• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Commodore 64 game?

I was born in 92, I only have a vague memory of either attempting to play/watching my dad play this on his old C64

486125-superman-the-man-of-steel-commodore-64-screenshot-attacked.gif

I've since played it again and it's pretty fun

Roxas

Barbarian:The Ultimate Warrior or 'Death Sword' in the US.

One on one fighting game to the death. You gotta kill 8 other barbarians to reach the final boss Drax the Wizard.

You each have a life meter and you can either hack each other to death or hit a one hit kill with some well timed precision to lob the other guys head off. The loser of the fight has their decapitated body dragged from the arena by a little goblin

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14ORMf6SjTc

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Blue Max and Raid Over Moscow were my favorite games that I had no idea how to play. I couldn't take off in either of them, but I couldn't make myself stop trying either. Spy vs. spy was one of those as well.

There was this game that I played only once. You controlled a group of characters, and you were able to switch between them at will. I believe one of them was an armored lizardman or some such beast. It was an SF game, I think, maybe post-apocalyptic. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hit the spacebar to open the flight doors in Raid over Moscow.

What else...

Airborne Ranger - ALL TIME CLASSIC.

Skyfox

Zak McCracken

Law of the West

4th and Inches

Maniac Mansion

Way of the Exploding Fist

Championship Wrestling

Rock n Wrestle
- I can't hear the music for this without crying with laughter.

Wacky Darts

Seriously, I could do this all day.

Dead Space64 aka Project Firestart.

ProjectFirestartPicsAni.gif

ProjectFirestartAnimation1.gif
yessssssss

andylsun

What a thread (and stop posting ZX Spectrum screenshots)

My favourites (and I still own 2 x C64 and all my games)

Armalyte
Delta (predecessor to Armalyte)
Elite
Paradroid
Uridium (I admire, but don't actually enjoy playing)
International Karate+

and probably lots more I've forgotten.

Beachhead 2. I didn't own it, my friend did. We would always have close games until the last battle (the knife throwing) and then he would just own my ass.

Yessssss!

"You can't hurt meeeee!" so good :')

Loved Montezuma's Revenge, the Street Sports Baseball, Basketball, and Football games, and the ultimate... the AD&D Gold Box series.

Mr E.

Many great games already said.

Mr.Do.
Mr.Do's castle.
Frak.
Pooyan.
Gribblys day out.
Thing on a spring.
Archon.

Edit anyone remember "Chiller". It was a masteronic budget title. Blatant rip off of MJ's thriller at the time. You could get away with it then.

Far too many lol. My favourite system ever.

So many of the games mentioned here are amazing, but here's a C64 game I played hundreds of hours of. I was totally absorbed into its pseudo future World War 3 as invisioned in the 80's.

Project Stealth Fighter. Not so much a flight sim but stealth game played over simulated warzones, where you sneak past SAM sites, radar stations, warships and aircraft and blow your target to hell and back and leave before the enemy even knows what hit them.

Beautiful game and that manual - I must have read that thing a hundred times.

https://archive.org/details/Project_Stealth_Fighter_1987_Microprose_Software

Giana Sisters (Mario clone), at the time I wasn't even aware it's a clone.

Babarian, winning by spinning around and cutting off the head of your enemy was always the best thing, after the music of course.

IK+, the sound of the ball hitting the shield is burned into my ears, boing.

Werner Flashbier, Boulder Dash clone (which is also a clone)

The Summer/Winter/California games were always a family event back in the day... everybody came together and play the stupid games that always threatened to damage your joysticks lol.

Katakis (R-Type)...loved this sidescrolling Spaceshooter, the music was fantastic.

There was aslo a game where you fly around as a witch and can enter houses/caves and you need to find keyes and stuff... never finished that one because I never figured out what to do but I always went back to it to try again.

Also, already posted this in another thread but maybe here is the better place A Tribute To Rob Hubbard

Thanati

Uridium on the C64 was a work of genius.

