• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star |OT| Arturia BeenDraggin'

Strimei

You know I do find it kinda funny how Nasu set so many "rules" for Fate/ and then just outright came up with excuses to just straight-up breach them instead of finding Asimov loopholes to break them with.

Like, the Grail summoning evil "heroes" is
the product of Angra Mainyu's corruption of the grail in the 3rd war
- Otherwise the Grail would only allow the summoning of genuine heroes.

Or that Servants have to be heroes from the past bearing pre-industrial weapons, which has been breached countless ways starting with
GARcher
in the original VN (Hammered in further by /Extra) and reaching a peak with a quarter of Grand Order's Archer roster (And a few in other classes)

I actually forgot the latter rule. Also don't forget
the weird counter guardian stuff and how Saber is a Servant but not exactly a servant and isn't in the Throne of Heroes

Also speaking of the above, I'm still freaking out about the revelation from GO about
Fou being freaking PRIMATE MURDER. Jesus Christ.

Anyway yeah its always amusing to see the way things get around the rules. Isn't there a rule about how divine beings can't be one? Yet
we have Artemis (memory serves the excuse is more she just "came along" with Orion), Ishtar (possessing Rin), etc

Voror

Any word on how the Vita version does performance wise? I'll probably hold off for now, but I'm definitely curious for this.

pariah164

Went to Gamestop, with a reserve down for the standard edition. Asked if, just out of curiosity, if they had the Noble Phantasm edition for PSVIta.

bPIJXhU.jpg

They had only one, and thought it was reserved till they looked it up. "Did you want it?"

Um. Yes.

The cards are really gorgeous, you guys.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
HOLY SHIT! Just encountered Sword of Promised Victory in game

;_; Its more beautiful than ever before

Ashilyn

Finished the first story arc, working my way through the side stories now. Some of these battles get really tough to manage if you are not REALLY on your shit with clearing out plants or enemy servants, and there was one level in particular where it always waited to warn me that there was a trap that would prevent me from being able to tackle the objectives until I defeated a Servant... until after I'd already triggered it. Other than that, it was quite good. Dense, as expected. Thank god for the encyclopedia in the game and the art book.
Both make mention of things I wouldn't have expected, like the physical artbook referencing the Robin Hood, Romulus, and Florence Nightingale (Berserker) Heroic Spirits, and the in game one bringing up Mystic Eyes. Just as long as I don't have to fight Shiki Ryougi again or something
. Also if you got the Noble Phantasm Edition, beware: The artbook is chock full of spoilers.

Kinoko Nasu's mind still scares the shit out of me. Nothing new there, though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbp6D68bTsg

someone haven't played any warrior game before,but it's seems more repeptive then any warrior game?

No, it's no more repetitive than any other musou game is. It's still the same kind of game play where the basic grunts aren't much of a threat and the challenge comes from strategy elements (and playing on a higher difficulty level).

it's seems to be good port,steady frame rate and no drops,which is weird if you ask me.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vita version is the main game and the PS4 version is an enhanced port of it. It's impressive, visually, for the Vita while not being as much so on the PS4 (although on PS4 you get an almost rock-solid framerate with the screen filled with enemies), but the framerate is on the lower side and there are far less enemies on-screen.

It does seem a little more repitive than Warriors to me so far. But I think part of that is that the "basic" clear flow isn't conveyed as well in the Tutorial. It took me 25 minutes to clear the Tutorial (and I've still a missed a scene according to the Gallery), because the intended battle flow was unclear (deal with Plants first, then clear rooms to unlock the boss) and that the map markings are unclear at first (the icons representing Adjucators and Plants aren't as obvious and harder to see at a distance on the crowded maps). I'm pretty sure I'd clear the map a lot faster this time around.

I'm liking it a lot so far.

The controls aren't as tight as say, Sengoku Basara but they're okay. And with the triple jump and the sweet boost dash you can both cancel into, you have a ton of mobility and can do some pretty cool combos.

Plus between switching characters -and- the transformation -and- your noble phantasm there's a good variety of attacks. Only dislike how often you can do the 'extella maneuver', it's so cheap and yet it takes forever.

I like the map control a lot. It really is pretty involved and if you don't go where you're supposed to and get shit done, levels can take forever.

---
All this aside, it's a lot more story heavy than i expected. There's so much dialogue! All voiced too! That alone is making me really happy to return to this setting.

Umu.

Don't forget Fate/Apocrypha's adaptation where we'll get to see the actual true best girl all animated up and stuff.

I like you. I was hoping she was gonna get in but alas. Perhaps if this does well we can get a FGO musou~
Sakura Saber let's gooo

bobawesome

AMAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!! BUBBLE MAILEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRSS!!!!

God, I hate these things. It'll be the major reason I upgrade again to Amazon Prime. I'm sad that I'm rewarding them by doing that but it's just too much. I'm so tired of returning things.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

God, I hate these things. It'll be the major reason I upgrade again to Amazon Prime. I'm sad that I'm rewarding them by doing that but it's just too much. I'm so tired of returning things.

