• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star |OT| Arturia BeenDraggin'

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is it any good as a moo-sow game? I mean, compared to the quality of say, any of the DW Gundams, Hyrule Warriors or even the Kamen Rider Battride War titles, which I quite enjoyed.

I enjoyed the game overall and it got me into Fate, but there's a couple of things about it that might sour you. Some already mentioned:

-The main story mode's cut scenes are so long and drawn out that it might as well be a visual novel with musou battles inbetween. There are four stories to play through and some stuff will repeat itself each time (purposefully- it is tied to the story).

-Don't like waifu~? Don't play this. Each main story has you playing as a female (Saber Nero, Caster Tamamo, Saber Altera, and Saber Nero again) and the cut scenes are full of them gushing all over the protagonist.

-All of the other characters are restricted to free battle and smaller story modes, with less stages to play and little story (which, depending on how you look at it, might be a good thing, lol)

-There are few enemy types in this game, and combined with re-used stages, the action can feel repetitive, even for a musou.

-There's a heavy emphasis on conquering and maintaining control of the zones on most levels. That's certainly found in other musou games, but what can get annoying is that there's a specific enemy type that will cause enemies to start populating in zones. These guys will pop up and cross over into other zones (you get a warning on the map) and start to cause them to get taken over. You can get caught in situations where these little fuckers start to pop up in more than one location, and no matter how quickly you dash over to one zone and take one out, the other will cause the other zone to get taken over, and by the time you get to that zone...another zone has been taken over. This happened to me a few times, and while I was able to beat the stages in the end, it made some battles drag on for quite a bit.

That said, I had fun with this title and even though I double-dipped on the PS4 and Vita versions, I'm getting this on Switch as well (mainly for the Japanese LE version...I want that case!) and will do some replaying, albeit skipping all the cut scenes, lol.

kingbean

Been playing the jpn version past day and its a good port. Played it only in portable mode and it is a massive leap from the vita. I honestly can't tell the frame rate, I think it's because I've been mostly playing Horizon and I'm used to 30fps with dips. It feels smoother than that either way.

Lyte Edge

Got my Japanese LE. I love how it says "Fun outside with Nero" where the case is. XD

SPoms1c.jpg

YzlZBFP.jpg

4O4T6lx.jpg

EDarkness

It's available now on European eShops it seems, same release date as Japan.

It's a bummer that we have to wait a few more days in North America. I was hoping to be playing this today, but I guess I'll have to reserve time next week. Oh, and that special edition case looks awesome. I wanted to get that, but I couldn't justify getting it from Japan.

Acid08

Banned
Anyone know how the DLC costumes get unlocked in the Switch version? I figured they would be unlocked from the jump but only a small portion of them seem to be. Unless they cut the more risque costumes from this version?

EDarkness

Anyone know how the DLC costumes get unlocked in the Switch version? I figured they would be unlocked from the jump but only a small portion of them seem to be. Unless they cut the more risque costumes from this version?

I'm wondering the same thing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I kinda want to pick this up to show support but I need to save money right now and I just bought splatoon...

deadfolk

Can you play the free battle mode, or whatever it's called without starting the campaign?

Thinking of grabbing this, but I haven't played through the original VN or Extra yet and I don't want to spoil the story (or be horribly confused because I don't know any back story).

I was thinking I could just play the free mode until I get through the other games.

Can you play the free battle mode, or whatever it's called without starting the campaign?

Thinking of grabbing this, but I haven't played through the original VN or Extra yet and I don't want to spoil the story (or be horribly confused because I don't know any back story).

I was thinking I could just play the free mode until I get through the other games.

you unlock characters to play in free mode by playing the campaign

piflavoredpie

Neo Member
I heard the PS4 version was 60 fps and Switch is 30 fps, as well as the Switch has slightly less enemies on screen than PS4. Can anyone confirm/deny if this is true, and in your opinion, do these differences particularly matter for gameplay or completion of objectives? Are there any other differences I don't know about? I know about the whole DLC stuff, so no need to comment on that.

NeOak

Finally started the game on the Switch (Vita NP ed will stay sealed I guess).

And the wedding outfit is unlocked at the start. Nice. Will probably rotate outfits for Nero.

I heard the PS4 version was 60 fps and Switch is 30 fps, as well as the Switch has slightly less enemies on screen than PS4. Can anyone confirm/deny if this is true, and in your opinion, do these differences particularly matter for gameplay or completion of objectives? Are there any other differences I don't know about? I know about the whole DLC stuff, so no need to comment on that.

I cant actually tell the store the frame rate on this by eyeballing but whatever it is is consistent and smooth and enjoyable. Enemy count is about the same as PS4, but you do lose the DoF effect. Which is no big loss really.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the base version is vita after all, trust me your not missing out no matter which version you choose

Lyte Edge

I'm assuming you get the missing ones from beating story modes, but LOL if they removed the swimsuits and such. Doesn't make sense to do that though.

kingbean

I'm assuming you get the missing ones from beating story modes, but LOL if they removed the swimsuits and such. Doesn't make sense to do that though.

I beat one story mode and it didn't seem to unlock any additional outfits. I think they removed the swimwear. I honestly didn't notice until I read this thread.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
oh hey, it's the official thread!! cross posting from the review thread

Picked this up for full price. I disagree that this is a $20 title on Switch IMHO. Well, maybe it is a $20 or so title, but that it comes with all of the DLC instantly unlocked is a great selling point. Beyond that, I am all about supporting projects like this coming over here. I doubt something like this could exist at a $20 launch MSRP, and the more of these mid-tier games we have (not AAA, not indie) the better off the hobby will be.

With that being said.. you guys saying this isn't a musou game but a Fate game.. I mean holy shit... aside from the 20 seconds at the beginning.. yeah you have like 10-15 minutes of dialogue to get through before your first action sequence.. lol.. damn.

but yeah, the UI, voice acting, story to a slight degree (not my favorite Fate premise so far), and gameplay are all just the variety of Japanese traditional gaming that I've been looking for. Also doesn't hurt that I was able to grab Nero in FGO this week.. so I am on an Umu high right now.. Not a fan of her bride costume in-game.. but the drawn version during dialogue is worth it :D

also (to a poster above) the reviews say the swimsuits are in here.. but yeah, was weird to see them not available immediately, even though like Nero bride was available from stage 1.

Yeah, it's a locked 30 on Switch but I never had it on PS4 so I can't comment about whether PS4 was a locked 60 or whether it was just targeting 60.

It's still playable, but a technical disappointment coming from Splatoon 2, which is basically 900-1080p with an unwavering 60fps, while also pushing way more visually, from more complex shaders and lighting to a greater draw distance. That difference is reflected in fan noise - my Switch is audible playing Splatoon 2 but silent on Fate/EXTELLA.

Perhaps the docked GPU clocks aren't really being used for similar reasons to Minecraft (pre-patch) and Disgaea 5. Docked mode only adds two things to Fate/EXTELLA:

-What looks like FXAA
-outlines around character models

HUD and rendering resolution still looks like 720p to me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, the game is fine technically.. but definitely nothing to write home about.. then again, neither was the PS4 game.. I would never use this to show off my Switch, but it never hinders or distracts from the gameplay.

Hopefully one of these days we get a Fate/ game designed for consoles from the ground up..

EDarkness

It's unfortunate that it's 30fps, but no drops so far. Game is smooth, though.

nubbe

Going into this game blind is proving to be.. interesting
But the camera makes the gameplay way more irritating than it would need to be... not being able to target aggressors and plants is mind blowing

EDarkness

I've put an insane amount of hours into this game so far, and I'm curious if anyone knows how to unlock more costumes? I have the basics of every character, but I haven't been able to unlock more of them. Any tips on how to do this would be helpful.

I did unlock Artoira and she's fuggin' badass. Man, she rocks. I wish she was involved in the main story in some way.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Arturia in the main scenario would have just sucked all of the air out of the room

EDarkness

Arturia in the main scenario would have just sucked all of the air out of the room

Heh, probably.

I have to admit that I HATE Tamamo's campaign. The MC is dumb as hell and it just saps my desire to play it. I totally got into Nero's campaign, though. She's such a cool character. Trying to brute force my way through Tamamo's campaign so I can get to the good stuff and back to Nero.

As a side note, the ending to Nero's campaign was depressing and creepy as hell.

BaconHat

I've put an insane amount of hours into this game so far, and I'm curious if anyone knows how to unlock more costumes? I have the basics of every character, but I haven't been able to unlock more of them. Any tips on how to do this would be helpful.

I did unlock Artoira and she's fuggin' badass. Man, she rocks. I wish she was involved in the main story in some way.

Finish the story mode.That should get you the dlc costumes on the switch (PC and PS4, you need to pay for them).
For the rest, finish each character side-story. that should get you a costume for each of them.

EDarkness

Finish the story mode.That should get you the dlc costumes on the switch (PC and PS4, you need to pay for them).
For the rest, finish each character side-story. that should get you a costume for each of them.

Hmmm...I haven't checked Nero again after I finished her campaign. I'll check in a minute. Trying to get through one of Medusa's side missions.

BaconHat

Hmmm...I haven't checked Nero again after I finished her campaign. I'll check in a minute. Trying to get through one of Medusa's side missions.

For Nero, Tamao and Altera, you need at least 10 bond points. Then you can get it with their chat.
For the rest, i'm pretty sure finishing the side-story is enough.

EDarkness

For Nero, Tamao and Altera, you need at least 10 bond points. Then you can get it with their chat.
For the rest, i'm pretty sure finishing the side-story is enough.

Okay. I have over 10 points with Nero, but I still haven't unlocked any outfits. Do I have to go back to her story in order to get the conversation?

EDarkness

Just wanted to point out that I got another outfit for Nero yesterday. After I beat her story missions, I hadn't gone back into her story to see if anything else happened. Once I did, then a new cutscene happened and I was able to get a new outfit. It looks interesting, but not sure if I'm a fan. No idea how to unlock other outfits, since there are supposed to be a few for her.

EDarkness

Beat the game yesterday and it unlocked a bunch of outfits for various characters. Looks like some characters get more love than others. Glad my girl Artoria getsa decent amount of outfits.

The story is crazy. Makes me want to play the PSP games to see how the previous story went down. I might even give Fate/Grand Order a try, too.

Blunoise

Yes, although on the Nero and Tamamo routes the protagonist is already close to their Servant when the story starts. The script is 99.9% unchanged depending on the player gender too.
Oh so u have to play different routes to get the other romances?

Vena

I've reached the Altera route, and the game has become rather boring. The only thing keeping me going is the fan service of the servants doing their thing, and getting to the end of the rather convoluted plot.

To much of the mission structure is too easy, dull, and repetitive.

Also there's too much fawning over the MC, it's kinda hilariously over the top.

Vena

I have to admit that I HATE Tamamo's campaign. The MC is dumb as hell and it just saps my desire to play it. I totally got into Nero's campaign, though. She's such a cool character. Trying to brute force my way through Tamamo's campaign so I can get to the good stuff and back to Nero.

The second campaign is dumb because you already know all the problems/secrets/betrayals behind the scenes but Tamamo is a selfish idiot and your put in the shoes of an idiot with no input. The "soul" was vacuous... Oddly fitting, I suppose.

It was a real chore to grind out.

Top Bottom