Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Jul 18, 2004
Chauncy Talon said:

Fighting on a tv set. OOOOOOOOOOO YEA!
Eff yeah... this one!

Also, King of Fighters 97 is very nostalgic with me, and has great presentation and design. Love the ladies that hold the round cards.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Apr 21, 2008
Argentina
Kuran said:
Eff yeah... this one!

Also, King of Fighters 97 is very nostalgic with me, and has great presentation and design. Love the ladies that hold the round cards.
KOF 97 has a superb presentation.

2D 4 lyfe!
Pixels rules!! Vertex drool!!
* Hugs The Take Out Bandit *

Dec 5, 2008
Sweden
Emperor Bohe said:
I gotta co-sign on the Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the Darkstalkers 3 stages, those are all amazing visuals. Capcom definitely hit a mark during the mid/late nineties. The stages from Street Fighter III: New Generation are all works of art. My favourites:

Alex's Stage:

Ryu's Stage:

Sean's Stage:
I'd love to see these stages in 3S Online Edition.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sep 30, 2004
Georgia
baconmcshig.tumblr.com
Never noticed that "Mega Man in New York" graffiti before, hahaha! Looks like Victor's "dad" in the other one. Man, I love all the cameos in old Capcom backgrounds.

It's a dog of a game, but SVC Chaos had a few splendid backgrounds- this forest one is stunning:

Speaking of forest, here's a great one from Guilty Gear:

And I love the feeling of pandemonium in this KOF94 one. Probably helps that the city in the back looks like it's on fire.

Jan 2, 2007
Seventh Ring
The Take Out Bandit said:
I have a Saturn thank you very much.

In time, as you did with the beauty of KoF, you'll realize I was right all along. :D
Wait, what? I was always excited for the HD KoF's, I was just never much of a KoF player. KoF XIII reminded me of the the solid, responsive feeling and fun game play experience I get when I play 3rd Strike moreso than any modern fighter I'd played, so I had to goosh.

Jan 2, 2007
Seventh Ring
Shig said:
Never noticed that "Mega Man in New York" graffiti before, hahaha! Looks like Victor's "dad" in the other one. Man, I love all the cameos in old Capcom backgrounds.
Haha, me neither. American Mega Man is a kid with a handgun. Anyone else notice these American stages are mostly run-down shit holes? Damn, how you really feel about us, Japan?

Jul 18, 2004
I'm sorry but the Guilty Gear ones are so ugly to me. Can't really describe why...

Could someone post some backgrounds from Golden Axe: The Duel?

Waku Waku 7:

World Heroes Perfect:

Jun 8, 2004
Africa Stage in Capcom VS SNK 2: Dune buggys flying over your characters are aweeeesome! Wish I could find a decent picture.

Also, I think every KoF12 stage was amazing. So much detail, probably why there are only like 6 of em.

Aug 31, 2010
N4Us said:
The only problem with this stage it's too clearly CG "rotoscoped" in pixelart, a la Donkey Kong Country. I was never a fan of this type of style, because it's too... how can I say it... "uncanny valled".

And only I see the errors in tiling in these SvC gifs (the big rotating whells in the other background are jarring...)?

Jul 1, 2009
NeoGAF
www.youtube.com
I'm glad this thread has been able to remind people of the potential of great pixel art as demonstrated by the master 2D artists of Capcom and SNK at their peak in the late 90's.

I still hope, from the bottom of my heart, that I will see a resurgence of this type of 2D art in games during my lifetime. I'm realistically doubtful, but also passionately hopeful.

One thing that always confused me, however, is how much of a step back Third Strike's backgrounds were from the first two Street Fighter III entries.

The KOF series wins in terms of sheer spectacle (day/night cycles, crowds of people going apeshit... etc.), while I think the Last Blade games had some of the most atmospheric backgrounds.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
May 18, 2009
www.sabworks.com
Jun 25, 2004
Shig said:
And I love the feeling of pandemonium in this KOF94 one. Probably helps that the city in the back looks like it's on fire.
helps that the city in the back is straight from Akira. Scanned from this frame in fact.

i instantly noticed when the game came out because i was remaking the exact same Akira frame pixel by pixel on Amiga 1200 for a 2D beat em up (never released, but i had 3 backgrounds i'd like to show you, shame they are on an amiga floppy which i doubt can still be read).

maybe not 'secret that blows your mind' material, but still interesting.

off topic, the same image was obviously an inspiration for Last Resort too