• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast RMX free update is out now on Switch

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nintendo Life

First up we have six new tracks and two new cups:

Titanium Cup

Tepaneca Haze
Chuoku Habitat
Ice Coast

Iridium Cup

Cameron Raceway
Sunahara Valley
Scorpio Mine

Here are some more improvements which we can expect to see also:

The CPU-driver AI has been improved
A hang on the loading screen that happened when your Switch wasn't powered down for a month has been resolved
Friend Online plays are now shown in yours
Switch console 'Friend Activity log'

Update achieved over at casa de Vanilla

img_20170913_210700rhsja.jpg

BizzyBum

Pretty cool they are still updating it.

It was definitely a great launch title for the Switch, anyone who missed it and even remotely likes these types of arcade racers needs to purchase it.

basik

I want to play this game with all the boosts being the same color. I dont want to play the color switching boost game.

It seems like I can make out far into the distance easier for some reason.

I don't see anything about that in the patch notes but I'll take it! 🙃

BizzyBum

The AI can be cheap but one thing that works amazingly well is air boosting. That shit will save your ass every time.

Stopdoor

So I played these tracks and I'm not that impressed really, they're mostly remixes of existing tracks with a large focus on hazards, like those stupid spinning fans and fire blasts from the ground in the middle of the track. Nothing really mind blowing from these.

I played them on Hypersonic and the game kicked my butt, so the AI definitely isn't any easier there, haha, but maybe Subsonic is better.

To be honest I feel like any AI changes will just be feel like placebo. Personally I found them manageable on most courses and lower difficulties. These new courses are just extra difficult, which I feel like will annoy all the people clamouring for easier AI haha.

Stopdoor

Free DLC, this is the way it should be done, good job!

Wow, other developers would charge for this.

To be honest guys, I don't want to doubt the work that went into this, but these levels very much feel like minor hard-mode remixes in a game already stuffed with semi-indistinguishable tracks.

Feels more like an attempt to drum up excitement from a "FREE!" patch than a real labour of love, but I'm being extra cynical.

Edit: I did just read the update on Nintendo Life, at least they're honest it's a "Remix" pack.

BizzyBum

Yeah, nothing really amazing about the tracks. They're just remixes though and they look pretty. I just did them in Subsonic TT and they were piss easy, though. Would have liked more challenging tracks.

NimbusD

Nice new tracks, cant tell about the AI but they doint seem to catch up quite as easily but Ill have to play more to see.

Datschge

We're talking about rubber band AI here. The AI was already ridiculously good.
The tricky part about AI programming for games is that it's very easy to make them performing technically perfect which usually appears like cheating, while making them make mistakes that seem natural while perfectly balancing difficulty is hard to achieve.

WillyFive

Do a lot of people leave their Switch on for a month+ straight?

It's intentionally difficult and cumbersome to turn off the Switch (same for the PS4); the vast majority of people would simply let it sleep, which means it will stay on for months.

Been playing it more and the rubber banding is still there and rather strong, you can be on a boost pad and yet the cpu will blitz you down a straight because the catch up is strong, what seems to happen though is half way into the final lap they either stop boosting as much or the rubber band drops off a ton to stop overtakes on the final straight, but only on the final lap.

It's still poor AI and frustrating, first place can still be miles ahead with no chance to catch up if it feels like it.

Also returning to this game I wish the FOV was not so wide when you boost on the higher cups, its really hard to tell where things are and you end up wall riding like it's gran turismo.

(my switch lives in standby mode for weeks before I reboot it, it's not silly when the design of the switch is to live in the dock sleeping.)

GWX

This game is so stupid! AI is still rubberband-y as all hell on freaking subsonic, even with the arrival of the latest update. Wish I could get a refund or something 😔.

This game is so stupid! AI is still rubberband-y as all hell on freaking subsonic, even with the arrival of the latest update. Wish I could get a refund or something ��.

There's always multiplayer both local and online if you want a more fair experience.

This game is so stupid! AI is still rubberband-y as all hell on freaking subsonic, even with the arrival of the latest update. Wish I could get a refund or something 😔.
Man that’s a shame to hear

The AI in this game is so abysmal that it really drags down an otherwise brilliant game

Axass

The tracks from the new cups are just stitched together from previous ones, they feel too samey IMO. Still it's free so...

Top Bottom