• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Apocrypha |OT| Saber, Rider and the Star Servants

Qurupeke

COQmbo0.png

The latest animated addition to the multimedia Type-Moon series, Fate. Fate/Apocrypha is an adaptation of the light novel written by Yuuichirou Higashide, which was supervised by Fate/stay night's author, Kinoko Nasu. You don't really need any prior knowledge other than the premise of Servants and Masters, as it is its own story. An important difference compared to previous Fate anime, Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works, is that studio Ufotable isn't working on this one. Fate/Apocrypha is animated by A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Granblue Fantasy The Animation), but at the very least, you should expect cool fights between ancient heroes once again.

Staff:

Director: Yoshiyuki Asai
Character designer: Yukei Yamada
Action director: Shun Enokido, Takahito Sakazume
Theme Song Performance (OP): EGOIST

Synopsis from the Type-Moon wiki:

The setting of Fate/Apocrypha is a parallel world to Fate/stay night where the Greater Grail was removed from Fuyuki after the Third Holy Grail War disappeared for many years. Around the 2000s, around the same time as the Fifth Holy Grail War would have happened, the group that plundered the Grail, Yggdmillennia, openly declares their secession from the Mage's Association and that they are in possession of the Grail. The Association dispatches fifty magi to retrieve it, but all but one are instantly slaughtered by Lancer of Black. The one remaining manages to activate the reserve system of the Greater Grail, allowing for the summoning of fourteen Servants in total.

This marks the start of the Great Holy Grail War in Trifas, featuring two different factions, the Black Faction, whose members are part of Yggdramillennia, and the Red Faction, whose members were sent by the Mage's Association with the exception of one from the Church. The Grail itself also summons Ruler to act as a mediator of the Holy Grail War.

Important Characters:

rvXoW8s.png
r5g4TLC.png

Sieg
Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae (Kaneki Ken in Tokyo Ghoul, Takumi Aldini in Food Wars)

Ruler, Jeanne d'Arc
Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (Shinobu in the Monogatari Series, Motoko in Ghost in the Shell: Arise)

NM9lOhQ.png
3y6GemW.png

Saber of Red, Mordred
Voiced by: Miyuki Kawashiro (Suruga in the Monogatari Series, Rita in Rage of Bahamut)

Rider of Black, Astolfo
Voiced by: Rumi Ookubo (Nona in Death Parade, Chinatsu in Yuru Yuri)

And many more...

9MvLR9D.png

The series airs Sundays at 00:00 (JST) on Japan and it's 25 episodes. The streaming rights belong to Netflix and its policy is to release a series after its broadcast, so people outside of Japan will likely have to wait for a few months in order to watch Fate/Apocrypha legally.

Official Site
PV

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bad franchise for sinners but will watch I guess.

Strimei

Still annoys me that Netflix does this crap. Its called simulcast, damn it.

Though I'll take that over Amazon's stupid double subscriptions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Still annoys me that Netflix does this crap. Its called simulcast, damn it.

Though I'll take that over Amazon's stupid double subscriptions.
It's a good thing we all live in Japan here and watch things as they broadcast on Japanese television.

wink.gif

So hyyyyyyypeeee-

The streaming rights belong to Netflix and its policy is to release a series after its broadcast, so people outside of Japan will likely have to wait for a few months in order to watch Fate/Apocrypha legally.

Oh.

Guess that explains why the argument "Amazon and Netflix exclusivity deals are killing anime" is a thing.

wamberz1

Fate is the guiltiest of my plesures. Don't expect it to come anywhere close to zero in quality but I'll watch it greedily every week.

Can't wait to see the
Fortress of Impalement
animated.

T-Rex.

Banned
Yeah, this is going to be pretty fun. Mordred alone will make it worthwhile tbh, and then you throw Jeanne into the mix and you get AOTY.

And Astolfo

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's been awhile since I've watched anything Fate related. Thank goodness I don't need to play catch up. lol

Kieli

This franchise did my boys
Siegried and Karna
wrong.

The first by getting rid of him because plot, and the second by making his anti-God NP useless because balance. Hell nah, Karna is supposed to be OP.

Linkark07

Banned
WHAT? Netflix? Screw this.

I like Netflix, but this isn't right. They should simulcast it, just like Crunchyroll or Amazon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was a decent first episode. Just like the novels, Mordred is gonna be the one i love to hate. Jean was...as Jean always is.

Also kinda concerned for new comers since they threw out a lot of terms in here with the church, mages association, threw in references to the void/root and royal families in general

I've heard some people say people could start here, absolutely do not think so with the terminology thrown into the first episode. They are just strolling around the tower of london without even establishing its significance

There is no way anyone will start with Apocrypha as it's a spinoff entry in the main franchise.

If anyone here is trying to start with Apocrypha, well, that's like starting Harry Potter by watching Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. Good luck with that.

duckroll

Is this another one of those threads like the LWA TV one where everyone pretends that they're not pirating the show for months? Asking for a friend.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Pretty much all you can do at this point considering the state of simulcasts. They should really have deals for this in all cases

Kieli

Is this another one of those threads like the LWA TV one where everyone pretends that they're not pirating the show for months? Asking for a friend.

I always crack up when (most) people complain of Berserk and HxH hiatuses and chicken-scratch artwork as if they paid for the works.

Bud, you piratin' and you still got the gall to complain? Damn, you a hard customer to please.

duckroll

You're a mod and an old head. We've run a DADT policy for years so I'm a bit confused

I'm not trying to start up shit here. (Okay, I am, but not in a moderation sort of way!)

It just amuses me how things are. Don't you think about it sometimes? If there's a 3-5 month wait between the Japanese release of a game and the English release of the game, the majority of people are content waiting and supporting that if they prefer to play it in a language they best understand. There will be people who play the import, but the bulk of the discussion takes place after the proper English release.

