• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water: eShop Exclusive in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/4qsfAA8PLHOmOdSgVaRPtG6GMX3OlhCr

Right, so Nintendo just updated its North American site to add a good number of the games they showcased at E3 including Fatal Frame V here. What is interesting is that instead of getting some sort of boxart, even placeholder boxart, the game has a full formed eShop symbol on the side there which probably means Maiden of Black Water is going to be a digital release only and I certainly can see that happening.

Jawmuncher

Please No. I'll even take GameStop exclusive release over this. Was really wanting this on my shelf.

Only way I'll even cut some slack is if the price is lowered to accommodate digital only.

Dammit Nintendo if you do all these eshop exclusives make the hard drive on your systems actually able to hold more than two games. I want this game so much I'll buy it anyways though.

Sendou

That or GameSpot exclusive. People will give them shit anyway even if the alternative was no release at all.

Sendou

Still wouldn't explain why NoA is not aknowleding the very existence of D3rd, though. They at least talked about Fatal Frame during E3...

Probably because they played it and realize it's not a good game. Fatal Frame might not sell but if they still think it's a good game then makes sense to give it spotlight.

I'm just glad I'm getting the game. I said numerous times I'd take eshop only with no dub if it meant getting the game. I'm not going back on that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I get that this sucks. I always by physical as well.

But would you really pass on a game if it was digital only? Seems rash.

I'm fine with this if it means Nintendo can release this without shouldering a lot of risk, I'm guessing this decision (if true) was made due to sales projections. If it's digital-only in Europe I'll still buy it, but it will be disappointing, as this is the sort of game I do want on my shelf. I even bought Splatoon as a disc for the same reason, despite having Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as digital downloads.

Still, it's sad to see NoA take a conservative approach again, it reminds me very much of the Xenoblade/The Last Story situation.

Has this scenario described in the OP ever happened with any "major" release on the wii u?

Don't think so. I seem to remember F1 Race Stars' belated release going Digital Only (albeit at a reduced price) and Namco released those One Piece games digital-only in either North America or Europe. Forgot which region.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I get that this sucks. I always by physical as well.

But would you really pass on a game if it was digital only? Seems rash.
Yeah, I would. Especially on a Nintendo system.

I'll just buy a European copy locally and pick-up a cheap Euro Wii U someday when it's discontinued.

Well, that means no GCU discount which is sad. I've still got 400 GB free on my hard drive though, so no problem with digital games in theory.

They should price it at $50 though instead of $60 if it's eshop only and no dub.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Has this scenario described in the OP ever happened with any "major" release on the wii u?

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/3KkBIa3kU0pIo8dU2ixVjq32f2t3Txvf

One Piece: Unlimited World Red
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dwMBvnqgelPQDaSUpy0_whwL_txaYElU

Both are full fledged games that saw retail releases elsewhere in the world and only got a digital release here. Also, note that both games sport that square design for their game symbols that all eShop releases have.

Taker666

If Nintendo don't want to release it at retail, I don't know why they don't just do a limited Special Edition print run and just put it on their own website for a limited time before launch (just make enough copies to cover those pre-orders).

DrWong

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nintendo doesn't publish these games.

Not the important part but if you want a Nintendo example Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars got a boxed release in Europe and a full on disc release in Japan while in North America all we got was the eShop.

Ridley327

Not the important part but if you want a Nintendo example Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars got a boxed release in Europe and a full on disc release in Japan while in North America all we got was the eShop.

Forgot about that one! That makes two retail balls dropped by NoA this year already.

Esque7

It's a niche series in a niche genre for a niche console. Nintendo would be kind of stupid to release it at retail.

emb

Well. So much for looking forward to that.

Still nice that they made the effort to localize it at least. Hopefully we get future entries if they happen.

Somnid

There's such a small market for M-rated titles on Wii U. It's not the AAA game that would get attention, retailers are probably backing off it and a print run is expensive. I'm willing to bet if it's come to this we're probably lucky to get it at all.

do you really want to buy a box with a code in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom