• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal announced: Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, February 2016, $59.99

Looks like a formulaic mod to Far Cry 3 and 4.

Uhh.. yea.

Graphics are really nice, but they were in all the other Far Cry games too anyway.

Meh for me. Nice woolly mammoths though.

Harlequin

So, white blue-eyed cavemen, huh. When and where is this supposed to take place?

Prehistoric Europeans didn't start getting white until about 8,000 years ago, when they got to Scandanavia

Yup. The majority of Europeans 10000 years ago actually had dark hair, dark skin and blue eyes. The population in the North seems to have developed lighter hair and skin tones on their own, whereas the ones in the south got lighter skin tones (and mostly brown eyes) by mixing with immigrants from the Middle East. No idea what it looked like in North America, though. Some Native American tribes have relatively light skin compared to that of "proto-"Europeans so I suppose its possible that certain parts of the North American population already had it back then. But then, I think, the characters in the game would also need to have Eurasian-looking facial features and that doesn't appear to be the case as far as I can tell. So yeah, it looks like they went with the most popular stereotype of what Europeans looked like at the time without much regard for facts.

CHC

The characters are way too beautiful. I was hoping for some real deal ugly-ass prehistoric folk:

PEibdbe.jpg
S8Q6jE6.jpg

Ziffles

Yup. The majority of Europeans 10000 years ago actually had dark hair, dark skin and blue eyes. The population in the North seems to have developed lighter hair and skin tones on their own, whereas the ones in the south got lighter skin tones (and mostly brown eyes) by mixing with immigrants from the Middle East. No idea what it looked like in North America, though. Some Native American tribes have relatively light skin compared to that of "proto-"Europeans so I suppose its possible that certain parts of the North American population already had it back then. But then, I think, the characters in the game would also need to have Eurasian-looking facial features and that doesn't appear to be the case as far as I can tell. So yeah, it looks like they went with the most popular stereotype of what Europeans looked like at the time without much regard for facts.
Hmm, interesting. That article doesn't delve too much into where blue eyes came from, other than saying it appeared from a gene found in the 7700YO site in Sweden. For once I'd like to see someone take a risk and depict prehistoric humans correctly, outside of a documentary.

But I mean, it's Ubi, so
IMG_7865.gif

Weebos

Banned
Now this is a Far Cry game I might actually try.

Also February is getting a bit stacked, so I probably won't.

Far Cry developers have it so easy! Same gameplay all over again. The mammoth will probably have the elephant animations from Far Cry 4. The saber tooth tiger, well, it's a tiger. Vegetation can be recycled too!

Mash83

I'm in but probably not day 1. Tough time to release a game. They should probably push to late April or early may. It would make more sense business wise.

Can't wait to slowly walk after some prey for several hours until it gets exhausted so we can kill it

Brings a new meaning to walking simulator huh?

I find it so interesting that this strategy coupled with mans ability to make tools led to us being the dominant species. Walk after food till it's too tired to fight and then kill it while it's passed out. Gangster as shit.

Harlequin

Elias is a pretty talented guy, but does this mean the lead character will talk !!, That would be absolutely great.

I wonder how they will handle the dialogue, the trailer was in foreign language, so how will the story be like !!

Well, the story synopsis says that the main character is the last surviving member of his own tribe. I could imagine that members of other tribes speak in languages he doesn't understand so they use caveman gibberish for them but he could still speak English. If that's the case, though, they'd be facing some serious storytelling issues as the character wouldn't really be able to verbally communicate with any other characters... I can't imagine the main character not speaking English, though (as cool as it would be if he didn't).

Backlogger

This looks very cool. I was kinda hoping it would be more like Blood Dragon with a cheaper price tag, digital only and possibly a Steam version without Uplay, but this looks cool.

Will grab on PS4 at around $20-$30

Far Cry developers have it so easy! Same gameplay all over again. The mammoth will probably have the elephant animations from Far Cry 4. The saber tooth tiger, well, it's a tiger. Vegetation can be recycled too!

Ugh really dude? I have really hope this sarcasm but shitting on the talent of game devs is moronic. No game is easy to make.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's around the corner. Is it a full-fledged FC game or more like Blood Dragon?

Glad they pushed the PC version a month ahead.

Bogey

Banned
The characters are way too beautiful. I was hoping for some real deal ugly-ass prehistoric folk:

Agreed. That's actually the only thing I didn't like too much about the trailer.

I love the setting and all, but characters looking like modern Hollywood actors in terms of their whole physeology and even some nicely trimmed beard, that's a pretty big atmosphere killer for me. I understand selling a game with a half-monkey protagonist may be hard, but they could've tried to make the characters at least a little bit.. prehistoric.

Anyway, will still follow the game as I certainly do like the setting and Far Cry gameplay in general.

Tain

Extremely cautious about this one. I'm trying to imagine how the Far Cry gameplay would transfer over to this setting in any interesting way and I'm coming up completely short.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Hope I'm wrong, given how much I enjoyed 3 and 4.

Luke_Wal

Interesting that the same guy voices the main character in this and Deus Ex, which have the same release date. Is he new the North/Baker?
Not until Naughty Dog uses him.

This game looks sweet, though. I wonder if they'll incorporate AC3 like vegetation climbing, although that might be difficult with the first person perspective. Excited to see how this plays out.

trikster40

I definitely got a Horizon feel from it sans robot Dinos :)

Curious how they are gonna make this into a story driven game. All I can imagine is the hunting and gathering missions from FC3 and FC4.

Maybe there's time travel and a Blood Dragon comes through a portal followed by Rex Colt, guns blazing, and he says something like "Woolya look at that?"

Top Bottom