• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast Racing Neo Review Thread

That brutal difficulty sounds like a turn off for me but for 15 dollars and being able to play online with both friends and strangers, it still sounds like I'd enjoy it.

Mensrea

Looks great. Looking forward to play when I get some time.

Nintendo should just purchase the company, and have them make F-Zero. They seem suited to it, but that just makes too much sense I guess.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
After watching the GameXplain review, it seems like there is a mode that actually makes this F-Zero with the boosting and shielding duality. Goddammit Nintendo.

jwillenn

My question (not that I won't find out for myself Thursday morning anyway) is about the color mechanic. Is there some kind of recovery time associated with that, or can you swap in and out as quickly as you could in say Ikaruga?

fernoca

Nintendo should just purchase the company, and have them make F-Zero. They seem suited to it, but that just makes too much sense I guess.
As said already over the years...
-They're only 5 people
-They don't want to be bought
-They enjoy their freedom
-They like working on their own schedule

So..nope, it doesn't make sense for them at least.

Who knows if things might change, but people keep saying the same "Nintendo should buy them" as if Shin'en is looking for someone to purchase them.

And again, people need to stop comparing FAST to F-Zero. It will only lead to disappointment and some reviews already deducted points because of not playing like F-Zero.

My question (not that I won't find out for myself Thursday morning anyway) is about the color mechanic. Is there some kind of recovery time associated with that, or can you swap in and out as quickly as you could in say Ikaruga?
Yeah. Heck since the first game I always described this as "mixed with Ikaruga", in the first it was black and white too.

NateDrake

You swap instantly. No recover time.

Any first person mode footage? How would/does the color shifting work there?
No first-person view. Two viewing types: the standard one you have seen and a much closer almost directly behind the craft type of view. The side boost bar changes colors to reflect your color shift.

I'll capture a few clips of Hypersonic speed tonight and post links here once they are ready to go.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
GameXplain's review said basically what I expected after watching some clips. I really want to support this game, but the early difficulty is a turn-off. Since I don't think I'd ever really play in multiplayer, I'll have to decide if the game is worth it for me.

SephLuis

Yeah, I was surprised how much problems I was having with the easier difficulty right off the bat. I am starting to think this is a case of some seriously bad rubber banding though.

Other ships fly past me quite quickly and soon I am catching up to them as if they are almost stopped. Even when using boost, it's difficult to believe you made a difference because you get to the vehicle that was in your front while the one in the back is glued to you.

I would be more sure of that if I could see AI lap times. In my first races, but lap times were getting better each lap and even then I was winning by a small difference.

They probably enjoy the freedom to tackle whatever genre they want. Racing, platforming, mini-golf, shooter, puzzle... It must be better than being bought to make the game Nintendo wants.

Unicorn

Just a reminder y'all that F-ZERO GX got slammed for a steep difficulty curve. And, we all know where that franchise is now....

Lebneney

Banned
Just watched some gameplay. Wow. I'm blown away... this might be the game that ultimately pushes me over the edge to buy a Wii U (unless the NX supports this title, then I'll wait... indefinitely).

Datschge

Know what is interesting to me... I wonder what their budget form making this game was. Lets say Nintendo blessed them with 5 million how much more can they do?
Nothing more. Shin'en at its core is three people, it's not the money that's limiting them but the time they can spend the limited manpower on it and multiply it through clever usage of technology. FAST NEO by all indications had with 3 years the longest development time of all their games up to now, that how they got there.

The GameXplain review is amusing. He complains about the difficulty spike early on and also that many won't even be able to unlock the faster speeds because of it. Well, logic would tell you that those modes will be even more difficult so not sure why he would want that if he has trouble with the regular races. Not too fond of this reviewer to begin with but maybe he was the only one of the three brave enough to take on this seemingly hardcore game. Besides that, his review wasn't terrible though ultimately predictable. I'd love to find one reviewer that doesn't mention F-Zero or barely mentions it, I'd shake that person's hand.

SephLuis

The GameXplain review is amusing. He complains about the difficulty spike early on and also that many won't even be able to unlock the faster speeds because of it. Well, logic would tell you that those modes will be even more difficult so not sure why he would want that if he has trouble with the regular races. Not too fond of this reviewer to begin with but maybe he was the only one of the three brave enough to take on this seemingly hardcore game. Besides that, his review wasn't terrible though ultimately predictable. I'd love to find one reviewer that doesn't mention F-Zero or barely mentions it, I'd shake that person's hand.

A lot of people will buy this because it's the closest to a modern F-Zero or a new Wipeout game, even if this has it's own identity.

I also have to agree with the early difficulty spike. Since the game has no tutorials or an actually easy mode, you're effectively throwing people into the fire right off the bat. Some will persist, but I wouldn't find it odd if many ended up dropping it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
yawn, here we go again
Nintendo mostly advertised subsonic mode in the stuff they released, and subsonic IS slow as fuck

Slow as fuck, lol. Yeah, it's practically never leaving the grid. I bet you get your ass kicked on the first races on subsonic. but you will never admit it, like you didn't admit here that you were just plain wrong with your rushed opinion.

I'm totally fine with hard modes and find it great that this game appeals to hardcore players, but still, a reasonable difficulty curve leading up to the hardest modes is synonymous with good game design in my book.

Honestly, I'm not great at racing games, but if the game gradually takes me to the hardest modes, I feel constantly challenged without ever feeling annoyed and end up becoming a pretty good player. That's good game design.

I'm totally fine with hard modes and find it great that this game appeals to hardcore players, but still, a reasonable difficulty curve leading up to the hardest modes is synonymous with good game design in my book.

Honestly, I'm not great at racing games, but if the game gradually takes me to the hardest modes, I feel constantly challenged without ever feeling annoyed and end up becoming a pretty good player. That's good game design.

I guess my expectations are in check.

F-Zero GX was too hardcore for me.

All I want to do in this game is unlock every track.

I see myself only playing on Subsonic.

yawn, here we go again
Nintendo mostly advertised subsonic mode in the stuff they released, and subsonic IS slow as fuck

For the slowest speed, that is not slow.

It's actually fairly fast, especially with all the boost pads and orbs.

Be careful what you wish for(that is, if you even get the game), the later modes might put a hurting on even a speed demon like yourself.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think that any indie game was available at midnight. The best bet is tomorrow when the eshop refreshes.

"It's the Final Lap!" lol, if he only said "yeah" at the beginning of that sentence it would have bee a straight rip from F-Zero GX. I'm loving what they have been able to do with this game on Wii U.

Oh, it doesn't matter too much but the GameXplain dude said that there is rubberbanding that never helps YOU.

I found this to be false by watching one of the videos.

The player was behind a bit and caught up fairly fast to those noticeably ahead of them.

SephLuis

Oh, it doesn't matter too much but the GameXplain dude said that there is rubberbanding that never helps YOU.

I found this to be false by watching one of the videos.

The player was behind a bit and caught up fairly fast to those noticeably ahead of them.

I just think the rubberbanding in this game is extremely annoying. It isn't good when you make a perfect lap and then your opponent passes you like a rocket. Then, 10 seconds later you pass him as if you were racing a turtle.

Especially bad when it happens near the end of the race.

I just think the rubberbanding in this game is extremely annoying. It isn't good when you make a perfect lap and then your opponent passes you like a rocket. Then, 10 seconds later you pass him as if you were racing a turtle.

Especially bad when it happens near the end of the race.

Yeah, it seems to have a good deal of it, just pointing out that he was wrong about it never helping you.

Why do developers have rubberbanding, is this to keep things interesting or some easy way out to code the game???

Top Bottom