• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal announced: Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, February 2016, $59.99

Ramenman

I really really want this, it has potential to be really refreshing (if only because the constraints the period applies to the FC formula).

And the boxart is amazing, and totally hints at having a pet sabertooth tiger (he's so damn fluffy too), and a far cry game where you get the choice to tame animals instead of butchering them is waaaayyy overdue, shangri-la was such a tease for that.

mokeyjoe

I've been wanting a prehistoric based game for ages. Just like I was waiting for a decent western game for ages. This could be my Red Dead for this gen. I mean... if it's any good.

So fucking excited.

I hope they take some artistic liberty, and introduce some of the absurd Megafauna that thrived prior during the Ice Age. Because while Mammoths and Saber Tooth Cats are cool, they're just bigger furrier versions of todays animals.

Such as Chalicothere:

and Glyptodon

as well as Platybelodon

The list goes on, there are just so many cool animals to work with.. I really hope they tap into it.

You'll get generic eagles, deer and wolves, mammoth and sabertooth and you'll like it!

lol

Shredderi

They gotta, I mean GOTTA tap into all the weird and fascinating megafauna other than the mammoths and sabretooths. They just gotta or else this was an exercise in lost potential.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Setting looks interesting but the arrow shooting and spear throwing animation looked very underwhelming. Almost Skyrim level of unnatural and sterile movement.

I loved FC3 and 4. I like this setting but I just don't know. I feel like Horizon might scratch this itch, and I just can't imagine a FC without guns. This is the only series from Ubi that I look forward to.

They gotta, I mean GOTTA tap into all the weird and fascinating megafauna other than the mammoths and sabretooths. They just gotta or else this was an exercise in lost potential.

There will be Mammoths as your Elephant analog, Sabertooths as your tiger analog, and dire versions of contemporary animals and you will like it! No giant sloths or paraceratherium for you.

Griss

Just saw this. Was sure they'd go with dinosaurs. Mammoths are boring as fuck by comparison, count me out.

It will be interesting to see how Horizon differs from this in the end. My guess is by not as much as some expect / would hope.

Toa TAK

Banned
I've been wanting a prehistoric based game for ages. Just like I was waiting for a decent western game for ages. This could be my Red Dead for this gen. I mean... if it's any good.

Let's hope so, it's still Far Cry so you'll still be doing all the tedious things that come with the series and other open-world Ubi games.

I enjoyed Far Cry 3 enough, and nabbed all the achievements for it, but I skipped out on 4 after hearing they Vaas-ed the villain in that, too, and I didn't have it in me to do another open-world Ubi game after beating Unity.

So this is a nice time to jump into another Far Cry. At the very least, the inner anthropologist/archaeologist/paleontologist in me will be satisfied.

I didn't ask for this.

I wanted dinosaurs. I wanted Blood Dragon 2.

I was just wondering if Ubisoft regularly checks with you before developing games.

This seems to be just a cheap coat of paint on last years game. I doubt there will be any meaningful survival mechanics.

And you are able tell all of this, how?

To me, this game looks really promising. It is a different setting than we have seen before and I think the concept is fantastic.

Haunted

It's definitely more of a departure which is much more interesting than yet another FC (which is what FC4 was).

That said, it's all about how this departure ends up influencing the gameplay and structure.

pls no more checkbox design.

To be fair Ron Perlman has no make up on in that picture.
:lol you son of a bitch

Just saw this. Was sure they'd go with dinosaurs. Mammoths are boring as fuck by comparison, count me out.
The mainline Far Cry games ever since Ubisoft took over the IP were never about science fiction, so counting on dinosaurs was very unlikely.

Shredderi

There will be Mammoths as your Elephant analog, Sabertooths as your tiger analog, and dire versions of contemporary animals and you will like it! No giant sloths or paraceratherium for you.

Don't you take away my giant sloths! >_> Please Ubi don't miss this opportunity to do something really fun and unique! Don't lull yourselves into only doing animals that can re-use your old tiger/elephant animations!

Edit:
And you are able tell all of this, how?

To me, this game looks really promising. It is a different setting than we have seen before and I think the concept is fantastic.

How are you able to tell that it looks promising? If one can say that the game looks promising based on just a trailer then we have to be able to say that it doesn't look promising based on that same trailer. It's either both or neither. Since this is a forum it's more practical to be able to discuss it both ways.

vypek

Is it weird to anybody how this game will release without attending an E3. Did not expect another one so soon.

Yeah, seems a little weird. Could just be Ubi testing the waters or maybe we'll see a trend from them of announcing games relatively shortly before their release.

Been looking forward to this one. It's a survival management game

Before (in development)
Screenshot01.jpg
before-screenshot2.jpg

Haunted

For those wondering about the timely development and not attending E3. This is probably a smaller-scale project while the main team works on FC5.

Which I've just come to realise now, so disregard my prior statement about mainline entries not being crazy. Depending on the tone, they could totally go for broke here (but most likely won't as to keep asset costs low, those creatures don't animate themselves).

So fucking excited.

I hope they take some artistic liberty, and introduce some of the absurd Megafauna that thrived prior during the Ice Age. Because while Mammoths and Saber Tooth Cats are cool, they're just bigger furrier versions of todays animals.

Such as Chalicothere:

q4AyyQc.jpg

and Glyptodon

IEdfnQ6.jpg

as well as Platybelodon

2baRgb9.jpg

The list goes on, there are just so many cool animals to work with.. I really hope they tap into it.
Well, the Platybelodon and Chalicothere were millions of years prior, might as well run with dinosaurs then, cash in on that Jurassic World money.

Though I say that, I'm sure they've decided early on in development what kind of historic leeway they're going to allow with the creature variety in the game.

It will be interesting to see how Horizon differs from this in the end. My guess is by not as much as some expect / would hope.
I get why people keep comparing this to Horizon, but it's not really good comparison IMO

Sure they're both open world and feature bows and tribes and such, but that's where the similarities end

An actual prehistoric game isn't going to be that similar to a game with robotic monsters and post-apocalypse ruins and sci-fi weaponry

I've never played a Far Cry game before but this one seems interesting enough to be my first. I love this idea and can't wait to see more of it. Man, February is looking packed. Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex, and potentially this. I really hope this turns out as great as it has potential to be.

That said, I really hope this isn't the start of Ubisoft turning Far Cry into an annual series.

I'm excited about Primal yet so worried, I mean how will they handle the Gameplay/Combat in the game, and the exploration as well, especially since everything will be done on foot.

The Story is another thing I'm keeping an eye on, I'm glad they don't have another maniac character -good for a change-, so what kind of story will they tell, how will they keep it interesting, ....etc etc.

Far Cry Primal is rather interesting, It could end up being a really great title, or fall victim to the countless awful design choices of Ubisoft, I hope there is some new blood behind this one, and a strong vision to make it different.

Shredderi

For those wondering about the timely development and not attending E3. This is probably a smaller-scale project while the main team works on FC5.

Which I've just come to realise now, so disregard my prior statement about mainline entries not being crazy. Depending on the tone, they could totally go for broke here (but most likely won't as to keep asset costs low, those creatures don't animate themselves).

Well, the Platybelodon and Chalicothere were millions of years prior, might as well run with dinosaurs then, cash in on that Jurassic World money.

Though I say that, I'm sure they've decided early on in development what kind of historic leeway they're going to allow with the creature variety in the game.

Kinda agreeing with you here. Every big Far Cry game has had a big E3 announcement and tons of marketing before release. This is just too soon and with too little marketing for me think that this is the next big Far Cry release. I mean sure it can be a big game but the signs just point to this being "bigger than small-ish expansion but smaller than a Far Cry 5". The visuals also don't quite have that current-gen shine that ubi's other new games have so I'm thinking that they're not going balls to the wall with the budget for this.

Kinda agreeing with you here. Every big Far Cry game has had a big E3 announcement and tons of marketing before release. This is just too soon and with too little marketing for me think that this is the next big Far Cry release. I mean sure it can be a big game but the signs just point to this being "bigger than small-ish expansion but smaller than a Far Cry 5". The visuals also don't quite have that current-gen shine that ubi's other new games have so I'm thinking that they're not going balls to the wall with the budget for this.
Ubisoft's smaller budget projects have all been awesome (Rayman, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Grow Home, Blood Dragon) so I'd be more excited for this than if it was a full-fledged Far Cry

Late Flag

I like the fresh idea for the setting, but I'm not sure how this is going to play without guns. Very intrigued -- I'll keep this one on my radar.

Braag

I don't know how to feel about this. I think it's really interesting and all but Far Cry has always been a FPS with a big range of different types of weaponry to take down the bad guys and wildlife.
In this one we will probably have bows, spears and clubs. I hope they come up with more than just that.

Shredderi

Ubisoft's smaller budget projects have all been awesome (Rayman, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Grow Home, Blood Dragon) so I'd be more excited for this than if it was a full-fledged Far Cry

Agreed. Was just thinking about what's going on behind the scenes at Ubi in terms of their production pipeline. Ubi's best games are their smaller more experimentative (is that a word?) ones.

qirex

I've never played a Far Cry game before but this one seems interesting enough to be my first. I love this idea and can't wait to see more of it. Man, February is looking packed. Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex, and potentially this.

I'd give it a 90% probability that at least one of those three is delayed.

pnutboy

Huh. I wonder why they didn't announce this at E3, since it's supposed to come out in four months. Still, there's potential for a really great game here.

Top Bottom