• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin

Banned
That's still 3 freaking GB out of the 8 reserved for the OS or whatever, the hell?
A bit overkill on the reservation, I mean like damn what are they going to need all that memory for?

shinnn

Actually I am pissed Sony are charging for online. However I have no choice, I don't want to game on PC and both nextgen consoles charge for online play, so I have to go for the cheaper option, PSN+ is cheaper than Gold and of course the system is cheaper than Xbox One. I blame Sony for charging for online, but I also blame the people who payed for Gold too.
Are you sure you got pissed and blamed Sony?

As a PSN+ subscriber this doesn't affect me, but I can see why people would be pissed (note PSN+ is awesome so dont worry). I am glad Sony didn't go all out by blocking Netflix and etc.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I guess I do. Vita? Seriously?

Yes, seriously. I kind of want to see people attacking that OS's performance, features, responsiveness, and usability (even though there is a non trivial portion of subjectivity there) or at least try to do so.
Same for the actual CPU, RAM setup, and GPU used.

Are you sure you got pissed and blamed Sony?
What you quoted doesn't seem to disagree with what he said. He can be pissed about it and have it still not affect him.

It doesn't affect me either since I was a PS+ subscriber, but I'm still annoyed that they're charging for online.

It's the difference between offering a service people want to have and being forced into a service because they need it to fully enjoy their games.

Pistolero

5 GB of GDDR is sufficient for the kind of CPU-GPU the console has.
It's still a better RAM than the one found in the X-One, paired with a more powerful GPU (The message is aimed at the insecure Sony fans!).
Back when the console was thought to have only 4 GB of RAM, it was still deemed the more adept graphical system of the two. Now Sony just matched MS in terms of quantity...

Vestal

Gold Member
Yes, seriously. I kind of want to see people attacking that OS's performance, features, responsiveness, and usability (even though there is a non trivial portion of subjectivity there) or at least try to do so.
Same for the actual CPU, RAM setup, and GPU used.
3months from release. Would love to see it in action not just concept videos.

thuway

5 GB of GDDR is sufficient for the kind of CPU-GPU the console has.
It's still a better RAM than the one found in the X-One, paired with a more powerful GPU (The message is aimed at the insecure Sony fans!).
Back when the console was thought to have only 4 GB of RAM, it was still deemed the more adept graphical system of the two. Now Sony just matched MS in terms of quantity...

Wouldn't you like 6 though? 6 is such a nice round, even number... It has a nice ring to it too, and requires only three letters to spell : SIX .

Raymo

People didn't even care if devs were happy with the rumored 5 GB. They just wanted PS4 to have a bigger number than Xbox One. It's why you are seeing so many people happy with 6GB.

The Vita OS is pretty awesome. You can put a game into the background in less than a second, start up apps like the browser/twitter/audioplayer/etc with the game still running. It has cross game parties and chat. It's always butter smooth.

It needs work... it's not iOS or Android... but it's good. It's definitely the most full featured OS on a gaming console currently. Until the x1 and ps4 come out, i'm sure.

People didn't even care if devs were happy with the rumored 5 GB. They just wanted PS4 to have a bigger number than Xbox One. It's why you are seeing so many people happy with 6GB.

That's what makes the outrage here so hysterical. It's all outrage from fans... without a single dev anywhere on the planet complaining about it. And the devs knew this all along...

thuway

Ah thuway dropping the number. None of my guys let me say anything.

tumblr_m83ckanxdh1r4zr2vo1_500.gif

So 6 GB pretty much confirmed now.

Why everyone got so bent out of shape about this is beyond me.

6/2 split seems extremely reasonable - gives them ample RAM for games and ample room for OS expansion.

Eurogamer's credibility is seriously hurting right now. Leadbetter has been doing awful work the last month.

lol so true
devs have been working with 1/10th of that for the past decade, not to mention the bandwidth increase of GDDR5
they are all ecstatic.

yep! lol. The sad thing is this 6gb is just guess by thuway based on his opinion, and people are acting like its confirmed. sign...people want to believe it so bad.

Zornack

I don't think thats it. I think what's possibly upsetting some people is how much of the system's RAM would be devoted to the OS compared to games in the 5/3 scenario.

3 gigs is 37.5% of the RAM going to the OS. That seems like a lot. Is it really? I have no clue, but a 6/2 split (25% to OS) is more in line with the numbers from this past gen (512 MB RAM, 120 of it going to the OS at launch, so 23% to OS).

That's still 3 freaking GB out of the 8 reserved for the OS or whatever, the hell?
A bit overkill on the reservation, I mean like damn what are they going to need all that memory for?

Occulus Rift support (or similar product).
Forteleza type fuctionality, but better ;), perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom