• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Salsa

Came to post this:

StreetFighterAlpha2-China(Gen).png

good job Spaniard

(and good luck!)

Salsa

I dig the KOF 99 visually, but the thing with Alpha 2's back alley is that it makes me think what happened there. One of those that kinda tell a story.

GhaleonQ

Thnikkaman said:
Now I regret it - This is art, even if I find the characters tacky.

KOF and Last Blade ones being the best so far.

I really don't even think the The Last Blade world is tacky at all, too. I HIGHLY encourage you to play/explore them.

Solune

Platy said:
Emugif.com is a good site for stages ... it is not perfect (sorry, no jojo) but has lots of ones !
(the menu is not firefox/chrome friendly)
Damn their galleries are really godlike, but their CvS2 archive only has characters as far as I can tell, any place where I could find backgrounds for CvS2?

Kikujiro

Wow, I missed that KOF '99 stage too, and I have the game for Dreamcast.
Watching all this stages is like remembering my childhood, fighting games were the best thing ever.

The Sakura stage is amazing, I love the everyday life feeling in it.

Bleepey

ProtoCents said:
StreetFighterAlpha-Warriors'Dreams-USA(Charlie).png

StreetFighterAlpha2-Japan(Ryu).png

I wish there was a way to have my desktop background be one of these with a fight occuring. No, not MUGEN.

1) Download a vid of youtube
2) Download VLC
2) Convert it to a file format to be played with VLC
4) Play video
5)Set it as background
6)????????
7)Profit!

MYE

Holy shit at some of those o__o

Guys, Blazblue Calamity Trigger fo4 9.45€ new or BlazBlue: Continuum Shift for 14.95€?

I'm buying it for the occasional offline fighting matches and pretty 2D art. Dont give a shit about the active comunity or whatever.

orioto

Good Art™
The art of making fighter backgrounds is so amazing... Some of SNK and capcom backgrounds are stunning pieces of art!

I'll add that :

Kof95koreabg.gif

And the symphonic music on top of it!

Dali

cj_iwakura said:
lastbladecda.jpg

Poetry in motion.

lb-7.png
Last Blade was the first game to come to mind. I couldn't think of any specific stages, I just remembered it having awesome backgrounds. Also SF3: 2nd Impact had some amazing backgrounds. I don't know why they didn't include them in Third Strike.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow, the pixel art here is amazing. Kind of makes me wish I was into 2D fighters when I was younger now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The SFA2 stage that takes place in a bathroom... can't find any good pics online.

Also was looking through the SNK wikia, lots of fantastic sprite-art backgrounds. I like this one because, for some reason, random Japanese games would have "NEW JACK" in their grafitti (ESP Ra.De. has this too) :p

Kof94usabg.gif

Also these:

Kof95usabg.gif

Kof94koreabg.gif

Kof99park1bglite.gif

Kof2kegyptbglite.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
How do I get to the game directory on that emugif site?

I can get to the ones that have had recent updates by their specific links, but all the links in the site's top banner lead me to 404 errors.

BAW

Banned
Gotta love beat em ups. It's like the characters said, "We will travel far and wide, and visit the most breathtaking and iconic vistas of our planet. And then beat the shit out of each other."

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
rekameohs said:
If Brawl counts, I'd say some stuff there is incredible.

They would, but personally I dont want anything with magical floating platforms.

Thank you so much for all these responses! Some really fantastic pieces in here, I cant wait to completely butcher them :p

And yeah, HD Remix had horrible backgrounds. I bitched at them then and I was right, haha.

Alextended said:
Woah, that looks like some bad fan art... What happened to you, Ryu?!

A brief history lesson:

1. Capcom hires a company to do all the in-between animation cells for the game.
2. Sprites are pretty dang awesome, tons of shading, very detailed.
3. The animation company cannot keep up with the detail, and is very inconsistant.
4. Capcom/Udon start lowering the ammount of detail in hopes of getting it done faster.
5. Animation company still sucks.
6. Capcom fires them, then has to re-do all the animation over again, with a new company.
8. They have the reduce all the detail/shading so they can get it done relatively on-time.

We're stuck with what we have today.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The Take Out Bandit said:
I told you so.

Keep that in mind the next time you clowns try shouting me down.

Yeah if TTOB and I agree on something its mathematically impossible for the conglomerate to be wrong.

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah if TTOB and I agree on something its mathematically impossible for the conglomerate to be wrong.

lol

I have to say these stages make me miss that TrueD swagger even more. Except for the Western developed toilet fare.
Mortal Kombat will never count, good on you Australia for putting that trash in its place.

Seeing stages I haven't seen before compels me to seek out these games.

Raging Spaniard

lol

I have to say these stages make me miss that TrueD swagger even more. Except for the Western developed toilet fare.
Mortal Kombat will never count, good on you Australia for putting that trash in its place.

Seeing stages I haven't seen before compels me to seek out these games.

I need you to gimme backgrounds, not spread your sensationalist propaganda >:|

Raging Spaniard said:
I need you to gimme backgrounds, not spread your sensationalist propaganda >:|

Where can I find the amazing SF3 backgrounds?

Alex's 2ndI stage sprang to mind immediately, but I can't find an image that does it justice. Everything I find is tiny and lame.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SF3 series has so many amazing backgrounds, and it's the primary reason I want a Street Fighter 3 Collection released. So we can enjoy this great art in our homes.
You don't have a Dreamcast?

Top Bottom