• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal Review Thread.

v0mitg0d

For those who missed it, I made a video thing! Though it’s not the Black Flag of the series, it’s more like the Syndicate—very very good!

https://youtu.be/MVBDCB1lbgM

(Still working on getting better at these things. I know I have a long way to go and appreciate any constructive critisism--thanks!)

Mikke

Man, everything I've seen of this REALLY makes me want to buy this game. From the reviews it seems like if you like Far Cry, this is a pretty good one of those. I'll probably bite.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seriously, no hud (except for health), no batman vision, and no crosshair... and this game is legit.

ironcreed

Banned
Started a bit this morning now that Live seems to be getting sorted. Loved it immediately and it easily feels like the most unique game of the series. It also looks absolutely gorgeous and runs like silk.

Karak

Seriously, no hud (except for health), no batman vision, and no crosshair... and this game is legit.

It is indeed. There is something about running through that shit predawn never knowing if your going to go M.I.A
Mouth
Intestines
Anus

Because there are some badass animals at night and without the hud its scary trying to make sure they don't get you and digest you before you know it.

ironcreed

Banned
As others like Karak and Slasher have mentioned, there is just something about the atmosphere and I felt it from the very start. You can tell it is a Far Cry game by some of the core mechanics, but that is where the similarities end. When a game sucks me in instantly, then that tells me the developers did something very right.

Karak

As others like Karak and Slasher have mentioned, there is just something about the atmosphere and I felt it from the very start. You can tell it is a Far Cry game by some of the core mechanics, but that is where the similarities end. When a game sucks me in instantly, then that tells me the developers did something very right.
Ya its funny. Leaving the village and you can go left or right along the pathways and I swear there is something almost choose your own adventurish about it. I can't assume that double path is on accident. Its such a cool idea. Its not one long path from your village. They really knew and nailed that feel.

Also once you guys get to the second tribe(blue) many of their locations can be burned out. If your on hard with no hud and can't seem to take over a base. Just flaming arrow the bushes down and uphill from them. There is a good chance you will catch a number of them in the ensuing blaze.

Ricker

To all Canadians,right now on PSN,the digital version of the regular game says 59.99,twenty bucks less then what it's suppose to be...(I see this on the rental I got,on the overview stuff.)

joeajs

Banned
When I change the difficulty, how does it impact the game? It says that you take more damage only. Are the enemies stronger?

Karak

When I change the difficulty, how does it impact the game? It says that you take more damage only. Are the enemies stronger?

Its not just damage. But damage does start the ai loop back into the tactics. If your taking more damage than enemies attack more and rush you and get more risky because they can see that if it occurs in their visual cone. They also seem to flank more and they will try to engage in rough tactics moreso than on the easier difficulties. But its all fed by damage. It is subtle but its there especially in group beatdowns. With the hud off and difficulty high it can get crunchy for sure

IvanJ

Banned
To all Canadians,right now on PSN,the digital version of the regular game says 59.99,twenty bucks less then what it's suppose to be...(I see this on the rental I got,on the overview stuff.)
Yeah, saw it this morning and immediately bought it. Was going to wait for a sale, but this price translates to about $42 US, and I doubt it will be cheaper soon.

Wonder if it is a pricing error or a reduction, because the Apex edition is $65, so I am leaning toward it being a deliberate reduction.

Karak

Karak, do you use the hunter vision or whatever it's called?

Only in the 1-2 missions its needed otherwise absolutely not. That doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in the game or that people shouldn't. Its supposed to be about humans that are closer to their natural state than ourselves so hunter vision isn't that magical. But basically I upgraded that absolutely last and only used it in those random missions where following none bloody footprints was required.

The nice thing is its always there. So if you do have to use it(getting lost) just use it. No biggy.

EDIT: I did use it one time in a great bear hunt. I lost the tracks. Just simply lost them and used that to get back on track.

honestly, i was just waiting for someone to copy-paste the FC4 OT, do a strikethrough tag around everything and then add a picture of a burning torch.

would've been fine with that.

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking OT... over and over again, expecting... shit to change.

-----------------------------
1 more week for us PC players.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how long the game is overall (story, side quests, etc.)? I literally just finished the base game of Dying Light last night and still have The Following to play but want to see if I want to continue that or start Primal. Thanks.

conman

I hope that the lukewarm critical and consumer reactions to this and others of Ubisoft's longrunning core franchises will persuade them to take more risks on ideas that are truly new.

Karak

I hope that the lukewarm critical and consumer reactions to this and others of Ubisoft's longrunning core franchises will persuade them to take more risks on ideas that are truly new.