They still pull that shit with Prime.

shaowebb

I know very little on Fate Stay story stuff. Something about fighting for a grail for power or a wish or something and folks summoning a famous hero to be reincarnated as like a warrior or something role in the grail war to fight on their behalf. Anything beyond the premise, like characters, I have next to no understanding of.

That said, this looks like decent Musou. I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm really on the fence about snagging this, I love sengoku basara because it's a faster paced more over the top alternative to most musou games and this looks right up my alley but i've literally never seen an episode of fate or know anything about the world lol.

I might pick up a copy tomorrow if I can find a place selling the physical vita version.

Kumubou

I'm actually surprised at the LE items not being completely crap. I was legitimately surprised at how close the Fate/Extella Material book was to the Fate/Extra one (it's smaller, but mainly because the F/E one covers both the original game and CCC), and the cards and cloth poster are both reasonably well made.

The game is... uh, not tuned the best? I started playing on Hard (I wonder if that's a mistake) and I got all the way to the first chapter's boss and it turns out the only thing I had that would damage her was my Noble Phantasm. I can see the weightlessness comments here, as I'm teeing off on the boss and doing all of No Damage. After losing, I get dumped back to the chapter select screen... and see that the suggested level for the first stage is 15? Huh??? Thankfully, the game at least retains gained levels after failing a mission.

I'm also starting to wonder if Time To Idol(s) should start becoming a metric for Japanese videogames nowdays, much like Old Man Murray's old Time To Crate scoring system.

The game is... uh, not tuned the best? I started playing on Hard (I wonder if that's a mistake) and I got all the way to the first chapter's boss and it turns out the only thing I had that would damage her was my Noble Phantasm. I can see the weightlessness comments here, as I'm teeing off on the boss and doing all of No Damage. After losing, I get dumped back to the chapter select screen... and see that the suggested level for the first stage is 15? Huh??? Thankfully, the game at least retains gained levels after failing a mission.

It's a dynasty warriors game. The difficulty level is not at all designed around you doing it at lvl 1 at the start of the game.

Another hot tip would be https://youtu.be/B_i18yzmi0g?t=10s

Tohsaka

Game is pretty fun so far after getting halfway through Caster's route. My main annoyance is Plants spawning across the map when I'm trying to do some other objective. Pretty enjoyable other than that, haven't seen any frame drops at all on PS4 Pro.

OVDRobo

I snagged a copy of this today on a whim and figured I'd give some impressions as a person who has played many musou games and has been a moderate but not huge fan of Fate since the original visual novel for anyone on the fence.

For reference, I've finished up Nero's story and half of Tamamo's so far.

Starting with the good, the gameplay systems are actually pretty fleshed out and interesting. Comparing it to a lot of Omega Force (Dynasty Warriors etc.) musou games, it actually ranks up there. There's enough depth to each character and enough special modes and special moves to keep things fresh. The high level of mobility is fantastic keeps everything really fluid and fast, never making you undergo a mid-mission trudge from one side of the map to another like you sometimes end up doing in Warriors titles. It's faster than even the hyper attacks in Samurai Warriors 4. This comes at a slight cost, however. The camera isn't that great to begin with and has difficulty keeping up with your ability to make fast movements and numerous jumps without pause. Coupling that with the absence of an ability to lock-on to any non-boss enemies and you run into a couple of issues.

The game is actually well-balanced for providing a challenge as well. It's never a complete steamroll in your favor and you need to think tactically about your next movement and which area is the best to take rather than just slowly coloring the map blue from your starting position outwards with little to no resistance. The main punishment for not taking that into account is time. I've had missions where I've gone in with the wrong mindset take 40+ minutes while ones that I've understood and handled strategically can take as little as 15.

As for the bad.... well, for starters, it's as repetitive as you'd expect from one of these styles of games. Kill counts can rack up to 10000 in a level pretty commonly.

My main issue, though, is with the story/setting. Before I start, I want to preface with the information that I've always found the concept behind Fate/ of a number of legendary heroes being summoned for a grand battle royale for some wish granting mcguffin to be a really awesome concept that has never quite lived up to its potential in execution, with the closest it came to realizing it being Fate/Zero.

To cut to the chase, the 'story' of this game is abhorrent shit. There's some interesting stuff going on, but I'm pretty certain that's just remainders of Fate/Extra's story shining through in terms of setting and terminology. The game shines a giant spotlight on Saber-without-humility-or-redeeming-qualities and a not-catgirl as they wage a waifu war over your nameless self-insert protagonist. Oh, and the moon, I guess. They mention that once or twice. Meanwhile, every character that is interesting or likeable gets about 5 minutes of screen across a campaign to establish that they're part of your army and you'll probably unlock them as a character to enjoy playing as in free battle mode once you've suffered through this subsection of the story. Except for the loli/idol/maid (three in one!) version of a Hungarian serial killer who gets a bit more screen time because why the fuck not? Oh yeah, and expect lots of expository internal dialogue about how incredibly perfect and amazing certain features of your current main waifu is that I suspect was written one-handed.

Basically, gameplay's fun, story's trash. Worth picking up in a couple of months after a price drop or two if you can stomach indescribable amounts of pandering or are the kind of guy that unironically and unapologetically is into all this waifu stuff, in which case, more power to you.

The characters feel way too samey in combat even for a Musou. Other than some range differences on their attacks I end up using them all in the exact same way.

Pejo

I'll get this game eventually, can't do it right now with the ridiculous Jan/Feb/March releases, but eventually.

Would have been day 1 with Diarmuid and/or Zerker Lancelot.

Still looks fun though, and I look forward to reading impressions on GAF.

Fate/Zero a best.

Inuhanyou

I continue to maintain that despite its own quality as a series, Ufotable's FZ adaption is without a doubt the second worst thing to happen to the Fate fandom. A lot of non fate fans came in without context and just started slagging off on everything not 'grimdark' or 'thought provoking' content in that specific manner.

I just wish that there was more respect for the universe at large TM has created. Even in games like this which obviously don't have the budget or ambition to show them off, there's tons of potential and bigger hints to show off

The first thing is Fate Illya

Is the gameplay more like DW/Sengoku Basara or Senran Kagura? I like musou games and I'm a huge Fate fan but I'm kinda on the fence because I absolutely loathed playing both Shinovi and Estival.

Inuhanyou

Is the gameplay more like DW/Sengoku Basara or Senran Kagura? I like musou games and I'm a huge Fate fan but I'm kinda on the fence because I absolutely loathed playing both Shinovi and Estival.

Its pretty much in the middle. I'd still say its very simplified compared to either of those, and easier as well

SMK

It's definitely more like Samurai Warriors especially with how your dashes can carry enemies with you. Characters also have musou style move-sets with unique charge moves.

I'm having fun just spamming Lu Bu's jump heavy attack with jump and dash canceling.

chrono01

Yeah, mine just arrived from Amazon as well. I pay for Prime, the least they can do is use a damn cardboard box for a limited edition! Thankfully, the damage is minimal. Only one of the corners is slightly indented (it helps that the outer box is durable). But even still, it's upsetting.

jonjonaug

Cleared the Altera route.

Pretty big spoilers:
I was expecting the game to end there...but what's happening instead is really freaking cool and weird. So good to see Archimedes' plans fall apart before they even start.

T-Rex.

Banned
I love that nearly all (if not all) the servant lines are fully voiced. It's making Nero's story a joy to play through.

Tohsaka

Are the requirements for progressing sidequests related to the Servant's level, or something? I finished two of them completely so far but the rest say that I haven't made enough progress yet or something despite the fact that I'm already two missions into the third route.

PhoEdge

Neo Member
Are the requirements for progressing sidequests related to the Servant's level, or something? I finished two of them completely so far but the rest say that I haven't made enough progress yet or something despite the fact that I'm already two missions into the third route.

When you beat a level in the story, any side story that uses that particular level should unlock. From where you mentioned you were, you should be able to fully complete the side stories of four Servants. As for the remaining ones, just keep playing through the story.

Anbec7

Managed to get the noble phantasm edition.
Besides the obligatory dlc costumes is there something else we will get? Maybe new servants?
Odd enough I always find these type of games relaxing.

I want a new but good rate fighting game

Strimei

Managed to get the noble phantasm edition.
Besides the obligatory dlc costumes is there something else we will get? Maybe new servants?
Odd enough I always find these type of games relaxing.

I want a new but good rate fighting game

No new servants, at least at present. All DLC waves thus far have been costumes.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they have more servants as DLC though.

Spoilers

I need to know what happens to Altera at the end of her Arc. That shit was fucking heart wrenching, man. It teases a "to be continued" so I REALLY hope they even do something as simple as a fuckin web comic or something to wrap that arc up. Unless it gets wrapped up in the final arc? I don't care much for Nero so I kinda stopped playing cuz Altera is true waifu

jonjonaug

Spoilers

I need to know what happens to Altera at the end of her Arc. That shit was fucking heart wrenching, man. It teases a "to be continued" so I REALLY hope they even do something as simple as a fuckin web comic or something to wrap that arc up. Unless it gets wrapped up in the final arc? I don't care much for Nero so I kinda stopped playing cuz Altera is true waifu
There's not really anything to say.
She died. Nero's second arc is about finding a way to save everyone, including Altera.

bnx

I fired this up last night and was pretty immediately lost. So now I'm trying to finish my Fate/EXTRA playthrough T_T

Yeah I have the PS4 version sitting right next to me but I don't know anything about the series.

Fate/EXTRA was only $10 bucks in the U.S. PSN. Imma try that.

There's not really anything to say.
She died. Nero's second arc is about finding a way to save everyone, including Altera.

At the end it implies the possibility of implanting memories into your passed self to change the chain of events. But I guess I should just play Nero's second Arc. Heard it has a harem ending tho. Not really a fan of that if true

Top Bottom