Then there was Armalyte and of course, Ghost and Goblins. I still love that music! Crazy comets too :)

So much time has passed that I have to think hard to bring back to mind some of the many games I used to play back in the day.

These are the ones I can think of right now:

Bruce Lee
Rambo
Wonder Boy - port of the Sega game
Bubble Bubble - port of the Taito game
Forbidden forest- maybe that is not the correct name, it was a creepy game where you fight owls and giant spiders with a bow

MysteryM

Renegade and Target Renegade deserve a mention - just because of my love of scrolling beat em ups.

I'd also say wizball but I played a ton of it on the amiga instead.

Edit: I see someone said Gunship, that came with one of the most amazingly complex manuals ever, too bad it was wasted on it!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Enigma Force, Uridium, Zennox (sp?), Panther, Turrican, Bard's Tale, 007: License To Kill, War On Middle Earth, Ghostbusters... Loads.

Man, I loved my C64.

EDIT: Oh, shit! How could I forget the Cinemaware classic, Defender of the Crown? Blue Max and Operation: Wolf, too.

All those Electronic Arts sports games were controller breakers, but still great though.

Just looked it up. Wiki said it was Epyx games. Oh well. Either way, those games were awesome until your shit broke.

Well, I played Summer games a lot in multiplayer with my father and my brothers and I recall it was based on precision and timing rather than waggling the jpystick as quickly as possible, at the very least I'm thinking of archery, swimming and dives.

As far as I can remember Track'n field it was a joystick breaker though, in the arcades they had to fix the cabinets once every once and then.

Jyrii

Banned
Enigma Force, Uridium, Zennox (sp?), Panther, Turrican, Bard's Tale, 007: License To Kill, War On Middle Earth, Ghostbusters... Loads.

Man, I loved my C64.

EDIT: Oh, shit! How could I forget the Cinemaware classic, Defender of the Crown? Blue Max and Operation: Wolf, too.

High five for Enigma Force. Can't believe someone else actually remembers that game.

jay

This thread reminded me of a lot of great games. I've always really liked Archon 2, Racing Destruction Set, Mail Order Monsters, Bruce Lee, Pirates, Beachhead 2...

Maybe I should try some of those more complicated games that mesmerized me as a kid but made no sense, like Times of Lore, Autoduel, and Moebius. I think those are all Origin games, too.

Oh yeah, and BC 2 Quest for Tires was scary as hell.

I always thought it was Wizball but I've just realised it's actually Bruce Lee. Huh.

Bruce Lee was one of my favourites and I had a lot of fun with it; I've recently watched a Youtube video and it was very different from what I was recalling.

This vaguely reminds there was another beat/em up game with a sort of Bruce Lee with a numchanka fighting hordes of enemies in a building, there were also boss fights in it.

Impossible Mission

Impossible mission was nice and all but as much as I tried I could not figure out what was the purpose of the game other than aimlessly entering random rooms trying not to get killed; I tend to put it into that same category of games that I wanted to like but I could not get into, like Spy vs Spy or Spiderman - the text adventure game.

Oh yeah, and BC 2 Quest for Tires was scary as hell.

Yeah, that one with the caveman, it was nice!

Volcane

I loved my C64. I had so many games for it.

Some that I remember:-

Microprose Soccer
Chase HQ
Batman
Robocop
Wizball
Last Ninja games
Lords of Midnight + Doomdarks Revenge
Total Eclipse
Elite
Creatures 1 & 2
Cybernoid
Stunt Car Racer
Turrican 1 & 2
Druid
Bounder
Arkanoid
Basil the Great Mouse Detective
Exile
Foxx Fights Back
The Untouchables
Jack the Nipper
Mercenary
Myth
Netherworld
The New Zealand Story
Hunter's Moon
Sanxion
Retrograde
Hawkeye
Trailblazer

Bydobob

Oh what have you done! Far too many to mention, but rattled off the top of my head:

Boulderdash
Impossible Mission
Pitstop II
Spindizzy
Paradroid
Ballblazer
Cosmic Causeway
The Eidolon
Ghosts 'n' Goblins
S.E.U.C.K (shoot 'em up construction kit)
Wizball
Desert Fox
Druid
The Last Ninja
Nebulus
Spy vs Spy
Uridium +
World Games
International Karate +
Turrican
Bubble Bobble
Green Beret
Head Over Heels
Emelyn Hughes International Soccer
Creatures
Rick Dangerous 2
Armalyte

If that looks like a huge list bear in mind in its heyday there were around 30 releases a month on C64, with usually at least one stellar release among all the pap.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
i owned that one ...was pretty terrible, but i still played it because of my love for wrestling at the time and that being the only wrestling game i had.

some of the games i played a lot were ...

Spy vs Spy
The Way of the Exploding Fist
Defender of the Crown
Aztec Challenge
Ghostbusters
Aliens
Summer Games
Winter Games
Bop n Wrestle

From what I can remember it was the first wrestling game I'd ever seen for a home system, so that was my only reason for buying and playing the crap out of it.

I remember Epyx released a MUCH nicer wrestling title later, the name of which escapes me. Maybe something like Main Event?

Also...
Yie Ar Kung Fu - I frickin' BEAT using an Atari 2600 controller! I don't think I could come anywhere close these days.
Miner 2049er - A classic.
Boulder Dash - Another classic

GrayFoxPL

I'm having multiple nostalgia orgasms.

Hard to mention a few.

Dizzy series

Flimbo's Quest

Aliens (Ocean)

Infiltrator 2

International Karate

The Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils

Barbarian 2

Top Cat

Summer Camp

California Games

Neverending Story 2

And many many more.

SmokyDave

Possibly my favourite system ever. It was also the first gaming machine that was mine rather than shared with my siblings or a 'family' machine.

I've been thinking about this all day and I reckon I've decided. It's Creatures 2: Torture Trouble. That's my final answer.

Edit: no, it's Stunt Car Racer. Or possibly Badlands. Maybe Reckless Rufus.

No, it's definitely Creatures 2. Definitely.

Edit edit: I mean Stunt Car Racer. For sure this time. Not Rodland. Not BMX Simulator.

Armalyte
Armalyte_Ingame.gif

Citadel (the Martin Walker game)
Citadel8.jpg

The Sentinel (a game where the slow frame-rate enhannced the atmosphere immeasurably)
Thesentinelturn.GIF

Winter Games, World Games and California Games
WinterGames_D2_Biathlon.gif

WorldGames_D5_Animation.gif

CaliforniaGames_Ani3.gif

Gribbly's Day Out
Gribbly_Animation.gif

Mercenary (3D open-world game, exceptional frame-rate. No idea what happened to Paul Woakes though)
jpg

Bard's Tale III
630-Bards%20Tale%203-4.gif

Battletech - The Crescent Hawk's Inception
6a013487f2f5a1970c0147e0550ab5970b-pi

Kickstart II
ks5.png

Iridis Alpha
Iridisalphaentropy.gif

Of course it doesn't make sense. It's a Jeff Minter game.

Dropzone
Dropzone-Spiel.gif

Intensity (lesser-known Andrew 'Uridium' Braybook game. A shooter with no bullets)
Intensity6.jpg

Drelbs
Drelbs.png

And an awful lot more.

I was a huge fan of games like Armalyte and Retrograde and Creatures. Years later I found myself working at HotGen studios, headed by Probe's Fergus McGovern. Who should I find myself working with but the programmers of those games, including the graphic artist too. Childhood dream come true. Very very good people, down to earth, modest but supremely talented.

This thread is great. :)

Helznicht

Has to be Pitstop II

Pitstop_ii-c64.png

Split Screen and an integrated working pit stop (fuels usage and wear and tear). Is there a racing game that actually does this today?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Galactic Gardener! That sound effect when you respawn is impossibly great!

Galactic_Gardener.png

Top Bottom