• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Nowise10

This is the first game in a long time I had to uninstall while half way through it because basically every time I got on the game I was getting frustrated from game developers who seem to not want you to have fun while playing their game.

The world they created is insanely beautiful, one of the best looking games out their and the atmosphere is amazing while playing. But the core game play? Everytime I play it feels like I am just playing something that had no design or thought put into it. It just feels scrambled together with no flow at all. Mammoth bosses taking 25+ arrows to kill, while I just run a camp fire, or outpost having zero cover and design behind them making them incredibly frustrating to capture undetected, I came to the conclusion I don't like the game. Which is a shame, because Far Cry 3 is on my top 3 games of all time, and I enjoyed far Cry 4/Blood Dragon a lot.

Mossybrew

Picked it up finally during Prime Day, I've put a few hours into it and so far it's easily the best Far Cry since 2. The synergy of story, setting, and gameplay is great. I love that I'm not chasing some Big Bad, everything I do organically feeds into the overall mission of making your tribe and yourself stronger.

This is the first game in a long time I had to uninstall while half way through it because basically every time I got on the game I was getting frustrated from game developers who seem to not want you to have fun while playing their game.

The world they created is insanely beautiful, one of the best looking games out their and the atmosphere is amazing while playing. But the core game play? Everytime I play it feels like I am just playing something that had no design or thought put into it. It just feels scrambled together with no flow at all. Mammoth bosses taking 25+ arrows to kill, while I just run a camp fire, or outpost having zero cover and design behind them making them incredibly frustrating to capture undetected, I came to the conclusion I don't like the game. Which is a shame, because Far Cry 3 is on my top 3 games of all time, and I enjoyed far Cry 4/Blood Dragon a lot.

This happened to me too. I actually got pretty far into it, then I just lost all motivation to play. I think the combat just got to the point that it was not satisfying at all. Primal is probably the most time i put into a game that I never completed the main story to. Sadly I have no desire whatsoever to finish.

Should I play survivor mode my first time? I don't plan on using the permadeath option and pets dying sounds like it may be annoying but the rest sounds pretty good. If I do select it should I start on normal or hard?

You can. It's a neat mode. I'd keep it on normal though just to avoid frustration as you learn the mechanics.
Does normal make you an almost invincible bullet sponge though? I hated far cry 4 on hard after the first half because enemies were sponges with laser aim but I likes I for the first half because I couldn't just run in to outposts like a headless chicken. Does Primal fix that?

Welp I already regret buying this. Combat is trash and hunter vision is stupid, basically infinite too because even with the 20 second duration you can immediately pop it for another 20 seconds immediately after it expires for some dumb reason. Ugh I should have learned my lesson with Ubisoft games by now

Does PSN offer refunds

Ashtar

Welp I already regret buying this. Combat is trash and hunter vision is stupid, basically infinite too because even with the 20 second duration you can immediately pop it for another 20 seconds immediately after it expires for some dumb reason. Ugh I should have learned my lesson with Ubisoft games by now

Does PSN offer refunds
Nope but I wish I read this before I bought the game lol well I enjoyed far cry 4 so hopefully I'll enjoy this

leng jai

Primal is good for about 3 hours just wandering around the amazing setting while you're in the honeymoon period of the undercooked scavenging mechanic. Too bad they didn't really build an actual game - the combat is incredibly simplistic, missions are classic examples of cut and paste nonsense and the story/characters are basically non-existent.

Dominator

Primal is good for about 3 hours just wandering around the amazing setting while you're in the honeymoon period of the undercooked scavenging mechanic. Too bad they didn't really build an actual game - the combat is incredibly simplistic, missions are classic examples of cut and paste nonsense and the story/characters are basically non-existent.
I thought it was fun all the way through.. I even Platinum'd it. I didn't get over the honeymoon period I guess lol

120v

for what it's worth i had a lot of fun taking out the outposts... which was kind of a slog errand in FC3 and 4 imo. but afterwards i couldn't gumption may way through the rest of the game

in some ways it is a genuinely unique twist on the formula, in others it is indeed the same ol shit

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Does PSN offer refunds
I turned off everything. Literally everything. Game was much more enjoyable. It plays fine even with every hud element and assist disabled.

The outposts are outstanding to play, with two or three approaches each. If you focus on the outposts, bonfires and story missions it might keep one more engaged. You can treat the outer region animal hunts as DLC, though they have outposts too. Once I started cleaning up the side missions I found many of them on the borders of the map are basically cave outposts with a lot of enjoyment.

I turned off everything. Literally everything. Game was much more enjoyable. It plays fine even with every hud element and assist disabled.
I wondered how does it play when you don't have Hunter vision? Some of the tracking seems impossible without it. I'd like to play without music starting up when combat starts. Don't miss the Izila finalie's music however. It really adds to the pumped mood.

I did. The combat is still shitty. Skyrim did it much better which is pathetic. Not like the world is worth exploring or anything either.

And besides the fact the design is worse than FC4 too seeing as for some fucking stupid reason hunter vision is almost mandatory for some things.

I wish survival mode was more like a sandbox rather the the campaign mode, but harder. Like, start you out in the world randomly and build up a village wherever you wanted.

Does PSN offer refunds

This is why I rarely buy digital unless there's the option to play it first or it's within 'take a chance' threshold (usually about £8).

I thought it was fun all the way through.. I even Platinum'd it. I didn't get over the honeymoon period I guess lol

Yeah I'm about to get my platinum over this coming weekend.
I dunno why I'm a sucker for the Far Cry formula (outposts never get old!) even if the combat mechanics are quite repetitive near the end game and the story is so average.

I've enjoyed my 35 hours or with it. I just wish this game had co-op like FC4.

Is the game worth the $12 I spent on it at least?

Absolutely.
12 bucks for all that content and a fun/beautiful world to mess around is worth it imo.
Especially if you've been into previous Far Cry games.

cackhyena

I'm liking this way more than 4. Gorgeous game. I'm just kinda pissed at how hard to is to stay alive in the early game with predators every ten feet. Feels like I'm doing something wrong.

Picked it up finally during Prime Day, I've put a few hours into it and so far it's easily the best Far Cry since 2. The synergy of story, setting, and gameplay is great. I love that I'm not chasing some Big Bad, everything I do organically feeds into the overall mission of making your tribe and yourself stronger.

LOL WTF am I suppose to do now? I really want to grab this game.... but, sigh.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm liking this way more than 4. Gorgeous game. I'm just kinda pissed at how hard to is to stay alive in the early game with predators every ten feet. Feels like I'm doing something wrong.

Animal companions, bro. There are different tiers of animals, getting a lion or panther early on will help greatly against other wildlife. Even having the wolf around will help during the night.

cackhyena

Animal companions, bro. There are different tiers of animals, getting a lion or panther early on will help greatly against other wildlife. Even having the wolf around will help during the night.
I just got the owl last night. I kinda stumbled onto it, tho. Gonna have to search for something bigger. It's a bummer because stealth is always my preferred jam.

Stranya

Does normal make you an almost invincible bullet sponge though? I hated far cry 4 on hard after the first half because enemies were sponges with laser aim but I likes I for the first half because I couldn't just run in to outposts like a headless chicken. Does Primal fix that?
Normal is IMO face-rollingly easy. I played on hard all the way through and enjoyed it. Because of the setting, human enemies don't turn into spear-sponges (!), though of course you get the "heavies" who take longer to bring down.

Harpua

Any difference between the Xbox and PS4 versions?

Got the Xbox as part of a bundle, but usually go PS4 for multi platform and since it's on sale might bite and trade in the Xbox if a significant difference.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just got the owl last night. I kinda stumbled onto it, tho. Gonna have to search for something bigger. It's a bummer because stealth is always my preferred jam.

The owl is more for reconaissance if I'm not mistaken, it's basically your binocular [or like Watchdogs 2's drone].

I mean the pet companions. Perhaps you're still super early game, but very early on you unlock beastmaster skills with which you can tame any carnivorous beast and make it your pet. It will stay beside you, help you in combat and fend off other animals [provided the other animal is an equal or lower tier "powerlevel"]. You can even ride some of them.

Some animals are better at bruteforcing your way through camps, others are perfect for sneaking. They all have different stats in terms of health, strength and detection.

you need to recruit a certain character for this all to unlock, the game doesn't just give you this naturally. You need to recruit
Tensay the Shaman
. I highly recommend taking this route as soon as possible because pets can drastically change the way you experience the game. Plus, running around with a fucking cave lion or dire wolf is badass.

Completely forgot about this game. I still haven't finished it and i got it in January or so. Lovely world, some really cool characters, but the worst ever MMO style quest design i've ever come across. After 4 or 5 hours i expected to be doing something other than "Gather 10 sticks to build a hut" or whatever, but it seems like every quests is a literal fetch quest followed by crafting. Oh joy. Also the combat is incredibly boring after a while. Kudos to Ubi for trying something different, but having like 3 weapons, arrow, spear, and club do not make for a 40+hour enjoyable game.

cackhyena

The owl is more for reconaissance if I'm not mistaken, it's basically your binocular [or like Watchdogs 2's drone].

I mean the pet companions. Perhaps you're still super early game, but very early on you unlock beastmaster skills with which you can tame any carnivorous beast and make it your pet. It will stay beside you, help you in combat and fend off other animals [provided the other animal is an equal or lower tier "powerlevel"]. You can even ride some of them.

Some animals are better at bruteforcing your way through camps, others are perfect for sneaking. They all have different stats in terms of health, strength and detection.

you need to recruit a certain character for this all to unlock, the game doesn't just give you this naturally. You need to recruit
Tensay the Shaman
. I highly recommend taking this route as soon as possible because pets can drastically change the way you experience the game. Plus, running around with a fucking cave lion or dire wolf is badass.
Ah okay, thanks. Yeah I met him last night and that's how I unlocked the owl. I'm am a Beast Master now. Guess I'll get cracking tonight!

Completely forgot about this game. I still haven't finished it and i got it in January or so. Lovely world, some really cool characters, but the worst ever MMO style quest design i've ever come across. After 4 or 5 hours i expected to be doing something other than "Gather 10 sticks to build a hut" or whatever, but it seems like every quests is a literal fetch quest followed by crafting. Oh joy. Also the combat is incredibly boring after a while. Kudos to Ubi for trying something different, but having like 3 weapons, arrow, spear, and club do not make for a 40+hour enjoyable game.

Yeah it's like a game about mostly melee combat and exploration with some of the worst melee combat I've ever played and typical Ubisoft open world nothingness now with a terrible hunter vision. I feel bad for anyone who spent $60 on this.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Fire helps a lot. If you're not with a companion animal, set your clubs and spears on fire... just holding them out toward an aggressive animal will usually keep it off you.

really wanted this game and so happy to have bought it cheap.

about 5 hours in. upgraded my spears and have a rare cave lion beast with me. Really quite fun, It really does tick the OCD upgrade your tools thing and the animal encounters are always fun.

While it doesn't have the plotline that 4 has, its a very different beast *ahem*. Once time I upgraded the village and the cinematics kicked in. Yup. awesome.

also, you can see Urki's wiener.
b7qFyNP.gif

what is with ubisoft and dicks and bits? lol

I really don't care but this is funny

Where are the bloody badgers? Spent ages running around looking for them. See also: Where are the bloody elks? They're on the map; but they dont show up!

bloody good game. I'm about to go after the mask but killing
Dah when he asked to be killed
was a bit of a downer. Got the scar bear with me RN running the world and loving it; also upgraded the owl and sending it to send out my beast is great. It'll be hard to play a Farcry without these feature now I think

Quite happy to just run round killing animals. It's scratching all the right things with me. The cutscenes are great as are the dream sequences. The
Moon exploding bit when you get to the fire people storyline is incredible

Love the inventiveness of the game.

Question about the ending... does this game end? without giving explicit spoilers - is there more of a plotline moving forward?

So i've killed both
Ull and Batari
so that's the two major enemies for the Wenja killed

and

I'm wondering if the game has a finale? I mean like, going back to the village for a small little celebration isn't very much of a ending? Is there more - I've yet to do the beast hunts.

Question about the ending... does this game end? without giving explicit spoilers - is there more of a plotline moving forward?

So i've killed both
Ull and Batari
so that's the two major enemies for the Wenja killed

and

I'm wondering if the game has a finale? I mean like, going back to the village for a small little celebration isn't very much of a ending? Is there more - I've yet to do the beast hunts.
Yes, do the remaining story missions and talk to all the named characters as they arrive to the village. Others have suggested it is a percentage of completion needed as well. Let me know what happens!

Edit Oh, you already got the credits? That's the official ending.

Dalibor68

Banned
So I just finished this game.

With Far Cry 3 I loved the first part, but then when you got to the second island I was like "oh come on, I have to do all this shit a second time now?". Far Cry 4 I thought was a cheap and boring reskin and I got sick of the whole collectathon and tower crap.

Far Cry Primal however I thought was a fantastic game. The setting isn't just a reskin, they really managed to capture this primal feeling perfectly imo. Characters are interesting and positively bizarre, some of the environments and lighting are really beautiful, the overall mechanics are fun, the ancient animals are cool etc Also the game doesn't overstay its welcome which I also appreciated.

Top Bottom