• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite change to the revised Neogaf?

i'd have to say the notification of someone quoting you and linking to it is great. really helpful in keeping up with involved conversations.

didn't think much of the "liking" function initially, but I just found myself on other forums trying to "Like" someones post. hah!

the giveaways tab is a neat addition as well.

what features do you like/use the most?

Last edited:

Pejo

Mainly I just like that the thought police posters are gone. The quoting and new post alerts are great.

Still waiting to be able to shut off avatars and images/embedded videos again, and the fact we don't get in-line spoilers anymore kinda stinks, but overall I like the new layout and features.

I like the idea of the Giveaways but I probably won't enter, I feel pretty fortunate and would like to think the winners are people that actually benefit from winning instead of just saving a couple bucks.

Zannegan

I like the like button as well. I don't always feel like writing out a response to a well done post or reply, so it's nice to be able to acknowledge someone's well thought out argument with just a click. It cuts down on the number of fluff "Yeah" and "Exactly how I feel" posts too.

I like the like button as well. I don't always feel like writing out a response to a well done post or reply, so it's nice to be able to acknowledge someone's well thought out argument with just a click. It cuts down on the number of fluff "Yeah" and "Exactly how I feel" posts too.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Seriously though, it's a good idea.

I'm also happy that I can post my opinions on certain topics, in a respectable fashion, and not worry about being banned. If you can't have an honest exchange of opinions, then no one can ever learn from each other. Even if you don't agree, it helps to learn why people feel the way they do, especially if both sides can do that in good faith.

The watched threads feature is also nice. Although, the community threads feel a little hard to notice right now.

Fbh

I like the notifications and the like button.

Sometimes I like what someone posted but don't really have anything to add other than "I agree" and the like button is a good alternative to having to quote them

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Seriously though, it's a good idea.

I'm also happy that I can post my opinions on certain topics, in a respectable fashion, and not worry about being banned. If you can't have an honest exchange of opinions, then no one can ever learn from each other. Even if you don't agree, it helps to learn why people feel the way they do, especially if both sides can do that in good faith.

The watched threads feature is also nice. Although, the community threads feel a little hard to notice right now.

That's exactly why I signed up. I used to read this forum and it seemed to be very bad from when I read it like 8 years prior. There wasn't one differing opinion and it was obvious it was out out of mob rule, and silencing through bannings. Saw news had had blew up one day and those types left, and I thought thank god(and I hope had doesn't die.) It really does seem like a fairer place now for discussion

Last edited:
The way moderation handles discussion now is my favorite change to be honest. All the other improvements are nice but i could leave without it.

BANGS

Banned
I just like that you don't get banned for having an opinion that goes against the norm. That happens way too often in many forums and so far I haven't seen that here...

MoogleMan

I just like that you don't get banned for having an opinion that goes against the norm. That happens way too often in many forums and so far I haven't seen that here...
It used to before the purge. Best thing that ever happened to gaf.

Narroo

It used to before the purge. Best thing that ever happened to gaf.
Oh hardly. Now we've gone to the complete opposite side of the spectrum where people are trying to argue alt-right points in bad faith, and it's A-OK because...opinions matter. No matter how terrible of a person you are.

DonF

Quote Alerts are great.

I always try to read all comments before commenting myself. If another comment says exactly or close to what I think, I just Like the comment and I don't comment.

I also like the layout in general, the fonts, the size, the colors. I don't like that of the other site. Dark mode looks awesome.
Also the watch feature. I think that it was before, but now I use it!

A.Romero

I like the new engine a lot but my favourite feature is the alerts. My participation has gone up since they implemented them.

Oh hardly. Now we've gone to the complete opposite side of the spectrum where people are trying to argue alt-right points in bad faith, and it's A-OK because...opinions matter. No matter how terrible of a person you are.
Do you have any examples of that?

I like most of the changes, but one thing I really miss was the toggle to get to the bottom of the page and back up really quickly. Now you have to manually scroll, which is a bit of pain, especially when viewing from a phone. But that's really the only negative I can think of, and slightly off-topic.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Still better than alt-left points being the only truth accepted here...

Codes 208

The biggest change i like is how now gaf has become somewhat less exclusive. Ive been a lurker since 2011 and ive only just recently been given the chance to become a member.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I like most of the changes, but one thing I really miss was the toggle to get to the bottom of the page and back up really quickly. Now you have to manually scroll, which is a bit of pain, especially when viewing from a phone. But that's really the only negative I can think of, and slightly off-topic.
The arrow at the top and the blue arrow on the right hand side are the new up and down buttons

Last edited:

Smile&Dial

Neo Member
I love that it's more of a free thought forum and not a hive mind of social justice against you. I legit enjoy GAF much more, ten fold.

camelCase

I kinda like the facebook notification style of people interacting with you and the threads you're in.

I echo this. ERA doesn't have the either button for some reason.

This “discussion” on this discussion board is pretty freakin’ cool. That’s my favorite New Gaf thing.

I also like the mods. Because they aren’t dicks.

I like this community way more. I find plenty I disagree with. But I appreciate the different opinions.

Less sudium filled haters towards the Xbox X..it's more of a balanced level 50/50 of both camps seems to me, you can carry on some level headed convos nowadays. .. so I do enjoy stopping by more to read new articles etc.

Yagami_Sama

The new notification system is neat. Be informed when a thread you follow is updated or when someone quote your post is very good. The like button is also good, because in some cases you may show your appreciation for someone effort in creating a new thread or trying to keep the community alive.

Aces&Eights

I see drive by postings are still present.

bucyou

changes are great, if we are making suggestions, I think instead of "like", upvote/downvote would be a better option so some OPs can see how ridiculous their posts are

zelhawks37

Definitely the change in the community, 'like' function, and alerts. It is nice to express your opinion without worry.

Graven

I was a lurker in the "old" gaf, the place is less crowded, but much more chill and open to an actual conversation about games and whatnot, there was a circlejerk going on here that was pretty much impossible to have an actual discussion about many things without being completely villanized should you think different. I couldn't join back then given the restriction, but im happy to be here in the present time.

changes are great, if we are making suggestions, I think instead of "like", upvote/downvote would be a better option so some OPs can see how ridiculous their posts are

*downvote*

Seriously, though, I respectfully disagree. Dogpiles aren't cool, and I think they should be left behind. I understand the temptation, but I think it would just add negativity to the forum.

As far as suggestions go, I do think with less activity, it might be nice for Official Thread topics to remain in the main gaming forum for a lot longer. Perhaps they shouldn't be moved ever. I would guess that there are a lot more page views of the "Gaming Discussion" page, than the "Gaming Community" or "New Posts" pages.

Then again, I'm new here (despite having lurked for years), so perhaps I'm overlooking something that would make that a bad idea.

WaterAstro

It's actually too relaxed. I was insulted. My mother was insulted. People are stalking me to bash me in threads I go to.

I report them, and the mods are okay with that behaviour, so they don't get banned. There will never be perfect moderators who are going to be impartial. Everyone has an agenda.
---------------------------------------------------
MOD EDIT: Super tame "insult"

Last edited by a moderator:

bucyou

*downvote*

Seriously, though, I respectfully disagree. Dogpiles aren't cool, and I think they should be left behind. I understand the temptation, but I think it would just add negativity to the forum.

As far as suggestions go, I do think with less activity, it might be nice for Official Thread topics to remain in the main gaming forum for a lot longer. Perhaps they shouldn't be moved ever. I would guess that there are a lot more page views of the "Gaming Discussion" page, than the "Gaming Community" or "New Posts" pages.

Then again, I'm new here (despite having lurked for years), so perhaps I'm overlooking something that would make that a bad idea.

I don't see the correlation between up and down arrow and dogpiling, I actually havent seen any dogpiling since the correction, but I respect your opinion so have a upvote like

It's actually too relaxed. I was insulted. My mother was insulted. People are stalking me to bash me in threads I go to.

I report them, and the mods are okay with that behaviour, so they don't get banned. There will never be perfect moderators who are going to be impartial. Everyone has an agenda.

This post got a minute of my time due to curiosity, so I went back over a week of your post history and found nothing of what you speak of. I'll agree that everyone :eek: has an agenda, as you proved

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

Everyone talks about the politically charged atmosphere that was previously here, and it was certainly a big deterrent, but I enjoy the fact that it's a lot less hostile in general. I lurked since the early-mid 2000s and rarely if ever contributed just because there'd always be someone to showboat & challenge you over the most innocuous, stupid crap. Some people had their identity wrapped up in these boards so heavily that it was oddly poisonous in its own right.

I second every post about the community, it definitely feels a lot lighter and there's definitely some real sense of comradery that was at times hard to find before. I love the new look, the like and alert thing. One huge change I love is the lack of batshit crazy self-importance and just the respect for the devs. Yeah we might call a game shit some times or criticize this or that in it, but I don't see any demands for the game to be changed. I don't see any armchair creators outraged over small things. There's a tenuous line between between criticism ("I wish this was done better") and content participation with no consideration for the creators of the game ("this game shouldn't have this/should have that"), but it's noticeable over time and yeah it's been awesome lately.

Halo0629

I love the newgaf, it feels so laid back and less hostile here compared to other forums. People also don't get ban anymore for not going with the popular opinions.

The biggest change i like is how now gaf has become somewhat less exclusive. Ive been a lurker since 2011 and ive only just recently been given the chance to become a member.
That's my case, too. It was very hard to get an account on GAF. But now, you can register and start posting in less than a 10 minutes.

DiscoJer

It's nice not wondering if you are going to be banned after every post. (Though I was only banned once, for 2 weeks, though I still am juniored for it)

Not to belabour the point but yes- the relative absence of sanctimonious, inert, discussion-neutering flag-wavers who seemed to render much of this forum completely unreadable.

Y2H

My favourite features:
• The notifications for replies and likes
• The like button (don't have to type one or two word responses that clog up the thread)
• Avatars display a green triangle for posters who are logged in and a blue triangle for the original poster
• Mod warnings are better than the secret police actions of the previous modding team
• The old posters that gave NeoGAF a terrible reputation are gone
• Even though I don't use it, having the option to change to the dark theme for users not logged in is nice

Features that could be added:
• Add the Gaming, Off-Topic, What's new, Log in, Register, and search functions onto the footer.

Top Bottom