• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filmed right here in Calgary.

I know because I ran into Bob Odenkirk during lunch at the Westin Hotel. Asked him why the fack Saul Goodman was in Calgary.

How so? By your username it sounds like you know more than me, but the 'son' is my first pick up and then the fact that I know a few Danes with similar names up here (Salveson) and my own Norwegian name, it just screams scandanavian to me.

The -son obviously means "son of". Which in this case would mean son of Solver, except Solver is not a name. Salve is a name, though a very old fashioned one.

BTW, spelling it "-son" is an American thing. Over here it would be Salvesen, and in fact I had a Salvesen in my class at school.

The -son obviously means "son of". Which in this case would mean son of Solver, except Solver is not a name. Salve is a name, though a very old fashioned one.

BTW, spelling it "-son" is an American thing. Over here it would be Salvesen, and in fact I had a Salvesen in my class at school.
I'm gonna name my kid solver :p

Well tusen takk for that!

Great job as always CB!

The key art for this show is simply great. Reviews and trailers look good, cast is stacked. cantwait.gif

zedge

I'm pretty darn excited to see how well/badly they portray the area I grew up and continue to live in.

The accents in the trailers are terrible already but I'll see how it goes.

Filmed in and around Calgary. :p

Filmed right here in Calgary.

I know because I ran into Bob Odenkirk during lunch at the Westin Hotel. Asked him why the fack Saul Goodman was in Calgary.

Billy Bob was at the Western final game. (Stamps vs Riders) heh

overcast

Loved the movie a great deal.

This looks very good, the cast is particularly great. Just hoping it can refer back and have it's own identity at the same time. I'm on board though.

bengraven

1) please please please be awesome - I loved Fargo and this cast is great. Plus, I'd love a series set in Minnesota. Maybe season 2 could take place in Southwest, my hood.

2) Martin, take a fucking vacation. Seriously, you work too hard. Or get your wife to work on more projects with you. Your kids miss you mufukka.

Ain't that the truth lol been here 22 years lol and I love how people think we say "oh don'tcha know" lol

I catch "Fargo-isms" occasionally, though I grew up in Dutch/German SWMN, far from the Scandanavian north and central.

Most of us say "yeeknow", even I catch myself occasionally. I catch an occasional "ya" from my dad on the phone. My uncle went to live in St. Cloud and ever since he came back he says "dey", "dem", "dere" now.

Wiktor

Anything else? You were talking plural. =P

Friday Night Lights
Drop-the-mic.gif

Also Bates Motel.

Scuderia

Actually quite looking forward to this, saw the trailer whilst watching 8 Out Of 10 Cats on Monday. Though it was just 1 minute of Freeman pulling random expressions and not saying a word.

torontoml

I was really looking forward to this, until I found out its only on FXX in Canada, and that is only available on Rogers. I don't even have the option to get Rogers Cable where I live.

- Vancouver Sun Review
Fargo, a 10-episode, limited series in the style of True Detective and American Horror Story, is filmed outside Calgary, and the production is impeccable, right down to the subtle, underplayed background music, the crisp clarity of ice crunching underfoot and the breathtaking cinematography. The real achievement of Fargo, however, is that it’s first and foremost one hell of a story, told simply and brilliantly.

- Variety Review
As bracing as the snowy vistas in the movie on which it is based, FX’s “Fargo” quickly establishes itself as its own property, possessing the tone and style of the rightly admired Coen brothers classic, but pursuing a new tawdry true-crime tale, albeit in similar environs. Boasting a stellar cast and hypnotic tone, is “Fargo” worth a 10-episode commitment? You betcha.

I love good sound design in shows. hannibal, true detective, breaking bad, and game of thrones all sound and look amazing. I'm super excited for this

Helmholtz

The whole idea of a show being based on the 1996 Coen brother's movie seems really bizarre to me. But I'm certainly willing to give this a shot considering the talent involved.

The whole idea of a show being based on the 1996 Coen brother's movie seems really bizarre to me. But I'm certainly willing to give this a shot considering the talent involved.

Haha, everyone I've talked to about this, hears the concept and are on the fence, till they hear about the talent, and then watch a trailer. Then they're hyped for it.

Linius

People have every right to doubt the quality of this show at this point. But they clearly don't watch enough FX dramas. In FX we trust.

- Newsday Review
"Fargo," the series, is funnier than the film, more bleakly so. The Coens, of course, got brilliant performances out of their film actors and they do here as well -- Thornton especially, who is a magnificent sociopath-monster. Freeman -- a superstar already -- simply reminds everyone again how good he is. But the film was a masterpiece of storytelling economy that didn't spill over into side-stories, a few of which are patently ridiculous in the series. The film's essential weirdness felt real. The TV series' weirdness is more often just comical or disgusting.

Grade: B+

- RogerEbert.com review
With an amazing ensemble driven by great performances from top to bottom, an incredibly smart writers’ room, brilliant callbacks to the original that feel more inspired than forced, and a filmmaking style that feels as cinematic as this grand Minnesotan tragedy deserves, Fargo is one of the most addictive new shows of the year.

- Tim Goodman's review for THR:
Noah Hawley has created a television version of Fargo where it exists in a similar world with familiar people who are not exactly like those in the Coen Brothers film. In the process, he's created his own vision while simultaneously paying homage to the original and giving fans of the film another chance to live in that strange, hilarious world of "Minnesota nice." Given the pitfalls that were possible, Fargo is an extremely impressive concept pulled off with surprising vigor by Hawley and a superb cast.

Will I miss something if I've never watched the original film? Asking because I read that it is a remake and an adaptation expansion.

I recently watched the movie again a couple weeks ago after probably 10 years since seeing it. It's god damn perfect. I'm really interested in watching this, but I think I might wait until the run is finished. I just know that I'm too close to it, and I'll just try to compare it to the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom