• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
ScHlAuChi said:
So is there a website that collects all those backgrounds?

I wish, its all very scattered. Some focus on SNK, some Capcom most are incomplete.

The challenge comes because you cant really rip them, somebody has to manually make screengrabs and rebuild them in Photoshop. Newer games are thankfully an exception since companies like to pimp their shit out and tend to display them somewhere (like when all the Blazblue backgrounds were given out as reference for an art contest)

Aku-Audi

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Battle K-Road, which features probably the best last stage of all time.

It goes from this:
battle-k-1.png

to this:
battle-k-2.png

when you fight the last boss, which is a bear that shares movesets with Ryu from Street Fighter II

Aku-Audi said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Battle K-Road, which features probably the best last stage of all time.

It goes from this:
battle-k-1.png

to this:
battle-k-2.png

when you fight the last boss, which is a bear that shares movesets with Ryu from Street Fighter II
That's awesome.

MisterHero

This thread made me realize that my favorite backgrounds come from SFII and Samurai Shodown, SFII's especially. They were atmospheric and suited their characters for the time they were made.

the craftsmanship in many other games can't be denied though

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kof95chinabg.gif

Garougato1bg.gif

Lb2forestofforgetfulnessbg.gif

Kof 95, Garou, and Last Blade 2. They all reminded me so much of each other (especially the last 2) that I always felt like I was seeing the evolution of this area in SNK's personal world. Still think LB's Kagami is a Kusanagi bloodline member! Just as Zantetsu and Eiji Kisaragi are implied to be related.

This was also one of my favorite moving stages. I love the Intro for it, and I never really figured out how any of the AoF characters picked places like THIS for their fights. They never made sense, but they were among my favs in older KoFs.

Kof95mexicobg.gif

Shout out to Hon Fu's stage in Fatal Fury 3 (I think it was 3?), the one that's on a moving platform over a chinatown construction zone or something. It felt exactly like the odd-ball kinda spot you'd see Jackie Chan fight, and I still think his theme is fantastic, and I always smiled when the stage came up in rotation.

Can't find an image of it, unfortunately :(

TheOGB

Banned
Looked at every abso-friggin-lutely gorgeous background in this thread and didn't notice Cammy's Alpha 3 background.

pAeAI.png

ScHlAuChi

Raging Spaniard said:
I wish, its all very scattered. Some focus on SNK, some Capcom most are incomplete.

The challenge comes because you cant really rip them, somebody has to manually make screengrabs and rebuild them in Photoshop. Newer games are thankfully an exception since companies like to pimp their shit out and tend to display them somewhere (like when all the Blazblue backgrounds were given out as reference for an art contest)

Looks like there is a site - but only works in IE (or via IE-Tab in FF)
http://www.emugif.com/

pretty awesome :)

These two from Ninja Masters are one of my favs:
fh.gif

ly.gif

Rocwell

Rocwell said:
Man this thread is awesome, I wanted to post the MVC bathhouse stage but my google fu has failed me. The best I could find was this partial shot from some mugen forum...http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Inferno76/bathfull.png[IMG]

SNK really makes the best backgrounds though, that plaza with the rain in particular is absolutely stunning.[/QUOTE]
So Maj linked this thread on his [URL="http://combovid.com/?p=4655"]Combovid blog[/URL] and [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/error00001"]error1[/URL] actually posted the background I was talking about in all its full glory!

[IMG]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7600/longbackground2.png

So yeah, Gaf > Internet > Gaf

Man, wtf at some of these TMNT backgrounds. Why have a burger when you can have steak?

Edit: The one most recently posted gets a pass. Any stage with city lights in the background is good.

patrickthehedgehog said:
I love the pigmies and the baboon, especially since I'm a Brazilian and know there aren't any of those here. I've always had the theory that they were in the helicopter and escaped when it crashed.

What makes the SNK backgrounds so great to me is that there is always a crowd of interesting sprite characters doing funny movements. It's epic when there are lots of spectators watching the brawls. I feel this was missing in 3rd Strike and SF4 with the exception of a few stages. There is always a huge crowd in most of the SNK backgrounds starting from Fatal Fury.

There is no doubt that that SF2 stages are the most memorable though. I love the details like Vega climbing the fence. It adds so much to the character.

Even though I'm not really into fighting games, this thread brings a tear to my eye. Pixel art rocks and we all know it.

Personally, I've always been a fan of this version of Ryu's "classic" stage, for some reason, the recolor gives it a "classier" feel in my book.

Noksh.gif

Wow, I missed so many SNK games. I didn't get into SNK games until kof98 and garou in 2005, but they did some amazing work! I mean Capcom has some iconic stuff here but SNK just destroys.

Grzi

One of the best threads ever. So much memories.
Almost everything I would've posted has been posted already, but check this out:

Garouhotaru1bg.gif

Anyone else thinks that the flags look a bit like the Neogaf logo?

Grzi said:
One of the best threads ever. So much memories.
Almost everything I would've posted has been posted already, but check this out:

Garouhotaru1bg.gif

Anyone else thinks that the flags look a bit like the Neogaf logo?
Hotaru had a rad character intro on this stage.

Murrah

Banned
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
As a comic book nerd I always appreciated the last stage in Marvel Super Heroes:

comic7a.png

ripped straight from the Infinity Gauntlet:

infinity_gauntlet_event12.jpg

Props to you, I'm surprised yours is the first mention of Marvel Super Heroes I've seen; the animations were really well done, and I remember thinking Dr. Doom's stage was particularly awesome once the ship surfaced

Murrah said:
Props to you, I'm surprised yours is the first mention of Marvel Super Heroes I've seen; the animations were really well done, and I remember thinking Dr. Doom's stage was particularly awesome once the ship surfaced

Magneto's stage was pretty awesome, too bad I can't find it right now. It was on an asteroid flying towards the sun I think and the ground and walls were made of glass and you could see space flying by and the sun getting closer.

Captain America's stage with the Statue of Liberty sinking in the background was great too.

Too bad it was the last Marvel game to have specialized backgrounds for each character

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This thread reminds me of why I think it is an outright crime, that Japanese game artists and devs are not superstars, on the same level of Hollywood actors and athletes. To say they don't get the props they deserve, is an understatement :(

My heart belongs to SNK, but here's some Capcom stuff I like. It's kinda hard to find good rips of Capcom stuff, so I'll have to use some screencaps.

streetfighterhf2.jpg

Always my favorite stage in SFII

I recently picked up 3rd Strike for Dreamcast and while I love the game I was surprised that a lot of the backgrounds seem to be prerendered with a few hand drawn assets on top of them. I think the one that ended up looking the best was the Hong Kong stage. Neon lights really work well with this style.

sf3_1sb.jpg

03.jpg

Sadly there's some real stinkers like the Russia stage and the New York subway stage.

2nd Impact and New Generation are really where it's at with backgrounds.

SFIII_Alex_vs_Elena.jpg

street_fighter_iii_third_strike.jpg

sfiii2001.png

I guess Capcom felt that with the 3rd iteration of SFIII they needed a new feel so I can almost understand dumping the older backgrounds. As a whole 3rd Impact looks and sounds great so I don't have any complaints, but I'm going to have to hunt down a copy of 2nd Impact just to enjoy those backgrounds as well. SFIII 2nd Impact has a widescreen mode in MAME so you can really enjoy the beautiful backgrounds.

A couple of my favorites that haven't been posted

jo0DX.gif

6gDzf.gif

I love the way the lighting affects the sprites, it's really cool effect.

CHtA9.gif

Re7uN.gif

lsJ8C.gif

Can't find a rip of Krauser's stage from RBS, I always thought that one was awesome.

arit

(click for animated full sized versions, both from Samurai Spirits: Warrior's Rage)

As much as I like the Hyper NeoGeo 64's games, I wonder what SNK could have done with a 2D only game on this magnificent hardware :/

Mobius 1

Flying_Phoenix said:
What's crazy is that SNK was using specs from 1990.

I'm surprised they never launched a new 2D board.

Piracy did destroy SNK. Their game ROMs were being distributed on the web hours after the games made it to the arcades. :(

Norante said:
Piracy did destroy SNK. Their game ROMs were being distributed on the web hours after the games made it to the arcades. :(

Piracy plagued every company.

Technically SNK did get hit harder but that's because a majority of their fanbase are in non-wealthy countries.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PBMax said:

Yeah, KoF'99 has some really good stage art design. But it was mired in a VS series 3 on 3 knock-off clone gameplay that wasn't really that great.

SF4: Skyscraper Under Construction is probably one of my favorites. Otherwise SF3:Third Strike's New York Underground Stage for Ken is one of my favorites.

Damn it, pa22. I didn't even notice the time stamp until I just replied. :|

pa22word

TheSeks said:
Damn it, pa22. I didn't even notice the time stamp until I just replied. :|
Yeah, I hope I don't get anyone banned for this (myself included). I had this one open because someone linked to it in the other topic, and I just forgot to ctrl+w it. Went to go look up some screens for Ultima Underworld on google, came back and c/p'd the images without looking at the topic title. I don't really know the rules on bumping old topics, but it is what it is I guess =\

Top Bottom