• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

Alienous

Is there any reason to be excited about this? (I don't mean this as harshly as it sounds).

I want to be excited about it but everything I've seen looks bland. For instance the enemy design looks especially poor.

Hoping to hear some good impressions and especially good impressions playing with the PS4 DualShock controller before diving in.

I don't have the room for a stand-up type experience nor do I want more accessories for a limited amount of games but I'll reconsider if the experience is said to be super amazing.

cakely

I had the farpoint bundle in my amazon cart but they took it out and made it unavailable.

I regret not pre-ordering now. I know the game is going to be short and shallow but it looks like fun light gun action.

There are 5 games supporting Aim controller at launch window, most of them has an endless/survival mode for maximum replayability, so you don't have to worry about that. All of them are very distinct too, ranging from cartoon style to sci-fi and zombies.

You can charge via micro usb, same one as PS4 controllers, no cables provided by the way.

Co-op is online, working together to clear a mission.

Thanks for the info, don't worry i don't mind spending the money to have the best experience.

Bit bummed about the Co-op as my co-op buddy can't afford VR (and just plays mine when he wants) sure i will find somone to play it with. To be honest likely will just end up playing more Rocket League after finish campaign, and still need to finish horizion.

Z3M0G

Before we get started, I just want to get the most frequently asked question out of the way.

This is the PlayStation Sharpshooter from the PS3 Move days. No, it does not work with PSVR Aim supported games. The Aim is an entirely new peripheral with added sensors for better accuracy.

Still raging over this... :/

I get it though... So I assume a normal Move controller can't be used at all?

Is there any word on other games supporting the Aim Controller in the future??

Edit: sorry, it's right there in the OP:

List of Confirmed Titles that Support the Aim

Farpoint (May 16)
Dick Wilde (May TBA)
The Brookhaven Experiment (Available now, Aim patch coming June 6)
Arizona Sunshine (June TBA)
ROM: Extraction (TBA)

Aim FAQ

1) So the Aim supports more than just Farpoint?

Yep. In addition to the five titles listed above, there are also a couple of unannounced internal Sony titles that will make use of the Aim.

MattAces

Still raging over this... :/

I get it though... So I assume a normal Move controller can't be used at all?

Is there any word on other games supporting the Aim Controller in the future??

Nope, Farpoint is the one and only game supporting Aim controller. The controller won't be used by any other games in the future. jk.

Okay on a serious note, aside from the 5 games in the launch window, Sony confirmed there's at least 1 or 2 in house game in development using Aim controller.

hesido

How would one expect to move? On rails with a shooting gallery?

Thanks, Sony, for not adding Analogue sticks to the move. It was SUCH as blatantly obvious good design choice, nullifying the need for the stupid and non-motion capable nav-controller, and much more game mechanic enhancements and consumer benefits. Including this very game so I wouldn't have to buy the aim, for example, to simply not have to play with a DS4. It was such a forward looking design that Sony refused to add on absurd reasonings that they tried to sell (e.g. You can't use an analogue stick while waving your hands hurr durr hurr durr.)

p8awj45.jpg

Having said these, I'm really interested in the locomotion solution of this game. Reviewers please let us know!

Based upon.... exactly what?

It's been sold out on Amazon for about a month. So... yeah, there is that evidence that it is in demand....

So, thanks for the insightful input!

I actually misused the word bomb. I meant the game will not turn out good. It's my personal opinion after all, it cold very well turn out great who knows

Unknown?

Thanks, Sony, for not adding Analogue sticks to the move. It was SUCH as blatantly obvious good design choice, nullifying the need for the stupid and non-motion capable nav-controller, and much more game mechanic enhancements and consumer benefits.
I thought so too but looking at that pic you'd need to do a lot more redesigning than just adding a stick. You can't move and press the face buttons doing that!

MattAces

Thanks, Sony, for not adding Analogue sticks to the move. It was SUCH as blatantly obvious good design choice, nullifying the need for the stupid and non-motion capable nav-controller, and much more game mechanic enhancements and consumer benefits.

To push consumer to buy yet another controller again? Had you seen previous Aim controller post about people whining?
Introducing a slightly modified version of Move then charging $50 again would be a PR disaster.

Using move is the cheapest option, people complain about lack of functionality.
If Sony restrict people from using Move and introduce a slight modified Move with thumbstick, people who already own Move will complain again.
Sony tried something special, make an Aim controller with two thumbstick, people complain about needing to buy another peripheral.
It's a lose lose situation for them.

cakely

Thanks, Sony, for not adding Analogue sticks to the move. It was SUCH as blatantly obvious good design choice, nullifying the need for the stupid and non-motion capable nav-controller, and much more game mechanic enhancements and consumer benefits. Including this very game so I wouldn't have to buy the aim, for example, to simply not have to play with a DS4. It was such a forward looking design that Sony refused to add on absurd reasonings that they tried to sell (e.g. You can't use an analogue stick while waving your hands hurr durr hurr durr.)

Having said these, I'm really interested in the locomotion solution of this game. Reviewers please let us know!

Yeah, the move would have been much more useful with a thumbstick instead of that ridiculous move button that doesn't even have a counterpart on the DS4.

hesido

I thought so too but looking at that pic you'd need to do a lot more redesigning than just adding a stick. You can't move and press the face buttons doing that!

Well, neither can you on a DS4.

Since you have two of these, your one thumb is for the locomotion, and the face buttons are for your other thumb. Surely this was put together by me in a matter of 15 minutes but there's not fundamental problem that cannot be solved.

To push consumer to buy yet another controller again? Had you seen previous Aim controller post about people whining?
Sony using PS Move instead of introducing a slightly modified version of Move then charging $50 again would be a PR disaster.

Using move is the cheapest option, people complain about lack of functionality.
If Sony restrict people from using Move and introduce a slight modified Move with thumbstick, people will complain again.
Sony tried something special, make an Aim controller with two thumbstick, people complain about needing to buy another peripheral.
It's a lose lose situation for them.

My issue is that they did not do this from the get go, I've blogged it way back in 2010:
  • Buying a second Move controller for your left hand would double as the current sub-controller with full motion tracking.
  • You would not have to buy a third controller for hardcore games.
  • The second Move controller would instantly allow you to play two player casual games with a friend, while allowing hardcore single player experiences.
  • Buying a 4 move controller set would allow for 2-4 people casual gaming experiences, 2 player hardcore gaming experiences in a split screen, all at once, with less controller clutter, with less confusion (every controller is the same), all without the need of total of 6 controllers for similar setup, but with more features for every game, as your left hand input is tracked much better with the main controller: The sub-controller is patently inferior to the main move controller for motion input.
  • Left hand input would allow gesture based input, while right hand input would be for fine targeting and the analogue on the right would be used for coarse turning.
  • Some games that need a single analogue input could get away with using a single controller in your hand.
  • Players wielding a single controller would have access to the wonders of an analogue control stick.
  • Overall casual gaming experience would be cheaper to get into.
  • Overall hardcore gaming experience would be better, for reasons mentioned above.

Edit: When blogging this, I thought nav-controller (sub controller as mentioned in the post) had accelerometers for rudimentary motion input! But no, it's even worse than that.

And this is me before the launch of morpheus, asking for an add on so people do not have to rebuy:
Fixing The Move controller in time for Morpheus, armchair re-engineering the Move

Cleve

I'm really excited for this. My bundle left the amazon warehouse already, and I'm freeing up my afternoon tomorrow to dig in. Do we know how long the campaign is supposed to be?

Does anyone who has tried this game have any opinion on how "comfortable" the game is in terms of movement? Meaning, is it likely to cause motion sickness?

I know that everyone is different, but some games appear to be more likely to cause VR sickness over others.

Thanks for any input on this!

Unknown?

Well, neither can you on a DS4.

Since you have two of these, your one thumb is for the locomotion, and the face buttons are for your other thumb. Surely this was put together by me in a matter of 15 minutes but there's not fundamental problem that cannot be solved.

My issue is that they did not do this from the get go, I've blogged it way back in 2010:

And this is me before the launch of morpheus, asking for an add on so people do not have to rebuy:
Fixing The Move controller in time for Morpheus, armchair re-engineering the Move
DS4 has two hands holding it. You'd need to move face buttons on the back or add more trigger buttons to the back. The way that mock up is set you'd only be able to use the stick and back t trigger. That's fine for simplistic shooters though.

Marcoos

I've gone from not interested in this, to pre ordering based on voucher codes and now really hyped for it to turn up on Wednesday!

jrush64

Banned
I think i want to get this but I need to know. Is it a first person shooter/view game like call of duty but in VR? I'm not asking about the shooting, im using it as an example. Does it have full movement and controls like cod.

Symbiotx

I almost cancelled my pre-order because of the embargo. I ended up sticking with it since I really want the aim controller, and I have the prime discount. Looking forward to trying it out!

hesido

DS4 has two hands holding it. You'd need to move face buttons on the back or add more trigger buttons to the back. The way that mock up is set you'd only be able to use the stick and back t trigger. That's fine for simplistic shooters though.

Surely the design could have changes, but again, the face buttons are for compatibility. A move based game, for example, could ditch the use of the face buttons and just use the analogue stick directions and the r3 - l3 for added flavours, since your right analogue is now free as you don't need to aim with it. The right analogue stick could well be used with a selection wheel that surpasses what you can do with just the face buttons. Also, the face buttons are place around the big move button, which you probably wouldn't need anyway.

Opening one up shows how much redesigning would be required and going from something like the Touch controllers to the Move controllers highlights that a total overall would really have been required, I think it would have been worth doing especially if it could have been used in normal play not just motion. I would happily pay for a premium motion controllers with the ability to play any game with them like a standard controller, I'm personally hoping that there is another motion controller in the works and that the only reason we haven't heard anything is that they are thoroughly being worked on and future proofed so hard for them to hit the first year launch window.

cakely

I think i want to get this but I need to know. Is it a first person shooter/view game like call of duty but in VR? I'm not asking about the shooting, im using it as an example. Does it have full movement and controls like cod.

Someone can correct me here, but as far as I know, the movement is limited to strafing forward, backward and side to side. Your aim / view is controlled completely by looking around with the headset, and the action takes place in front of you.

MattAces

Someone can correct me here, but as far as I know, the movement is limited to strafing forward, backward and side to side. Your aim / view is controlled completely by looking around with the headset, and the action takes place in front of you.

Yes, but you can still control your camera with right stick, action is designed to be in front but occasionally enemies will hop to your left/right or even behind (sometimes).

The Aim controller should provide both a similar and different experience to say a COD given the special controller.

Otherwise, we won't know this info until reviews hit and unfortunately I bet it will be hard to find an initial review that describes the experience in detail with a traditional PS4 controller.

I still don't get why we can't get a basic FAQ from the developer concerning how the game plays (movement/aiming, etc) with a PS4 DualShock.

MattAces

The Aim controller should provide both a similar and different experience to say a COD given the special controller.

Otherwise, we won't know this info until reviews hit and unfortunately I bet it will be hard to find an initial review that describes the experience in detail with a traditional PS4 controller.

I still don't get why we can't get a basic FAQ from the developer concerning how the game plays (movement/aiming, etc) with a PS4 DualShock.

I believe there was a post in reddit talking about DS4. Turns out using your DS4 lightbar as the gun is the only option, you will be looking down sight through your DS4 too and control camera with right stick, so no headtracking for gun (RE7 style). Unless that guy didn't go into the option to check or whatever, that's what we know so far. Kind of understandable considering they want to avoid using a crosshair/reticle in game, unlike RE7.

Just got back from Gamestop and the guy was able to call in a controller bundle from another store for me. Can't wait to play this tomorrow

iratA

If the shooting feels solid, i.e accurate and rewarding, its going to be something special. Rush Of Blood was so amazing with a move controller in each hand, can't wait to hold something that feels much closer to an actual gun, with a proper trigger. The 360 degree VR visuals will do the rest!

Also I love being IN Sci-fi worlds, 'Loading Human' although short, gave me a brief taste of that in VR and as a Sci-fi nut, its glorious.

Top Bottom