• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FDA Approves OxyContin for Kids as Young as 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siegcram

This simply is not true, it's even been medically proven edible cannabis is actually better for both chronic/long term pain management than opiates
If you're talking about the UCSF study from 4 years ago, it suggests a combination of cannabinoids and opiates, not replacing one with the other. To my knowledge that's the last credible study on such matters.

Amir0x

Banned
Also - You think synthetic opiates are an astonishing medical breakthrough?

Sorry I don't engage in strawmen. You said that this opiate didn't even exist 30 years ago (false, much like the rest of your info: oxycodone was invented in 1917), and the world went on without it. I was suggesting that this sort of bullshit logic can be applied to anything, whether you think that something is a good thing or not. The world will go on even without any Doctors at all, it does not mean it's a good thing.

But yes, of course it is a fantastic medical breakthrough - it has helped millions and millions of patients over the years manage pain, factually. Indisputably. Your nonsense about cannabis is just that for them.

Great let's permanently fuck up the dopamine reward system in kids too, can't see anything going wrong with this

The kids this would be prescribed for are in terrible shape to begin with.

jesus Christ. I hope no one posting these things has a child that is in need of these medications and treatments. Perhaps some folks should be volunteering in the children's hospitals for some perspective.

entremet

I'm seeing a combination of using cannabis with opioids in conjunction and concerns with cannabis side effects like impaired motor functions.

I'm aware that CBD can reduce chronic pain to a degree, however, there are no studies that show it's as effective as opioids are, without the terrible side effects--brain development in young people, paranoia, impaired motor function.

Opiods have there own issues, but there is a reason why they're so common. They're effective at reducing long term chronic pain more than any other drug class.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The kids this would be prescribed for are in terrible shape to begin with.

jesus Christ. I hope no one posting these things has a child that is in need of these medications and treatments. Perhaps some folks should be volunteering in the children's hospitals for some perspective.

and it says it right in the article too
Dr. Hertz added that OxyContin’s new pediatric approval is similar to its approved use in adults: to manage “pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment for which alternative treatment options are inadequate.” But she said unlike the adult indication, the pediatric indication stipulates that before a child can be prescribed OxyContin, he or she must already be taking and tolerating at least 20 mg of oxycodone a day.

Amir0x

Banned

Link 1:

When used in conjunction with opiates, cannabinoids lead to a greater cumulative relief of pain, resulting in a reduction in the use of opiates (and associated side-effects) by patients in a clinical setting. Additionally, cannabinoids can prevent the development of tolerance to and withdrawal from opiates, and can even rekindle opiate analgesia after a prior dosage has become ineffective.

Laymans terms: Using cannabis WITH opiates like oxycodone lead to superior pain relief and can reduce withdrawals when coming off opiates.

Link 2:

The discovery of cannabinoid receptors and their putative endogenous ligands raises questions as to the nature of the effects produced by cannabinoids on neural circuits that mediate pain and whether endogenous cannabinoids produced by the brain or in the periphery serve naturally to modulate pain. A sizable body of previous work showed that cannabinoid agonists suppress pain behavior in a variety of models of acute and chronic pain.

This is just a study showing cannabis can deal with some pain, not that it is an equal pain relief method to opiates.

Link 3:

Cannabinoids and opioids share several pharmacologic properties and may act synergistically. The potential pharmacokinetics and the safety of the combination in humans are unknown. We therefore undertook a study to answer these questions.

This is just a study meant to test what the combination of cannabis and opiates would result in, and if the combinations were even safe at all. Once again, not about cannabis being more or equally effective to opiates for chronic long-term pain treatment.

Link 4:

Multiple lines of evidence indicate that endocannabinoids serve naturally to suppress pain. While it is now clear that cannabinoids suppress nociceptive neurotransmission, more work is needed to establish the clinical utility of these compounds. The few human studies conducted to date produced mixed results, with more promising findings coming from studies of clinical pain as compared with experimental pain. The therapeutic potential of cannabinoids remains an important topic for future investigations.

A more in-depth analysis of the various studies and tests that have been done surrounding why cannabis deals with pain and how effective it is. Once again, not about cannabis being more or equally effective to opiates for chronic long-term pain treatment.

Try harder.

You replied literally 9 minutes after I posted those links - wow you must be some super genius to read every single study, understand them and then post your replies.

I don't think I am gonna try harder, you win super genius forum post master

KHarvey16

You replied literally 9 minutes after I posted those links - wow you must be some super genius to read every single study, understand them and then post your replies.

There are summaries for each. We read them but clearly you didn't.

There are summaries for each. We read them but clearly you didn't.

Well then you and that other poster can both bask in your online pseudo genius together because even just reading the summaries and posting a thought out reply in less than 10 minutes is impressive

Guess this is why you both average 25 posts a day while the rest of us plebs are not worthy and regulated to discussions and time spent in real life

Siegcram

All these studies are some variant of this one.

There exists no medical evidence that replacing opiates with marijuana of whatever form in pain therapy is in any way strictly preferable.

Alucrid

Banned

Well it only took you five minutes to read all of them, so I guess you're a super super genius.

KHarvey16

Well then you and that other poster can both bask in your online pseudo genius together because even just reading the summaries and posting a thought out reply in less than 10 minutes is impressive

Guess this is why you both average 25 posts a day while the rest of us plebs are not worthy and regulated to discussions and time spent in real life

Oh man, I hope cannabis is effective for burn wounds.

entremet

No need to get defensive, there's just no evidence that cannabis is as effective as opioids in pain management.

It's fine to be wrong. I'm wrong a lot!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
cannabis can be used with other treatment including opioids to mitigate side effects,some pain, especially nausea and appetite but their is no evidence it being a replacement for first line treatments such as opioids.

There are a couple of synthetic cannaboids drugs on the market already.

Hugstable

Banned
Did either of you even read the article?

Sorry if my post came out the way it did earlier, I was confused a bit about the article and thought they were going to start prescribing more often or something not just to kids who were in such a terrible state that they would need a medicine like that. I more just overreacted to the title of the topic because I do have a history with the medicine and it scares me a bit. I have no problem though with anyone who really needs it getting the medicine including kids, topic title just scared me thinking that it was going to be prescribed to alot of kids for pain, silly of me to even think that really.

gohepcat

Banned
All you kids with bone cancer should just suck it up.

There are people in this thread who don't understand what the world was like before modern pain medications and the idea that you would keep relief from a child in agony is idiotic.

Seems like a weird reaction.

"Hey this thing is available that wasn't available we think it'll help sick kids"

"Yeah but think of the kids that...still won't get it! Because what if their parents steal it! Awful."

There's no real downside here

Oh I was referencing this part:

She added: “Parents and caregivers should follow all the usual safeguards for storing powerful medications when OxyContin is in their home. Briefly, make sure the medications are stored securely so young children never have direct access and also so that no one else in the household such as older children, siblings, friends, or other visitors have direct access.

I just found it funny that they give this solution to the issue that people might steal them but they ignore that it's often adult family members who steal these things and not necessarily children. But overall I do think it's a good thing.

Amir0x

Banned

I just want to highlight that Jaladinozozo's remarkable response to his own argument of posting studies is to imply

1. He didn't read them himself
2. That we're all super geniuses for having read them in less than 10 minutes and suited a reply.
3. That "you guys post so much herpity derp 25 posts per day"
4. That it's about basking in "pseudo genius".

At no point did he actually bother to refute the arguments being responded with that his studies weren't about cannabis being equally effective for treatment of pain to opiates. For the record.

Maybe it's time for some introspection that you vomited out nonsense in support of your imagined alternative to opiates because the very idea of opiates for treatment of long-term chronic pain is repulsive to you and you were willing to invent bullshit to support your hypothesis.

All you kids with bone cancer should just suck it up.

There are people in this thread who don't understand what the world was like before modern pain medications and the idea that you would keep relief from a child in agony is idiotic.

How do you and everyone else in this thread not see the huge money grab going on here?

Oxycontin is a brand, so are all its variants, so is Suboxone which you use to get off of it - it all makes tons of money for a few specific companies.

This has nothing to do with what's good for these kids (they can still receive any other low dose opiate or generic one), its just about increasing their "product line" to one more "model" and the majority of you are defending this disgusting legal pedaling and branding of drugs

entremet

How do you and everyone else in this thread not see the huge money grab going on here?

Oxycontin is a brand, so are all its variants, so is Suboxone which you use to get off of it - it all makes tons of money for a few specific companies.

This has nothing to do with what's good for these kids (they can still receive any other low dose opiate or generic one), its just about increasing their "product line" to one more "model" and the majority of you are defending this disgusting legal pedaling and branding of drugs

But the kids getting Oxycotin are already on opioids?

Siegcram

Coming from the guy hailing medical marijuana as the next coming this is pretty hilarious.

Alucrid

Banned

you should become the batman of edibles. sneak into hospitals in the night, take away the children's oxycotin and shove their mouths full of brownies to dull their pain. show those doctors and corporations that they won't profit off the pain and addiction of kids

Amir0x

Banned

you can say this about most medications, regardless of how effective or not they are (that they are also "brands" which make tons of money for specific companies). Doesn't mean we don't prescribe them when they work. This is hippie commune stuff - companies wouldn't make the medication if they couldn't make money from it. What's your alternative? Hold hands, smoke a bong and sing songs?

opiates are factually effective for treatment of chronic pain. One of the most effective we have. Until that changes, it will continue to be used since that's better than the alternative of dealing day-in and day-out with pain so severe that it cripples your ability to function.

Time to deal.with.it. Or maybe you'll just quick link 8 more studies which you failed to read and then get angry at all the posters who do the reading for you?

KHarvey16

Would just like to point out that since Amirox is the only one of us to maintain an average posts per day of 25+, he alone occupies super psuedo-genius status. The rest of us are mere pretenders!

Honestly, couldn't even research his insults properly.

Valnen

This sounds like conspiracy theory territory to me.

nilbog21

Banned
I had a good friend die on this stuff.. Be careful kids =(

And to think this is legal for 10 yr old and cannabis illegal for adults lol

Huff

Banned

Kids have already been getting oxycotin and other LA opiates off label. So that doesnt have much to do with it.

Might lessen the cost as insurance companies are more likely to pay for fda approved indications

soo.. are we really debating about a painkiller (a strong painkiller that can be abused) is suitable for children in severe pain because it's usable for other things?
IF the clinical trial are not make-do-believe, but are real, I don't see any problem..
Sure it's not perfect but then again, imagine that you you're 11 y/o has some disease that cause him extreme pain and this pain cannot be erased in any other manner.. if this product can make your children life better AND the doctor properly prescribe it, are you really saying that you'd rather your children suffer?

slit

That's pretty fucked up and disturbing.

What the fuck how is something like this even a consideration. Please don't do this, do hurt this kids lives by letting them get ahold of this substance, this just sounds so bad.

Yes let children suffer in pain, even if it's given under the direct supervision of a doctor because it sounds bad. Fuck medical evidence to the contrary!

dabig2

As long as it's not pot. That would be outrageous.

Yeah, but pot is cheap meaning the poors can get it and use it without drug companies making a shit ton of profit. In other words, no incentive for these companies. But synthetic heroin, they need them for that shit. And it's really, really expensive.

Amory

Yeah, but pot is cheap meaning the poors can get it and use it without drug companies making a shit ton of profit. In other words, no incentive for these companies. But synthetic heroin, they need them for that shit. And it's really, really expensive.

The FDA is one government organization that pretty much works as intended.

They're hardly corporate shills

jb1234

As someone who lives with severe chronic pain, I can attest that cannabis is worthless. Only opioids take the edge off.

Everyone's different and everyone responds to the drugs differently. If the kids need oxy, give it to them. Untreated pain can kill.

slit

So glad you know what kind of opiates doctors should be treating their patients with. Hey medical school GAF, forgot experience just ask Jaladinozozo. He has all the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom