• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal uses the same map (heavily updated) as Far Cry 4.

As you said no excuse.

MGSV is a Metal Gear Solid game yet it doesn't have the same animations as MGS4.

Doesn't Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 share some animations and sounds?

There's being lazy and then there's being smart and efficient. You don't have to re-invent everything all the time.

That time you save some place can help you polish somewhere else.

cripterion

They used the height map. The world is extremely different, as is the game itself. Not to mention how much nicer it looks and runs as well.

Are you kidding? Far Cry 4 runs better than Primal. Even with Nvidia effects (which are missing from Primal so it looking better is up to debate)

Alebrije

At $60 developers gotta dance for us.

DANCE DEVELOPERS DANCE

imageer.gif

ironcreed

Banned
They copy and pasted the design of the two maps (released one year apart) and people are giving them props for it. Amazing.

The height maps. The worlds are entirely different when you are in them. If it was the same thing, I would even be giving them shit. But you will not know what they have actually put into this game... unless you have played it. Most who have are coming away quite surprised.

Disxo

What if more devs start doing this, would you be ok with that?
Games are getting more and more expensive to make, this wont be something new in the years to come.
If they implement used assets without being too evident I will be fine with it.

Trace

Banned
Honestly unless it feels familiar there's no issue with this. Asset reuse is fine as long as it doesn't feel like you're playing the same game.

killroy87

If no one saw the minimap, this never, ever would have been noticed. It's not lazy (this word should be bannable considering how often it gets thrown around), and not a copy/paste job.

legacyzero

Banned
Right. The game world is so different you can barely even recognize it, not to mention how different the game itself is. It also looks and runs better and has improved effects. But then again, I am playing the game. What do I know?
More than me apparently. I have boycotted Far Cry games. From the same ubi behavior.

My perspective though.

Animator

What if more devs start doing this, would you be ok with that?

Absolutely. You think devs don't do this already so they can get some internet cred from some clueless forum posters on gaf? You DO re-use assets all the time in production, it has nothing to do with laziness or the size of the company.

The map looks absolutely nothing like FC4's map where it counts.

Morts

Also, just because they started with the same heightmap doesn't mean that parts of the world aren't specifically crafted to fit the scenarios they designed.

ironcreed

Banned
When you already have an engine and a world created for you to make further enhancements, they damn well make improvements.

They certainly did as well. And you are not going to play these two games and come away thinking that they are the same worlds. Because they really are not, even though they share height maps. The game is very much different and they obviously put a hell of a lot into the world itself. Something that is blatantly obvious when you actually are playing it.

dLMN8R

They copy and pasted the design of the two maps (released one year apart) and people are giving them props for it. Amazing.

Well, no, they didn't "copy and paste". If you play the game, it's quite obvious that there are substantial changes all over the place, especially in specific design elements and navigation around that map.

Trace

Banned
idk but if we're talking about cross-gen vs next-gen only you could compare MGS4 to MGSV and V has completely new animations, hell even a new engine.

money is definitely no issue at Ubisoft.

It's a good thing your new animations and new engine basically bankrupted the company and caused in the firing of the entire production staff.

It's good business sense to reuse assets, it happens literally all the time. Hell, Dark Souls is the king of asset reuse and I absolutely love that series.

leng jai

I love how most of the negativity towards this game are from people who have no interest in ever buying it. The game is a far cry from being a simple rehash of 4.

Those of you who haven't played the game can't really say if this was lazy or not. You can comment on the map screen and that's about it. If everyone that's playing it has told you it looks nothing like Far Cry 4 in game world then why should the layout of the map matter? The world of Primal does not feel like the world of Far Cry 4, it's pretty evident when you first get your hands on the game. I had the same concerns before I played it, but it's a way better game then Far Cry 4 could wish to be.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's a good thing your new animations and new engine basically bankrupted the company and caused in the firing of the entire production staff.

It's good business sense to reuse assets, it happens literally all the time. Hell, Dark Souls is the king of asset reuse and I absolutely love that series.

bankrupt? where did you get that info from? AFAIK they're still looking for staff to make the new Metal Gear game.

They certainly did as well. And you are not going to play these two games and come away thinking that they are the same worlds. Because they really are not, even though they share height maps. The game is very much different and they obviously put a hell of a lot into the world itself. Something that is blatantly obvious when you actually are playing it.

I will play it eventually, just not for the price they're asking for it. Sure I bet I'll enjoy the game like I did with Syndicate, but all I'm trying to say is that I hope they take notes from some of the games they're releasing that aren't doing well recently and fix those issues in future iterations.

Zombine

Banned
They are the same place. It's the result of continental drift, not lazy development.* These fine details are the reason why I love Ubisoft games.

*Science expert

SentryDown

I'm not entirely sure why people are surprises/shocked for a layout re-use when Primal uses tons of stuff from previous Far Cry games such as animations, grappling hook, animals, activity design, etc...

ironcreed

Banned
I will play it eventually, just not for the price they're asking for it. Sure I bet I'll enjoy the game like I did with Syndicate, but all I'm trying to say is that I hope they take notes from some of the games they're releasing that aren't doing well recently and fix those issues in future iterations.

You might be in for a surprise. I'll leave it there. It is a killer game.

Pandy

Hey everyone, I also heard that they didn't code the entire game engine from scratch.

Fucking lazy devs, etc.

This is absolutely fine given the differing play experiences of FC4 and FC:p.

Trace

Banned
bankrupt? where did you get that info from? AFAIK they're still looking for staff to make the new Metal Gear game.

Alright, it was so expensive that they fired the production staff because of the huge expense.

That better? Making everything from scratch is expensive, and AAA production is insanely expensive as it is. The more asset reuse, the more games we get in general.

I love how most of the negativity towards this game are from people who have no interest in ever buying it. The game is a far cry from being a simple rehash of 4.

I see what you did there.

Top Bottom