• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Movies with Under 30% on RottenTomatoes, Least Favorites with Over 90%?

Ornlu

Banned
Certified Brap Classics Under 30%:

American Pie Presents: Band Camp
Black Christmas 2006
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Cradle 2 the Grave (legit 8.5/10 movie right here)
Friday the 13th Part 2
SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL
Clifford
Not Another Teen Movie
House of Wax 2005
The Pest
Urban Legend

and lots more

Wait, The Pest is under 30%??? That movie was fucking great.

Mahadev

As far as I'm concerned both of Peele's movies are overrated allegorical garbage that only had these ratings because critics wanted to virtue signal. Especially the second one is lazy and nonsensical and was trying to so hard to focus on the message that it forgot to create a decent plot and characters. I found both just creepy but not scary but I guess that's subjective. As evident by Twilight Zone Peele is getting so used to smelling his own farts that I expect the next one to be even worse.

Honorable mention but not over 90% goes to High Life with 83%. One of the most pretentious, boring and pointless pieces of crap I've ever watched in my life. It actually makes me frustrated trying to figure out what kind of of pretentious hacks would suggest this trash to viewers, movie critics really can't be trusted anymore. The movie is objectively fucking terrible.

Last edited:

Domisto

what? Urban Legend is great, should not be at 19%

not sure I'd call them favourites but I also like
The Golden Child 26%
Godzilla 1998 16%
Jupiter Ascending 27%

thought Guardians of the Galaxy was a bit shit (91%)
Mandy was boring (91%)

Dural

I remember being surprised to find out that Hook only got 26%

What!? That's a classic!

I have to echo what many have said, TLJ is my least favorite 90%+ movie. Also wasn't a fan of Coco, the story sucked and the song that's played over and over isn't any good. My least favorite Pixar movie.

It looks like Hocus Pocus is at 33%, close enough and a Halloween classic. I have kids, so I watch a lot of family friendly movies and they're rarely highly rated. The Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, Bedtime Stories, Heavyweights, and Home Alone 2.

TTOOLL

I don't really have a 'least favorite,' but my answer is anything on this list (except Mad Max) from the past 10 years:

BCv5jQF.png

I'm not sure where to find a list of movies under 30%. Every list I've seen starts at around 5% and goes down from there.

lmao, I don't mean to derail the thread but holy shit, black panther and wonder woman?? hahaahahhhahaha tells us a lot about "critics" today.

Mahadev

I don't really have a 'least favorite,' but my answer is anything on this list (except Mad Max) from the past 10 years:

BCv5jQF.png

I'm not sure where to find a list of movies under 30%. Every list I've seen starts at around 5% and goes down from there.

Dunkirk, the movie with the most superficial plot and characters I've ever seen from Nolan is at 92%? Not a bad movie btw, the suspense carried it but it's definitely not 92% movie. Interstellar which I consider a fucking masterpiece is at 72%. I don't understand these ratings anymore,

MacReady13

8mm with Nic Cage. I was shocked to find out critics shat all over this movie. I thought it was a great thriller and man did it get dark!

Moonlight. Not an awful movie, but it was Oscar bait.

I haven't seen Moonlight (and have no intention of seeing it) but I have seen 8mm and think it is a really good film. So tense, especially that last part with the record player making the ticking noise and Nic Cage finding that killer. Such a good film. Such a dark (scary) film as well.

brian0057

Banned

BCv5jQF.png

I agree with this list except for two movies:
  • The Third Man: a superb noir film and a mayor inspiration for the Thief series (Except for that dumpster fire from 2014).
  • Coco: Maybe it's because I'm from Latin America but I love this movie to death.
Everything else, with Inside Out as a possible exception, is overrated trash.

MacReady13

The director expressed disappointment with the work but he looks like the type to cuck out into saying it from the poor reviews it got. I loved the movie.

He did the same with another 1 of his movies that got shitted on by critics but that I love- Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.

DKehoe

Dunkirk, the movie with the most superficial plot and characters I've ever seen from Nolan is at 92%? Not a bad movie btw, the suspense carried it but it's definitely not 92% movie. Interstellar which I consider a fucking masterpiece is at 72%. I don't understand these ratings anymore,

It's just a percentage of how many critics liked it or not. It doesn't take into account how much someone liked it. Just a binary positive or negative score. So if every critic says "yeh, it was pretty decent I guess" about a film then that's 100% Whereas if 70% of critics thought something was the best ever and 30% said they didn't get it then that's a 70% score. So playing it safe but executing on that well is going to score better than something that takes some more risks. RT can be handy for getting a quick snapshot as to what the consensus on something is but it's not the be all end all when it comes to finding out what people think of a film.

I don't think I've heard too many people who actively dislikes Dunkirk whereas I have heard quite a few people who don't like Interstellar. Personally I prefer Interstellar but I'm not surprised Dunkirk got the higher RT score for the reasons I said.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
nah it's a terrible movie. even with Christmas shill movies you have way better to choose from. Ernest Saves is way funnier and there's that coked out Dudley Moore one too.

i mean, the movie is centered around a superhero character called Turbo Man. anyone who has Arnold attempt to say these two words knows this was a bad idea from the start.

Sinbad is fun as the lunatic postal worker tho. i got to admit i'd watch this again, but let's not kid ourselves, it would be like rubbernecking a car wreck.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
anyone know how to search for movies below a certain rating? the site itself is no good LOL the search is terrible for this sort of thing.

Mahadev

It's just a percentage of how many critics liked it or not. It doesn't take into account how much someone liked it. Just a binary positive or negative score. So if every critic says "yeh, it was pretty decent I guess" about a film then that's 100% Whereas if 70% of critics thought something was the best ever and 30% said they didn't get it then that's a 70% score. So playing it safe but executing on that well is going to score better than something that takes some more risks. RT can be handy for getting a quick snapshot as to what the consensus on something is but it's not the be all end all when it comes to finding out what people think of a film.

I don't think I've heard too many people who actively dislikes Dunkirk whereas I have heard quite a few people who don't like Interstellar. Personally I prefer Interstellar but I'm not surprised Dunkirk got the higher RT score for the reasons I said.

On metacritic the difference is even bigger though.

Last edited:

iorek21

Black Panther is not even top 5 in Marvel movies, it doesn't deserve such a high score

CGI was crap, plot was generic hero-comes-back-after-defeat, uninsteresting big climax battle and so on...

Im usually not very critical for CGI, but even my apologising eyes were able to notice the movie's TERRIBLE CGI in multiple scenes

It's only high ranking because of identity and political reasons, not quality

Top Bottom