• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FDA approves first video game for ADHD treatment

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

(CNN)The first video game-based treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The video game, called EndeavorRx and approved on Monday, will be prescription only and aimed at children between the ages of eight and 12 with certain types of ADHD.

It will be used alongside other treatments, such as clinician-directed therapy, medication and educational programs.

Looks like garbage

samporter

Banned
This may be a step in the right direction to incorporate technology/games into the classroom. With the high rate of diagnose learn disabilities in public schools, this could provide a great tool/distraction for teachers to discipline low performing students without resorting to suspension. A student is misbehaving, teacher sends him to visit the main office where he can play/take his medicine. Gets the student away from distracting the other students who want to learn while keeping the misbehaving student busy.

SirTerry-T

Yeah, I have a kid with ADHD and she gravitates towards games with constant action, such as those Birdo mentions above, or games such as Animal Crossing, where the more leisurely pace lets her control how she plays the game.
Not sure there is a "magic bullet" style of game for kids with ADHD to be honest.

Last edited:

OutRun88

The Times
EndeavorRx is delivered via a video game

Psychology Today
However, EndeavorRx did not outperform the control game on several questionnaires, including ones which included more specific questions for parents, such as how often their child “has difficulty organizing task and activities” and “talks excessively.” It is possible that the game helped the children improve their focus on computer screens, as the T.O.V.A. demands, but not in other areas.
It’s also important to note that all five studies were funded by the game developers, which means additional objective studies must be run to validate these results. Additionally, the control game was a word puzzle video game, which further complicates the results; the games' genres could have accounted for the differences the researchers found.

You can't make this stuff up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would have loved this as a kid. I was put on Prozac and Adderal. My weight went down and my grades were good. That’s until I stopped taking the meds.

I played video games, but we all know what parents say about video games at that age. It probably caused me more stress having them bad mouth me for playing them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom