• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

Am I crazy or was there a hint of romance between Gloria and her cop friend at the bar? I feel like they were about to kiss right before Gloria headed for the bathroom.

Not trying to connect any moment of human connection as "GAY!" but it would be a little poetic if Gloria had a realization after her husband came out to her months earlier.

- Warming Glow: ‘Fargo’ Frozen Five: Nikki Swango Is Out For Blood (And Money) (But Mostly Blood)

ubO6voM.gif

toTxv1L.gif

Fury451

Banned
Am I crazy or was there a hint of romance between Gloria and her cop friend at the bar? I feel like they were about to kiss right before Gloria headed for the bathroom.

Not trying to connect any moment of human connection as "GAY!" but it would be a little poetic if Gloria had a realization after her husband came out to her months earlier.

No, it definitely had those vibes, but I don't think it was intentional. I think it was just an emotional bonding moment between them that we haven't seen because both characters have really only been shown in an official duty capacity, other than the episode where Gloria is in Hollywood but even then she's all business.

I wonder what happened to Russian "wolf head" guy? I know he ended up at the bowling alley, aka Purgatory, at the end of the last episode but with a 3 month time skip I guess he is ... gone? Did the Wandering Jew convert him to Judaism?

Varga continues just to be the thing that is dragging this season down so hard. The asian hitman literally saw Swango get help by another guy (Mr. Wrench shooting a machine gun) and neither of them factor this guy into their elaborate meetup plans? Oh sure, lets make sure to get a bunch of guys suited up in coats and tea delivered and a room overlooking our spot but don't worry, I'm sure with my Zune player blasting in my ears no one will ever sneak up on me. Handover the money with a tracking device, send in an army of hitmen; encrypt your data; immediately move all your money elsewhere or play elaborate games with Miss Swango I guess.

Didn't seasons 1 & 2 setup an elaborate crime family that "controls" Fargo and surrounding areas? You know... the guys Mr. Wrench works for. I guess they don't mind Mr. Varga running elaborate schemes and killing dozens of people in their area, mafia guys are usually pretty hands off about that stuff.

Nairume

Banned
Didn't seasons 1 & 2 setup an elaborate crime family that "controls" Fargo and surrounding areas? You know... the guys Mr. Wrench works for. I guess they don't mind Mr. Varga running elaborate schemes and killing dozens of people in their area, mafia guys are usually pretty hands off about that stuff.
Unless I'm remembering wrong,
weren't they pretty devastated by the end of season 1?

Overall this season has felt pretty disjointed. Some story lines felt like they belonged in a different season and the plot has meandered at times when it should have been moving at a faster pace. It's definitely the worst of the three seasons (2nd being one of my favorite season of any show ever despite missing malvo) but still miles ahead of many other series.

All that said it's coming together a bit here for me in the final stretch. I've really loved the last couple of episodes and looking at it like a more allegorical story than the literal first season has made me appreciate it much more. The acting and cinematography is still some of the best on tv and I think looking back at all three seasons as a whole I appreciate it even more.

Veelk

Banned
I agree with a lot of the criticisms of this season, but dislike of Varga has worked in favor of this particular episode.

giphy.gif

Look at him all frazzled. He's barely holding back a tantrum.

Rolfgang

I agree with a lot of the criticisms of this season, but dislike of Varga has worked in favor of this particular episode.

giphy.gif

Look at him all frazzled. He's barely holding back a tantrum.

The character is really easy to hate. David Thewlis is rocking that role!

Also, I can never eat ice cream again in my life.

kevin1025

Banned
Wrench wouldn't let headphones man just walk away from his sniper perch, I feel like. But I guess he's the only henchman left so they couldn't cut Varga's power off completely. That was a minor issue for me.

It doesn't feel like the climax is going to be as interesting or climactic as previous seasons. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. I mean, income reports were the big cliffhanger to the penultimate episode, haha. I've liked a lot of the season, but once Ray was out of the picture, I haven't been as super invested. Nikki Swango is rocking it, at least!

Plus it's wasting Shea Whigham, which is a crime.

Saty

Why didn't Wrench just kill the henchman? He's already on the run from the law. And the Shea Whigham character immediately releasing a suspect who confessed is beyond any realm of plausibility. There wasn't even an investigation. It's stupid. It also still makes no sense why Emmit is unwilling to talk about Varga if he's willing to confess to murder.

There's just too many frustrating gaps in logic for me to enjoy this. The MEW stuff was the only real highlight IMO, Carrie Coon's character is still just there to be foiled by Whigham and little else.

Because the common thread tying the Fargo seasons is piss-poor plotting.

- IndieWire: The Coen Brothers’ Rules: 4 Filmmaking Practices That Give ‘Fargo’ Its Cinematic Consistency
“For ‘Fargo’ we have these visual rules that keep it in the Coen world,” said cinematographer Dana Gonzalez, who works closely with Hawley months before every season to nail down the show’s look.

We asked Gonzales to break down those rules and give us insight as to how the show’s look has evolved. Here’s a slightly edited version of what he had to say.
- Carrie Coon and Ewan McGregor talk with NY Mag about becoming actors (vid)
- Afterbuzz TV discusses Aporia with special guest Olivia Sandoval (Winnie) (youtube)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's an incredibly tiny detail, but I liked that they altered the opening to say the following events take place in 2011.

Betting money on Varga dying via his mother's special tea or choking. I'm not easily grossed out, and yet his eating Rocky road ice cream on the toilet almost made me have to look away from screen.

Slo

Finally starting Fargo season 3. Their portrayal of Minnesotan men as dopey, half-witted, do-gooders.....well geez, I gotta say I'm not too fond of it. I hate to say it, but I'm mad as heck.

Socreges

Banned
How involved are the Coen brothers? I assume they just get the EP title, a nice paycheque, and probably haven't been used as consultants since season 1.

Kadayi

Banned
Wrench wouldn't let headphones man just walk away from his sniper perch, I feel like. But I guess he's the only henchman left so they couldn't cut Varga's power off completely. That was a minor issue for me. .

This puzzled me as well. Similarly, though he just shot the engine out on the car following the truck versus icing the two flunkies in it, so I suspect the reasoning was simply down to not wanting to get the police involved as a result of homicide investigations. After all, both Nikki and Wrench are fugitives, so keeping it between Varga and them makes sense for now.

I just hope that Wrench doesn't bite it as a result.

Chumley

Banned
This puzzled me as well. Similarly, though he just shot the engine out on the car following the truck versus icing the two flunkies in it, so I suspect the reasoning was simply down to not wanting to get the police involved as a result of homicide investigations. After all, both Nikki and Wrench are fugitives, so keeping it between Varga and them makes sense for now.

I just hope that Wrench doesn't bite it as a result.

I'd be surprised if Nikki and Wrench don't die or get arrested. The show wants Gloria to save the day somehow. Knowing how against expectation the last two seasons finales were, I wouldn't be surprised if Varga comes out of it unscathed with another pithy speech. By all rights he should be completely fucked though. Maybe he evades Nikki and Gloria but then gets screwed by the IRS.

How involved are the Coen brothers? I assume they just get the EP title, a nice paycheque, and probably haven't been used as consultants since season 1.
They're not involved at all. A couple of quotes:
Joel Coen said:
We're just not very interested. I mean, we're perfectly happy with it. We have no problem with it. It just feels divorced from our film somehow.
Noah Hawley after S1 said:
When I first talked with Joel and Ethan Coen, they asked what I had planned to do about the characters' Minnesota accents. In the film they had become iconic and such a caricature in our culture that I felt we should really underplay them. They agreed. We wanted something that sounded regional without being so exaggerated. Aside from that, they never gave me any notes. They read the first script, liked it, suggested a few lines and jokes, but that was the sum total of their creative involvement. They said: "Look, we don't know television. It's your show -- just go make it."

When we showed them the first episode, Ethan said, "Yeah, good," which I've since learned is a rave review.

Kadayi

Banned
I'd be surprised if Nikki and Wrench don't die or get arrested. The show wants Gloria to save the day somehow. Knowing how against expectation the last two seasons finales were, I wouldn't be surprised if Varga comes out of it unscathed with another pithy speech. By all rights he should be completely fucked though. Maybe he evades Nikki and Gloria but then gets screwed by the IRS.

I hope arrested versus die. If they do ever make a 4th season I'd like to see Mr Wrench in it.

IronRinn

Finally caught up. Really good episode bookended by a pair of wonderful scenes (confessions both). Very much looking forward to seeing how everything wraps up and how/if everyone succumbs to Fargo's morality.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Did anyone else think Mr. Wrench didn't kill the henchman because what would be the point? Varga can always hire more men. They don't know he's so badass.

Chumley

Banned
Did anyone else think Mr. Wrench didn't kill the henchman because what would be the point? Varga can always hire more men. They don't know he's so badass.

I thought Varga can't afford more men like Meemo and the Russian. If he could he would have more around, but instead he had to use weasels like the lethal injection guy.

kevin1025

Banned
I thought word was Hawley could bring back Fargo if he has a good idea worth the show.

Yep, but after three seasons of Fargo, a season of Legion (and looking like he's immediately jumping into season two now), a book, adapting that book, and whatever else is cooking... the guy must be so burned out, haha.

Yep, but after three seasons of Fargo, a season of Legion (and looking like he's immediately jumping into season two now), a book, adapting that book, and whatever else is cooking... the guy must be so burned out, haha.

Oh sure. But I look forward to a new Fargo season in 2-3 years. That may be optimistic, but who knows?

Oh sure. But I look forward to a new Fargo season in 2-3 years. That may be optimistic, but who knows?
It certainly sounds like they'll shelve it for at least a few years, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hawley came back to the show at some point if he gets inspired. Seems like a reasonable way for FX to approach it.

Just because this season isn't as good as season 2 doesn't mean this isn't still in the top tier of tv right now. I mean I'm fine with Hawley not being overwhelming and making Legion season 2 amazing but I wouldn't mind another fargo season.

That being said I agree with the criticism that this is definitely the most disjointed season. In retrospect that trip to LA didn't really do much to put things into lotion. Episode 8 was one of the best episodes of the series though

Fury451

Banned
This season has delivered some truly spectacular moments, intermixed with moments in which the show disappeared up its own ass in pretentiousness on a regular basis.

I think the reason I like this season so much is that it's a good amalgamation of all of the highs and lows of the series as a whole.

Even the stuff that I find stupid and contrived I've enjoyed In context, maybe because in the back my mind I really take the whole "this is a story" thing they emphasize at the beginning of the season heart.

It feels like a really bizarre fairytale.

If this is indeed the last season, it's a good one to wrap up with, but as has been said a few times in this thread, the show is never really hit the great heights and I think it was capable of, but it certainly offered something different than most other things on television.

Plus we get Wrench/Nikki joining forces against evil Thewlis and that's made the ride worth it alone.

Top Bottom