• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Extella announced for PS4/Vita

Fate musou huh? Should be import friendly then. The story probably won't be worth a damn anyway. Echhh @ Nero. Include some good servants instead.

Also, listen to duckroll.

Arabesque

i think they are only using Nero for the reveal since this is an Extra spin off, and she's the main servant of that branch of the franchise.

Soon enough we will get all the highest voted servants from Grand Order to show up in this game. Gotta make sure people buy it to play their favourite character.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
i think they are only using Nero for the reveal since this is an Extra spin off, and she's the main servant of that branch of the franchise.

Soon enough we will get all the highest voted servants from Grand Order to show up in this game. Gotta make sure people buy it to play their favourite character.

Oh boy, I can't want to play as 3 star garbage shirtless male characters and only get high level [craft essence equivalents] in this game. Bring on Extella!!!!!

Aniel

Neo Member
I don't think that's possible, given Fate/Stay night has much fewer POV than F/Z (and the majority of Stay night is through one, Shirou's) and that Zero deals with storylines better and more diverse that SN.

But it did come after the visual novel so it did have the opportunity to improve on what was (and wasn't) there.

I can see your point and I don't want to turn this into a "Zero vs stay/night"-thread but what I meant is that most of the cast in Zero doesn't undergo character development and is pretty static for the most part. For example: Tokiomi is basically a guy who already chose his path in life, so we don't get to see him struggle that much between being a parent and a magus while Rin's entire character arc in F/SN revolves around her struggling between being a mage and a "human". And it's not just Rin or Tokiomi, I think the same about most of the cast except Kiritsugu, Kotomine and Waver. And then again, Kiritsugu's character arc is way less interesting to me than Shirou's as we basically know already that the "Hero of Justice" ideal doesn't work the way Kiritsugu wants.
But I'm not a big fan of Urobuchi's stuff itself, so maybe I just prefer Nasu's approach.

What "depth" does Fate stay/night have?

For me it's the characters and the world building. Especially Emiya Shirou is a very interesting character to me and his thoughts and relationships with other characters make him a deep character imo. Most VNs basically have a main character who you should just self-insert into but you can't really self-insert into Shirou because of his state of mind. He is broken and mentally ill person and you have to understand him by choosing not the thing you would do, but making the choices HE would do.
That's at least how I think about F/SN and it's definitely not for everyone, but I would never call it bad. Sure, there are definitely some things that could be done better but you can say that about everything lol.

Arabesque

Oh boy, I can't want to play as 3 star garbage shirtless male characters and only get high level [craft essence equivalents] in this game. Bring on Extella!!!!!

Hey, some of those 3 star garbage male characters keep their shirts on!

But really, I doubt many of them would make it in.

inb4 Cu and Robin Hood are snubbed for Scathach and Nobu despite being in Extra.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Do we really need to turn every Fate game thread into a TYPEMOON "waifu wars" discussion? The amount of off topic derailing that goes on is insane. This is about a game who cares about if Fate/Zero is better than the TV adaptaKanata > Type Mercury (ORT) = Ado Edem > Type Jupiter > Type Saturn > Type Moon (Crimson Moon) > Type Pluto = The Six Sisters > Type Venus > Arcueid (Full power) > Balor > Primordial Demons > True Demons > Primate Murder > Original Roa > Angra Mainyu > Zelretch (young) > Lancelot (F-15) > Gilgamesh (Vimana) > Counter Guardian Archer > Gilgamesh (Tohsaka) > Gilgamesh (Kotomine) = Arcueid (30%) > Dark Sakura > Dark Saber > Lancelot = Saber > 5th Berserker > Dark Berserker > 17th Roa (Elesia) > 4th Rider > Merem Solomon > 5th Lancer (optimal) > 4th Lancer = 5th Rider (Sakura/optimal) = 4th Caster (optimal) > 5th Lancer (Kotomine) = 5th Caster = 4th Caster (Ryuunosuke) > 5th Rider (Shinji) > Nrvnqsr = Clairvoyant Fujino = Kurogiri > Archer > Kouma > 5th Assassin = 4th Assassin > Aoko = Barthomeloi = Arcueid (6%) = Kojirou = Ciel = "Ryougi Shiki" = Soren Araya (within the Ogawa Building) > Gun God (Black Barrel) > Touko = El-Melloi = Night of Wallachia > Sion Tatari = Melty Blood Satsuki = R. Shiki = Akiha = Asagami Fujino = 18th Roa < Tohno SHIKI = Alba = Heaven's Feel Shirou = Kiri > Nanaya Shiki = Reinforced Kuzuki = Sion = UBW Shirou = Waver = Bazett > Avenger = Rin = Kotomine = Zouken = Luvia > Kiritsuhu = Irisviel > Maiya = Leysritt = Tsukihime Satsuki = Lio = Avalon Shirou = Sakura = Ilya = Kariya = Len > Kirie = Caren = Meruka > Azaka > The Dead = Possessed Corpse = Misayo = Dragon Tooth Warrior = Fuji-nee > Gun God (unequipped) > Fake Shiki > Ryuunosuke > Tomoe > Keita San > Shinji = Hisui = Kohaku

Shahed

For me I'd heard a lot about Fate Stay Night over the years so I watched the 2006 anime a while back. In the end I had to force myself through it and while there were a few decent characters, the rest annoyed me and in the end I didn't like the anime at all. Fast forward a few years to after Fate Zero came out. I was looking for something to watch and figured I'd give it a go. Turns out I really liked it. The cast were so much better than Night.

As someone who hasn't read or watched the visual novels and the only experience is the animes, I found Zero so much better than Night it's unreal. I'm curious St to whether I shoukd watch the new UBW version of Night, but I'm worried I'd dislike it again.

fatalexe

Zero doesnt even provide a closure and that should be reason enough that Stay Night has more depth than Zero. You wouldn't even know the logic behind Zero's ending without playing/watching Stay Night

Without Stay Night, the ending of Zero just seems like a giant plot device without any reasoning behind it

Arabesque

Do we really need to turn every Fate game thread into a TYPEMOON "waifu wars" discussion?

It is the nature of the beast. You can't talk about Fate unless you drag everything it had birthed along with it, because that's how it's been designed.

On actual topic, I do hope Extella turns out to be a fun game. I expect it to be chock full of fanservice and mambo jumbo, but I hope the game play is good at least.

Would be nice playing a Fate game with good game play.

I don't get why we need waifu wars when Zero Rider is right there. I mean, the best is pretty obvious, right?

Also, if you wanna get into Fate, start with either the 9001 hour visual novel or just watch the UBW series. It's fun and pretty and who really cares about Saber's route am I right

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yes
rider is best

Which one.........

It is the nature of the beast. You can't talk about Fate unless you drag everything it had birthed along with it, because that's how it's been designed.

On actual topic, I do hope Extella turns out to be a fun game. I expect it to be chock full of fanservice and mambo jumbo, but I hope the game play is good at least.

Would be nice playing a Fate game with good game play.

Just kidding anyway. And agreed about the last line.

Do we really need to turn every Fate game thread into a TYPEMOON "waifu wars" discussion? The amount of off topic derailing that goes on is insane. This is about a game who cares about if Fate/Zero is better than the TV adaptaKanata > Type Mercury (ORT) = Ado Edem > Type Jupiter > Type Saturn > Type Moon (Crimson Moon) > Type Pluto = The Six Sisters > Type Venus > Arcueid (Full power) > Balor > Primordial Demons > True Demons > Primate Murder > Original Roa > Angra Mainyu > Zelretch (young) > Lancelot (F-15) > Gilgamesh (Vimana) > Counter Guardian Archer > Gilgamesh (Tohsaka) > Gilgamesh (Kotomine) = Arcueid (30%) > Dark Sakura > Dark Saber > Lancelot = Saber > 5th Berserker > Dark Berserker > 17th Roa (Elesia) > 4th Rider > Merem Solomon > 5th Lancer (optimal) > 4th Lancer = 5th Rider (Sakura/optimal) = 4th Caster (optimal) > 5th Lancer (Kotomine) = 5th Caster = 4th Caster (Ryuunosuke) > 5th Rider (Shinji) > Nrvnqsr = Clairvoyant Fujino = Kurogiri > Archer > Kouma > 5th Assassin = 4th Assassin > Aoko = Barthomeloi = Arcueid (6%) = Kojirou = Ciel = "Ryougi Shiki" = Soren Araya (within the Ogawa Building) > Gun God (Black Barrel) > Touko = El-Melloi = Night of Wallachia > Sion Tatari = Melty Blood Satsuki = R. Shiki = Akiha = Asagami Fujino = 18th Roa < Tohno SHIKI = Alba = Heaven's Feel Shirou = Kiri > Nanaya Shiki = Reinforced Kuzuki = Sion = UBW Shirou = Waver = Bazett > Avenger = Rin = Kotomine = Zouken = Luvia > Kiritsuhu = Irisviel > Maiya = Leysritt = Tsukihime Satsuki = Lio = Avalon Shirou = Sakura = Ilya = Kariya = Len > Kirie = Caren = Meruka > Azaka > The Dead = Possessed Corpse = Misayo = Dragon Tooth Warrior = Fuji-nee > Gun God (unequipped) > Fake Shiki > Ryuunosuke > Tomoe > Keita San > Shinji = Hisui = Kohaku
&#65340;| &#65507;&#12504;&#65507;|&#65295;

Aniel

Neo Member
Do we really need to turn every Fate game thread into a TYPEMOON "waifu wars" discussion? The amount of off topic derailing that goes on is insane. This is about a game who cares about if Fate/Zero is better than the TV adapta...

Yeah, you're right, sorry, but that's normal when it comes to Fate/TYPE-MOON discussions lol.
Pretty excited for the game, I always wanted an Fate action game and having one set in the EXTRA universe excites me even more. Maybe this time the gameplay will be good!

Zipzo

Banned
There are lots of people that do like FSN though, and he may be one of those people.
As such I would recommend to try watching/playing FSN first, if he doesn't like then sure maybe try Fate/Zero.

Full-stop, as an anime enthusiast I really could not ever bring myself to recommend watching FSN.

It's just a bad anime. The story and the concept is good, Fate/Zero proved that unequivocally, but FSN was just too soon for them to do any good with it. The main protagonist is just way too much cringe.

Even the remake doesn't do a great job of saving the material...nor the protag.

Fate/Zero focuses on thematic elements that increase the enjoyment of the series spectacularly. Makes you think. FSN is just a cheeseball fantasy/action romp.

The two are so different in this regard, that I have to side with duckroll. I strongly recommend watching Fate/Zero and eschewing the rest.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah, you're right, sorry, but that's normal when it comes to Fate/TYPE-MOON discussions lol.
Pretty excited for the game, I always wanted an Fate action game and having one set in the EXTRA universe excites me even more. Maybe this time the gameplay will be good!

But that is like the only good thing from that series

I was just looking for an excuse to post the tier list, I don't want anything else from these threads besides waifu wars.

Caren dAbEsT

cj_iwakura

Want to talk about bad opinions, I loved Fate/Extra. Very underrated gem, awesome Shinji Hosoe score. It also did pretty well too, so why Aksys never localized CCC will forever be beyond me.

And you really should watch UBW after Zero, it brings it full circle. Emiya's progression is fantastic.

I see some fluffy tail in that image. On that subject, Casters are objectively the best wives

fate-extella_160315.jpg

It's pretty clearly caster. So I guess they'll just bring back most of the characters from F/E.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://fate-extella.jp/

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/fateextella-announced-ps4-ps-vita

Fate/Extella will launch for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in Japan in 2016. The scenario is written by Kinoko Nasu and Hikaru Sakurai, character design is by Aruko Wada, and development is by Marvelous.

The game follows the after-story of the Moon Holy Grail War.

Servants (Playable Characters)

Nero Claudius (voiced by Sakura Tange) &#8211; A servant who fought through the Moon Holy Grail War. She also has a mysterious form change.
Caster Tamamo no Mae (voiced by Chiwa Saito) &#8211; A servant who uses various magic skills.
Saber Altera (voiced by Mamiko Noto) &#8211; Her first appearance in the main series after her appearance in Fate/Grand Order.

A Message from the Creator, Kinoko Nasu
We&#8217;ve been making this under the surface from after we finished the previous game. The Moon Holy Grail War overturned what was once the fixed concept of Fate, and this time we&#8217;re repainting what was in Extra with this new world. It&#8217;s a story that inherits the blood of Extra. The new world of the Moon, Extella.

A Message from Takashi Takeuchi
It is neither a counter to Fate/stay night, nor is it a mere sequel to Fate/Extra.

Development is 60 percent complete.

The Moon Holy Grail War overturned what was once the fixed concept of Fate, and this time we’re repainting what was in Extra with this new world. It’s a story that inherits the blood of Extra. The new world of the Moon, Extella.

It is neither a counter to Fate/stay night, nor is it a mere sequel to Fate/Extra.
Already sounding like some good old fashioned Nasu nonsense.

Taruranto

I can see your point and I don't want to turn this into a "Zero vs stay/night"-thread but what I meant is that most of the cast in Zero doesn't undergo character development and is pretty static for the most part. For example: Tokiomi is basically a guy who already chose his path in life, so we don't get to see him struggle that much between being a parent and a magus while Rin's entire character arc in F/SN revolves around her struggling between being a mage and a "human". And it's not just Rin or Tokiomi, I think the same about most of the cast except Kiritsugu, Kotomine and Waver. And then again, Kiritsugu's character arc is way less interesting to me than Shirou's as we basically know already that the "Hero of Justice" ideal doesn't work the way Kiritsugu wants.
But I'm not a big fan of Urobuchi's stuff itself, so maybe I just prefer Nasu's approach.

For me it's the characters and the world building. Especially Emiya Shirou is a very interesting character to me and his thoughts and relationships with other characters make him a deep character imo. Most VNs basically have a main character who you should just self-insert into but you can't really self-insert into Shirou because of his state of mind. He is broken and mentally ill person and you have to understand him by choosing not the thing you would do, but making the choices HE would do.
That's at least how I think about F/SN and it's definitely not for everyone, but I would never call it bad. Sure, there are definitely some things that could be done better but you can say that about everything lol.

The only character who undergo through significant development in FSN are Saber and Shirou, but they are awful because Nasu can't write for shiet and their romance is forced as hell. Rin is a poor character mostly there for exposition.

He does make interesting settings, which it's the reason why people prefer Zero. It actually makes use of FSN setting, instead of it being an excuse for Shirou chuuni wish-fulfilment adventures (with cooking) FZ actually lives up to the premise FSN prologue set up. Even Saber is more interesting in Zero than FSN.

Arabesque

Nero Claudius (voiced by Sakura Tange) – A servant who fought through the Moon Holy Grail War. She also has a mysterious form change.
Caster Tamamo no Mae (voiced by Chiwa Saito) – A servant who uses various magic skills.

See, I read this, and thought "seems reasonable, gotta bring in the Servants from Extra, since this is related to the core game"

But then

Saber Altera (voiced by Mamiko Noto) – Her first appearance in the main series after her appearance in Fate/Grand Order.

RIP EMIYA

Expecting this to be the Fate/Waifu Musou game

But seriously, Emyia will be added in the game, just with less fanfare

Guess we also have confirmation that Grand Order Servants will be included.

Arabesque

Oh, Altera is Attila, not Saber Alter. :V

I know right? I was confused why they said Alter debuted in Grand Order when she was in Stay Night, till I realised that was the spelling of fem!Atilla that Type Moon uses.

While I'm at it, looking at how Wada drew her, huke > Wada in this case (not that it makes a difference, since the design is shit anyways :V)

Man I loved Extra so much. I am still waiting for CCC. Still waiting...

You best import the game, since an official translation is unlikely given how poorly Extra sold.

Top Bottom