• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing Neo out this week (still a December release)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You can't take it away from me!

/holds tight onto his copy of the video

How much is this going to cost me?

Also, do I need some kind of Nintendo account or something to buy this from the Nintendo digital store, whatever it's called? I have literally zero experience with the Nintendo online infrastructure.

Looking at the trailer, I'm not even convinced it's 720p. Looks like they're doing something strange with the resolution. It can look extremely chunky though the game is still beautiful.

Also curious about the combing artefacts. Hoping that's just an issue with the video.

The game resolution is rendered at 720p, but the effective motion resolution is a bit less, since the motion blur is rendered at half-res.

Shin'en said:
The motion blur is alpha-blended, weighted 10 tap @ half-res using motion vectors. Looks very smooth and FAST

https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/607830799497490433?s=09

There is less artifacting in the final build though. It's still there, but less pronounced. It might be a filter (to make the setting look holographic/futuristic) or something else, but it doesn't look good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game resolution is rendered at 720p, but the effective motion resolution is a bit less, since the motion blur is rendered at half-res.
Yeah, OK, that would help explain the artefacts. I'm assuming that the combing issues are just related to the video as well.

jariw

How much is this going to cost me?

Also, do I need some kind of Nintendo account or something to buy this from the Nintendo digital store, whatever it's called? I have literally zero experience with the Nintendo online infrastructure.

You need a NNID in the eShop, which you set in your Wii U account. If you have played any game online on the Wii U (MK8, Splatoon, etc), you have a NNID. Consider getting Affordable Space Adventures, Runbow and a couple of others while you're on the eShop.

All I have to say is

screenshot10.jpg

GODDAMN this game looks good!!

I honestly think this game will hold its own in the next-gen racing thread. Can't wait until it comes out!

those are all bullshots. the 720p and jaggies are very apparent in the video, those shots have zero jaggies and are 1080p, its looks good for a 5 man team, but mario kart 8 on wiiu is another level, and comparing it to ps4/xb1 racing games graphically is laughable.

OnPoint

Yeah a mod needs to change the title.

We don't need people getting excited over nothing.

Thankfully December is not that far away.

You need a NNID in the eShop, which you set in your Wii U account. If you have played any game online on the Wii U (MK8, Splatoon, etc), you have a NNID. Consider getting Affordable Space Adventures, Runbow and a couple of others while you're on the eShop.

Thanks for the info. I think my girlfriend set up the U since I pretty much bought it for her. Not sure if she set up a NNID... I'll look into it.

those are all bullshots. the 720p and jaggies are very apparent in the video, those shots have zero jaggies and are 1080p, its looks good for a 5 man team, but mario kart 8 on wiiu is another level, and comparing it to ps4/xb1 racing games graphically is laughable.

Calm down. My statements are not based solely on these screenshots. Shin'en has shared lots of info on the tech going into the game.

FAST Racing Neo is sporting

- Physically-based Rendering
- SSAO @ 60fps (technically demanding on virtually any GPU)
- Volumetric Lighting
- 8k resolution soft shadows
- complete HDR pipeline
- High quality motion blur and crepuscular rays
- More than 10,000 draw calls
- Atmospheric Scattering
- Dynamic weather

Clearly, a boost in image quality is not the only reason that this game looks good. You can laugh all you want, but FRN is a technically impressive game. Keep in mind that just because a game is on a powerful machine, it doesn't mean that said game will take advantage of all of that power. Many 'next-gen' games are worlds apart in terms of graphics, even on the same console!

Whether you like it or not, when FRN is released, its graphics will be compared to other racing games on the market, and I think it'll do just fine in those comparisons.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Calm down. My statements are not based solely on these screenshots. Shin'en has shared lots of info on the tech going into the game.

- Volumetric Lighting
- complete HDR pipeline
- Atmospheric Scattering
- Dynamic weather

Clearly, a boost in image quality is not the only reason that this game looks good. You can laugh all you want, but FRN is a technically impressive game. Keep in mind that just because a game is on a powerful machine, it doesn't mean that said game will take advantage of all of that power. Many 'next-gen' games are worlds apart in terms of graphics, even on the same console!

Whether you like it or not, when FRN is released, its graphics will be compared to other racing games on the market, and I think it'll do just fine in those comparisons.

It's ninjablade, never respond seriously to hm

- Volumetric Lighting
- complete HDR pipeline
- Atmospheric Scattering
- Dynamic weather

"Red Dead Redemption looks better" - ninjablade

Not yet, but if you take past Shin'en games as a reference, it'll be around $10-15.

I'm going to guess it'll cost $19.99. They've been working on this game for an extremely long time. It's certainly possible it'll end up being cheaper but I think people should prepare for a $20 price point.

Roo

I'm going to guess it'll cost $19.99. They've been working on this game for an extremely long time. It's certainly possible it'll end up being cheaper but I think people should prepare for a $20 price point.
Yeah, the game seems to be rather ambitious so $20 It's a fair price.
Either way, my eShop wallet is ready!

AdanVC

- Volumetric Lighting
- complete HDR pipeline
- Atmospheric Scattering
- Dynamic weather

This is freaking impressive! This game is going to be a tech showcase of what Wii U could truly make when you take the time to explode all of it's capabilities. Ninjablade is going to be jelly.

Exile20

Oh you are back. The game is technically a great game plus it is 60fps.

Everyone that anticipates the release, know what captain obvious pointed out. Technically though, it's on another level compared to MK8, there's no denying that both will visually pleasing games. Unless you wear hater shades.

jax

Banned
FAST Racing Neo

What the hell, Nintendo?

Anyway, probably a day one purchase for me. Wish it had more Falcon though.

Schnozberry

FAST Racing Neo

What the hell, Nintendo?

Anyway, probably a day one purchase for me. Wish it had more Falcon though.

I'm glad it doesn't carry the F-Zero name. Now we can enjoy it for what it is without it being crushed under the weight of millions of fanboy dreams.

- Volumetric Lighting
- complete HDR pipeline
- Atmospheric Scattering
- Dynamic weather

And made by five people just a span of two years while working on other games. Whenever I see a third party port on the Wii u, I just look at Shinen's tweet on how they are able to fit 4-8k textures in the Edram while Ubisotf act like their big Wii u supporter and shake my head.

jariw

Yes, it can't really be compared to their other Wii U games. Art of Balance was a side project where they did a HD-enhanced version of older game versions. Nano Assault Neo was a more like a small test game for the Wii U technology.

It's probably the Wii U indie with the most man years put into it.

- Volumetric Lighting
- complete HDR pipeline
- Atmospheric Scattering
- Dynamic weather

dude i watched the videos, the tracks are barren and low poly, the rocks for example remind me of dreamcast game, 2d trees, lighting looks static, car models are low poly and don't do proper reflections, or even react to lighting/no shadows, game has hardly anything going on, and top it off it its 720p and looks like it has no AA, lastgen racing games look more impressive, i don't think anybody would seriously compare it to ps4/xb1 best looking racing games.

the game is technically great for a 5 man team on wii u hardware.

Exile20

dude i watched the videos, the tracks are barren and low poly, the rocks for example remind me of dreamcast game, 2d trees, lighting looks static, car models are low poly and don't do proper reflections, or even react to lighting/no shadows, game has hardly anything going on, and top it off it its 720p and looks like it has no AA, lastgen racing games look more impressive, i don't think anybody would seriously compare it to ps4/xb1 best looking racing games.

the game is technically great for a 5 man team on wii u hardware.

Driveclub and Forza horizons 2 are 30fps with HUGE teams.

69wpm

Guys – ignore button; ignore button – meet the community.

I've made the introduction, you take care of the rest.

For Pete's sake, stop quoting him so I don't need to see his delusional thoughts.

I'm curious if the 4 player split screen works the same as in MK8.

69wpm

It's with the three- and four-player modes that things become even more fascinating. At first glance the four-player split-screen mode appears to operate at 30fps, but if you look closer you'll notice something interesting: the HUD updates at 60Hz. Digging deeper we were able to determine that the complete image is still updated 60 times per second with the top and bottom sections refreshing on alternative frames. This effectively means that each portion of the screen corresponds to either odd or even frames, producing an effective 30fps as a result.

Read more about it at eurogamer.net.

"This game is alright for looking like gold while being made with 4 sharpened sticks, 3 sponges and a belt buckle.

But I think garbage looks better."

That's how he sounds to me.

Top Bottom