• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Father hires hitmen to kill son's virtual character

How do you get your mooching kid to quit playing video games? A father in China came up with a clever solution. His son, 23-year-old Xiao Feng, scored poor grades in high school because of his gaming addiction, and things didn't get any better after he graduated and wouldn't stick with any jobs. So dad reportedly hired "virtual assassins" to kill Feng every time he logged in to his favorite online games, hoping it would compel his son to finally put down the controller. Feng was quoted as saying that he's not addicted to games — he just hasn't bothered getting a job yet because he's waiting for the right one to come along.

Perhaps more appropriate in gaming forum but the video game is only part of the issue at hand so I'll post it here in OT. Internet addiction is a very real thing and something that is probably overlooked quite often. Its unclear if he actually suffers from an addiction or if hes just lazy, but I can speak from personal experience somewhat here. Though mental health is often overlooked in America and still struggles to shake stigma of appearing weak if you have mental illness. I'm pretty sure I spent way more time playing Everquest when I was in college than was healthy. Sometimes finding success in games takes the place of success in the real world and this virtual pleasure principle takes hold.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
this father is enabling someone else's kid to keep playing the game though. maybe that hitman also plays too much given his level being high enough to kill another addict.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The hitman:

y8jgp.jpg

soultron

Banned
this father is enabling someone else's kid to keep playing the game though. maybe that hitman also plays too much given his level being high enough to kill another addict.
But what if one of the assassins actually turns out to be a female super model and then the kid falls in love with her and they get married, have kids, and he becomes a deadbeat dad?

Wait a second. Nevermind. Yeah, this may be a lose-lose situation for all parties involved.

addik

But what if one of the assassins actually turns out to be a female super model and then the kid falls in love with her and they get married, have kids, and he becomes a deadbeat dad?

For some reason, I'd actually watch a movie about that.

What the dad is doing reminds me of that viral Facebook post about the mom giving an Iphone to her 18-year-old son but is not allowing him to take it anywhere. If that's the case, why even buy an Iphone?

Then again, the son is 23-years old here. I say just let him be. Sure, he'll probably get deadbeat jobs (or none even), but it's his life and he is an adult himself. He's probably happy with his life just playing computer games.

antitrop

I am so happy this story exists. I think that's awesome of the father to do. Make it interesting, keep a longer lasting impression on the son. He'll fucking REMEMBER that shit.

Valnen

he's 23

kick his ass to the street and he'll get a job pretty damned quick

Nah, it's China, he'd probably be dead within a week. So instead of teaching your child responsibility you just murdered him. Most parents can't let their kids go homeless in good conscience anyway. Not if they actually love them.

Klocker

Nah, it's China, he'd probably be dead within a week. So instead of teaching your child responsibility you just murdered him. Most parents can't let their kids go homeless in good conscience anyway. Not if they actually love them.

well then I wouldn't want to have a kid there

why give up your life so some lazy ass can mooch off of you for years and years or for you to be shamed, ridiculous

almost as bad here (USA) with some codependent parents, almost.

Top Bottom