• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

On Drop 6 and loving it so far. Can't say the backtracking bothers me, but 3 is my favourite so I guess it wouldn't. It's handled the same way in that you're going to the same areas but there's always something new happening and some story to uncover.

TheMoon

On Drop 6 and loving it so far. Can't say the backtracking bothers me, but 3 is my favourite so I guess it wouldn't. It's handled the same way in that you're going to the same areas but there's always something new happening and some story to uncover.

So which is it now? Always teh same or something different. It's like nobody can agree on anything with this game.

Controls:
person A = "they're awesome, way better than the Wii controls!"
person B = "they're shit, were much better on Wii!"

Backtracking:
person C = "so annoying, always the same areas again with the same encounters just with different characters"
person D = "no issue, always something new happening and new stuff to uncover"

== I am confused

So which is it now? Always teh same or something different. It's like nobody can agree on anything with this game.

Controls:
person A = "they're awesome, way better than the Wii controls!"
person B = "they're shit, were much better on Wii!"

Backtracking:
person C = "so annoying, always the same areas again with the same encounters just with different characters"
person D = "no issue, always something new happening and new stuff to uncover"

== I am confused

Honestly, even as a big fan of the series since playing 1 back on the PS2, the controls are rather hard to get used to at first, but once you do, the controls really click and the game is fun. In a way, the "clunkiness" keeps the series firmly rooted in the survival horror traditions, part of is just weird design and other parts of it is just intentional, I think. Plus like the guy said, for those of us that liked 1 and 3 the most which had way more backtracking than 2, we enjoy the backtracking. Gives the game a real sense of place and as the game goes along unlocking the screts of the areas and the ghosts, it adds a rather amazing sense of sadness/melancholy to the game that sort of makes things even more creepy as you learn wtf is going on.

me0wish

I just finished the first chapter of FF1, the game is decent I guess but nothing special, does it get better later on?

Sadist

Man, during drop 2...

First you defeat the ghost of the girl you wanted of the mountain and then you have to face that priestess? Damn. She's taking a lot of damage though. How do you beat her anyway? Throwning up an ember really doesn't have an effect...

-shadow-

If you happen to have found it already Film 61 (I believe it's 61), and get a few good Fatal Frames. She was done in about a minute that way.

Though her spell to make your health drain slowly is really mean-spirited.

llehuty

Fiinished drop 2. Game is really creepy. And I'm really liking the confusing and branching map in this section. I'm still not used to the controls, but the game is not that punishing anyway (for now).

ohlawd

tl;dr on dealing with problematic ghosts

stop using weakass film
fatal frame it up or at least take the the time to hit five fragments
upgrade output (damage) and loader (reload speed)
when you get a lens that does a lot of damage like Crush, use it during Fatal Frames

Fiinished drop 2. Game is really creepy. And I'm really liking the confusing and branching map in this section. I'm still not used to the controls, but the game is not that punishing anyway (for now).

This is pretty much my impression so far. Just finished drop 2, and I can only play so much (like every other FF game). So fucking good, they just nail the atmosphere, the story and lore every time.

Controls are definitely giving me some trouble though. I feel like I'm not used to juggling the switching between screens yet, but I'm getting there.

Honestly, even as a big fan of the series since playing 1 back on the PS2, the controls are rather hard to get used to at first, but once you do, the controls really click and the game is fun. In a way, the "clunkiness" keeps the series firmly rooted in the survival horror traditions, part of is just weird design and other parts of it is just intentional, I think. Plus like the guy said, for those of us that liked 1 and 3 the most which had way more backtracking than 2, we enjoy the backtracking. Gives the game a real sense of place and as the game goes along unlocking the screts of the areas and the ghosts, it adds a rather amazing sense of sadness/melancholy to the game that sort of makes things even more creepy as you learn wtf is going on.

Yeah, it might change further into the game but so far the areas I've had to go through more than once have new documents or encounters the second time through.

I think if people liked the previous games they will like this one. It has the same gradual story progression and atmosphere that I love the series for.

Hopefully it keeps that up for the rest of the game.

Man, during drop 2...

First you defeat the ghost of the girl you wanted of the mountain and then you have to face that priestess? Damn. She's taking a lot of damage though. How do you beat her anyway? Throwning up an ember really doesn't have an effect...
I dont think you need to fight her. I was like whatever and ran back to the entrance and chapter ended.

Ouch.

2015-10-31_09-04-40-cqmp7j.png

(Mighty Ape is an online store in New Zealand)

So yeah, drop3 and i already encountered a game breaking glitch prohibiting me from advancing... Rens camera won't materialize an invisible item no matter what. Tried to reload, but always the same shit.

Is there any trick to it or is this just a broken POS and I'm stuck?

Edit: It just randomly worked... reloaded can't get it working. Who tested this shit?

Aren't you supposed to turn the Gamepad in a direction for the item to appear?
Yeah, but it didn't work, the red signal just jittered like it was spazzing out. Got it to work after restarting the console, phew would've soured me on the game for good otherwise.

I mean the game is just gorgeously twisted,
wiiu_screenshot_tv_012ds1g.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bas0n.jpg

Porcile

I don't know, GAF. Its not quite hitting the mark for me just yet. I think Drop 2 dragged on a little bit too long as well which didn't help. Onto Drop 3...

Sadist

I dont think you need to fight her. I was like whatever and ran back to the entrance and chapter ended.
Oh, I did defeat it.

Btw, in drop 2, one mean scare is the part where you
walk casually through the forest and a ghost falls from the cliff right in front of you.

doraemoe

Hey look, I found Snake!
image.php

Guess I'm the minority here, I want the limited edition comes with a key rather than a disc. I like the art book and poster, but not the physical disc.

llehuty

For some reason the gamepad doesn't stream sound during cutscenes. A bummer because I would like to play the game with headphones.

Bl@de

For some reason the gamepad doesn't stream sound during cutscenes. A bummer because I would like to play the game with headphones.

Yep, one of my few complaints. Ingame it works but cutscenes are mute. Maybe it's a bug and will be fixed

Makeda

This is my first Fatal Frame game (always meant to play the ps2 ones but never got around to it) & damn...
Working my way through Drop 2 at the moment with all lights off and I'm on the edge of my seat with tension - I think I need a break :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I played a bit today for the first time, I had fun and started getting absorbed into the game.

Can't wait to play more.

Yeah I had the problem as well, which is a shame as it means that I can't play the game off screen.

Yep, one of my few complaints. Ingame it works but cutscenes are mute. Maybe it's a bug and will be fixed

Yup having the same issue, was wondering if it was widespread. Real shame because I'd like to hear audio during them. At least subtitles work :p.

Game is just getting better and better, and I don't mind the backtracking so far, That's really par for the course with FF games honestly. The story in this game is just crushingly depressing.

How and where do you get outfits?

Darrenf

GameStop Ireland haven't received their shipments yet & I just read Nintendo cut the allocated stock to Spain by 60%. Hope I get my copy.

Sadist

In Drop 4...

You'll receive a pic with a hanging doll...so I make my way through the house and find a garden full of those. Which is creepy btw, but I can't seem to find the right doll. There is white marker telling me that I'm on the right path, but so far no luck with the picking the right one. Does anyone know which doll I have to photograph

Edit: nevermind. Man I really don't like this place lol.

Xenoboy

Okay, I have opened the game case now. There's no going back :p
I hope I'll enjoy this one
and not shit myself.

I like the artbook, what's everyone's opinion on it?

In Drop 4...

You'll receive a pic with a hanging doll...so I make my way through the house and find a garden full of those. Which is creepy btw, but I can't seem to find the right doll. There is white marker telling me that I'm on the right path, but so far no luck with the picking the right one. Does anyone know which doll I have to photograph

Edit: nevermind. Man I really don't like this place lol.

Hot damn I love Drop 4 so far.

Played the demo/trial...it's kind of awful?
The concept is sound, but the controls are really bad.
The gamepad audio thing is very disappointing too.
How are you guys enjoying it?

Shizuka

Playing this for Halloween was great, even though it's not particularly scary. I'll keep going and finish it sometime tomorrow.

Played the demo/trial...it's kind of awful?
The concept is sound, but the controls are really bad.
The gamepad audio thing is very disappointing too.
How are you guys enjoying it?

The controls are kinda "bad on purpose"... Turning around quickly isn't something you're really supposed to do. That being said, easiest way I've found to manuever is to point control stick in the direction you want to go, then press ZL, and it'll center it for you.

