Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Dec 8, 2008
Miami, FL
I'd post a few pics from UN Squadron, Super Mario Brothers and Act Raiser if I had the energy to do so.

Edit: sorry, I misread the thread title. Not too many fighter backgrounds that I love. Maybe Chun Li's Street Fighter II background and Guile's as well.

I quantify the number of Ds in a fighter by game mechanics as opposed to polygons/sprites, so I'm going to toss in these BGs from upcoming Chinese title Xuandou Zhiwang (The graphics in this game seem to be prerendered sprites like KI, but the quality is great and they've hit the 2D look very well IMO).

Also feel free to keep the thread going and add more, everyone

Aug 30, 2009
The original Street Fighter II's backgrounds were all memorable to me because every background felt like apart of the characters. I even remember all the theme music to them. The music and backgrounds all matched with the characters. It was just a masterpiece, IMO.

With the newer 2D fighting games, there's just so much detail and activity going on, it's hard to remember some of them and they don't feel distinct. Also, some of the characters weren't as memorable, so the backgrounds were also forgettable.

And lately, some fighting games repeated backgrounds with multiple characters, so it also made it tougher to really make the backgrounds stand out.

Jun 23, 2010
Oman
Woah! I was planning on making a thread like this someday heh.

So off the top of my head: SFZ2 has the best stages in a fighter IMO, each somehow 'fits' the characters. The Darkstalkers' series also have some nice background stages too.
SF2's are classic. I also like Garou's stages as well.

As a kid I wondered why there wasn't many normal stages like boxing or wrestling rings in beat 'em ups. I didn't understand why all these fighting tournaments took place in such odd locations. With that said, I did the concept for this one very funny.

From Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle on the SNES.
Wait, Ukyo was renamed to Frederic?

Dec 5, 2008
A bump, huh? :p

I've been playing Persona 4 Arena and I love the backgrounds in it. The whole game takes place inside the TV world, but the stages are all based on areas from the in-game real world. So there's stuff like the high school music room and the bus stop, but things are always a little weird. Like there are shadows of people everywhere, and windows and stuff are actually TVs and sometimes they flicker. It's awesome.

May 18, 2013
Anyone have any decent res versions of Capcom vs SNK 2 backgrounds? I loved so many of those stages, it'd be sweet to have some to use for my desktop background.

May 18, 2013
Well, that's a bump, all right.
Anyway, you're probably having trouble because the game has 3D backgrounds. I'm not sure how you'd get a good image of that.
True, guess it's harder to rip out of the game then. Downloading a random rar file right I found on the net called Stages Capcom vs Snk. Hoping I hit the jackpot with that, I'll let you know.

Feb 28, 2013
I've always loved Capcom backgrounds.

Pocket Fighter:

Vampire Savior:

MVC

Also it is a crime that I cannot find any good pictures of Red Earth's stages. Red Earth is so underrated

Also Touhou 13.5 Hopeless Masquerade (a really recent fighting game) has decent stages that look great without the background characters

Sep 19, 2005
Seattle, WA
I wasn't familiar with the game before, but Neo Ge Battle Colosseum doesn't fuck around. I love the references in the backgrounds.
Too bad they dumped all of these for the XBLA version. It's like SNKP was ashamed of 2D for a bit...

People that bitch about pixels or 2D or say that 2D is cheap have a special circle reserved in Hell