• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star |OT| Arturia BeenDraggin'

jonjonaug

At the end it implies the possibility of implanting memories into your passed self to change the chain of events. But I guess I should just play Nero's second Arc. Heard it has a harem ending tho. Not really a fan of that if true
Yeah that's what that route is about, just keep going.

UCBooties

Ok, I got impatient and jumped into this. I'm actually having a really hard time getting EX ratings because the bosses always show up before I can capture all the territories. And then, because they hunt you down, I can't seem to get clear of them long enough to capture the remaining territories. Any tips on how to make them take longer to show up or get them off my back once they do?

SMK

Ok, I got impatient and jumped into this. I'm actually having a really hard time getting EX ratings because the bosses always show up before I can capture all the territories. And then, because they hunt you down, I can't seem to get clear of them long enough to capture the remaining territories. Any tips on how to make them take longer to show up or get them off my back once they do?

You can try to take over the lower rank areas before you complete the matrix with a higher rank one. Also baiting the boss into an adjacent area can give you some time, and liberal use of dashes can help separate the aggressors so you can kill them while avoiding the boss.

Shizuka

This game is truly amazing. I've been playing for weeks and it's everything a Fate fan could ever ask of, fanservice-wise.

Started early this night.

Love this game dialog.

I actually changed my PS4 screenshot settings in order to capture this

Loving it.

i'm also quite happy that this game seems to take place like right after Fate extra ending

Kaizer

Banned
So if I've only watched Fate/Zero, have a casual familiarity with the characters but also happen to be a huge fan of musou games is this game worth checking out? Are the characters fun to play as & is there room for replayability? Trying to decide if I should check this out or the Attack on Titan musou game instead.

So if I've only watched Fate/Zero, have a casual familiarity with the characters but also happen to be a huge fan of musou games is this game worth checking out? Are the characters fun to play as & is there room for replayability? Trying to decide if I should check this out or the Attack on Titan musou game instead.

There's not much from Fate / Zero in this game its primarily based on Fate Extra (and Fate Extra CCC which never got a western release) with some references to Stay Night. But if you find the concept of Heroic Spirits and such interesting rather than specific characters it's good. The game play is musou, though it's different to some extent and I'm not sure how I feel about some of the changes (the territory control is interesting but it can also turn things into a real grind / spiral if you start to lose and the mini map is sort of poor for something that depends so much on territory control (it doesn't show levels or any details of rooms and the markings for significant enemies is poor (too hard to make out)).

Beat the full main story of the game. Absolutely loved the game. Doesn't beat Fate/Extra in my book but it comes damn sure close.

The scene at the end with Little Altera, Nero, Tamamo and FeMC was the most adorable thing I've seen in Fate in some fucking time.

Bombless

God, there's so much story content in this game. Not going to delve into spoilers but I reached a point where I thought it was over and then...NOPE! There's all the side story missions too...holy crap.

I bought the game blind (well, almost blind) and I'm super glad I did. The limited edition is gorgeous as well (though the inside of the box came damaged but I don't give a damn about that).

I agree with Karak's review on the gotta-go-fast mentality in this game (and all the other points to be honest). Perma-dashing through sectors, hitting here and there, putting out fires on Defense, hunting plants, running from bosses, despite the limited combo options (a musou standard) the game is still so damn fun to play.

Also buying all the costume dlc because a : I support fanservice for everyone & b : nothing says "I am Altera, Destroyer of Worlds" like a beach outfit.

I continue to maintain that despite its own quality as a series, Ufotable's FZ adaption is without a doubt the second worst thing to happen to the Fate fandom. A lot of non fate fans came in without context and just started slagging off on everything not 'grimdark' or 'thought provoking' content in that specific manner.

I just wish that there was more respect for the universe at large TM has created. Even in games like this which obviously don't have the budget or ambition to show them off, there's tons of potential and bigger hints to show off

The first thing is Fate Illya

The Nasuverse is characterized by it's grimdark nature. That's how it has always been since it's beginning. I'm not sure what you are arguing about here.

Shizuka

Just wanted to share a few screenshots I took from Best Servant:

lxeQFbN.jpg

EHTXDeH.jpg

SafMjs1.jpg

S6iUMpB.jpg

4zt5myG.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The Nasuverse is characterized by it's grimdark nature. That's how it has always been since it's beginning. I'm not sure what you are arguing about here.

That is precisely my issue. Other franchises like KnK or Tsukihime have had a majority dose of pretty dark stuff. And FSN despite having more lighter social sim elements and small talk, are generally apart of that dynamic as well.

But somehow many fans who come in from Zero castigate everything not Zero because it takes place in a high school setting, and is not 'portrayed' like Ufotable's Zero, even though Gen Urobuchi's contribution to Fate was co-written by Nasu and all these works have a similar dynamic.

The arguments against the rest of the franchise are not warrented

T-Rex.

Banned
The fan service is great. I had a big smirk on my face throughout Altera's arc cos of Gilgamesh being Gilgamesh.

Bombless

The fan service is great. I had a big smirk on my face throughout Altera's arc cos of Gilgamesh being Gilgamesh.

I always thought Gilgamesh was an asshole but he seriously shot in the top 5 of my favourite Fate characters after act 3 haha.

Edit : Also his swimsuit being totally Free!! is simply perfect, lol.

Anbec7

Wow this game has a lot of story... currently heading to the "last arc" so far it has been good... it has a lot of fanservice (expected) but the game has been really odd for a "warriors type game"
I would love for it to go back later on the RPG elements from the PSP versions..
Or give me a fighting game again!

Finished the second arc.

I really dislike neutral zones.

Archimedes is an idiot.

Gilgamesh is as expected.

Tamano is the FOXIEST

Time to go to sleep and start the third arc tomorrow

T-Rex.

Banned
I always thought Gilgamesh was an asshole but he seriously shot in the top 5 of my favourite Fate characters after act 3 haha.

Edit : Also his swimsuit being totally Free!! is simply perfect, lol.
Oh he definitely is an arsehole, but that's what makes him so great! He has the best quips.

Bombless

How would this game fare for a non-Fate fan but as someone who likes beat um ups?

The game throws a lot of terms at you since it's a direct sequel from CCC but there's an encyclopedia ingame that can explain shit. In terms of content there's plenty to do tbh but the gameplay is pure Musou. If you don't like that then this might not be for you.

Talha

Unbelievable Fate Game 10/10 amazing story told and an Amazing cast of old Characters from the Fate Stay Night Series, Gilgamesh being the best from the lot in my opinion Rider just Joins Altera like it's nothing doesn't that stomp on his pride being a king and all? But Giligamesh hes the most OP character still story wise, he joins Altera only after watching her suffer, and almost lose, than be astounished that a master was serving Altera, all to watch a masters suffering, and whenever Gilgameshs music ques in its amazing, hoping they push out more games and the original Fate Stay Night games to the NA one day

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh.

Going from Saber Route to Caster route is like a giant slap in the face.

Saber's got decent Strength, a good AoE to most of her combos for spamming grunts to get the region-bosses to appear (just forgot the name, lol), and doesn't fold like tissue paper when being hit.

Had to replay two of the earlier stages on hard difficulty as Caster to get a high enough level for some of the last fights.

Definitely a decent continuation of Fate/Extra's story though, even if a part of me isn't overly fond of the long exposition with no edit:(spoken) dialogue at all on the MC's end.

/mourns the English release of CCC.

Bombless

Ugh.

Saber's got decent Strength, a good AoE to most of her combos for spamming grunts to get the region-bosses to appear (just forgot the name, lol), and doesn't fold like tissue paper when being hit.

Had to replay two of the earlier stages on hard difficulty as Caster to get a high enough level for some of the last fights.

Definitely a decent continuation of Fate/Extra's story though, even if a part of me isn't overly fond of the long exposition with no dialogue at all on the MC's end.

Just use a code cast config with switch and wreck shit with Karna.

Ugh.

Definitely a decent continuation of Fate/Extra's story though, even if a part of me isn't overly fond of the long exposition with no edit:(spoken) dialogue at all on the MC's end.

Dash + triangle with caster

Thank me later

I'm in the middle of ARC3 .

Damn titan altera is just ...
Wow .i wasn't ready.

All 3 main servant nero , tamano , altera are freaking amazing in their own rights

And goddamn gilgamesh is such a treat .. that dialog is nearly perfect.

How to befriend a Titan in a couple of lessons :)

I just finished it.

I loved it.

From start to finish, i love everything about this game.
The most entertaining aspect of this game is without a doubt the dialog.
Congrats to the localisation Team , you did a splendid job.

Gilgamesh dialog was ON POINT ...
The nero & tamamo blanter was near perfect.

The music was really good. the movesets for each character was well done.
I'm honnestly surprised. i wasn't supposed to enjoy this game this much.

It's trully the sequel to fate Extra that i wanted, while i'm disapointed i discovered elizabeth "raw" having skipped CC , the rest of every character motivations were crystal clear.

Clap clap clap
This game was for someone like me and i loved every second of it 9/10.
I want a sequel.

I didn't expect to enjoy the third act as much as i did.
I didn't expect to take so many pictures
I have no regrets.

T-Rex.

Banned
Yeah I found myself constantly taking screenshots as well. Has there been any word on how well it's doing sales wise?

fatalexe

Bought a PS4 Slim literally for this game 2 weeks ago and I cleared the main story as well as some side stories. Absolutely a blast and it feels awesome to finally control a Servant and destroy enemies Musou style.

Only gripe I have is the lack of local co-op. Co-op for Musou games are standard which is why I'm perplexed why it's absent here.

Gilgamesh is always awesome especially after his role in FGO enlightening us of his true personality and efforts to help mankind.

Altera was the stand-out character. Truly believable character and a touching storyline.

Gameplay wise the pacing was a bit too fast. I found myself dashing 24/7 and as a result I didnt get to appreciate the stage environments and design itself or even memorize the layout. Everything is just so fast paced. I'm also not a fan of ally Servants being completely useless to defend their own territory against some random Attack Programs.

zoku88

Gameplay wise the pacing was a bit too fast. I found myself dashing 24/7 and as a result I didnt get to appreciate the stage environments and design itself or even memorize the layout. Everything is just so fast paced. I'm also not a fan of ally Servants being completely useless to defend their own territory against some random Attack Programs.
Yea, I'd have to agree with this. Plants spawn too fast and allied servants are total wimps so you end up having to rush all the time.

I found many of the stage layouts to be ill suited to fast paced dash play on the first go too, the minimaps don't reflect height properly and the design often doesn't telegraph properly where you can jump between levels.

I found many of the stage layouts to be ill suited to fast paced dash play on the first go too, the minimaps don't reflect height properly and the design often doesn't telegraph properly where you can jump between levels.

Altera stage is probably the worst , since there are 2 areas where the mini map's useless.

Other than that it wasn't that bad.

Inuhanyou

Yeah, Type:MOON has never believed in using 1 word when you a paragraph of almost purple prose will do.

Nasu : "I don't like to write a lot of explanations, because i want to allow the reader to come to conclusions themselves"

NeOak

Went to Gamestop, with a reserve down for the standard edition. Asked if, just out of curiosity, if they had the Noble Phantasm edition for PSVIta.

They had only one, and thought it was reserved till they looked it up. "Did you want it?"

Um. Yes.

The cards are really gorgeous, you guys.

Similar to me a week and a half ago. Saw it there, asked for it, impulse bought it.

Mine is still sealed though ._.

Any recommended DLC?

fatalexe

I'm curious to know what would Omega Force's version of Extella look like. In the first place, I wonder why Type Moon didn't commission Omega Force given that Famitsu Musou collaboration poll and went with Marvelous instead.

I'm curious to know what would Omega Force's version of Extella look like. In the first place, I wonder why Type Moon didn't commission Omega Force given that Famitsu Musou collaboration poll and went with Marvelous instead.

I enjoy omega force style in musou , but as this game feel like a sequel to fate extra & fate extra CC , injecting their output would have made the game way too different.
Especially when it comes to the story parts.
Extella fast paced movement and MUCH more important territory defense is his own kind of fun , the closest i could think of would be samurai warriors empires , and even then the character movement is nowhere near as fast.

I like that in extella , there are no moments where you're not expected to be in motion..make those 20+min sessions much more enjoyable

Inuhanyou

It probably would have been received better if they went with Omega force, but Marvelous were probably much cheaper to commission, and Omega have higher production values, they like to create a lot of CGI and stuff

Just finished the story mode. Well. That was pretty damn good.
End of Altera's story and all of the final arc were pure hype.

I've been #TeamSaber since EXTRA but I'm defecting over to Altera. I did not expect to like her as much as I did.

Don't suppose anyone could hook me up with an Altera avatar? >_>

i'm currently in Altera's Route, game has been a blast, I love the attack animation of every servant so far

Also, is it just me or there was an inplied sex scene in casters route? i'm referring to the "spider legs" part

Top Bottom