And the point of the game is to be scary, which it does. :D

Bl@de

What's bad about the controls? I don't really understand that complaint. Never had problems in close quarters, combat, running through the forest. Typical third person controls like RE4. Everything is just fine and camera first person mode is easy to control with the analog stick (simple shooter mechanics).

I'm in drop 4 so far. Love the game. Makes me feel like it's 2001 or something like that^^

What's bad about the controls? I don't really understand that complaint. Never had problems in close quarters, combat, running through the forest. Typical third person controls like RE4. Everything is just fine and camera first person mode is easy to control with the analog stick (simple shooter mechanics).

I'm in drop 4 so far. Love the game. Makes me feel like it's 2001 or something like that^^

Have you played the other Fatal Frame/PZ games? How is stacking up to the others for you? If you're new to this series, then man you're in for such a treat with the other games in the series.

Playing this for Halloween was great, even though it's not particularly scary. I'll keep going and finish it sometime tomorrow.

Yeah, my feeling is that this is probably the least "scary" game in the series too, maybe because I'm used to the series by now. Regardless though, instead, it's definitely the most disturbing game in the series. I mean, jeez is this game grim. Yeesh. So atmospheric.

llehuty

Drop 4 was really stellar.

Holy shit at getting the damn maiden at the very beginning, didn't see that coming.

That moment when you get the hanged doll picture, check the map, and the only way is going through the section covered in water. Also, lol at me thinking that was going to be the scariest part of the drop, when there is still the cave to go.

I know this probably sounds weird, but I kind of wisht the episodes were a bit more cliffhanger-y. Except from the prologue, all the other episodes, so far, end
with you going back to the village. I kind of wished they got trapped inside of the mountain for a couple of episodes.

Bl@de

Have you played the other Fatal Frame/PZ games? How is stacking up to the others for you? If you're new to this series, then man you're in for such a treat with the other games in the series.

It's the first for me. 1-3 are completly different to play with fixed camera angles. Thought about playing them but went with 5 because it's new and shiny^^ But I've seen a LP of 1/2, look nice but 5 is enough for now. Too many other games coming out^^ I can't play retro titles all the time

The controls are kinda "bad on purpose"... Turning around quickly isn't something you're really supposed to do. That being said, easiest way I've found to manuever is to point control stick in the direction you want to go, then press ZL, and it'll center it for you.

And the point of the game is to be scary, which it does. :D
Being bad on purpose is bad design. Could've made the ghost more aggressive instead. Didn't like what I played. Doesn't help that you cant walk on a lot of scenery. Just makes it feel bad to control

Sadist

I'm mid way drop 6. Exciting times.
Three places I need to visit to activate a shutter to free that poor girl? I recognised the boat and coffin areas... but the final area is a bit random. Hope I can find it.

As for the other things discussed...

- The controls aren't that bad, but for folks who are more accustomed to games with a more fluid way of controlling their characters Project Zero V seems like a bad title to play. I completely understand. Personally I don't find that bad, but I can understand the complaints from others.
- I agree with the comment that the game isn't the scariest in the series. Maybe it's just me, but I'm expecting encounters at certain points and can expect what the game will be throwing at me.
- I feel one of the reasons why the game isn't that super scary is because of the ghost design. Before PZ V I only played the Wii version of 2 and during that game I came across the most terrifying ghost designs. Creepy eyes, broken necks dangeling around their shoulders... it was really creepy to see. In comparison the ghost designs in V are somewhat... safe. Not as threatening.
- I've seen some people (like Jim fuckin' Sterlin son) calling the game dull: I do not agree. I do however acknowledge it has it's faults, but dull Is something I would 't say about PZ V. The theme of the game is depressing though.

Kebiinu

Banned
Just finished the trial version and wow! Talk about atmospheric. The Prologue and first chapter are pretty subpar, but once you're in the woods, it's like the Japanese version of the Blair Witch!

There's that scene where you hear banging in the distance, and when you get to the source, you see a bunch of stick figures nailed to a tree. It's dope.

I was nervous at first, due to the mixed reviews. But the game is great, it's scary, and it's my first entry in the series I've heard so much about! I'll definitely be buying the full version.

Top Bottom