• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

galvatron

Parallax Scroll said:
It had rad music too... especially the Ikari Warriors stage.

Yeah, the Ikari stage was awesome, all around. I'm still looking for a good shot of the downed helicopter. All of the ones I found are blurry.

galvatron said:
Yeah, the Ikari stage was awesome, all around. I'm still looking for a good shot of the downed helicopter. All of the ones I found are blurry.

Kof94brazilbg.gif

FoxSpirit

The sound effects in KOF 94 were also fantastic. And Kim. And Kyo. And Heidern :-D

And yeah, much, much love for Kyo's city stage right here.

I entered the Polycount contest :D

I'm going with this hot mess right here:

wtef7b.jpg

My favorite stage from the game.
It was also the first stage where I accidentally performed an Overkill without knowing they existed, followed by staring at the screen in disbelief and awe for 5 minutes afterwards:

vrzyp2.gif

I was like 12 and didn't know better so that instantly gave this the title of Best Fucking Game Ever In The History of Everything.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Draft said:
Wow, SNK fucking killed it. Way outclassed Capcom.

Really? I think the SF III ones and Alpha 2/3 ones are way up there, III specially.

SNK has the more consistent look and feel though.

AzureJericho said:
You know, the more I look at this one:

LuFTz.gif

the more I wish I could make it my PC background, complete with rainy animation.

The atmosphere in some these are just incredible. I really really love this one as well.
Its great to see these backgrounds on their own. Amazing stuff.

Suairyu

Banned
Was there ever a reason given why 3rd Strike's backgrounds were a lot less involved than 2nd Impact's and New Generation's? I think SFIII: 3rd Strike is as close to perfect a 2D fighting game can achieve, but I do admit the backgrounds from the earlier two versions were more intricate works of art.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Suairyu said:
Was there ever a reason given why 3rd Strike's backgrounds were a lot less involved than 2nd Impact's and New Generation's? I think SFIII: 3rd Strike is as close to perfect a 2D fighting game can achieve, but I do admit the backgrounds from the earlier two versions were more intricate works of art.

Dev houses never mean to make things look worse, 3rd Strike most probably had a much smaller dev budget and thus less time to produce assets.

The backgrounds in 2nd. Impact are the best, but theyre a refinement of the ones in vanilla SF III which had a long dev cycle. For 3rd Strike they made all new backgrounds from scratch, but obviously in order to achieve that they were less intricate.

danmaku

Raging Spaniard said:
Really? I think the SF III ones and Alpha 2/3 ones are way up there, III specially.

SNK has the more consistent look and feel though.

I think old SNK backgrounds look prettier because they're designed at a lower resolution, and because of that you can still see the pixels. SF3 backgrounds are gorgeous, but to me they look more like a scanned painting, not a work of pixel art. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned lol

edit: Beardz beat me

Raging Spaniard

danmaku said:
I think old SNK backgrounds look prettier because they're designed at a lower resolution, and because of that you can still see the pixels. SF3 backgrounds are gorgeous, but to me they look more like a scanned painting, not a work of pixel art. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned lol

edit: Beardz beat me

I dont really have a dimension bias, use pixels, voxels or pieces of shit, I dont care, just give me something that looks good.

OSHAN

Fantastic thread everyone; a real treat to scroll through.

Samurai Shodown and Last Blade, especially the sequel, did a great job of having the backgrounds come alive with all the sound effects. Boards creaking under your feet; fire crackling; the sound of rushing water -- all awesome.

lbpsone-2.png

I don't have the time to find a great gif for this stage, but the snow falling off the trees and the sound of it hitting the ground after a fight is truly A+ stuff.

Might as well post some more Last Blade stuff since I've stumbled across it. If I post one that has already been posted, I apologize, but just enjoy them again!

Last Blade:

m219662007.gif

m219662009.gif

m219662010.gif

m219662012.gif

m219662014.gif

m219662015.gif

m219662017.gif

m219662018.gif

m219662019.gif

Last Blade 2:

m219662021.gif

m219662024.gif

Wow, I really took 2-D backgrounds for granted. This is the best thread ever and everytime i see a new bg, I become more impressed.

I am glad that Blazblue stepped things up to another level.

This thread is a nice reminder to me why I play so many 2D fighters despite usually being horrible at them; they're absolutely gorgeous.

Couldn't find clean rips to post online, but while I'm not that big into the chibi-style Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix's backgrounds were great because it was a game in itself to spot all the references and cameos hidden in them. If the Polycount contest OP was going to enter let's you include heaps of characters (I believe you said somewhere you don't have to adhere 100% to the original background), it might be fun to play around with this idea and even include some of Capcom's newer characters and franchises. (Incidentally, have a link to the thread in question? Haven't done any 3D modeling art since last year, but it'd still be neat to check out what other artists are doing for this contest).

Its a real shame that SF4's backgrounds have no character compared to the rest of the SF series. The best SF4 level was Metro City, every other level just lacks character and feels generic and flat. I wish every character had their own level.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Host Samurai said:
Its a real shame that SF4's backgrounds have no character compared to the rest of the SF series. The best SF4 level was Metro City, every other level just lacks character and feels generic and flat. I wish every character had their own level.
Sahara and India are good.

krakov

Patrick Bateman said:
Nice, thank you. Is there any recommendation to get started with KOF if I own a PS1, PS2 and PS3?

I'm not so sure what´s out for PS3 if anything, I guess they started releasing older NeoGeo-games right? There are a few compilations for PS2 that you could probably get for cheap, they don't have working online modes but are great if you just want them for legacy or local play. Avoid anything on PS1, bad ports all around.

EDIT: I'd recommend looking for clean ports, remakes are generelly worse looking imho. 3D backgrounds and/or "enhanced" sprites.

Host Samurai said:

I agree with you. It's been beaten to death before, but Capcom really dropped the ball with the backgrounds in the SF4 games. Character-specific backgrounds can do so much to add depth and story to the fighters. I know it sounds weird, but I feel there's less emotion in the SF4 games compared to, say, Alpha 2. The SF4 stages are as generic as they come. Sure, there are some decent stages, like Solar Eclipse and Overpass, but since none of these stages are specifically tied to a character (except for Seth & the secret Lab stages, I suppose), to me it feels like there's a big piece missing.

While I'm a bit of a rant, I hate the stupid canned intros for each character, too. I'll take Ken giving Ryu a noogie, or a simple fist bump over their mini speeches any day.

Top Bottom