Whats nice at least is its been a #1 seller on Amazon for a bit. Doing well there

Klocker

shit. Really digging this so far... early mission to collect some healing leaves and I'm out all day and night hunting, gathering and trying to survive the night against wild animals, enemies and lighting fires to survive... no guns makes this my favorite hunt, gather explore games so far... looking at the help menu and the upgrades looks like there is a lot to look forward to as well'

Very cool

DirtyLarry

Got good news that my wife has a lot of catching up to do for work this week so she will be working at night all this week. Sucks for her, but means I get the TV all to myself which in turn means I actually get to play a game for more than 1 hour a week. I may actually get to play this for a good 6 hours before the weekend, which I cannot remember the last time that has happened. I took a chance not doing store pick up so I hope Best Buy actually ships it today.

komplanen

Played for an hour or two (up to the owl bit) and so far I kinda like it but man I just wish Ubisoft would stop doing these cookie cutter "Ubisofty" open world games already. Like someone said above, just do something properly new and not this one foot in, one foot out crap.

Will finish the game and sell it forward.

ironcreed

Banned

If they changed it any more it would not be a Far Cry game. But they still shook it up more than enough here, while still remaining within the confines of the series. That is all I could of asked for as a fan, as I do not expect them to make a different game entirely.

I mean, I don't expect From Software to change the Dark Souls formula, or for Naughty Dog to change the Uncharted formula. Just add some different elements and some new ideas.

As far as Primal goes, it takes more risks and does more different than any other game in the series. Not sure what else they could do, unless they just scrapped and rebooted the entire franchise.

Karak

Played for an hour or two (up to the owl bit) and so far I kinda like it but man I just wish Ubisoft would stop doing these cookie cutter "Ubisofty" open world games already. Like someone said above, just do something properly new and not this one foot in, one foot out crap.

Will finish the game and sell it forward.

...uhm they do tons.
Anno 2205
Grow Home 2015 Win, PS4
Just Dance 2016 2015 PS3, PS4, X360, XBO, Wii, WiiU
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege 2015 Win, PS4, XBO
Toy Soldiers: War Chest 2015 Win, XBO, PS4
Far Cry Primal 2016 PS4, Xbox One, PC
For Honor 2016 Win, PS4, XBO
South Park: The Fractured But Whole 2016 PS4, XBO, Win
Tom Clancy's The Division 2016 PS4, XBO, Win
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands 2016 Win, XBO, PS4
TrackMania Turbo

dLMN8R

Started it tonight. Pretty cool setup! But damn I gotta turn off some of the HUD stuff. It's comical how cluttered it is by default.

labx

Banned
My review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjYxcHQh_WM
Rated it a Buy

"Basically has some of the best nohud gameplay of the Farcry series. Additionally the difficulties matter and though its got some Farcry gameplay tropes, because its a Farcry title, its unique theme and attitude towards the negative spaces between carnage points is actually really elegant."

dude!!!!!!! super nice review, the one that I was waiting to buy the game!

Ashtar

...uhm they do tons.
Anno 2205
Grow Home 2015 Win, PS4
TrackMania Turbo
Dude they're all the same get over it....
Just kidding
They also have that that new multiplayer ip

Gator86

4 hours in and I mostly agree with the Giantbomb review. It feels like a long side quest from 4. The story and characters seem like complete throw aways so far. They changed literally nothing in terms of the skills and basic framework of the game. I looked at the skill tree then just considered putting the game down. I'm not loving the guns for old weapons swap either. It's mostly just forcing unsatisfying melee combat or constantly rebuilding your TWO goddamn spears unless you run over the pick them up after every throw. The pet stuff is completely forgettable and mostly cringeworthy pathing jank. I love the series and am genuinely impressed by their ability to crank out consistently gorgeous game worlds, but holy shit, this game feels exactly like the mid-cycle cash grab I was expecting. Couldn't be happier I rented this instead of buying. I'll be back for FC5.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If I had to put a number score on this game (using the whole scale, five being average) I would give it a solid 8.

On the metacritic scale that converts to a 9.7 or some shit idk lol.

Awesome game though. I've played it almost 30 hours. 2/3 of that was just dicking aroung, cavemanning. Not even close to bored with it yet. And I think the story is fun. They've come up with some neat missions.

If I had to put a number score on this game (using the whole scale, five being average) I would give it a solid 8.

On the metacritic scale that converts to a 9.7 or some shit idk lol.

Awesome game though. I've played it almost 30 hours. 2/3 of that was just dicking aroung, cavemanning. Not even close to bored with it yet. And I think the story is fun. They've come up with some neat missions.

No way, it's just one long side quest! Granted if that's how people feel, best damm side quest I've ever played!

halfbeast

Banned
...uhm they do tons.
Anno 2205
Grow Home 2015 Win, PS4
TrackMania Turbo

I kinda wanna see an open world Just Dance game.

leng jai

Now that I've finished the game I agree with the bunch of 7s Primal got. It's nowhere near the calibre of a 9 game.

Top Bottom