• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pejo

Anyone know what these tickets we're getting from the Christmas roulette are for? I can't find any place to cash them in.
The Special Exchange Tickets? You trade them for copies of Santa Alter after you get her, to raise her NP. You have to clear the story of the event to be able to use them.

EDarkness

Ah. That makes sense. I already have her and she's maxed out, so I guess I didn't need to do anything. At least the EXP cards were worth it.

Pejo

Christmas continues to come early this year, now for the 2nd time in November. New event starts tonight, here's the write-up for those interested.

https://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/quest_event_us_20181126.php#nav

New welfare, I haven't herad much about her which means she's probably not that good, but she sure is free.

This 1/2 AP daily thing got me a lot of progress on leveling servants. Got about 3-4 servants maxed to 80/90. Wanted to get Tristan maxed out, but those damn Knight Medals blocked me again. I hate those things.

I really need to stop leveling soon and start maxing out skills. I'm not even 10/10/10 on my Waver yet. I just want to make sure I'm maxing out the right skills on the right servants, since they're so resource intensive.

I think I"ll do the following order:

Waver - 10/10/10 - self explanatory. For both the buff strength and cooldown reduction. I should have done this a long time ago, but well....
CuZilla - 10/10/10 - my favorite servant for all sorts of challenges, cooldown reduction is key for my priority of leveling his skills so he can cockroach better.
Gilgamesh - 10/10/10 - his strengthening quest made his skills a bigger priority for him, IMO, with the instant NP gain. Also helps that he has big damage against servants, and nice hit counts/ATK. I threw a few tickets to try to NP2 him in the past banner, but only got a dupe Herc (read: rare prism).
Mash - 10/10/10 - I'm lazy here, I don't think I've leveled her skills at all yet. She has only ever been a 0 cost anchor in my team, and maybe only rarely done anything of value except exist. This will change when we finally get to level her to 80 though, and she has enough stats to actually matter.

Past that, I'm not sure what I should be concentrating on. I have almost all the good servants, but a lot of them are very situational and don't get the heavy use to justify all the mats/QP, in my opinion. I feel like for these servants 6/6/6 is more than enough for average use. My in game friends probably don't want to hear this, but oh well, lol.

Anyone else have any suggestions on some standouts?

deanote666

Whoo. Got a 4* and 5* CE on my first 10 pull. Got Ishtar, a 3* CE and 3 4* CE my 2nd 10 pull. Only a single 3* CE my 3ed pull.

In my 4 summon tickets, I got Ishtar, Kaleidoscope, and a 3* CE.

:)

EDarkness

Congrats deanote666 deanote666 ! I haven't really gotten that lucky in this game in a LONG time.

I started messing with this new Christmas event and it looks like it's gonna be a pain in the ass. I wonder why they keep doing these multi-class missions. They'll have something like 4 or 5 different classes in one mission. It's getting annoying. I thought the goal of these holiday events was that they were supposed to be fun things to mess around with to celebrate the holiday. Why make them hard and annoying?

Pejo

Whoo. Got a 4* and 5* CE on my first 10 pull. Got Ishtar, a 3* CE and 3 4* CE my 2nd 10 pull. Only a single 3* CE my 3ed pull.

In my 4 summon tickets, I got Ishtar, Kaleidoscope, and a 3* CE.

:)
Damn, quite a haul there, congrats! NP2 Ishtar and a bunch of CEs.

Congrats deanote666 deanote666 ! I haven't really gotten that lucky in this game in a LONG time.

I started messing with this new Christmas event and it looks like it's gonna be a pain in the ass. I wonder why they keep doing these multi-class missions. They'll have something like 4 or 5 different classes in one mission. It's getting annoying. I thought the goal of these holiday events was that they were supposed to be fun things to mess around with to celebrate the holiday. Why make them hard and annoying?
I feel like this is the easiest event we've had in quite a while. We don't even have the hard quests unlocked yet (time gated). It sounds like you would really really benefit from an AoE berserker core team, since that's what I clear 90% of all content with.

I know you have your own Waver, so Level up Kiyohime and Darius put your highest start with NP CEs on them (MLB halloween princess is nice and was free, Kaleidoscope is best, even better if you have two). Arash is also good for clearing a single wave and auto kills himself so you don't need to waste a switch on him. Those characters are all free and we had enough free "start with NP" event CEs that you should be able to make it work. If you have any of the 4* berserkers, even better (Fran, Tamocat, Lancelot). The general flow (without MLB Kaleido) should be to Arash the first wave, or buster them down with single attacks since they're usually less than 10k HP after buffing with waver to get the NP gain. Next wave switch your waver for friend waver and finish getting to 100 NP, then AoE Berserker that wave. 3rd wave, use the other AoE berserker (save the strongest for last as the enemies have the most HP). Use stun on the strongest enemy from the mystic code if you know they'll live. Burst down with buster if they still survive. You can also just use the MLB kaleido Raikou that I usually have up to erase a wave. (she's got an event CE right now though). This sounds complicated, but once you get a pattern that works, you can turn your brain off and just do this for most content that's 30AP or below. I beat about 90% of Camelot using 3 berserkers and a friend Waver.

Anyway, I did 3 multis, 10 tickets, and a handful of singles with spare quartz I had, got a bunch of event CE's, NP4 Lancelot berserker, rare prism Carmilla, Atalante, and Herc. I pulled Ishtar when I was rolling singles and down to 7 quartz. Nice..

EDarkness

I guess I don't get the point of playing when it comes down to something like that. One of the things I find interesting about this game is adjusting my group comps depending on the fight. Generally, they only have a couple of classes in a mission, so I can adjust from there. But recently, they've been really pushing these 4 or more class comp missions. What's the point of that? Berserkers die so damn easy, that it's not worth using them. Every time I've tried to run a berserker group, they get destroyed. I feel like the damage tradeoff isn't good. They take a lot, but don't dish out enough to justify their use, in my opinion. I got Herc the other day and I'm considering leveling him up, but after using someone's a few days ago, I don't think I'm gonna bother with that, either. I just wish these holiday fights were more fun.

Pejo

I guess I don't get the point of playing when it comes down to something like that. One of the things I find interesting about this game is adjusting my group comps depending on the fight. Generally, they only have a couple of classes in a mission, so I can adjust from there. But recently, they've been really pushing these 4 or more class comp missions. What's the point of that? Berserkers die so damn easy, that it's not worth using them. Every time I've tried to run a berserker group, they get destroyed. I feel like the damage tradeoff isn't good. They take a lot, but don't dish out enough to justify their use, in my opinion. I got Herc the other day and I'm considering leveling him up, but after using someone's a few days ago, I don't think I'm gonna bother with that, either. I just wish these holiday fights were more fun.
Herc isn't for general clearing stuff. The setup I described above is designed with taking as few turns as necessary to wave clear through AoE NP's with minimal team changes. It was to address the problem you're having with 4 or more enemy types per stage. Class advantage is always something to consider, but there's nothing saying that an archer can't clear casters etc. In those cases, you can also look at enemy weaknesses (like dragon, undead, divinity, etc) or just general ATK stat. I feel you're overthinking it a bit, because there doesn't seem to be the perfect situation you're describing. You want something more like tetris - something that fits neatly inside a set of rules, which is fine, but still you're gonna get bored with the grinding just the same once you figure out that setup. That's why I grind most of the content with Berserkers. It's like getting nothing but straight line blocks in my tetris example above.

Berserkers with exception of CuZilla and Herc are just there to blow their NP and kill all the things, and those two mentioned are more for specific uses and longer, drawn out fights. If you're trying to just use them like other classes, you will probably not have a good time.

EDarkness

I tried using berserkers again and I think it's just not for me. I don't want to be taking Zhuge to buff them up all of the time just so they can be "normal" units.

That said, I hope this free unit we get is good, because this is gonna be an insane amount of grinding and even doing the 70 quest doesn't give that many coins (or whatever it's called) to do the random pulls. I feel like other events are WAY better at this. This one just makes you grind away and odds are you'll have to go through the whole 400-500 items to get the main item. I'm not really sure I want to put that kind of time into this game anymore.

Last edited:

deanote666

Decided to use my mana prism shop summon tickets.

1st one was Ishtar.
2nd one was the 5* event CE.
3ed was junk CE.
Holding onto the other 2.

Ishtar is now NP3 and level 92!

Not sure if it helps but do FP summons until you get a 3* CE and then use tickets/SQ. My odds seem to be better when I do this.

For doing the current hardest 40AP mission with the Gil boss, I've been using a Rider, Lancer, and Friend Ishtar. Specifically Lancer Altria and Iskandar

Last edited:

Pejo

Decided to use my mana prism shop summon tickets.

1st one was Ishtar.
2nd one was the 5* event CE.
3ed was junk CE.
Holding onto the other 2.

Ishtar is now NP3 and level 92!

Not sure if it helps but do FP summons until you get a 3* CE and then use tickets/SQ. My odds seem to be better when I do this.

For doing the current hardest 40AP mission with the Gil boss, I've been using a Rider, Lancer, and Friend Ishtar. Specifically Lancer Altria and Iskandar
That's a damn nice haul off of a pittance of tickets, congrats!

You know, it's funny. I feel like GAF in general is way ahead of the curve on luck in this game (what few of us actually post in this thread), except for poor E EDarkness (sorry man!). I did all the tickets I had remaining and a single 30 pull and managed to nab Priest Amakusa in this latest banner, and a NP3 Helena. All the rest of the pulls were junk, but still that seems pretty lucky. I really wanted a good buff removal servant for upcoming challenge quests, so my new Priest is going to be used quite a bit .

deanote666

Sometimes I get insanely lucky and other times I can't get the 5* servant to save my life.

I just went through 400k FP to get 1 copy of the 3* event CE...

My lineup for the final free quest is Cleopatra, Shuten, Friend Cleopatra.

Last edited:

Pejo

Sometimes I get insanely lucky and other times I can't get the 5* servant to save my life.

I just went through 400k FP to get 1 copy of the 3* event CE...

My lineup for the final free quest is Cleopatra, Shuten, Friend Cleopatra.
How many turns does the quest take you with that setup?

I've been doing Kiyo (berserker)/Friend Waver/AssShiki/Raikou/Mash (for 0 cost)/bond farming unit, and it takes me 4-5 turns, depending on if I get a buster brave chain from Raikou in the last round.

deanote666

How many turns does the quest take you with that setup?

I've been doing Kiyo (berserker)/Friend Waver/AssShiki/Raikou/Mash (for 0 cost)/bond farming unit, and it takes me 4-5 turns, depending on if I get a buster brave chain from Raikou in the last round.

I'm averaging 6-7 turns with my setup. Mostly because I'm milking NP % the first round. No fatalities with this setup. I only have 1 of the stocking CE MLB. Still need a few more to MLB a 2nd one.

I'm up to prize box 17 now. Only just now went below 130 golden apples.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm averaging 6-7 turns with my setup. Mostly because I'm milking NP % the first round. No fatalities with this setup. I only have 1 of the stocking CE MLB. Still need a few more to MLB a 2nd one.

I'm up to prize box 17 now. Only just now went below 130 golden apples.
not bad! I should really do more loaded teams like this to actually use these servants I pull, but I always fall back to berserkers.

I had no idea the event ended tomorrow, so I've been casually farming. I need to burn a few apples tonight and make sure I get santa jalter. I still haven't even cleared the 5th box yet.

Pejo

Whew, fell asleep last night before farming much of anything. Just finished off the 5th box this morning so I can get Jalter Lily, and a CE dropped at the same time. Feels pretty good. I will grind as much as I can after work today to at least try to nab the lore from box 6.

deanote666

*cracks whip*

Get to farming, guys! Ends at 8pm PST tonight!

I'm the opposite on strategy. I rarely use berserkers due to their low survivability. I use them in the ember farming though since those are easy and got tired of changing my farming party each day (I use my other parties for farming events).

I'm on prize box 22 now. I've probably farmed at least 150m QP. Got Ishtar's skills to 7/10/6 so hard to say how much I've farmed total. Between the prize boxes and my 400k friend point summons, I've gotten at least 1300 MP.

Edit: only made it to box 27 and 5 CE drops.

Last edited:

Pejo

Well, I made it from box 5 to box 9 before maintenance. I don't want to see an anthropomorphized reindeer again for at least a year. Didn't get nearly the amount of xp embers that I wanted, only got Ishtar to level 80 and Amakusa to 52ish. It was nice to stock up on skill gems a bit though. I saw a post on reddit that a guy farmed 224,000~ socks. I can't even imagine that hell. And all those spins he has to do...

Babylonia is upon us! This one seems to be pretty challenging, like Camelot, so hold on to your butts.

Pejo

Handy little all-in-one from Reddit for the gimmick battles in Babylonia:

0c7lhuua3l221.png

Pejo

How are you guys progressing in the story? I haven't started yet >_>

Been leveling up my Amakusa and I haven't had time to sit down and dig in. I heard that this is one of the best written storylines that we get in the game, so I want to take my time with it and be able to focus.

I'm excited to try to grab Gorgon tonight, and hopefully get a Jaguar Man or two. Medusa is a personal favorite for me, and i was lucky enough to get her lancer version easily on the Gil banner. Might as well go for the trifecta.

So let's talk about Grails.

Who are you guys grailing? Do you grail just because you like a servant or because of gameplay? Do you go to 100 or stop at 90?

I'm sitting on 9 grails right now and I have no idea where I want to go with them. I put a few into Cu (lancer) to get him to 90 at the beginning of the game, but now I have almost all of the 4-5* lancers, and I use his berserker form 90% of the time that he'd be useful. I might go back to him after his NP upgrade in a year or two. I like the idea of using grails on 3* or below servants to maximize the cost/relative power ratio, but the only one I see as useful is Bedivere, who I only have at NP1.

Otherwise, for servants that I like, it's Medusa or Martha, but they're both weak AoE riders. At least Martha has a niche, but I don't honestly see myself ever using Medusa since I already have a ton of other strong AoE Riders.

Martha is also getting an animation/sprite/NP update, the NP has been released and I like it a lot. I'm not sure why this particular video loops it a few times, but here it is.

Anyways, since I'm always indecisive, I'll probably continue to sit on my grails.

EDarkness

I'm sitting on mine. I have yet to find a servant that was worthy enough for me to invest grails on. I put two on my Artoria Alter and that's it so far. Is there anyone else good enough to throw those coveted grails at?

Pejo

Just a quick notice. If you've been lazy (like me) and not done Babylonia yet, there's a few reasons to rush through it over the next week.

First, we get 30 Quartz for having the story completed by the 20th. (Merlin comes out at the same time, coincedentally)
Second, if you've beaten the story, you get the opportunity to do the live raids of the bosses coming up for Solomon. There are some REALLY great droprates on a lot of ascension materials, so it's really nice. If you don't beat the story by this point, you only fight each boss once as a story clear and cannot farm them.

I'm going to square away a little time this weekend to get through the story. I really liked Camelot and I heard this one is better, so I don't want to skip anything.

Pejo

Well, I'm over halfway done with Babylonia, what a great chapter this has been so far. One thing this game does exceptionally well is giving a true personality to the characters. They favor moving into the meme zone a bit much, but overall you definitely get a full picture of how each character feels, and the reasoning behind their actions. They do a great job of staying serious when it matters, too, and educating you on old lore/mythos.

The fights haven't been too tough yet, though I finally had to give up on my generic berserker setup that I cruised through Camelot with. There's some real incentive to mix/match your team to what you're fighting in this one. I even laughed when Gil
mentioned how shitty it was to put two strong Assassins followed by an even stronger Rider, considering that he's a Caster this time.

Based on the cheatsheet I posted above, it sounds like shit's about to get real though.

I think I should be able to beat this before the 20th to get those quartz. I have 130~ right now. Not sure how much I'm going to use to try to get Merlin, because I really want Old Man of the Mountain, and he's soon after Merlin.

We have some big name servants coming up right in a row. Merlin -> Musashi -> Hassan -> Paid gacha -> Dantes rerun -> MHXA.

Though it sucks to wait, I'm skipping the Musashi banner so I can go for her on the return banner with Tomoe.

deanote666

Just finished Babylonia myself.

You'll definitely need to move away from berzerkers. Some of the battles are hard to survive with type advantage.

Decided to do a celebratory 10 pull and got my first Gorgon. Only new 4* or higher servant I got from this 2 banners.

EDarkness

There's no way I'm finishing the story stuff. I haven't finished Camelot at all. Getting through the new one as well? They're insane. No way that's happening.

Pejo

Just finished Babylon. By far the best story so far.

Hardest fight for me was
Ushi clone fight where you don't have any class advantage/disadvantage, and are constantly getting HP drained every round.
I was down to 1500~ HP on my final 2 servants on that one. Pretty rough. Everything else I found easy as long as you planned your team correctly. I was kinda disappointed by the last 2 fights, they basically made them unable to lose. Kinda anti-climactic.
Bring on the 20th, I'm curious how this thing ends.

JohannCK

So apparently NA is hitting Solomon this year? Do remember that you have to have all the released chapters cleared to participate in the raid event which is basically infinite drops for rare materials for as long as the bosses remain alive (I'd wager that NA has less players than JP which might mean the bosses will last a bit longer, though).

Pejo

So apparently NA is hitting Solomon this year? Do remember that you have to have all the released chapters cleared to participate in the raid event which is basically infinite drops for rare materials for as long as the bosses remain alive (I'd wager that NA has less players than JP which might mean the bosses will last a bit longer, though).
People are expecting we'll have about 8-10 hours per boss to farm. Barbatos will probably go down the fastest.

EDarkness

Maybe if you burn some apples, skip all the story, and don't need any command seals...

I tried getting through Camelot, but I really don't like the fights at all. The Gawain fight pissed me off a lot and I can't even imagine what the Tristan/Lancelot fights are gonna be like. I just have no real interest in that part of the game. I'll hold out until the next event happens. Maybe do some runs to get some EXP cards to level up some characters I've been neglecting.

Pejo

I tried getting through Camelot, but I really don't like the fights at all. The Gawain fight pissed me off a lot and I can't even imagine what the Tristan/Lancelot fights are gonna be like. I just have no real interest in that part of the game. I'll hold out until the next event happens. Maybe do some runs to get some EXP cards to level up some characters I've been neglecting.
If you need particular tips or friend units, don't hesitate to shout out here, I'd be glad to help out. You're definitely not going to make the free quartz/crazy raid material drop things now if you're still in camelot, but we can definitely work on getting you caught up.

deanote666

Yeah... Camelot does kind of drag with a lot of their battle specific bonuses for the bosses.

Got my Merlin with 90 SQ. Now do I want to NP2...?

Pejo

Yeah... Camelot does kind of drag with a lot of their battle specific bonuses for the bosses.

Got my Merlin with 90 SQ. Now do I want to NP2...?
Congrats! I picked him up too, but boy were my pulls bad up to him. Got spooked twice by Nito and Helena. That felt pretty awful.

This last chapter's pretty fun so far. My bond 10 Herc is just destroying these raids. The drops are glorious.

deanote666

Congrats! I did one yolo pull after getting Merlin and got a silver to gold upgrade on a saber. And it was d'eon...

What one are you doing? All I've been getting are gems from III. Trying to get more feathers.

Pejo

Congrats! I did one yolo pull after getting Merlin and got a silver to gold upgrade on a saber. And it was d'eon...

What one are you doing? All I've been getting are gems from III. Trying to get more feathers.
I needed gallstones for Gorgon, so I started on Sabnock, switched over to the one that drops scales/claws since. After that one's dead I'll just do whichever one is closest to dying lol. Man I wish Barbatos lasted a bit longer than he did. I was at work or asleep almost the whole time.

Pejo

The only thing I wish about this raid event is that one or all of the bosses dropped embers too. I still have so many servants to level up.

deanote666

Same. I only got my Merlin to level 53.

Bah. Only got about 25 feathers out of around 80 rounds on III....

Got some decent QP though...

Last edited:

Pejo

Same. I only got my Merlin to level 53.

Bah. Only got about 25 feathers out of around 80 rounds on III....

Got some decent QP though...
I'm almost done getting all of my servants to bond 5, after that I'm swtiching to QP CE's. This is a great time to farm it

deanote666

Did a Christmas 10 pull and the first servant on the first pull was a Merlin. I didn't see gold sparks so I looked away, then down again, and saw Merlin so it might have been a silver to gold upgrade too!

Did a couple more 10 pulls on Babylon part 2 and got my first Quetzalcoatl and Ibaraki in the same pull.

Going to skip Enkidu since he'll be back in Ereshkigal's Banner.

At least the remaining pillar is easy.

Finally got my first bond 10 servant from it. Arjuna

Last edited:

Pejo

Nice pulls! Back to the ember mine you go! Man, bond 10 Arjuna must wreck this boss. I'm really looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the "season 1" story. I really like how they've brought back all the servants for this pillar event, and I remain unspoiled with the rest of the story. I get the feeling something bad's going to happen to poor Mash though.

deanote666

Nice pulls! Back to the ember mine you go! Man, bond 10 Arjuna must wreck this boss. I'm really looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the "season 1" story. I really like how they've brought back all the servants for this pillar event, and I remain unspoiled with the rest of the story. I get the feeling something bad's going to happen to poor Mash though.

I never left the ember mines, lol.

Arjuna only does 438k damage against the boss with my buffs. Still can't get it under 2 turns yet. Debating on switching his kaleidoscope for his bond 10 CE.

Buffs include: Arjuna NP4, Arjuna's buster buff level 10, Ishtar's attack up level 7, both of (friend) Merlin's abilities, Zhuge's level 10 attack up, kaleidoscope, level 9 battle suit attack up, Zhuge's NP - Ishtar's NP - Arjuna's NP.

Last edited:

Pejo

I never left the ember mines, lol.

Arjuna only does 438k damage against the boss with my buffs. Still can't get it under 2 turns yet. Debating on switching his kaleidoscope for his bond 10 CE.

Buffs include: Arjuna NP4, Arjuna's buster buff level 10, Ishtar's attack up level 7, both of (friend) Merlin's abilities, Zhuge's level 10 attack up, kaleidoscope, level 9 battle suit attack up, Zhuge's NP - Ishtar's NP - Arjuna's NP.
Don't forget Ox King CE, it gives a 15% buster buff to all allies on the field and sticks around if you swap them/they die for 3 turns. I can 1 round any of these bosses with Bond 10 Herc provided he gets any Brave Chain. I've been swapping out 2 servants to get everyone to bond 5, and my core team is just:

Herc/Friend Merlin/Waver/Misc 3rd buffer. I was using my Merlin until he got bond 5, now I'm using Quetz. Using Sumo on Herc, Ox King on Waver, the rest of the CEs are just bond/QP increasers.

deanote666

Finished the last singularity.

All I have to say is have fun with part 12.5.... I had to use 4 Command Seals (did it right before the daily seal reset) and 1 SQ. Beat it but felt dirty...

Edit: LOTS of free SQ!!! Got Lancer Saber from the 5* guarantee. NP2 now. Got the new saber on the 4th 10 pull.

Last edited:

EDarkness

Bought all of the tickets to use on the 2019 New Years banner...no luck. Not that I expected any, but I guess you never really know how it all will work out. Gone a long time without a new 5* unit. I don't know how you guys do it, honestly.

Pejo

Thanks for this, interesting read!

Well, tonight we get old man Hassan finally. I have 90 SQ and 11 tickets ready. Not a lot of resources, so here's hoping I get lucky. It kinda sucks, all the servants I want are front-loaded this year, based on the estimated schedule. I'd like to try for Dantes again, and then MHXA. Hopefully I'll get the day 600 bonus quartz in between there.

Pejo

Looks like I was off by a day, lol. Man I'm going to miss 1/2 AP embers and 2x success rates. I leveled up a ton of servants during this, though not as much as I wanted. I just can't grind in this game as much as I'd want to. it's a very slow grind compared to other games that I play that have an "auto" mode, plus you can't skip NP animations and servant swaps/skill animations take a really long time when you add them all up. This would be the perfect game for macros on an emulator, but well...

EDarkness

I not even gonna talk about my experience in pulling for stuff recently. I even paid for a guaranteed 5* unit...I don't know how it's possible to be disappointed by that...yet, here we are. So sad.

Pejo

I not even gonna talk about my experience in pulling for stuff recently. I even paid for a guaranteed 5* unit...I don't know how it's possible to be disappointed by that...yet, here we are. So sad.
What'd you get on the guaranteed SSR? i went lancer and got two Enkidus and a Vlad (lancer), and Jaguar man NP4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom