• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/EXTELLA Switch comes with 35 free costumes and exclusive Unshackled Bride one

Tossing out DoF and better outlines is already a plus. The former regardless of how well the PS4 version did it is good, because I tend to toss out most if not all image effects when I have the option, because the IQ is better for it. I tend to take a 'spartan' approach to image effects, I find they add little at most to the experience in most circumstances regardless of game.

Still, the fact that the Switch version is suddenly the best-looking version in spite of the existence of the PS4 version is fucking hilarious to me. Considering the Switch has way better specs than the Vita, I doubt it won't run at 60FPS at native res.

I was wondering what unshackled meant so I had to compare the two bride outfits because I couldn't tell the difference. Unshackled indeed.

That price is awful

NeOak

Okay, I found a screen from both the PS4 and Vita versions to compare:

Switch
PS4
Vita:

add_hanayome_ss5.jpg

fateps4d4u4s.png

fatevitao1uq5.png

One other comparison I saw was that Switch lacks the depth of field of the PS4 version.
>looks at sealed Vita Noble Phantasm version
giphy.gif

I had to play the PS4 version earlier this year and it suuuuucks. If you are fan of Fate I assume you can get some enjoyment out if it, but otherwise pretty much every Warriors title is superior to this.

Second this. This game is hot dumpster fire. Please stay away unless you're a hardcore fan of the Anime.

RRockman

Banned
How important is Nero to the plot? I hated the inspiration, and I hate "her" here too. Could I do the story as regular Saber here or do certain characters have their own story and the rest are extra non canon fluff?

T-Rex.

Banned
How important is Nero to the plot? I hated the inspiration, and I hate "her" here too. Could I do the story as regular Saber here or do certain characters have their own story and the rest are extra non canon fluff?
lmao, stay away from it cos she's very important

Ventara

That sounds pretty good, though I'm torn on whether I'll be picking it up. Recently bought it on the Vita, and it plays surprisingly well on it. But those costumes...

tsundoku

its just an anime musou that isn't actually a licensed or official musou from a series that will probably be significantly less confusing if you don't have the proper story context,
I strongly disagree that you need to go play a psp game first if you just want something grindy for your commute /roadtrip

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
May not be for Saber Arturia, but it is for Saber
Nero

That's why i said luckily its not for Arturia :p Don't care about Nero tbh

Tsukihime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fate/

Fate/ game spinoffs are nothing but trash.

But Tsukihime has the one game in this world that matters: MELTY.

ok

Gah, guess that answers my question then. I wonder if we'll ever get the VN's. Thanks.

No, because TM don't care

Inuhanyou

Seriously though. Played about 60 hours of this with all the characters, not worth it to buy. Its a very sub average Musou with the Fate tie in being its only draw.

Many of the stories can be interesting, but its not worth the cost of admission if your not super hardcore. Those just browsing or casually finding out about Fate or TM through ufotable's several anime adaptions need not apply

Skulldead

Let's see how it's going to run... Omega Force, the guy who did Dragon Quest Heroes..... that switch version is abysmal for DQH...i'll lower my expectation.

Itsuki

Is this worth getting? I played Extra and CCC. Not a Type-Moon fan anymore after how Type-Moon is a Fate company now.

jonno394

Seriously though. Played about 60 hours of this with all the characters, not worth it to buy. Its a very sub average Musou with the Fate tie in being its only draw.

Many of the stories can be interesting, but its not worth the cost of admission if your not super hardcore. Those just browsing or casually finding out about Fate or TM through ufotable's several anime adaptions need not apply

I love it when people say "I put 60 hours in to this" and then say it's no good. If a game was "sub average" or something I was not enjoying, there's no way I could put 60 hours in to it.

Inuhanyou

Is this worth getting? I played Extra and CCC. Not a Type-Moon fan anymore after how Type-Moon is a Fate company now.

Does that mean you'll come back when...hehe...Tsukihime hehehe remake comes ou-hahahahaha!

Ah. I made myself laugh.

We can forget about Mahoyo 2 and 3 i guess.

Its not the same kind of game as Extra or CCC. Personally think the gameplay of this game hurts it the most, so banal and repetitive.

If you liked Nero or the characters of Extra, i'd say give it a shot or want to see the Grand Order newcomers or FSN characters do their thing. Otherwise, its not worth it.

vareon

I love it when people say "I put 60 hours in to this" and then say it's no good. If a game was sub average or not enjoyable, there's no way I could put 60 hours in to it.

It just means he's enjoying it in some way, but will never recommend the game to anyone else unless you're a hardcore fan. To me this happens a lot with games from anime.

Anyway my friend is a longtime F/GO player and she loved the game, but all she talked about was the story and characters.

Inuhanyou

I love it when people say "I put 60 hours in to this" and then say it's no good. If a game was sub average or not enjoyable, there's no way I could put 60 hours in to it.

I'm a very veteran TM fan so i got some enjoyment out of it(to be fair, about 10 hours of that 60 was replaying Arturia's scenario over and over).

But its plain to see that the gameplay is subpar and the game itself definitely not inviting for those without a particular taste for what the game offers.

How's the difficulty (aka cheapness) of the boss fights? If those aren't frustrating, then it's already way better than Berserk Musou in my book, on top of the vastly superior character variety. Berserk Musou is probably the worst Musou game, Omega Force really dropped the ball there.

OVDRobo

I'll drop an opinion here, too, as one of the few people that played the PS4 version.

From a moderate fan of musou-style games and a moderate fan of the Fate/ franchise, take this advice:

Do not buy this game if you are a fan of musou games and want another one to play. It's got solid enough systems but there's nowhere near as much content as an omega force musou game. It's about 20 hours long for all significant content outside of grinding higher difficulty levels.

Do not buy this game if you watched and enjoyed Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works and especially if you watched and enjoyed Fate/Zero and want something similar. The game is extremely far removed both tonally and setting-wise from both, taking place in cyberspace with the main plot point for a majority of the game being a literal waifu war with numerous comedic elements.

Do not buy this game if you can't handle large quantities of waifu nonsense. I have a decent amount of tolerance for that stuff, but this game is full of long strings of descriptive text full of adjectives like 'perfect' and 'beautful' being used to describe pretty much any female character the self-insert protagonist encounters. It got so bad that I ended up skipping a decent number of scenes because the main character wouldn't stop mentally jerking himself off over his servant.

The only circumstance in which you should buy this game is if you really like musou-style games, love the Fate/ franchise and you don't care about a dramatic shift in tone from most other media available in translated form. I managed to get some enjoyment out of it because it gave me a chance to play as Emiya, Cu Chulainn and Artoria in an action game, but outside of the two main characters, it feels like less attention was paid to balancing movesets and making everything flow together well.

Itsuki

Does that mean you'll come back when...hehe...Tsukihime hehehe remake comes ou-hahahahaha!

Ah. I made myself laugh.

We can forget about Mahoyo 2 and 3 i guess.

Its not the same kind of game as Extra or CCC. Personally think the gameplay of this game hurts it the most, so banal and repetitive.

If you liked Nero or the characters of Extra, i'd say give it a shot or want to see the Grand Order newcomers or FSN characters do their thing. Otherwise, its not worth it.

I already gave up with Tsukihime remake. It's been almost 9 years since it was announced haha... Even if they release it someday, I won't be a Type-Moon fan again. But I had a lot of fun talking about Type-Moon with the fan base back when I was a fan.
Still waiting for the third volume of DDD but I doubt it's going to happen.

Thanks, then I'll think about getting it or not. Maybe I'll get the PS4 version if I find it cheap.

Inuhanyou

How's the difficulty (aka cheapness) of the boss fights? If those aren't frustrating, then it's already way better than Berserk Musou in my book, on top of the vastly superior character variety. Berserk Musou is probably the worst Musou game, Omega Force really dropped the ball there.

i didn't find them all that difficult but you'll be doing a lot less of that than mowing down mooks

Linkark07

Banned
Welp, only musou I have played is Hyrule Warriors Legends, and even how I like it, I would be lying if I said it isnt quite repetitive. Seeing how peole say to stay away from this, guess my excitement has started disappearing.

Clov

Thanks game's no good at all then? I enjoyed the story in Fate/Extra, but if it's not worth bothering with then I might skip this after all.

Can you at least choose the gender of your MC like in Fate/Extra?

jonjonaug

Thanks game's no good at all then? I enjoyed the story in Fate/Extra, but if it's not worth bothering with then I might skip this after all.

The story is solid and you can change the MC gender and name at any time. The gameplay is standard musou clone stuff.

I played and beat it on PS4 and I certainly recommend it for anybody who really likes the Fate Universe and also enjoyed the Fate Extra/CCC stories.

Plus more fucking Nero Saber and Elizabeth is always great.

fatalexe

I might be in the minority, but as someone who grew up with Musou games since DW3, I loved the gameplay of Extella. It's 60FPS, enemies are endless and the animations is just so smooth and captures the feeling of an overpowered Servant. It can get repetitive, but I actually prefer this style of high-speed Musou gameplay compared to DW8. The dashing and insane AOE attacks is just fun to witness and control.

There's a distinct lack of powerups/weapons/skills aside from passive bonuses. DW series is much better in this aspect.

Once you're done with the main and side story, there is practically no reason to replay the game anymore.

With that said, I still won't recommend it to a non-Fate fan. This game is all about the character and world building that Fate fans would appreciate. And even so it's meant to be for the more advanced/hardcore fans that consume more than the anime.

fatalexe

If you could slog through the "gameplay" in Fate/Extra for the story, then Extella is infinitely better.

T-Rex.

Banned
I might be in the minority, but as someone who grew up with Musou games since DW3, I loved the gameplay of Extella. It's 60FPS, enemies are endless and the animations is just so smooth and captures the feeling of an overpowered Servant. It can get repetitive, but I actually prefer this style of high-speed Musou gameplay compared to DW8. The dashing and insane AOE attacks is just fun to witness and control.
I really enjoyed the gameplay as well, but unlike you I don't even like musou games. I hate them for the most part because I find them boring, but Extella really clicked with me.

EDarkness

Thanks for the impressions, guys. I've grown quite interested in the FATE series, so I'll get this to experience more of that universe. Plus a chance to play as Saber half naked is a plus, too. My wallet is going to be hurting in July. heh, heh.

fatalexe

I really enjoyed the gameplay as well, but unlike you I don't even like musou games. I hate them for the most part because I find them boring, but Extella really clicked with me.

Yup, after playing Extella the normal Musou games just seems so slow and sluggish compared with all the dashing and animation cancelling that we do in Extella.

The best part about the PS4 version is that it runs at a rock solid 60fps, it really is a fun experience. Loved the story as well and how it ties into the greater Nasu/Fate-verse with its numerous revelations. Loved the characters as well.

Seik

Banned
I never played or knew this series before the direct from last week. I enjoy the Musou style a lot though.

Can I jump in without feeling absolutely lost?

Top Bottom