where you see your character especially when surrounded early on in the game makes you feel like you're in danger where as if it was first person, you would only see the main NPC that you're talking to and that's it.

While in your home base, you move in third person and can talk to NPC's in your home base. Another reason I like is that you'll get to see what you're wearing but more importantly, hopefully, all the weapons and whatnot.

You can't change your character's skin color as the Dani character is preset. You can only select if you want to play as male or female Dani. The outfits and whatnot have stats and bonuses and mods if I remember correctly so that's why you would be changing gear. There's 5 pieces of gear that make a set. I like seeing my character wearing what I have equipped especially in cut scenes so this change makes me happy.

Overall, I believe that the voiced protagonist and the third person cinematic camera during story cut scenes will simply make the story better which after New Dawn which was horrible and Far Cry 5 which was bad due to being a silent protagonist which in turn wasted a good antagonist is very much needed in my opinion.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Reason I believe that it adds to the immersion is because you can see your character's facial animations and reactions throughout the conversations with NPC's which I believe will make the story overall the best it's been in Far Cry in years. While watching several preview videos with just the gameplay and no commentary, the story seems like it could be real good and the scenes where you see your character especially when surrounded early on in the game makes you feel like you're in danger where as if it was first person, you would only see the main NPC that you're talking to and that's it.

While in your home base, you move in third person and can talk to NPC's in your home base. Another reason I like is that you'll get to see what you're wearing but more importantly, hopefully, all the weapons and whatnot.

You can't change your character's skin color as the Dani character is preset. You can only select if you want to play as male or female Dani. The outfits and whatnot have stats and bonuses and mods if I remember correctly so that's why you would be changing gear. There's 5 pieces of gear that make a set. I like seeing my character wearing what I have equipped especially in cut scenes so this change makes me happy.

Overall, I believe that the voiced protagonist and the third person cinematic camera during story cut scenes will simply make the story better which after New Dawn which was horrible and Far Cry 5 which was bad due to being a silent protagonist which in turn wasted a good antagonist is very much needed in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong I generally agree with your post but I think 3rd person breaks a bit the immersion but profit a lot to the understanding and appreciation of your character.Which I think is the right choice for this game, it seems like a good balance.But in an 1st person rpg where you make the choices it wouldn't be a good idea because the projection of your persona to the main character would break.Some games needs total immersion and some needs to find a good balance between immersion and empathy.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong I generally agree with your post but I think 3rd person breaks a bit the immersion but profit a lot to the understanding and appreciation of your character.Which I think is the right choice for this game, it seems like a good balance.But in an 1st person rpg where you make the choices it wouldn't be a good idea because the projection of your persona to the main character would break.Some games needs total immersion and some needs to find a good balance between immersion and empathy.
As far as I know, there's no dialogue choices or a choice and consequence system in Far Cry 6. But even if there was, I would still want my character to talk and be seen after I select the choice im making because so many games that have a silent protagonist that just stands there during cut scenes in first or third person, it kills the immersion for me personally and always hurts the story because it feels like all the NPC's are talking to themselves. And if it's a game like Far Cry 5 where the antagonist is strong, it's made even worse because of the silent protagonist while at the same time, weakens the antagonist.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
As far as I know, there's no dialogue choices or a choice and consequence system in Far Cry 6. But even if there was, I would still want my character to talk and be seen after I select the choice im making because so many games that have a silent protagonist that just stands there during cut scenes in first or third person, it kills the immersion for me personally and always hurts the story because it feels like all the NPC's are talking to themselves. And if it's a game like Far Cry 5 where the antagonist is strong, it's made even worse because of the silent protagonist while at the same time, weakens the antagonist.
Amen we definitely need people to be more active and moving during dialogues.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Don't know what changed, but so far none of the footage isn't straining my eyes like FC5. Different lighting or something?
Anyway, FC is always fun. Will get the game when it's $10 in two years.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
This game just looks so generic. Graphics also look bland and boring.
Yeah the graphics bother me so much and I'm not a graphic whore, I'm just saying that this is next-gen and they should have updated the engine but then again I'm not surprised about Ubisoft using the same assets for each of their game. The game looks washed out.

It's fantastic how it looks so Far Cry, 100% like the previous, most recent ones, yet so insanely fun, way more than the previous ones

I'll go day one probably, I need a mindless game and this looks very funny and promising, they are putting a lot of detail in it and I love this

Also, I'm both sad for not having character full customization anymore, but also happy for finally having a talking and well defined protagonist, not a fan of editor made, mute avatars tbh

I'll go with the female Dani, looks too badass

Camreezie

This is the game I was the most hyped for for the rest of this year . After seeing someone of the footage I think it looks good but maybe not Day 1 price good

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Opening Remarks
01:12 The Premise
03:32 The Gameplay
06:08 The Amigos
08:43 The Shooting
10:17 Resolver Weapons
12:10 The Supremo
13:54 My Concerns

Last edited:
200.gif

Justin9mm

This is going to be the best Far Cry game in the entire series...you can just feel it.

Sorry, Far Cry 2, but your days are numbered.
I hope so, because I've tried them all and like the premise but find them boring and then I see FarCry 6 and for some reason the game still interests me.. I don't know what it is, whether it's Ubisoft open world design as I feel the same about all their games or the game is just not that exciting? And FPS' are my fav genre. Either way I really want to like FarCry 6 and hope it may be different because I still like what I see. I think 60fps in a next gen version will make a huge difference to the experience.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

People already spotted a Far Cry 3 Easter egg from trailers released previously, and during our hands-on experience with the game, we spotted two more that’ll instantly be recognizable to players who’ve been playing Far Cry for a while. We brought those up to Hall during an interview whenever ComicBook.com went hands-on with Far Cry 6, and the world director said the goal is to make sure those kinds of references are subtle nods that longtime fans will be able to recognize.

“I'm glad you picked up on it. It's a cheeky, little nod to experiences that some of our fans may have experienced before, and it's something that we were toying with as we went along,” Hall said. “How and when do we break the fourth wall? It's something that's subtle, and they're really in there for the fans, so that people that have played through different versions of the game before, they see that we were making a nod to certain things.”

We won’t spoil the Easter eggs here so that those who play Far Cry 6 later this year can experience them on their own, but one of them was another reference to Far Cry 3 while another was a callback to some of the most memorable villains from the past few games. Far Cry games have always been very much about the villains – possibly more so than the protagonists, at least until Far Cry 6 – so it makes sense that Easter eggs would reference those villains, too.

“When it comes to the villains themselves, we've always kind of look back at what was great about the previous games, and we want to bring all of that with us as we move forward into this new iteration,” Hall said.

Kenpachii

Interestingly, Ubisoft is recommending that the game be installed on a solid-state drive. The settings listed below are for machines running Windows 10--20H1 version or newer, 64-bit only--and are DirectX 12-compatible.

Minimum PC Settings​

1080p, 30 FPS, DirectX Raytracing Off

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 --3.1 GHZ or Intel i5-4460--3.2 GHZ
  • GPU: AMD RX 460 4 GB or NVIDIA GTX 960 4 GB
  • RAM: 8 GB (Dual-channel mode)
  • Storage: 60 GB HDD (SSD Recommended)

Recommended PC Settings​

1080p, 60 FPS, DirectX Raytracing Off

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X--3.8 GHZ or Intel i7-7700--3.6 GHZ
  • GPU: AMD RX VEGA64 8 GB or NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB
  • RAM: 16 GB (Dual-channel mode)
  • Storage: 60 GB HDD (SSD Recommended)
1440p, 60 FPS, DirectX Raytracing Off

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X--3.8 GHZ or Intel i7-9700--3.6 GHZ
  • GPU: AMD RX 5700XT 8 GB or NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB
  • Storage: 60 GB HDD (SSD Recommended) + 37 GB for HD textures (optional)
1440p, 60 FPS, DirectX Raytracing On

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X--3.7 GHZ or Intel i5-10600--4.1 GHZ
  • GPU: AMD RX 6900XT 16 BG or NVIDIA RTX 3070 8 GB
4K, 30 FPS, DirectX Raytracing On

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--3.7 GHZ or Intel i7-10700k--3.8 GHZ
  • GPU: AMD RX 6800 16 GB or NVIDIA RTX 3080 10 GB

No dlss, they do have FSR i guess.

Last edited:

Warablo

Looks like a good Far Cry game. Sharks are back.

You kinda have to be in the right mood to play and get into Ubisoft games, especially now that all of them feel like a generic factory produced game. They aren't terrible games.

DeaDPo0L84

With Dying Light 2 getting delayed to next year this shot up to day one purchase so me and my wife can have some fall coop fun.

Top Bottom