• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Movies with Under 30% on RottenTomatoes, Least Favorites with Over 90%?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hey GAF! Let's talk about movies. While it may be typical for audiences and critics to generally agree on the quality of most films, sometimes we're all the contrarian. We don't want to be, but we can't really control what we enjoy. With which films did you find yourself completely at odds with critics and other audience members? Which critically panned movies do you love, which acclaimed films do you hate? Which masterpieces have critics overlooked, and schlockjobs overpraised?

Bonus points if one of your all-time favorites has under 30%.

Open up for us! Big rule though: NO SHAMING! Nearly every take here is bound to be unpopular, so we'll have no disputes. Everyone tastes sometimes skews from the norm. Maybe we'll even learn to see some of these movies from another point of view.

I'll let some other brave soul take the first confession.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Great movie = Boat Trip = 7%

Shit movie = LA Confidential = 99%
Tell me more? I haven't seen either of these.

If you ask me, the 2002 remake of The Time Machine was a delight. Wonderful presentation. Sitting at 29%.

I hate The Last Jedi (91%). Never seen a movie try so hard to tell me it was smart, while half-ironically pulling each of its stunts, and using its composition specifically to indicate its story was going another way. That's just setting up a formula of lying to the audience, gets real predictable real fast. It's the sorta shit you see from films attempting to imitate Game of Thrones, without understanding why GoT worked so well. Except here you also get that "haha but is not really earnest don't laugh at it please :)"

Last edited:

Quasicat

Wow! PLEX made this really easy since the Rotten Tomatoes Metadata is built in.
My favorite at a whopping 13% is The Distinguished Gentleman with Eddie Murphy. I love him in that movie!
The closest one that I do not like is at 88% and it’s the Breakfast Club. I really did not get why people like that one. I probably just didn’t get it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tell me more? I haven't seen either of these.

If you ask me, the 2002 remake of The Time Machine was a delight. Wonderful presentation. Sitting at 29%.

I hate The Last Jedi (91%). Never seen a movie try so hard to tell me it was smart, while half-ironically pulling each of its stunts, and using its composition specifically to indicate its story was going another way. That's just setting up a formula of lying to the audience, gets real predictable real fast. It's the sorta shit you see from films attempting to imitate Game of Thrones, without understanding why GoT worked so well. Except here you also get that "haha but is not really earnest don't laugh at it please :)"
I don't want spoil it for you, but Boat Trip is a super cheesy comedy movie with Cuba Gooding Jr and Horacio Sanz put on a special cruise ship. Hilarious.

LA Confidential is this drama movie set in the 50s or 60s. Crime thriller. I don't think I met one person or read one review saying it's bad. Everyone seemed to love it. I thought it was the most boring waste of time ever. As usual, Russell Crowe tries to play this tough guy role. At that time, he got pigeon holed into thinking he's a gladiator tough dude in every role.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow! PLEX made this really easy since the Rotten Tomatoes Metadata is built in.
My favorite at a whopping 13% is The Distinguished Gentleman with Eddie Murphy. I love him in that movie!
The closest one that I do not like is at 88% and it’s the Breakfast Club. I really did not get why people like that one. I probably just didn’t get it.
I think BC is okay. Best part is the principal Paul Gleason (RIP) who plays hilarious mean roles. He was in Trading Places too.

A movie like BC is gold during that 80s era of teen movies (even though every actor is probably 25 in the movie) where some comedy, romance, and cheesiness = classic. Some who is middle aged probably remembers that movie as great. Have a high schooler watch that movie now, and they'd shut it off in the first 10 minutes.

In modern day, a movie like that getting released to theatres would get trashed. Many tried during the 90s and 2000s and most get rated poorly.

Last edited:

TUROK

I think Transformers 2, 4, and 5 are under the 30 mark, but I love those. I'll never get tired of seeing giant robots kill each other with Mortal Kombat moves.

The Bourne Ultimatum is one of those films that's always underwhelmed me. There's some good stuff in there, but it's hampered by the shaky, quickly cut nature of the action scenes (which there aren't a lot of) and the CIA people just seem really incompetent. I mean, how many times are they gonna fall for the "oh mah gawd, Jason Bourne said he was gonna be in one place but he's actually in another!" thing? Not a bad film, but it ain't for me.

s34ab

Banned
I don't really have a 'least favorite,' but my answer is anything on this list (except Mad Max) from the past 10 years:

BCv5jQF.png

I'm not sure where to find a list of movies under 30%. Every list I've seen starts at around 5% and goes down from there.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought the movie Boyhood was kind of boring. I appreciate a movie that spanned that long of a time, but I couldn't stand the main character who the film was centered on so it kinda killed the film for me.

But probably Birdman more than any. It won best picture, I have no fucking idea how I thought it was complete and utter trash. And I love "artsy" movies or movies that are a little out there, and "oddly brilliant" but man that movie just flat out sucked.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My feeling is that the best stuff tends to lie closer to the middle ratings-wise than either extreme.

The plain truth is that if everybody likes a thing, then the chances are its as challenging as babyfood. If at least some people don't hate, or just plain "don't get it", then there's self evidently nothing extraordinary about it.

This effect recedes over time, because obviously if you see a movie that has a profound effect on the way all movies are made thereafter, or remains beloved for decades then there's pretty inarguably something there.

However if it contemporarily its a thing everyone seems to love, then that's just an indication that its serving the "flavor of the month". The list s34ab posted above shows this clearly; most of the recent titles posture appropriately to the current vogue for identity politics and are get treated like sacred cows.

This isn't to say they are bad movies, its just that their shortcomings are being overlooked in a bid not to look politically incorrect. For example Get Out is a really good movie, but at the end of the day all it offers is racial spin on The Stepford Wives. Its not especially daring or revolutionary, but its an entertaining piece of genre hokum.

brap

Banned
Certified Brap Classics Under 30%:

American Pie Presents: Band Camp
Black Christmas 2006
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Cradle 2 the Grave (legit 8.5/10 movie right here)
Friday the 13th Part 2
SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL
Clifford
Not Another Teen Movie
House of Wax 2005
The Pest
Urban Legend

and lots more

Last edited:
Under 30%? Bad Boys II

Over 90%? Searching (fuck that movie).

HOT TAKES INCOMING:

Under 30% I liked:
  • Terminator: Genisys.
  • 2 Fast 2 Furious.
  • Evolution.
  • Doom.
Over 85% I disliked:
  • Blade Runner 2049.
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (or anything Disney Star Wars).
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  • Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

There is no God.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
My feeling is that the best stuff tends to lie closer to the middle ratings-wise than either extreme.

The plain truth is that if everybody likes a thing, then the chances are its as challenging as babyfood. If at least some people don't hate, or just plain "don't get it", then there's self evidently nothing extraordinary about it.

This effect recedes over time, because obviously if you see a movie that has a profound effect on the way all movies are made thereafter, or remains beloved for decades then there's pretty inarguably something there.

However if it contemporarily its a thing everyone seems to love, then that's just an indication that its serving the "flavor of the month". The list s34ab posted above shows this clearly; most of the recent titles posture appropriately to the current vogue for identity politics and are get treated like sacred cows.

This isn't to say they are bad movies, its just that their shortcomings are being overlooked in a bid not to look politically incorrect. For example Get Out is a really good movie, but at the end of the day all it offers is racial spin on The Stepford Wives. Its not especially daring or revolutionary, but its an entertaining piece of genre hokum.
Oh I totally agree, a great portion of my favorites vary from 40-70%, but of the under 30%s and over 90%s you've seen, which ones did you like/dislike most?

EDIT: Okay, you know what's some of the worst shit I've ever seen?
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes. Goddamn are these two of the most insufferingly pandering shitflicks I've ever forced myself through. War especially, that's gotta be one of the worst films ever made, and it's sitting at 93% with 336 reviews (Dawn is at 91%, 306). Every Matt Reeves film treats its audience like they're toddlers, and seemingly most viewers actually bend over and lick at his shitstained boots and beg "yes master step in more dogshit master."
I'll save on shouting about Let Me In since it's at 88%.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

Under 30%: Boondock Saints (also one of my favs in general)
Without a Paddle (definitely doesn't deserve 14%)
Dislikes:
Get Out
Star Wars Episodes IV and VI.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh yeah, I forgot I watched Get Out. Shit movie honestly. Modern horror is trash.
Try indie horror! Indies beat the fucking life out of blockbusters.
Well, for supernatural horror at least. S'pose each person's scared by different sub-genres. For me it's gotta be supernatural or I ain't shaking.

brap

Banned
Try indie horror! Indies beat the fucking life out of blockbusters.
Well, for supernatural horror at least. S'pose each person's scared by different sub-genres. For me it's gotta be supernatural or I ain't shaking.
I don't like supernatural horror, self aware horror, horror comedies, or slow horror like The VVitch where nothing happens. I don't really watch modern movies anyway either.

Prison Mike

Banned

Black Christmas 2006
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Friday the 13th Part 2
Clifford
Not Another Teen Movie
House of Wax 2005
The Pest
Urban Legend

and lots more
Definitely cradle 2 the grave films fucking great

I don't really have a 'least favorite,' but my answer is anything on this list (except Mad Max) from the past 10 years:

BCv5jQF.png

I'm not sure where to find a list of movies under 30%. Every list I've seen starts at around 5% and goes down from there.
That list is hilarious. 1950-2015 didn't exist.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Found a couple just out of the range.
Ant man and the wasp at 88% is way to high. Can't say I hate it, bit it is definitely mediocre.
Hackers at 33% is a movie I genuinely love, not ironically, but I fully enjoy the movie.
Also - I was happy to see the original assault on precinct 13 in the top 100 action movies list, one of my all time favorite movies.

ROMhack

I only watch pretentious films but here's my spicy takes:

Childhood of a Leader, 89% - Awful movie that people only liked because they think everything is fascism.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 88% - Way too saccharine for my blood.
Amelie, 89% - See above but add 'the French Forrest Gump'.
The Martian, 91% - See above but add 'in space'.

I can't find any really lowly rated films but here's a few I liked more than critics:

Knight of Cups, 47%
Noriko's Dinner Party, 64%
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, 62%
Cosmopolis, 66%

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Showgirls - 22% - It’s so hilariously cheap and funny. Had a blast with it.

Avengers: Endgame - 94% - I really really think majority of the Marvel superhero films are overrated. It’s lots of incredibly fancy action and the stories aren’t that particularly deep. I guess the last one I liked was Wonder Woman.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
8mm with Nic Cage. I was shocked to find out critics shat all over this movie. I thought it was a great thriller and man did it get dark!

Moonlight. Not an awful movie, but it was Oscar bait.

Great Hair

Banned
Exactly this. That movie is a comedy classic. You got good taste.

You have awful taste.

First 60min are great, the rest is forgettable. The whole time hunting 2 deers made no sense, after the weeding the movie falls flat. De Niro being under attack, getting rescued by Walken whos a helipilot only to get captured minutes afterwards (both!), De Niro wanking off a soldier going nuts right before the first russian roulette.

Stock footage of vietnam, De Niro flying back to a war zone "vietnam" trying to rescue his buddy, because he fancys a woman that tells him to? The whole russian roulette subplot is laughable at best.

The Italian Job (1969) not at 90%, one of the worst shits ive seen. So many actors, like easily 20+ ... most of them had like 1 phrase, the dumb mafia plot blocking a tunnel, all of them standing .... the whole SHITTY british music on top of seeing Benny Hill as a pervert into FAT ARSES and iirc the film ends "on a cliffhanger".

Script bad
Cinematography bad
Acting bad
Music just wanna puke, that "winning song"... over and over again.

The remake is ten times better!!!! Even though it sucks once they´re back in the USA trying to get their stuff back.

Ready Player One was a huge pile of shit, everyone liked to swim in. From start to finish just utter garbage.
Coco ... just aint Pixar to me
Serpico ... repetitive, just "ok"
Baby Driver ... just nope on so many levels.

Good movie :

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Coco ... just aint Pixar to me
I didn't hate Coco, but it was such a predictable film, felt like I'd seen it hundreds of times before. Don't plan to ever see it again.
Now Big Hero 6, just below 90 at 89%, that one I found fucking awful. Somehow even more predictable than Coco as well.
Saw Toy Story 4 recently. There was a surprise. It's sitting at 97%, and I thought it was a 3.5/10 at best. Weak, cringy, hollow. Guess Disney and Pixar don't have to try hard for critical buzz.

Looked at the bottom on my plex. Strange Wilderness is prolly 3% and it destroyed me on the theater. Mandy was less of a movie and more of a visual spell that puts you asleep. Also coco was so whatever

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

Black Christmas 2006
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Friday the 13th Part 2
Clifford
Not Another Teen Movie
House of Wax 2005
The Pest
Urban Legend

and lots more

fun fact about me: the guy who wrote Band Camp knew my wife in high school. They were in band together.The script is basically about their alma mater.

Fbh

Awww, this thread instantly made me think about Battleship but at 34% it doesn't make the cut.

Anyway, then I'd have to go with Nick Cage's Wicker Man. The combination of how bad it is while trying to be serious and scary combined with Cage at his best is pure gold.

ff7b27522395ab872fe9477e697c6a26.gif

And least Favorite is easily The Last Jedi. I don't even give a crap about "what they did to Luke", the movie is just a boring and badly written slog with a bunch of unlikeable characers. One of the few movie going experiences in my life where I checked my watch a couple of times wondering how much time there was left until it was over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom