• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite cinematic games?

kyliethicc

On PS4...

The Last of Us Part II
Uncharted 4
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Call of Duty Modern Warfare

... and Knack 2.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, I interpret "cinematic," as anything that has inherent movie-like qualities. Even in gameplay sequences. There was a big like five part retrospective/analysis of the Uncharted series on Youtube (forget the name of the channel) but it shed some light on how the gameplay of like Uncharted 2 for example is super linear, but framed in a lens like you have a thousand choices to handle a problem when the developers may intend or only allow a couple. The tank sequence in Tibet was the example given.

I'd say cinematic would refer to the player character almost stepping into the role of the main actor in a game's events. Everything in the game, including options available, are included to reinforce the story. Snake is sneaking past guards to get into a fortress. The gameplay itself is representative of the storyline. Compared to most open world games or JRPGS.

You never hear about Edward Kenway's heroic plundering of uncharted islands for a chest with 250 reales or the time he spent agonizing over whether he needed to reinforce the Jackdaw's hull or add cannons. The story doesn't reference all the Grangalan Jr. Jr.'s Cloud had to kill to get to the Gold Saucer. These instances are treated more like novels. Tolkien spending six pages describing the forest on the way to Huckleberry Ferry is equivalent to traveling the overworld in these games.

Whereas cinematic games usually lack chaff, or emergent world building for the sake of concise experiences. I don't want to say the term is interchangeable with "linear," because there's some cinematic open world games and some linear games that aren't cinematic at all (Soulsborne, etc)

GustavoLT

678-mad-dog-mccree-dos-front-cover.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Until Dawn. It's just a 12 hour interactive b-movie horror, I loved it, couldn't put it down.

mcz117chief

From the top of my head Final Fantasy XIII

I bought Xbox One X just yesterday to replay FFXIII and it was totally worth it. The game looks absolutely stunning at 4k and with stable frame-rate, it feels like playing the game for the first time again. This also happened to me recently with Ace Combat 5 remaster on PS4. Playing some of these older, more cinematic games at higher res and better frame-rate is an incredible experience.

Z..

You've been given man's last hope for survival, a young girl, by an old friend of yours, and are leading her to an independent faction across the wasteland. Plus that opening car scene. Been a while since I played so I can't really remark on the tone, but I remember it being one of the films constantly on my mind as I played.
There are many, many similarities, not only plot-wise (a journey carrying and protecting a girl/woman whose survival is crucial to humanity), but also in regards to themes and overall atmosphere. The extreme nihilistic tone of CoM is very prominent in The Last of Us. Everything is bleak, brutal, and doomed, but here and there you have some lighthearted beats that convey that even in such setting life may still be worth it and there is hope for a better tomorrow.

You know... now that I think about it and after you guys pointed it out, I have no idea how I didn't notice this before. It absolutely checks out.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2 and 3
Tomb Raider
Metal Gear Solid 3
Mass Effect 2 and 3
BioShock Infinite
Call of Duty Advanced and Infinite Warfare

Tschumi

I'll never play it again but i really enjoyed sharing the first few hours of Beyond Two Souls with my girl. Same goes for The Last Guardian, which i very much hope I'll be able to finish with her watching.

I'm really, really gratified and at peace with what a nice job they did with Trico, as this is the first Team Ico game I've played with any real focus. I've got Colossus remake waiting for after this one.

Honourable mentions go to MGS, Death Stranding, Uncharted

Last edited:

Tschumi

I think one of the most cinematic games I have played was actually Deus Ex Mankind Divided. They put a lot of effort into camera movements for explosions and in particular dialogue sequences. It is not just cross cutting between the faces of the people talking.
This makes me question what cinematic means.. i love the deus ex reboots massively, but i didn't think an fps with so few cutscenes would count .. totally with you though

...still love these games, i think if they count though then Witcher 3 certainly does and if W3 is in the convo the answer is self evident...

mxbison

1. Asura's Wrath
2. Until Dawn
3. Detroit: Become Human

I don't consider God of War, Uncharted etc. cinematic games.

MGS1/2/3 are really the only cinematic games that ever worked for me. I like the mid to late 90s hollywood action film was a natural fit for the medium, but now everything imitates TV series like the Walking Dead or some Joss Whedon crap.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I usually don't like such games, but Tomb Raider recently surprised me with how thoroughly it declasses everything I have played of Uncharted (1, 2, and GA) in all gameplay aspects.

turtlepowa

Banned
I usually don't like such games, but Tomb Raider recently surprised me with how thoroughly it declasses everything I have played of Uncharted (1, 2, and GA) in all gameplay aspects.
Of course it beats Uncharted gameplay-wise, because Tomb Raider was always gameplay focused and so unlike most Sony stuff Tomb Raider is no cinematic game in my opinion.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Of course it beats Uncharted gameplay-wise, because Tomb Raider was always gameplay focused and so unlike most Sony stuff Tomb Raider is no cinematic game in my opinion.
I meant TR13 though, so the reboot that also is loaded with the dumb "cinematic moments" which are just semi interactive over the top spectacle cutscenes that are so prevalent in Uncharted.

Top Bottom