• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing Neo (Wii U) : first screenshot

Why is no one discussing this picture? The vegetation and shading look delicious. You can see the moss on the trees in the distance.

FastRacingNeo3.jpg

Why all the focus on just that one segment of the other pictures?

If those leaves and branches react to racers speeding by, that would be amazing. Like the 8k and 4k textures at work, I can't wait to see the lighting at work.

OnPoint

Uh this looks pretty darn good so far. I wish they'd show off some gameplay, but this will more than likely be a gorgeous game. Shin'en games almost always are.

radiant_ch

One more!

FastRacingNeo2.jpg

Also new infos throughout a new Interview:

5) What can you telle us about FAST Racing Neo and what we can expect from the title in terms of evolution of gameplay?

ML: First of all we analyzed what people liked and disliked in the original Wii game. For instance, most people enjoyed the unique phase switching gameplay, because it’s something you have in no other racing game.

So we build on that but tried to make it more streamlined and more fun to use. Something most people disliked was the brutal difficulty in higher leagues, because the Ai was simply too perfect. We made sure that the Ai behaves more ‘human’ this time.

batbeg

It's honestly looking better than I thought it would. What these guys get done with the few people and the amount of shit they're doing is just frankly phenomenal. Hope the game turns out to be fun.

Wow, well above, what I imagined. Project Cars should look amazing. Anyone else get the feeling Nintendo was a little conservative in their efforts when it comes to polygon budgets and MK8.

69wpm

The lightning in the 3rd screenshots reminds me of MK8. Very cool what a handful of people can do. Can't wait to see this beauty in action.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nano Assault was running 1080p 60 FPS initially in early trailers and interviews. They intentionally lowered it because it had no noticeable impact on graphics as much as adding more postfx. They considered 1080p 60 FPS a waste of resources.

good, let's see what they will be able to achieve this time.

Why is no one discussing this picture? The vegetation and shading look delicious. You can see the moss on the trees in the distance.

FastRacingNeo3.jpg

Why all the focus on just that one segment of the other pictures?

because it is a new screen, calm down :p
I like the visual. But I was already confident about this. I'd like to see a video btw

One more!

FastRacingNeo2.jpg

good info about the more streamlined way of playing with the switching mechanic. can't wait for the trailer really

Kouriozan

5) What can you telle us about FAST Racing Neo and what we can expect from the title in terms of evolution of gameplay?

ML: First of all we analyzed what people liked and disliked in the original Wii game. For instance, most people enjoyed the unique phase switching gameplay, because it’s something you have in no other racing game.

So we build on that but tried to make it more streamlined and more fun to use. Something most people disliked was the brutal difficulty in higher leagues, because the Ai was simply too perfect. We made sure that the Ai behaves more ‘human’ this time.
Sounds good!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the best thing is not the visual, btw. but the interview about the gameplay mechanics. no perfect AI and a more streamlined switching system are gret, looking back at Fast on Wii.

OnPoint

It's like none of you ever followed a Shin'en game before release in the past.

Lemme give you the basic formula for how this works.

1. They announce the title
a. People get antsy as heck waiting to see it
b. Everyone talks about how they are technical masterminds
ex. "Did you see FAST on the Wii? That was insane!"​
2. Several months to a year later, they release screens
- (where we are now)
a. Many comments are made about how it looks better than the expected
b. People are surprised X system (Wii U in this case) is capable of this
c. Others are upset there's no video footage or release date​
3. A couple months later we get a release date and video
a. People comment on how good it looks, and how they can't believe it's running on X system
b. Someone says it doesn't look as good as other genre entries
c. Someone doesn't understand why it took so long​
4. Release happens
a. Some people love it
b. Some people are underwhelmed
c. Everyone is impressed with the engineering of the graphics​

Taker666

Boo..I hate most people then ....as the Black/White switching annoyed the hell out of me. I was really hoping that would be dumped entirely (or at least removed with an option). I just wanted an F-Zero rip-off.

cacildo

It's like none of you ever followed a Shin'en game before release in the past.

Lemme give you the basic formula for how this works.

1. They announce the title
a. People get antsy as heck waiting to see it
b. Everyone talks about how they are technical masterminds
ex. "Did you see FAST on the Wii? That was insane!"​
2. Several months to a year later, they release screens
- (where we are now)
a. Many comments are made about how it looks better than the expected
b. People are surprised X system (Wii U in this case) is capable of this
c. Others are upset there's no video footage or release date​
3. A couple months later we get a release date and video
a. People comment on how good it looks, and how they can't believe it's running on X system
b. Someone says it doesn't look as good as other genre entries
c. Someone doesn't understand why it took so long​
4. Release happens
a. Some people love it
b. Some people are underwhelmed
c. Everyone is impressed with the engineering of the graphics​

The worst part of this whole scheme is: it seems it will take forever (few months) to release date

OnPoint

This list could be applied to any modern game. That won't stop the speculation though. Nothing ever does.

Not really. Other games tend to vary greatly from that list. (i.e. Watchdogs and being impressed with it technically after launch? There was huge variance in the crowd). What I wrote is based on what I've seen from how NeoGAF responds to how this company releases info on their games for years now.

Can't wait to see a vid, screens look great. Some tiling textures, but you won't be noticing that in a racing game. Love the aesthetics and the lighting... gorgeous.

Coda

This game looks beautiful so far. It's a teaser guys, let's wait for some real footage to make judgements.

Boo..I hate most people then ....as the Black/White switching annoyed the hell out of me. I was really hoping that would be dumped entirely (or at least removed with an option). I just wanted an F-Zero rip-off.

I didn't hate the switching. I hated the collecting tokens to enable switching. Because when you missed some of those you couldn't use the optimal route on a course or catch up.

Celine

I didn't hate the switching. I hated the collecting tokens to enable switching. Because when you missed some of those you couldn't use the optimal route on a course or catch up.
That was my problem too.
Collecting the orbs became too important for the overall economy of the game.
What I only want from this kind of games is racing as fast as I can.

tronic307

This looks great, love the aesthetic. I could be in the minority here, but I think the tiled textures and jaggies give it an arcade flair.

krizzx

"Shinen pls" should have tipped you off about the tone of my post. Guess not. Flame on.
because it is a new screen, calm down :p

??? Why would I not be calm? I was just asking a question. No need to get all defensive.

One more!

FastRacingNeo2.jpg

Such high quality. This is what I been hoping would be the norm for graphics on the Wii U, but so few devs are willing to put in the effort. It was the same scenario for the Wii now that I recall. This is what I expect from current gen systems.

Roo

The lightning in the 3rd screenshots reminds me of MK8. Very cool what a handful of people can do. Can't wait to see this beauty in action.

Thank God I'm not the only one getting MK8 vibes from that screenshot.
Considering the size of the team and their budget, this is amazing.
Can't wait to see it in action.

Looks pretty good. Any one know if the original is available on the Japanese Wii shop? Might pick it up and try it out before this one drops.

69wpm

Post processing effects used:

Cinematic Tonemapping, Motionblur, SSAO, HDR Bloom, Atmospheric Scattering, Godrays etc

Atmospheric Scattering is interesting. Even thoug it's something so natural looking, it's also very demanding as far as I know. There are entire books about that topic, not only for game programming, but also painting.

ugoo18

Post processing effects used:

Atmospheric Scattering is interesting. Even thoug it's something so natural looking, it's also very demanding as far as I know. There are entire books about that topic, not only for game programming, but also painting.

Where did this info come from?

Fredrik

No way this will run 60fps on WiiU. They must've gone with 30fps instead during the delay to upgrade the graphics since 30fps seems to he okay for most arcaderacing fans this gen.

rjc571

Banned
No way this will run 60fps on WiiU. They must've gone with 30fps instead during the delay to upgrade the graphics since 30fps seems to he okay for most arcaderacing fans this gen.

I'll eat my foot if this runs at 30 fps on Wii U. (And then never buy a game from Shin'en again.) Shin'en has always been a staunch proponent of 60 fps; no way would they pander to the 30 fps peanut gallery for a high speed racing game.

Anything under 60fps is not arcade racing. These so-called fans need to get their priorities in check.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Wat. The graphics are in no way mindblowing enough to warrant a drop to 30 FPS.

Is everyone seeing the same screenshots I am? Simple geometry, upscaled, jaggies out the ass? I mean, it has to be 60.

Top Bottom