• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the show, glad its coming back (as expected!!)

I watched the movie the other week (had never seen it before), it was ok but yea, just felt like it was missing... something, I dunno. Felt short, didn't feel as satisfied afterwards, of course its easier achieving that in a TV show with more hours to spend - I was just expecting more I guess.

Obviously as a fan of the TV show the part with the money and the snow was cool though. :)

A few more tidbits:
Hawley says "Fargo," "A Serious Man" and "No Country For Old Men" were the three Coen Brothers movies that influenced the first season and says the second season will be influenced by "Fargo," "Miller's Crossing" and "The Man Who Wasn't There."

Littlefield says that Billy Bob Thornton's presence gave them permission to play in this Coen Brothers world. "I think a lot of people are going to want to be around and are going to want to play in the 'Fargo' sandbox in Season 2," Littlefield says. "They might be household names," Littlefield suggests, noting that all manner of stars are interested in TV for 10 hours. "We're very close to landing Colin Farrell for a role in the second season," Hawley cracks.

A question about last year's Canadian Winter. Are they building any contingencies into the scripts to avoid another Polar Vortex. "Well, I'm not writing another blizzard episode. That's for sure," Hawley says. But he says they only lost one day of production. They're starting production in January.

Hawley says they won't build a second season around allegories or Midrash or Zen koan, but he says that certain themes are already coming. He doesn't want to turn the things that were original about the first season into repeated tropes. "You can't surprise people the same way twice," he says.

The first season, they had a crazy post-production schedule. "I would like not to do that again," Hawley says. Littlefield says that production will go deep into May and so they probably won't new able to premiere until fall. "We'll be ready to serve whenever they want it," Littlefield says.

Final cross post. Fargo Season 2:

Details!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/21/fargo-season-2/?hootPostID=7e4249529b178344371758fc24ce331d

Takes place in 1979 in Sioux Falls with a 33 year old Lou Solverson as the lead. Miller's Crossing and There Man Who Wasn't There are there inspirations.

Holy shit, guys.

You know how in FX’s Fargo there were all those cryptic references to Lou Solverson’s (Keith Carradine) traumatic case in Sioux Falls back in 1979?
That case is the focus of Fargo season 2.

Writer-producer Noah Hawley spoke to reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Monday, hours after FX officially confirmed that the Emmy-lauded show will get a 10-episode second season.

Hawley said the next season is set in 1979 and will feature a 33-year-old version of Solverson, a state cop recently back from fighting in the Vietnam War. “He thought he left the war behind, but he came back and here it is, it’s domestic,” the writer-producer teased. “We will meet Molly’s mother, who was not a character in season 1 … and we’ll learn what happened to her. Ben Schmidt [the police lieutenant played by Peter Breitmayer in the first season] will factor in there somewhere. … There were a lot of clues left in the first season and we’ll do our best to hit those.”
The writer noted the first season’s cinematic inspirations were the Coen brothers films Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and A Serious Man. Season 2 will be Fargo, Miller’s Crossing, and The Man Who Wasn’t There. “Let the internet speculation begin,” he said.

The story will be set in Sioux Falls, Luverne, and Fargo, and once again the show’s base of production will be Calgary in Alberta, Canada. FX expects the next season to premiere in fall, 2015.

Hawley confirmed the original cast will not return for season 2 (though noted to a few reporters afterward that having characters return in a presumed season 3 is possible—just not in back-to-back seasons). Even Carradine won’t appear next season, despite the second season’s lead being a younger version of his character (so there’s no framing device). “I think it’s going to be standalone as a period piece,” he said. Hawley noted that the American Horror Story model—using the same group of actors each season in an anthology series—doesn’t seem to be as suitable for Fargo, which tells true crime stories and uses a similar setting in the second season. “I would like nothing more than to see the continuing adventures of Molly and Gus, but it felt like it would be disingenuous to give them another crazy Coen brothers case,” he said. And while Hawley praised the AHS model for that show, he noted, “It gets hard to look past the actors. … I like the idea that the character comes first and hopefully the actor disappears into the role.”
“The subtitle will be Fargo: Backlash,” Hawley joked.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sounds good, hopefully they nail the casting. Keith Carradine is pretty good at pulling off dry but likable characters.

Alpende

Sounds pretty awesome. I hope we get references to Lorne Malvo, it was heavily implied he had something to do with Sioux Falls.

Denton

Just finished watching. Started yesterday. This show makes True Detective look like kindergarten stuff. So god damn flawless.
I enjoyed it more than the movie and loved the god damn movie.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished watching. Started yesterday. This show makes True Detective look like kindergarten stuff. So god damn flawless.
I enjoyed it more than the movie and loved the god damn movie.

Yeah I just finished binge watching it too. I couldn't get into True Detective at all but I LOVED Fargo... I really need to rewatch the movie, only seen it once 15 years ago so can't remember much.

I rarely feel like that while watching a show but I totally got cought in the tension... I actually had a tough time watching the last episode because I was too stressed out.

Also, I generally don't give a crap when somebody gets killed in a TV show or a movie but I genuinly felt bad for
the chief, the second wife and the three from Vegas
.... Terrible stuff, so random and cold.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Just finished watching and really enjoyed it

The only thing that bothered me...

Why would Lester approach him in Vegas??? And then say yes to "is this what you want" and then flee?

Just really dumb

Dice//

Banned
Schattenjäger;126672671 said:
Just finished watching and really enjoyed it

The only thing that bothered me...

Why would Lester approach him in Vegas??? And then say yes to "is this what you want" and then flee?

Just really dumb

I asked the same thing; I think it was a matter of pride. The "then" Lester to the "now". He got away with murder, was no longer trivialized by his peers, he was on top of things! He sure as hell wasn't scared of Malvo either.

Unfortunately, it was the wrong place at the wrong time since it compromised a new job Malvo was on.

Any word on this showing up on streaming services? I know FX has put some shows like Americans up on Prime Instant Video. Debating whether to buy the season on Amazon or just wait it out.

Any word on this showing up on streaming services? I know FX has put some shows like Americans up on Prime Instant Video. Debating whether to buy the season on Amazon or just wait it out.
I haven't heard anything recently. At the moment, I believe you're limited to purchasing it on Amazon.

awp69

Happy to see "Fargo" win best mini-series las night, but think Billy Bob Thornton deserved the Emmy over Benedict Cumberbatch. I like Sherlock, but loved Billy Bob in this role.

Good to see Freeman getting some Emmy love even if it wasn't for Fargo (maybe the Fargo performance helped nudge the votes in his favor?)

so is anyone watching fargo at the moment, just started season 1 and I think it's not the worst thing ever, but def not on the level of shows i consider good.
I really liked "Fargo the movie" and I keep watching this, because of my love for the setting, but it's more a guilty pleasure thing for me than anything else. what does/did GAF think about this one. Is it getting better or can i expect more of the same?

-Deimos

so is anyone watching fargo at the moment, just started season 1 and I think it's not the worst thing ever, but def not on the level of shows i consider good.
I really liked "Fargo the movie" and I keep watching this, because of my love for the setting, but it's more a guilty pleasure thing for me than anything else. what does/did GAF think about this one. Is it getting better or can i expect more of the same?

Started out really slow for me but it got a lot better.

Rembrandt

Banned

I know it was on FXNOW a while back when the show was still OTA, so it might be worth checking that real quick.

Loved every part of it, tbh. I had a real hard time deciding between this and True Detective last year. Either way, if you're not into now, it does definitely improve as the series goes on.

Casting rumors starting to circulate:

- The Wrap: Jeffrey Donovan Joining ‘Fargo’ for Season 2; Nick Offerman Sought for Role
Second iteration of FX's Coen Brothers adaptation will be set in 1979

Jeffrey Donovan is packing his bags for “Fargo,” and Nick Offerman could be joining him.

“Burn Notice” star Donovan is nearing a deal to join the second season of FX's anthology series “Fargo,” while “Parks and Recreation” star Offerman has an offer to join the cast, though he's not currently in negotiations, multiple individuals with knowledge of the castings told TheWrap on Wednesday.

Donovan, whose credits also include “Crossing Jordan” and “Law & Order,” has been cast in the role of Dodd.

The second season of the adaptation of the Coen Brothers’ iconic film will also feature Rachel Keller, who will play the role of Simone in the Noah Hawley-created series. Relative newcomer Keller also stars in the comedy “Hollidaysburg,” opposite Tobin Mitnick.

In addition to the castings of Donovan and Keller, another individual with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap that Mike Bradecich (“Mighty Med”) and Allan Dobrescu are also in contention for roles in the series, which starred Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman, Colin Hanks and Allison Tolman in its first season.

A spokesman for FX did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

Should Offerman join the cast, he would play the role of Carl. With “Parks and Recreation” preparing to enter its final season, “Fargo” would be an enticing proposition, though he has not yet made up his mind about signing on for the series.

As Hawley revealed at the Television Critics Association press tour in July, the second iteration of “Fargo” will take place in 1979 and feature a young Lou Solverson (played by Keith Carradine in the first season) as a 33-year-old veteran who recently arrived home from the Vietnam war.

Hawley added that the second season will draw inspiration from the Coen Brothers films will be inspired by “Fargo,” “Miller's Crossing” and “The Man Who Wasn't There.”

I think Offerman will fit right in with the show's style.

all-the-bacon-and-eggs-o.gif

Hatchtag

Banned
It's gonna be fucking hard to top the main four of the first season. Especially Thorton. Offerman could fit in the show's style easily though, and the funny people that played side characters (Glenn Howerton, Bob Odenkirk, Key and Peele) really enhanced the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom