• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fauci: Closing for Too Long Could Cause 'Irreparable Damage'

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Interesting. It is a study by JP Morgan so they could have bias.

But I wonder now if in November the narrative will change and Trump will go from not acting fast enough to acting to strict and closing down the country and causing enormous economic harm

entremet

Dec 6, 2008
This fucking guy says different shit daily.

Fuck him.
Not really. He's a scientist. Scientists update their thinking on new evidence.

I feel like many didn't understand the lockdowns lol. They were to build capacity, maintain the hospital system, and plan for worst-case scenarios. It can still come back by in the fall, we don't know.

We barely know anything about COVID-19 still.

However, one thing I do agree with is that long term shutdowns are just not sustainable--economically and mentally.

That said, we should remain vigilant and look at the data as it comes in.

A good example is that there's a theory of stuff like Vitamin D levels affecting the virus's lethality. Look at Florida for example, they've had fewer restrictions than other states, comparable population size to a New York, but fewer infections and deaths.

It's still a new thing.

Thats what Rand Paul said and got shit on.
He never gave economic advice. He gave advice on containing the virus. He's not a policymaker. He's a subject matter expert.

Elected officials still have the final say.

NYC Mayor DeBlasio infamously rejected his department of health's early advice on the virus and NYC got fucked.

SF Mayor London Breed heeded the advice of the experts and SF's death toll was a fraction of NYC.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

I feel like many didn't understand the lockdowns lol. They were to build capacity, maintain the hospital system, and plan for worst-case scenarios. It can still come back by in the fall, we don't know.

However, one thing I do agree with is that long term shutdowns are just not sustainable--economically and mentally.

A good example is that there's a theory of stuff like Vitamin D levels affecting the virus's lethality. Look at Florida for example, they've had fewer restrictions than other states, comparable pollution size to a New York, but fewer infections and deaths.

It's still a new thing.
I like the points you made, but a lot of people have misconstrued the lock downs to mean lock down until there is 0% risk and 100% cure for COVID.

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States

A good example is that there's a theory of stuff like Vitamin D levels affecting the virus's lethality. Look at Florida for example, they've had fewer restrictions than other states, comparable pollution size to a New York, but fewer infections and deaths.

It's still a new thing.
Yes. I think it's safe to say this virus responds poorly to sunshine and high humidity. We have plenty of that here in South Florida. I'm out in it everyday. And I drink a glass of milk a day to boot. 😊

entremet

Dec 6, 2008
Yes. I think it's safe to say this virus responds poorly to sunshine and high humidity. We have plenty of that here in South Florida. I'm out in it everyday. And I drink a glass of milk a day to boot. 😊
The thing is, even in NYC, it was clustered to specific locations as well. I live in NYC. It wasn't like the whole town was Europe during the black death lol.

There's also talk about two different strains. NYC got the European strain while the West coast got another. Again, we just don't enough about this thing.

And for conservatives, Trump agreed to the lockdowns!

But I think that all stripes know that indefinite lockdowns aren't healthy. It's not healthy for the economy and it's not healthy for people's mental health.

Last edited:
Reactions: onewingedhoneybee

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
The thing is, even in NYC, it was clustered to specific locations as well. I live in NYC. It wasn't like the whole town was Europe during the black death lol.
Yeah. The county I live in was considered one of the hot zones. But where my dad lives, they only had one confirmed case. NYC scares the shit out of me. Too many people. God help you all if there ever is something like the black plague there.

Reactions: onewingedhoneybee

entremet

Dec 6, 2008
Yeah. The county I live in was considered one of the hot zones. But where my dad lives, they only had one confirmed case. NYC scares the shit out of me. Too many people. God help you all if there ever is something like the black plague there.
Well one would hope this is a learning experience for everyone.

There are some good things that have come out, such as the rise of remote work and if commutes are just a waste of time and money.

I don't think all jobs can be remote obviously. But it would better for many if 2 days out of the 5 days of the workweek most could work from home, especially knowledge workers. Would be better for traffic as well.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Isn't he supposed to be the doctor? What's he doing giving economic advice?
I’m losing some of my faith in Fauci, but I assume in this case he’s talking about the health issues that will arise from the lockdown (addiction, suicide, domestic violence, and depression, that type of thing), and if he is I absolutely agree with him: there are going to be people who die from this near depression, there is a definite health component to the lockdown and a lot of it is not good.

Last edited:

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I’m losing some of my faith in Fauci, but I assume in this case he’s talking about the health issues that will arise from the lockdown (addiction, suicide, domestic violence, and depression, that type of thing), and if he is I absolutely agree with him: there are going to be people who die from this near depression, there is a definite health component to the lockdown and a lot of it is not good.
Oh, come on. Health and well being can be applied to anything. He was talking economics. Don't throw Rand under the bus.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Oh, come on. Health and well being can be applied to anything. He was talking economics. Don't throw Rand under the bus.
The article is completely vague as to what he was citing — money or health. But other doctors have already gone on record concerned that we will lose more lives as a result of the lockdown than the virus itself. The economics and well being are tied at the hip. We see this play out every time there is an economic catastrophe like the one we’ve just forced our people to take part in. People will die from it, and I have to assume that the old doctor was talking about that and not his fucking 401k portfolio.

Last edited:

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
I have very little doubt that we're going to look back on this little adventure in insanity a decade from now and universally pan the strict lockdowns as a terrible idea that did far more harm than good.
I was certain of this a month or two ago. But there's still that mainstream narrative of "if we didn't do this we would have had millions of deaths in the US, for serious" that most people seem to believe. Hopefully enough info/data comes out over time to dispel that notion. This should take it's rightful place in history as the most ridiculous overreaction and mass hysteria in modern times, possible of all time.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
What do people in old age homes have to do with lock downs?

EU = 50% of deaths in old age homes
Canada = 50% of deaths in old age homes
USA = 30-40% of deaths in old age homes

As far as USA I think its a bit low, but even if its accurate, Like 70% of the deaths are in the blue states around NY which all have really high death rates in senior residence, like 70-80%.

The lock down didn't make a difference for these people, in reality it made it worse since the conditions in these places got really bad in the chaos the fear created. Where I live we had homes abandoned with residents dieing in their own shit.

We could of saved way more lives by taking care of the old age homes and the seniors than these lock downs that caused economic ruin.

I support the mitigation measures, I wear a mask, but what happened in seniors homes was the biggest mistake and the reason why things look so bad in the "west". I would bet if you did some investigative work and every country with low deaths probably did not have major outbreaks in old age homes, and the worse off countries probably had more and more issues in these homes.

Last edited:
Reactions: prag16

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
The article is completely vague as to what he was citing — money or health. But other doctors have already gone on record concerned that we will lose more lives as a result of the lockdown than the virus itself. The economics and well being are tied at the hip. We see this play out every time there is an economic catastrophe like the one we’ve just forced our people to take part in. People will die from it, and I have to assume that the old doctor was talking about that and not his fucking 401k portfolio.
Well, first of all, you can't just muddy the waters like that. That's cheating. Second, he was talking economics and that's why Rand brought it up. He should stick to medicine and let Trump... "talk" economics.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Faucci is a clown, dude is all over the place. Remember when he was telling people not to wear masks? Lmao
They’ve all been, and that’s why every time I hear someone say, “Let’s listen to the epidemiologists” it drives me nuts because it’s clear none of them know what to do definitively. They're just running with their gut most of the time and that's why we've had all these contradictions.

Plague Doctor

Mar 23, 2015
Shit.

Who do I listen to now?

Who is saying the craziest amount of lockdown time but still had cred with most amount of people? Can we atleast make it to April of 2022?

I need to know!

My expert of choice is saying things I don't like. He's turned into an irresponsible lunatic in the matter of seconds I just read this news. We already knew he was a hack.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
My county is now around 200 deaths in 2 months. Most of those are in nursing homes. We have over 500k people.

Still fully locked down with no justifiable reason. I haven't come across a single person who isn't pissed. Even the diehard Democrats are starting to turn.
Not to pry, but what state are you in? All the polls keep going on about how the governors implementing the most asinine policies (like the gretchin banning buying seeds) are at the height of popularity and are beloved.

Faucci is a clown, dude is all over the place. Remember when he was telling people not to wear masks? Lmao
And yet everyone seems to trust him because he wears a suit and glasses smh

No memory of how many times he was dead wrong, and no mention of his involvement with the Wuhan lab.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Sep 17, 2005
My county is now around 200 deaths in 2 months. Most of those are in nursing homes. We have over 500k people.

Still fully locked down with no justifiable reason. I haven't come across a single person who isn't pissed. Even the diehard Democrats are starting to turn.
Australia is 100 deaths for 25 million people. Sounds like your county has done a trash job of containing things 🤷‍♂️

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Not to pry, but what state are you in? All the polls keep going on about how the governors implementing the most asinine policies (like the gretchin banning buying seeds) are at the height of popularity and are beloved.

And yet everyone seems to trust him because he wears a suit and glasses smh

No memory of how many times he was dead wrong, and no mention of his involvement with the Wuhan lab.
PA. I believe Wolf is polling real well. Not sure sure how or why though. I know my personal experiences don’t mean much, but I live in a blue area and I see people get more pissed off at the lockdowns each passing week.

Australia is 100 deaths for 25 million people. Sounds like your county has done a trash job of containing things 🤷‍♂️
I am close to NYC. They did do a really bad job protecting the retirement homes here though.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Well, first of all, you can't just muddy the waters like that. That's cheating. Second, he was talking economics and that's why Rand brought it up. He should stick to medicine and let Trump... "talk" economics.

I don’t think he was.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Dec 5, 2008
The doctors change their tune when they realize that a ton of them are going to be unemployed when no one has jobs and health insurance and no one is doing elective surgeries.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

Sign

Jun 4, 2012

Interesting. It is a study by JP Morgan so they could have bias.

But I wonder now if in November the narrative will change and Trump will go from not acting fast enough to acting to strict and closing down the country and causing enormous economic harm
That is exactly what is going to happen, and you know it. All the same hypocritical idiots who sperged about Trump banning China as racist now cry that he didn't declare martial law and ban everything. It will 100% happen.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Could? It has already caused irreparable damage. Lots of small businesses have been wiped from the face of the Earth. Most of them aren't coming back.

Reactions: Piku_Ringo

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Fuck you Fauci. If only you had had an iota of perspective when it could have made a difference. It's probably about money for Fauci now too. His involvement in this is riddled with conflicts of interest, and he is positioned to greatly benefit financially from COVID... but only if there's still an economy at all once the dust settles. If this becomes Mad Max world that'll do Fauci no good. Could explain his shift here.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
This guy is a joke. A serious person would have brought this up early on, weighted it against the costs of the lockdown, and engaged with it throughout. In fact, plenty of nobodies out there brought it up (including me) only to get shouted down by the doom-mongers, including him. Trump should have fired him months ago, although the REEE-ing would have been unheard of.

The reality is we knew within 2-3 weeks of the lockdown that the worst was over and our systems could handle it, we should have been plotting the end of it back then - that was 7 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: prag16

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
I have very little doubt that we're going to look back on this little adventure in insanity a decade from now and universally pan the strict lockdowns as a terrible idea that did far more harm than good.
The lockdowns brought the reproduction rate (R) of the virus to below 1, stopping it from spreading exponentially and preventing hospitals from getting completely overwhelmed. And nowhere do I see Fauci saying that we shouldn't have implemented a lockdown.

The point is that once R is below 1, we have scope for re-opening, if we know what policies will keep it that way and if we have the necessary testing infrastructure. And any decision to continue the lockdown must be offset against the massive economic and social costs it creates, as well as the potential economic costs of a second wave. So it is not as simple as lockdowns = bad, or lockdowns = good. We have to make decisions under uncertainty with imperfect information, and only with hindsight will we know if they were correct or not.

With perfect information we would know exactly how the coronavirus was being transmitted and could keep R below 1 at all times while minimizing the economic impact. Maybe we will have that information in 5 years time.

Reactions: Trey

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014
The only thing we truly knew when this hit the US was that the elderly population was the most at risk and we saw how that turned out. Nov 3 can’t come soon enough.

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I don't hate Fauci, he's just another person in the President's team. His role is to prioritise human life above all other concerns. Just as I'm sure there is a heartless motherfucker on that team who would sacrifice a quarter of the population if it would keep America dominant.

I hate the media who have tried to turn Fauci into the sole arbiter of American policy.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
They’ve all been, and that’s why every time I hear someone say, “Let’s listen to the epidemiologists” it drives me nuts because it’s clear none of them know what to do definitively. They're just running with their gut most of the time and that's why we've had all these contradictions.
Global pandemics don't exactly have a simple, universal solution.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
This guy is a joke. A serious person would have brought this up early on, weighted it against the costs of the lockdown, and engaged with it throughout. In fact, plenty of nobodies out there brought it up (including me) only to get shouted down by the doom-mongers, including him. Trump should have fired him months ago, although the REEE-ing would have been unheard of.

The reality is we knew within 2-3 weeks of the lockdown that the worst was over and our systems could handle it, we should have been plotting the end of it back then - that was 7 weeks ago.
That's exactly right. By the first week of April, second at the latest, it had become obvious that the crazy parabolic curve and exponential growth many feared was absolutely not going to happen. We are about a month behind schedule on reopening, if we were REALLY "following the data" etc.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I don't hate Fauci, he's just another person in the President's team. His role is to prioritise human life above all other concerns. Just as I'm sure there is a heartless motherfucker on that team who would sacrifice a quarter of the population if it would keep America dominant.

I hate the media who have tried to turn Fauci into the sole arbiter of American policy.
Ya thats my biggest gripe. That he was raised above everyone else and the only thing that mattered was what Fauci said. Everything had to have Faucis stamp of approval.

Like you said and he has said he is there for health recomendations. He wasnt weighing economic costs his job was always save everyone. But he was only one part of the team.

Birx started shuting the media down so Fauci was supposed to be the #resistence but too bad for them he wasnt going to be a media lefty puppet

Reactions: Torrent of Pork