• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Kurtofan

luka said:
Just to give SNK's recent efforts some recognition:

]
kofxiifrancebgeeh4.jpg
"Faites son mieux" urgh.
And why the fuck are there fatties everywhere?
And why are the flags red,white,blue instead of blue,white,red.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
bug_42 said:
I have always liked this one

Man, thats like, my least favorite background ever, lol.

Also, the thread is intended for 2-D backgrounds, but no biggie.

GhaleonQ

Raging Spaniard said:
Man, thats like, my least favorite background ever, lol.

*laughs* Carnivals and circuses are always so divisive! As a Wisconsinite, I'll support them being awesome.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't really have a problem with carnivals and circuses. I wouldn't even have an issue with a giant clown head if it looked like something you might find at one.

But I do have a problem with an impossibly ugly giant clown head that convulses and jiggles as if it's some grotesque otherworldly fusion of animatronics and Jell-O.

As far as 2.5D backgrounds go, I'm really taken with the Hand Hideout stage from MvC3. Definitely feels like it was made in the spirit of a lot of these 2D ones, impressive setpiece with lots of detail in the center, little animated tomfoolery happening on the side.

GhaleonQ

Shig said:
I don't really have a problem with carnivals and circuses. I wouldn't even have an issue with a giant clown head if it looked like something you might find at one.

But I do have a problem with an impossibly ugly giant clown head that convulses and jiggles as if it's some grotesque otherworldly fusion of animatronics and Jell-O.

*laughs* That's fair!

Personally, I hate all those new KOF backgrounds from XII and XIII. They're just such a clusterfuck of animation going everywhere and just distracting as hell, and well...bleh. I won't deny they're beautifully MADE...but they clearly didn't think them out all that well. Much prefer SNK's older stuff.

Anyway, some personal favs come from the far superior SNES version of TMNT:

6236-3-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-tournament-fighters-for-snes.jpg

tf2rd9.jpg

big_2.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Criminal Upper said:
Personally, I hate all those new KOF backgrounds from XII and XIII. They're just such a clusterfuck of animation going everywhere and just distracting as hell, and well...bleh. I won't deny they're beautifully MADE...but they clearly didn't think them out all that well. Much prefer SNK's older stuff.

Anyway, some personal favs come from the far superior SNES version of TMNT:

6236-3-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-tournament-fighters-for-snes.jpg

tf2rd9.jpg

big_2.jpg

studio 6 from tournament fighters happens to be one of my personal favorites.

Azure J

patrickthehedgehog said:

I look at this one and imagine that at the end of the match, someone comes out of that house and goes "Welcome to my crib you broke ass mothafucka!" and now I can't stop laughing. :lol

ScHlAuChi

If there was ever proof that 2D is superior to 3D, its this thread!

That said, is there a website that collects all those backgrounds?

Noogy

Thank you everyone for keeping the fading dream alive. Some amazing pixel art in here.

Galamauth said:
the background in THIS :)

I have no idea what that is but it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen!

cj_iwakura

This thread is a blatant reminder why Arcana Heart and doujin fighters in general have horrible background design.

They're lifeless, static images.

cj_iwakura said:
This thread is a blatant reminder why Arcana Heart and doujin fighters in general have horrible background design.

They're lifeless, static images.
Something something Vanguard Princess

(exception to the rule I know)

Pookmunki said:
I love the animated transitions into stages in CVS, the car chase being my favourite.

CvS Gameplay
I forgot all about that! CVS1 did some cool stuff with stage intros and changing up the music for the final round.

Anyway, this thread is fucking awesome. SNK had godly pixel artists in the late 90s. Those KOF99 gifs make me wish I had played that game more. Backgrounds that change from round to round are so rad. I know Garou did that, and there was KOF99 and one of the Street Fighter IIIs. Any I'm forgetting?

I remember one of the Last Blades had this awesome snow level where the snow would get knocked out of a tree's branches onto the ground after you comboed a guy. It was fucking sweet.

And I don't know where to find a gif of it, but IIRC Charlie's stage from Alpha 2 was pretty cool, with an animated Harrier in the background.

It would be hilarious if after the fight, the winner got in the car and drove off.

Oh! And Bison's stage in Alpha 3 (arcade version) had these swirling clouds in the background that would periodically form into a skull shape. The PSX port had a way lamer version of this.

Loved this. The music adds so much to this level.

ff1-michael2.png

Also this. Always love a good city and the music was great too. Very fitting against the enemy.

gfs_49610_2_27_mid.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Always loved this one. Was so pissed they butchered it for the home release

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk1/arenas/thepitbottom/01.png[/MG][/QUOTE]
Protip: Save the image and rehost, every time.

Hotlinking is only asking for trouble.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm always curious why the backgrounds went to shit the further in the installments in SF games.

SFIII's and especially Impact was awesome. Third Strike's was lackluster
CvS1's backgrounds are easily some of the best ever, then you have CvS2 which were nice but nothing special.

galvatron

Shig said:
Thread inspired me to make some avatars, have at 'em:

kof94mexico2.gif
kof94ickyshuffle.gif
So tempting...

I can't believe how many of these I forgot about. KOF '94 is probably my favorite KOF and the backgrounds might have a lot to do with that.

galvatron said:
So tempting...

I can't believe how many of these I forgot about. KOF '94 is probably my favorite KOF and the backgrounds might have a lot to do with that.
It had rad music too... especially the Ikari Warriors stage.

galvatron

I have to hold it down for the Rodney Dangerfield of fighters. Anytime I have people over for a day of gaming, World Heroes Perfect is usually mandatory.

392.png

389.png

388.png

385.png

384.png

382.png

Top Bottom