• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint dev gives opinion of what he wants in next PSVR iteration (2.0)

Shin

Banned
Farpoint developer Impulse Gear worked closely with Sony in developing the Aim Controller and one of PSVR's first genuine must-own experiences.
As such, its founder, Seth Luisi, has a deeper understanding than most of the technology and where it can go.

At some point Sony will iterate and improve its VR headset with a PSVR 2: when that happens, what order would you like to see Sony put its focus from the following features - a wireless headset, a Move 2.0 controller, room-scale and improved resolution?
Talking from the Impulse Gear developer position, as we show with the Aim Controller, we do feel that controls and controller tracking are very important.
We are able to achieve a lot with the Aim Controller and I would love to see that taken further. So I would probably put Move 2.0 at the top. I think room-scale would come along just behind that.

Resolution is always going to get better and the higher it gets, the more realistic the games will look. More important than that, however, is a wider field of view.
Having a wider field of view can make you feel more immersed in the world, and I think that will be a big focus [for Sony] going forward.

To me, I am not that interested in wireless headsets, mostly because I know how big the technical challenge is with them. It's not that you can't do it wireless, it's more the latency, the image quality and the fidelity challenge of it.
That is something that I think is going to be a little further away as there are just so many challenges with doing it right.

Read the full interview: https://www.finder.com.au/farpoint-dev-tells-sony-what-he-wants-in-psvr-2-0

BigEmil

Seems reasonable better tracking and higher resolutions and wider FOV and more as you'd expect from the next interation. And yeah being realistic the next one won't be wireless it's still too early for that especially for cheap, it could have less cables though

Shin

Banned
One line of thinking puts the answer somewhere in between the two, with a possible 2019 launch of the Oculus Rift 2. Facebook revenue forecasts reported by IR.net show a slowing down of revenue from sales of the Oculus Rift in 2018, but then a massive uptick in 2019.
If the above is true then we can probably expect a new headset from Vive as well around 2019, so it's not so strange that to think a PSVR 2.0 will exist.
Especially since it will most likely be paired with PS5, I wonder if these studios will give input on the device itself.
Because PlayStation has been pushing Farpoint a lot, on their YouTube channel (all 3, US, EU, JP) as well as creating the Aim Controller and bundling the game with it.

Can't wait for the next gen of headsets. A big increase in field of view and resolution along with the sheer graphical power of next gen engines is going to look amazing in VR.

I think it's very important that VR on PS5 is backwards compatible with the original PSVR headset on day 1. Keep that ecosystem growing.

All sounds reasonable.

I think it's right to ignore wireless VR for the time being. It's going to be at a disadvantage from tethered systems, at least for the foreseeable future.

BigEmil

Can't wait for the next gen of headsets. A big increase in field of view and resolution along with the sheer graphical power of next gen engines is going to look amazing in VR.

I think it's very important that VR on PS5 is backwards compatible with the original PSVR headset on day 1. Keep that ecosystem growing.
Definitely this, if they want this niche market to succeed further BC with PSVR 1.0 on PS5 is a must

Definitely this, if they want this niche market to succeed further BC with PSVR 1.0 on PS5 is a must

I'm good with forcing the developer to update their product to work with the new headset, but I don't want the new headset to be held back just to maintain backwards compatibility with old games.

BigEmil

I'm good with forcing the developer to update their product to work with the new headset, but I don't want the new headset to be held back just to maintain backwards compatibility with old games.
Then there should be an option atleast, devs can choose whether to support previous PSVR model or not doesn't have to be mandatory. Also visuals etc can be improved more on PS5 like how PS4 Pro versions of VR games are enhanced

Shin

Banned

I think this will very much be the case, even though PSVR just came out 8? months ago it doesn't seem like another Wonderbook thing.
The support is there for the peripheral and hell we're even getting a One Piece VR game, that says a lot to me.
Just like PS4 Pro makes the games run and look better I'd expect the same from PS5/PSVR2, I don't see them killing off the platform.
After all this isn't just one camp trying something new out, you got VR headsets and experience with almost everything.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think wireless is something that would be nice but wouldn't ultimately add too much to the experience. Regardless of the technical hurdles, it's not like many people at home will have the space for all that much freedom of movement anyway. Better cable management is a must however, and I believe Sony could very well lead the way in this regard with some innovative ergonomic solutions.

muteki

They need to make sure whatever PS box is around for a PSVR2 is powerful enough to drive it. Since so many developers are unwilling to put the time/effort needed into what is essentially 2 versions of games (one for VR, one not) they need to make sure VR support is as turn-key as possible.

They need to make sure whatever PS box is around for a PSVR2 is powerful enough to drive it. Since so many developers are unwilling to put the time/effort needed into what is essentially 2 versions of games (one for VR, one not) they need to make sure VR support is as turn-key as possible.

I can see it releasing AFTER the next Playstation console.

I think wireless is something that would be nice but wouldn't ultimately add too much to the experience. Regardless of the technical hurdles, it's not like many people at home will have the space for all that much freedom of movement anyway. Better cable management is a must however, and I believe Sony could very well lead the way in this regard with some innovative ergonomic solutions.

I have a Rift and I disagree. The best games I have require 360 degree turning at the least, and the headset wire gets in the way a lot. I'd say it's one of the top 5 biggest changes VR needs. If it compromises fidelity/latency though, well then leave it out. But they're working on wireless right now on the PC side with good results. The question is can they have these results with a way higher resolution.

MaDKaT

Certainly agree with wider FOV. Would gladly take the same pixel density for something even just closer to my motorcycle helmet if not wider. That and eye tracking.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Roomscale is 100% needed. Or at least the ability to turn around and not lose controller tracking (aka standing 360).

Not sure how we are going ro convince the mass market that they have to hide 2 tracking cameras in their living rooms though.

Is inside out controller tracking possible? Is there some type of signal that goes tbrough the human body (isnt occluded).

The dual shock 5 should also be breakable into two separate controllers that track as well as vive wands and have finger tracking sensors. :p

Wireless is just as useful, if not more for letting you turn around comfortably from a standing position without getting tangled up. One of my biggest gripes at the moment is not feeling like I'm completely free to turn and move however I want for fear of getting wrapped up (talking about Vive here). That's not so much an issue if they're still going for a forward facing camera setup for Gen 2 PSVR, but I also think that would be a mistake.

Otherwise, I think he's mostly on point. Move 2.0 is a must considering how much they're holding PSVR back right now (with no sticks). Larger FOV, especially when we're talking about PSVR, would go a long way as well.

Better tracking and room-scale capable is good (along with increase in res, of couirse), but also really need the following:

Eye-tracking and that technology that works with focusing, so that when you perceive something is closer or further away your eyes actually focus on something closer or further away, rather then all of it on the same plane.

Can't remember the name of the tech off the top of my head.

Tagyhag

I disagree with wireless not being that important.

When you use room scale and you play games where it is vital (Like Xortex) you ALWAYS have the cables in the back of your mind it keeps you away from 100% true immersion.

If PSVR 2 has roomscale but no wireless solution it's always going to feel like it's a step behind considering there are already people working on that for the Vive.

Wollan

Wireless is a must. It's a pain as is.
Successor will likely be 2020 for PS5.
If they can get 2018 Vive level hardware (knuckles, wireless, room-scale) with built-in headset and PSVR comfort for a cheap price then that's great.

Tagyhag

Wireless is a must. It's a pain as is.
Successor will likely be 2020 for PS5.
If they can get 2018 Vive level hardware (knuckles, wireless, room-scale) with built-in headset and PSVR comfort for a cheap price then that's great.

That's what I'm curious about actually.

The reason PSVR is so cheap is because it's using light-tracking solution.

If they use something else to get room-scale, won't the price increase?

Of course it could all get cheaper by the time these things are being developed.

*Splinter

Haven't used both Gear VR and PSVR a fair bit, wireless is by far my most desired feature for PSVR2. I think Move 2.0 is a bit of a no brainer as it's so easy to do, but a wireless headset + swivel chair makes such a difference

Better tracking and room-scale capable is good (along with increase in res, of couirse), but also really need the following:

Eye-tracking and that technology that works with focusing, so that when you perceive something is closer or further away your eyes actually focus on something closer or further away, rather then all of it on the same plane.

Can't remember the name of the tech off the top of my head.

Foveated rendering. The biggest benefit of foveated rendering isn't even focus, it's that only the area of focus is fully rendered on the screen, vastly mitigating PC requirements to run VR at high resolutions.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nothing that crazy, makes sense. Roomscale and excellent tracking is a must, we know that much.
Regarding good enough wireless for quality VR with super low latency, I still wonder if we'll get there by 2020 and really hoping that we will. Personally, I just want really insane IQ & quality custom OLEDS/lenses. I want gen 2 HMDs to make these current HMDs look like the Virtual Boy.

Of course it could all get cheaper by the time these things are being developed.

I think the base station tech is pretty cheap actually and Valve licenses (may not be the correct term) it for free. If Sony wanted to they could use that.

Nothing that crazy, makes sense. Roomscale and excellent tracking is a must, we know that much.
Regarding good enough wireless for quality VR with super low latency, I still wonder if we'll get there by 2020 and really hoping that we will. Personally, I just want really insane IQ & quality custom OLEDS/lenses. I want gen 2 HMDs to make these current HMDs look like the Virtual Boy.
By just about all accounts, that's already here (Google the "TPCast") and there are about three other solutions from other players including Intel that are supposed to be out next year.

VICI0US

The moves are definitely a weak aspect of the PSVR. they really shouldn't have tried to shoehorn in last gen controller tech. smart from a business perspective as they were probably sitting on a mountain of unsold moves, but they're just not up to the caliber of oculus touch or the vive wands.

and then there's the stupid breakout box. they simultaneously release the ps4 pro focused on pushing "4k" and HDR and don't design the PSVR breakout box to be capable of passing an HDR signal. So stupid.

Wollan

Whatever $400 gets you in 2020 that includes everything needed, no fragmentation, in one package.

$400 can eventually be pressed down to $300.
$500 would cap sales drastically (more or less current PSVR ecosystem).

I'm sure room scale is amazing (sadly I haven't tried it myself) but I question how many people in the subset of gamers interested in VR are going to have a mostly empty room space in which to use it.

I can't imagine the PS5 will need a seperate processing unit for VR. One cable out (HDMI/USB combined) going to the headset, and another HDMI cable going into the TV should be all you need.

Wollan

I'm sure room scale is amazing (sadly I haven't tried it myself) but I question how many people in the subset of gamers interested in VR are going to have a mostly empty room space in which to use it.
360 flawless tracking is the more important part of room-scale tech.

If you have room to spread your arms and legs and turn around 360 degrees, you're good. That's not true roomscale, but if you add being able to take one more step in each direction, you have like 95% roomscale function. So I'd say as long as you have 6'x6', that's really all you need. Ideal would be about 10'x10'.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
By just about all accounts, that's already here (Google the "TPCast") and there are about three other solutions from other players including Intel that are supposed to be out next year.
Excited for the wireless Vive solution. Wondering how far this tech will advance by 2020. :)

Whatever $400 gets you in 2020 that includes everything needed, no fragmentation, in one package.

$400 can eventually be pressed down to $300.
$500 would cap sales drastically (more or less current PSVR ecosystem).
100% this. Sony must not go a penny over $400. This expensive accessory will simply not sell to the mainstream at $400+ price point.

In February, Sony applied for a patent for a new sensor system for VR, similar to Vive's lighthouse.

sony-patents-vive-like-tracking-system-for-psvr-2.jpg

“A method for determining an orientation of a photosensor of a controller with respect to a projector is described. The method includes generating, by a beam generator of the projector, a beam. The method further includes modifying a direction of travel of the beam using a micro-electro-mechanical system (MEMS) mirror that moves in a pattern, deflecting the beam, calculating a time at which the beam is detected and determining based on the pattern and the time an orientation of the beam to determine the orientation of the photosensor.”

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/02/10/sony-patents-vive-like-tracking-system-psvr/

I agree with the "field of view" response. For racing games and games that make sense for me to be in a virtual helmet, maybe having a narrow view is ok. I can pretend it's ok at least. The reality is that while VR is leagues above playing on a TV, a wider view I believe would place you so much more into the game world.

After that, resolution would be the next thing I would improve. Tracking can be improved but for me works great over 90% of the time. Resolution on the other hand, is bad on the PSVR 100% of the time.

Wollan

Vive 2.0 trackers releasing this holiday is apparantly much cheaper since they managed to remove a larger component (sync blinkers) from the tech stack (the IR will going forward serve both tracking and syncing).

Zarth

Funny you can see its a developer approach since they don't care about wireless.

Wireless is a must for this stuff to go anywhere near mainstream.

Price drops over time.....

Just like Vita 2.

VR is nothing like vita nor is it going anywhere, if you think it is then lol. No one expects Vita 2...everyone expects VR to grow and it is, slowly but surely. How can you even post that? Vr is brand new tech, and it will be a long game of slowly growing the market.

I mean Major companies are pushing VR, and not just for gaming...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm still angry we didn't get a Move 2.0 with PSVR 1.0. I guess Sony must have had a huge leftover inventory of them or something.

border

I will be pretty surprised if Sony releases another VR headset. Enthusiasm for PSVR 1.0 seems to have subsided significantly.

Zarth

I will be pretty surprised if Sony releases another VR headset. Enthusiasm for PSVR 1.0 seems to have subsided significantly.

I feel like at this point I've seen just about everything PSVR 1.0 is capable of between RE, Farpoint, and Bridge Crew.

I think theres still cool experiences but I'm not expecting anything drastically different from the primary playstyles of these games.

EDIT: Maybe rhythm like Thumper too but I just don't enjoy that in VR as much as some people.

Shin

Banned
Price drops over time.....

VR is nothing like vita nor is it going anywhere, if you think it is then lol. No one expects Vita 2...everyone expects VR to grow and it is, slowly but surely. How can you even post that? Vr is brand new tech, and it will be a long game of slowly growing the market.

I mean Major companies are pushing VR, and not just for gaming...

Pretty much this...
I am curious what the resolution will be per eye and what the other companies will be doing.
This platform is going to grow, it might be slow but there's interest there otherwise all the big companies wouldn't have jumped in if they didn't see something in the tech.

Lady Gaia

I empathize and agree with the concerns that wireless gets more important at room scale. I also do not expect it, purely for latency reasons. Under ideal conditions I could see getting latency close to what we have today but it's important that it get better still, and doubly important that it work in environments that are far from ideal.

Focal depth tracking and foveated rendering are areas I'd love to see improvement that are probably at least one more generation of headset tech away. PSVR 3? The again, they shouldn't require more powerful hardware and arguably the latter would let you get better perceived quality at high frame rates out of the same GPU. They just need some breakthroughs in cost-effective and sufficiently reliable eye tracking.

As others have referenced, changes to the PS5 would help support the hardware are an interesting part of the puzzle. Do we finally see a second HDMI port? No passthrough required for the conventional display, and a second port that could be configured for VR or dedicated audio out?

Fisty

Sounds great, and I completely agree with the wireless headset thing. People waiting on 90-120fps dual-screen at over 1440p are going to be waiting a LONG time

Top Bottom