• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry New Dawn - Review Thread

Typhares

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/far-cry-new-dawn Currently 73 with 40 critics

Gamespot 6/10
Spoiler alert: At the end of Far Cry 5, the United States gets nuked. Seventeen years later, the region and residents of Hope County have endured and mostly recovered from the devastation anew. The vegetation is more abundant, society has been reshaped, and there is a hell of a lot more duct tape everywhere. Everything feels new and different--well, except for that fact that there's ruthless, tyrannical oppression taking over everything and it's up to you, and basically only you, to stop it. Some things never change. That's Far Cry New Dawn--despite a few new novelties and a great mechanical twist, New Dawn feels exactly like what it is: a direct continuation of Far Cry 5.

IGN 7.5/10
Ubisoft could've done more to refresh Hope County for Far Cry: New Dawn, but there's still some good, chaotic fun to be had here.

Humdinger

I think I'll pass. It looks like it doesn't have much new to offer, and I've already experienced the Far Cry formula 4 times now.

HotPocket69

Banned
The one thing that sounds cool is the super powers that you eventually get (double jump, super sprint, super strength and invisibility). Sounds like they're dipping their toes into some Crysis or even Saint's Row like powers. Wonder if it'll be something that stays with the series? It would certainly be a welcome change in my opinion as that series really hasn't grown gameplay wise since 3.

The one thing that sounds cool is the super powers that you eventually get (double jump, super sprint, super strength and invisibility). Sounds like they're dipping their toes into some Crysis or even Saint's Row like powers. Wonder if it'll be something that stays with the series? It would certainly be a welcome change in my opinion as that series really hasn't grown gameplay wise since 3.

Uhhm... so they are going back to the feral power of Far Cry Instincts? Hardly evolution then lol.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's a pass for me. I got FC3 and FC5, neither of which is as good as FC2. They found a formula and settled on it and honestly Ubi games just do nothing for me now. There's a parallel, for me, with Telltale, where they kept churning out effectively the same (non-)game and the first few times it was fun but eventually I just stopped caring. That's Ubisoft. No idea how many others feel the same but there's gotta be some burnout there.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have never played a Far Cry, but the Crysis comparisons are intriguing. Crysis is one of my favorite games.

Did all the FC5 expansions come out alreqdy? How were those?

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
FC5 had the best soundtrack of the year. Absolutely incredible.

Damn right! Seriously, best soundtrack all last year and one of the best ever. It absolutely should be discussed along side neir and red dead.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Damn right! Seriously, best soundtrack all last year and one of the best ever. It absolutely should be discussed along side neir and red dead.

Actually now that's the one thing Im curious about. Does ND have the same soundtrack as 5 or is it all new stuff from Romer (or another composer)?

Saber

Gold Member
This one was easly to avoid for me since the first time I saw it. I'm still fine with FC5 here.

Raven117

Gold Member
Actually now that's the one thing Im curious about. Does ND have the same soundtrack as 5 or is it all new stuff from Romer (or another composer)?
I don't know. If it does have Romer, Id buy it. If it doesn't, I'll wait a bit.
It had Creedence. Automatically puts it on the GOAT list.
Absolutely.

Hell, even the DLC with Vietnam had a good soundtrack (especially the ending credits song).

I wasn't expecting this game to be all that great, so not surprised by so-so scores. But then, I haven't enjoyed a FC game since 3. Even then, it wore out its welcome quickly. /JadedGamer

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have never played a Far Cry, but the Crysis comparisons are intriguing. Crysis is one of my favorite games.

Did all the FC5 expansions come out alreqdy? How were those?
The game is pretty good, but it has some of the worst "forced capture" sections that are annoying. I made a thread that I think the mistake the game makes is that it gives the player too much freedom in some places.

The DLC is godawful. I purchased it only for a free copy of Farcry 3 class. I figured that was worth $20 of the $40 cost and the remaining DLC was worth $20. I was wrong. DLC is worth $5 a piece at most.

It's a pass for me. I got FC3 and FC5, neither of which is as good as FC2. They found a formula and settled on it and honestly Ubi games just do nothing for me now. There's a parallel, for me, with Telltale, where they kept churning out effectively the same (non-)game and the first few times it was fun but eventually I just stopped caring. That's Ubisoft. No idea how many others feel the same but there's gotta be some burnout there.

Primal is as good as 2.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Where's my motherfucking Blood Dragon 2, Ubisoft?
I'm not sure they could re-capture what made that so good anymore. Still, there are any number of spinoff ideas that would have been better than this. Hell, Primal 2 would have been awesome.

Stuart360

I never like it when reviews mark down games for being 'more of the same', or 'too similar to its predecessor' etc. I really liked Far Cry 5 so if its 'more of the same' then thats all good by me.

-MD-

Me and a buddy are kinda trying to convince ourselves to finish FC5 still so this is definitely a pass for me.

Looks fine though if you just want more FC.

cars_on_Mars

Neo Member
The way they present post-apocalypse is unusual, but the game seems to be similar to others. Don't know if gonna play it. Rather no than yes.

Hostile_18

Banned
The thing with Assassins Creed and Far Crys are your essentially playing the same game year after year and while that's fine in and of itself it's generally more an addictive grind than outright fun in alot of cases, with a lot of busy work.

For me personally one entry every 3/4 years in each franchise is the sweet spot. While I loved Far Cry 5, I'm not hungry for more anytime soon.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The way they present post-apocalypse is unusual, but the game seems to be similar to others. Don't know if gonna play it. Rather no than yes.
The post-apocalypse fairy came, planted pink flowers, then upended and half buried all the cars.

scalman

I kinda like the game. Very good looking , dont need nvidia special effects runs great on middle specs pc. Its less depresion type then fc5 more fun and revenge. Again very good looking no matter you look to ground stones grass or trees all just insane detailed in different variations not just repeated textures as in most other games. Stealth gameplay doesnt work so well at least when you going into missions with some companion but thats ok just shoot everyone with saw.

Stuart360

I'm enjoying this game much more than Metro Exodus, which feels very slow and clunky compared to this. Didnt think i would of been saying that a month ago, even though i really like the Far Cry games.

About half way through and I think this is the game I personally have most enjoyed so far this year.

Metro Exodus - I got a game breaking bug and its on the shelf to wait for some patches
KH3 - whilst I appreciate the combat and polish, the continual cutscenes ruined the game for me personally
Crackdown 3 - enough said
Anthem - terrible game, I traded it already

Of the games on my wishlist, I haven't played AC7 or Tales of Vesperia yet.

New Dawn is good stuff and looks like it won't overstay it's welcome. Base building is cool, combat is varied and I like the story so far. I prefer it to FC5, it feels less cluttered with things continually trying to kill me....I get to exploration a lot more.

A solid 8/10 for me.

Bankai

I haven't played a Far Cry game since I burned out on Far Cry 4. Played Far Cry 3 ánd Blood Dragon and loved em. FC4 was just too much of the same.

Far Cry 5's setting looks nice, but the story seems underwhelming, which is a shame.. since the story kept my interest in FC3.

Maybe New Dawn is a good one, because it seems to be way more compact and streamlined? Though the story and characters aren't as compelling from what I read..

Arun1910

I haven't played a Far Cry game since I burned out on Far Cry 4. Played Far Cry 3 ánd Blood Dragon and loved em. FC4 was just too much of the same.

Far Cry 5's setting looks nice, but the story seems underwhelming, which is a shame.. since the story kept my interest in FC3.

Maybe New Dawn is a good one, because it seems to be way more compact and streamlined? Though the story and characters aren't as compelling from what I read..

When are they ever REALLY compelling? Far Cry has never been AAA quality in storytelling, its just a fun sandbox.

That said, I loved New Dawn, I've played every FC since 2, did not even finish 5, it dragged too long.

New Dawn is a nice, streamline compact far cry experience that has enough changes to keep it fresh. It didn't overstay its welcome and I really enjoyed it, maybe you will too.

Also managed to get the game on PC for £24 so cant complain.

Dacon

Banned
It's a bit short, but there's some real fun to be had here in this one. My major gripe would have to be the fact that you cannot customize weapon attachments. I poured so many resources into getting these badass guns, at the very least they can do is let me take these awful sights off them.

Top Bottom