• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 3DS spin-off coming in NA; called Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir;

Kifimbo

PR. Lock if old.

REDMOND, Wash., Jan 17, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Hand-held gaming fans with a taste for scary stories and paranormal activity have something special to look forward to this year. Nintendo of America has confirmed plans to launch Spirit Camera(TM): The Cursed Memoir, an immersive, horror-themed game developed exclusively for the portable Nintendo 3DS(TM) system, across North America on -- when else? -- Friday, April 13. The game uses the built-in camera functions and augmented-reality features of Nintendo 3DS to enhance a sinister, spellbinding storyline, incorporating players' own pictures and surroundings to create a personalized 3D horror experience.

Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir introduces a mysterious girl named Maya who has been hiding in the shadows of an old house. Players must help Maya break free from a terrifying curse by aiding her escape from the clutches of a malevolent woman in black. By using the Nintendo 3DS system's built-in camera, players can view Maya in their own surroundings as the game's eerie events unfold.

Included with the game is a 16-page AR Book, known as the "diary of faces" in the game's Story Mode, which serves as a gateway into this haunting experience. As players view the book's images through the lenses of the Nintendo 3DS camera, they enter its pages using augmented reality. At times, pages will come to life in the form of movies, revealing past events that offer insights into the mysteries surrounding the diary. In other moments, characters will emerge from the pages into the player's world via augmented reality in the form of evil spirits that attack from all directions.

"Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir will give Nintendo 3DS owners an extraordinary new way to enjoy the system's augmented-reality features and 3D capabilities," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Everywhere they go, they'll be able to transform their real-world surroundings into a chilling hand-held adventure."

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds .

For more information about Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir, visit http://spiritcamera.nintendo.com .

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm a bit surprised that this is being localized. I'm curious who they think the target audience is. The press release does not mention its heritage or connection to the Fatal Frame series, so clearly they don't view it as significantly connected.

I'm a bit surprised that this is being localized. I'm curious who they think the target audience is. The press release does not mention its heritage or connection to the Fatal Frame series, so clearly they don't view it as significantly connected.

Probably the people that buy Resident Evil. Yes, I know, RE isn't exactly horror, but that is likely their thought.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, wow. That was unexpected.

Is this the beginning of a new era for NoA?

Maybe we'll even see the new Fatal Frame moved to Wii U and brought over...

Bullza2o

Also, first Nintendo game to release on a Friday?
It's nice that they are doing that little marketing gimmick.
Kid Icarus is on March 23, a Friday.

Finally something good gets localized quite fast! This is really interesting. I might pick this up for my birthday ~2 weeks later.

gogojira

Well, that's surprising. Now how about a little game called The Last Story and another called Pandora's Tower. DO IT NINTENDO.

is Fatal Frame now owned by Nintendo?

as in, there would be zero chance of the series getting a PSN release as part of the PS2 classics line?

I might be interested in this title, but I'd rather have a straight up survival horror game to play.

I don't think it is that connected to mainline FF, is it? Even the Japanese release is "Shinrei Camera: Tsuiteru Techou" and not "Zero: Tsuiteru Techou". Not to mention that I doubt the name "Fatal Frame" (or "Project Zero") has much resonance anymore, given that the last release over here was nearly 7 years ago and it was a niche even then.

There's no information in this link.

Oh, God - you clicked it! YOU CLICKED IT! You now have seven days to live...

is Fatal Frame now owned by Nintendo?

as in, there would be zero chance of the series getting a PSN release as part of the PS2 classics line?

Nintendo owns Fatal Frame 4, at the very least, and has been funding the development of the series for a while.
So exclusivity at the moment is given.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nintendo of America...localising...a horror game? I thought Eternal Darkness was a one-off.

I'm not terribly interested in this game, even though I would consider buying it if they price it right (which I doubt). But this at least bodes well for other localizations.

...and re: the surprise at NoA localising this. This is exactly the time in the system's lifespan that I'd expect them to be localising anything and everything. They need to sustain interest this early on, and they are still largely relying on a more core, gamer audience rather than the huge mainstream audience that adopted the DS over the last few years.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if NoA localise a good few unusual titles over the next year or two, but back off again later in the 3DS's life.

Erethian

I don't think it is that connected to mainline FF, is it? Even the Japanese release is "Shinrei Camera: Tsuiteru Techou" and not "Zero: Tsuiteru Techou". Not to mention that I doubt the name "Fatal Frame" (or "Project Zero") has much resonance anymore, given that the last release over here was nearly 7 years ago and it was a niche even then.

If I recall correctly, Fatal Frame sales in the US went swiftly downhill after 2. And the series peak was, let's say, relative.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If I recall correctly, Fatal Frame sales in the US went swiftly downhill after 2. And the series peak was, let's say, relative.

What I have from January 2008, numbers posted by NPD subscriber on CheapAssGamer.com forums in public:
Fatal Frame - 57,000
Fatal Frame 2 - 65,000
Fatal Frame 3 - 39,000

ym4KahcAUvY-44TTRM_xQdRuLHUVCIOI.jpg

-ZEgmip6UPsl2VA0-LdFtPEmmHWhP-p-.jpg
LnNMuK4AjZC7PUWDEVKCtpCx8dvOMRlu.jpg

vG4cC990CdfEIpmEIEODOLtYdVMPtK5x.jpg
EQoQUj9w9apWE9T0J0BogXPxwK4qYUpU.jpg

Yep. Stump's just posted the figures, and I doubt they grew much over the years since. It's another point in favour of changing to something like "Spirit Camera", I suppose.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering in Japan it is at 3800 Yen, budget price, I hope it's 29.99 $ / Euros here.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Might become rare with the notebook gimmick and obvious niche nature, no? I'd buy.

Intriguing premise and since I haven't even used the AR feature yet, this game sounds like the perfect opportunity to finally use it

Watch it easily outselling Xenoblade.

Orgen

The exact opposite, actually. Considering Fatal Frame 4 never made it here, no one expected an AR-based spin-off to ever see the light of day in the US/Euro.

Talk for yourself here, the game coming to the West has been hinted before.

And FF4 was coming too but we all know how it ended.

Watch it easily outselling Xenoblade.

It helps that it's not exclusive to one retail chain (and two online stores), and that NOA will probably make something vaguely resembling an actual attempt to market it.

But yeah, pleasantly surprised that this is being localized at all. Hopefully, it bodes well for other riskier 3DS/Wii U localizations from NOA, at least early on.

Dascu

Talk for yourself here, the game coming to the West has been hinted before.

And FF4 was coming too but we all know how it ended.

You're the same one who said Pokemon Black & White 2 is coming to DS, right? What kind of sources do you have for this stuff?

Top Bottom