With Netflix anime, it seems like any delay is the end of the world, and by the time it goes up on Netflix the core anime demographic doesn't give a rat's ass anymore. You either watch it day 1, with possibly questionable subtitles, or you don't care at all. Isn't that weird and kinda crappy of the fanbase? Shouldn't we consider that maybe it can be improved? I dunno!

caliph95

I'm not trying to start up shit here. (Okay, I am, but not in a moderation sort of way!)

It just amuses me how things are. Don't you think about it sometimes? If there's a 3-5 month wait between the Japanese release of a game and the English release of the game, the majority of people are content waiting and supporting that if they prefer to play it in a language they best understand. There will be people who play the import, but the bulk of the discussion takes place after the proper English release.

With Netflix anime, it seems like any delay is the end of the world, and by the time it goes up on Netflix the core anime demographic doesn't give a rat's ass anymore. You either watch it day 1, with possibly questionable subtitles, or you don't care at all. Isn't that weird and kinda crappy of the fanbase? Shouldn't we consider that maybe it can be improved? I dunno!
Not defending piracy, (though i'm not completely innocent i sill won't defend it) anime studis and netflix shouldn't be surprise about this especially in this digital age that anime fans are not the most patience of fanbase which is why stuff like CR is successful and try to release episodes close to the Japanese broadcast. again not defending it but making them wait was probably a bad idea.

Though ideally people should wait

SigSig

Service problem and also not really comparable to videogames and also a problem of the medium itself. Shows aren't meant to be binged. Simulcasts exist. Demanding them doesn't seem crappy, it's the content provider who should improve to meet demands, not the customers to be nice to companies.
Meanwhile, people WILL watch as the show airs and that's where the discussion is happening, so if you want to talk about it, that's inevitably what will happen.
The content is "out there", the translation is good (and should be especially in this case), it's just not going to happen.

If subtitling videogames was as straightforward as subtitling video (and if the scripts were about the same size), we'd have the same "problem" with videogames.

the only reason this doesn't happen with games is because they aren't super fast easy convenient subs anyone and everyone can play, it's a completely different ballgame.

Several factors at play here imo.
1. Anime piracy basically built up the modern (western) anime fanbase, crunchy roll used to be a pirate site after all. So there's a natural feeling to return to your mothers house when your wife runs out on you.
2. No real reason for delay. If western anime culture was built around dubs or some other time consuming process then people would be more acceptable to delays. But when you are basically getting the same quality (even less I would say than the old days when people used to do Karaoke styling on the opening and ending) then what are you waiting for? Official subs are no less questionable than fansubs (since they are mostly the same people), offficial subs get told to use certain words from higher ups, and when crunchyroll decided to cheap out on their video quality it was fansubbers/pirates who noticed an brought this fact out.
3. Too much output. There is so much anime out that waiting to "watch it later" often means watch it never simply because there is always something else that's coming out. Add in the fact that there is no real metacritic/rotten tomatoes for anime, means that discovery of good stuff that you missed is extremely difficult. This helps to drive together a very time based discussion culture, where a show is only really active for the lifetime of the season it shows on before it is time to move on to the next thing.
4. Bias to the hardcore. Hardcore people are hardcore, they go on message boards, they keep up with voice actors, they cosplay etc. Being on the frontline of anime yet not being able to keep up with the latest release is unfathomable to them. If they couldn't watch fansubs they would watch it raw and read summaries. You don't really notice the casual watcher who sees something cool on netflix/cruncyroll and doesn't really care much about the industry or the latest release.

caliph95

Even with the video games example people do try for visual novels and such where it's easy to translate the text. Danganronpa and and the second Edgeworth game are famous examples of this especially since they are JP titles that either take long to get released to the west or never see the light of day. If it was easy to do so it may take months you would see a lot of them in compared to anime/manga where it would take at most a day to just listen and add subtitles.

It also help that video gamers are used to waiting for games compared to anime fans

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Uh wait, so did it air this past Sunday, or is it airing next week? I was in Taiwan this past weekend on business, so I wasn't able to check.

Galang

Banned
Why are people ashamed to like the fate series? It's amazing. Fate Stay/Night is underrated and Zero is awesome. Rejoice!! This will be great! I'm not sure I like this new studio animating it.. but still excited

Toki767

It's a valid point...and I did binge watch Fate/Zero vs watching the original Fate series every week.

Binge watching is more convenient, but it's not really conductive to discussion the way everyone watching 1 episode each week and commenting on that episode would be. It's why I don't tend to participate in Netflix show threads but do in regular TV show threads.

caliph95

Why are people ashamed to like the fate series? It's amazing. Fate Stay/Night is underrated and Zero is awesome. Rejoice!! This will be great! I'm not sure I like this new studio animating it.. but still excited
The only overall positive consensus is F/Z in the fate series (unless the Kara no kyoukai count ). Other wise you get the weak and cliche of Deen anime, the rushed UBW movie and UBW anime which i'm sure is positive and at worst mixed. Helps that F/Z is shorter than Visual novels which can take days and has the involvement of Urobachi.

patapuf

I like fate and the universe a lot but it's full of stuff i usually dislike / don't pay attention to. I don't really understand why i like it. Nostalgia plays a part but that's not all of it.

Also, Zero is the best thing they've done with the fate universe. By far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't get the hate for the UBW anime. I thought it was great. Not as good as Zero, obviously, but still a very solid fantasy action anime.

The first ep has aired.

Sweet, good to know.

I'll wait for this to go on Netflix if I watch it at all. I waited for LWA. Then again I'll prolly forgot to watch it now! I hope this is Zero quality. I've skipped all the others due to people telling me to. (though I've considered trying UBW)

Top Bottom