• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

yKu5bEN.jpg

After a stellar first season that exceeded lofty expectations, Fargo returns for Season 2 on Monday October 12th on FX. As an anthology show, the new season brings a new(ish) storyline and a brand new cast. This season takes us back to 1979 in Sioux Falls as a young Lou Solverson investigates a violent, local case. Noah Hawley cites "Fargo" (of course), "Miller's Crossing" and "The Man Who Wasn't There" as influences for the new season. S2 supposedly has a more comedic tone and is also expected to explore early issues of feminism. While the new cast may not have the sheer star power as the first season, Fargo has assembled a great group of character actors that should suit the Coen Brothers style quite well. This season is set for 10 episodes, and early reviews have all been very positive.
The all new “true crime” case in Fargo’s latest chapter takes you back to 1979 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Luverne, Minnesota. “Lou Solverson” (Patrick Wilson), a young State Police Officer recently back from Vietnam, investigates a case involving a local crime gang, a major mob syndicate and a small town beautician “Peggy Blumquist” (Kirsten Dunst) along with her husband “Ed” (Jesse Plemons), the local butcher’s assistant. Helping Lou piece things together is his father-in-law, “Sheriff Hank Larsson” (Ted Danson). The investigation will lead them to a colorful cast of characters that includes “Karl Weathers” (Nick Offerman), the town lawyer of Luverne, Minnesota. A Korean War vet, Karl is a flowery drunk blessed with the gift of gab and the eloquence of a true con artist. Three-time Emmy® winner Brad Garrett will play “Joe Bulo,” the front man for the northern expansion of a Kansas City crime syndicate. The new face of corporate crime, Joe’s bringing a Walmart mentality to small town America. His number two is “Mike Milligan” (Bokeem Woodbine). Part enforcer, part detective, Mike is always smiling – but the joke is usually on you. Bulo and his crew have their sights set on the Gerhardt crime family in Fargo, currently led by matriarch “Floyd Gerhardt” (Jean Smart). With her husband at death’s door, Floyd takes over the family business, frustrating her eldest son, “Dodd Gerhardt” (Jeffrey Donovan). An impatient hothead with a cruel streak to match his ambitions, Dodd can’t wait for both his parents to die so he can take over and expand their business from kingdom to empire. “Bear Gerhardt” (Angus Sampson) is the middle son, an intimidatingly large man who, although inarticulate, is the most decent of his clan. “Rye Gerhardt” (Kieran Culkin), the youngest of the Gerhardt clan, views himself as a big shot, but in reality he’s just a small dog with a loud bark.

Emmy Award winning Executive Producers Noah Hawley (showrunner/writer), Joel & Ethan Coen, Warren Littlefield and John Cameron all return for the second installment. Fargo is produced by MGM Television and FX Productions, with MGM Television serving as the lead studio.

a0Gxg3K.jpg
LO3pAXH.jpg
ZlBNSXi.jpg

Cast:
  • Patrick Wilson as State Trooper Lou Solverson
  • Ted Danson as Sheriff Hank Larsson
  • Jean Smart as Floyd Gerhardt
  • Kirsten Dunst as Peggy Blomquist
  • Jesse Plemons as Ed Blomquist
  • Jeffrey Donovan as Dodd Gerhardt
  • Rachel Keller as Simone
  • Nick Offerman as Karl Weathers
  • Brad Garrett as Joe Bulo
  • Kieran Culkin as Rye Gerhardt
  • Bokeem Woodbine as Mike Milligan
  • Angus Sampson as Bear Gerhardt
  • Keir O'Donnell as Ben Schmidt
  • Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan
  • Michael Hogan as Otto Gerhardt
  • Cristin Milioti as Betsy Solverson
  • Adam Arkin as Hamish Broker
Videos
KA3ltkd.jpg
HRdQbE8.jpg

NewsLinksPromo Pics
Season premiere on October 12th:
Waiting for Dutch

In 1979, an unexpected turn of events at a diner disrupts the lives of the citizens in a small Minnesota town.

Early word from critics:
Sepinwall said:
Saw, and enjoyed, the “Fargo” s2 premiere today. A very promising start.
Goodman said:
An absolutely trippy, bloody and funny first episode of #Fargo S2. Just got back from the screening. Can’t wait to rewatch. Plus more eps.
Brian Gianelli said:
Loved the #Fargo S2 premiere. Took me awhile to recognize Jean Smart, but finally figured it out. #TCA15
Gwen Reyes said:
Guys. I just watched the S2 premiere of #Fargo and it is soooo good. Like, why are we even talking about #TrueDetective anymore? #tca15
Jason Lynch said:
Very happy/relieved to report that #Fargo S2 is off to a rousing start in its first episode, which I saw today.
Tim Goodman said:
Add director to the resume of @noahhawley - who does an excellent job in Ep. 2 of #Fargo S2. Well done.
Tim Goodman said:
I’ve watched the opening to 1st episode of #Fargo S2 three times. It never gets *less* brilliantly weird. People will definitely be: *WTF?*
Posters:

I won't be on much for the next week or two, so if everyone could pitch in and post links to interviews, reviews, and early impressions when you see them, that'd be great. Thanks in advance, and I'll catch up soon. :)

Speevy

Banned
The show definitely looks to be on the right track. I hope they can avoid stuff like fish raining from the sky. I mean, weird stuff happens in the Coens' Fargo, but nothing like that.

They should try to incorporate more of the Coens' uses of lighting.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Glad to finally have this back and super happy that it's airing on Mondays (blessedly, a pretty sparse night for TV).

I hope they can avoid stuff like fish raining from the sky. I mean, weird stuff happens in the Coens' Fargo, but nothing like that.

That happens in real life though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fully expecting this to tarnish the first season but I hope I'm wrong.

Turin

Banned
The show definitely looks to be on the right track. I hope they can avoid stuff like fish raining from the sky. I mean, weird stuff happens in the Coens' Fargo, but nothing like that.

They should try to incorporate more of the Coens' uses of lighting.

Shush. I love the fish raining scene.

And I suspect it was somewhat inspired by Magnolia and I have no problem with that at all.

I enjoyed the first season, so I'll be watching this once the season is over. I wasn't aware they were going to flush the cast of the first season, but I guess the time change can justify it.

LaneDS

I expect a great season but wonder if a single character will be able to exceed Lorne Malvo for me (guessing "no" but would love to be wrong).

aravuus

I expect a great season but wonder if a single character will be able to exceed Lorne Malvo for me (guessing "no" but would love to be wrong).

Yeah, Malvo is one of my favorite TV characters ever, so.. Probably a no for me too.

Still super excited for season 2, tho.

IronRinn

Number one thing I've been looking forward to this fall. I am fucking psyched!

And of course CB is on point with the OP, as usual. Looking forward to watching this with you guys.

A few more reviews:
Slant said:
While he does once again make some cute tips of the hat to the 1996 film, such as the casting of lookalikes in supporting roles, Hawley's aim is broader and deeper, and as a result he supersedes the show's strong inaugural season both in terms of narrative complexity and storytelling sophistication.

4.0/4.0 stars

EW said:
The terrifically acted, slow blooming second season of the Emmy-winning crime anthology inspired by the aesthetic and perspective contained within the cinematic oeuvre of Oscar-winning brothers Joel and Ethan Coen. Miller’s Crossing. The Man Who Wasn’t There. No Country For Old Men. And, most importantly, the 1996 snow noir classic that gives the series its name.
Grade B+

Sepinwall said:
By now, it's clear that the first season wasn't a fluke, or a miracle, but a sturdy piece of work made by people who have a fundamental command of this world and its tone, and who can reasonably be expected to keep it going for a while.

Is "Fargo" still great? You betcha.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Saw this thread and thought I missed the premiere somehow D:

Thanks for the thread Cornballer, nice work as always.

Great thread, can't wait to watch this but I'm going to so I can watch them all over a few days. Waiting a week for each episode sucks balls.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Andy Greenwald said:
Fargo returns for a second season at 10 p.m. ET on Monday, October 12. And it’s good. It’s so, so good. The only thing stopping me from saying it’s great is (a) a Midwestern humility that befits the subject matter, and (b) that I’ve only seen four episodes. Trust me when I say I’m counting the days until I can see more.

Link

Scavenger

Can't wait. Just like with the first season it's a Netflix original in several European countries so the episode should be up on Netflix within a few hours after it aired.

Top Bottom