• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Effect Reinvented heading to Switch, PS4, XB1, Steam.

BDGAME

I always want to play fear effect, but I can't back in PS1 days. So, this Remake is in my interest list.

Will buy for switch for mobility.

Asd202

Wow Fear Effect is back. Like a month ago I was thinking as to how there was so much potential in this franchise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The fact there is no backwards compatability on the PS4 makes more and more sense with each of these PS1 and PS2 generation games being remastered or remade for the current gen. No excuse but the strategy seems to be selling us updated versions of older titles instead of just giving us the ability to just play those old titles directly.

kc44135

Never played Fear Effect, but I'm definitely intrigued. So, what kind of game was Fear Effect? Survival Horror? Stealth? Puzzle focused? Did they have any focus on story?

Edit: My question was answered before I finished typing it, lol. Sounds interesting!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For anyone who doesn't know about Fear Effect 1 & 2, it was kind of styled like the older Resident Evil with fixed camera angles and some more challenging puzzles, but it was kind of more an action game with some horror elements and comedy sprinkled in. The horror element was more in the background and present in the second game though. It's probably more remembered for it's pretty unique aesthetic and raunchy at the time themes and scenes than the actual gameplay, but I'm incredibly excited by this news. Hope they're good remakes.

Shahed

I remember liking the first game, even if I can't recall much of anything from it. Only thing ie burning some paper effigies or voodoo dolls to unlock things.

Never tried the second game. My sister told me it was awful so I never bothered

GrayFoxPL

Never played Fear Effect, but I'm definitely intrigued. So, what kind of game was Fear Effect? Survival Horror? Stealth? Puzzle focused? Did they have any focus on story?

Edit: My question was answered before I finished typing it, lol. Sounds interesting!

Everything you said plus Dragon's Lair type quick decision or death.

I actually finished both in the last few years. Wonder how will they increase the content because the original is really really short.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Day one....if it's physical release.
If digital I wait for a sale.

It's not an overly difficult game, it's just unforgiving. Still, I own the original, and kickstarted sedna, so I'll probably be down to get this, if it turns out good. Originals are all but unplayable on an hdtv otherwise.

Fisty

I went from "meh" on the Fear Effect revival to "thank you GOD" with this announcement. This is what I wanted to see first, give me this game on modern platforms looking a little better. Amazing concept, lore, world, characters. I am much more open to what else this team can bring to the series now

Oh yeah. Hope it's fixed cameras and pre-rendered and they change it back to a more cel shaded art style the further into development they go.

Danneee

No spoilers, but if this remake is anything like the original, prepare to rip some hair out cause the PS1 games are BRUTALLY hard. I'll be shocked if anybody beat them without a guide or some sort.

I totally expect them to modernize everything about it. Difficulty included.

Fisty

They better not make the backgrounds in-engine. One of my favorite things about the original were the awesome look the pre-rendered backgrounds had, and they had that creepy looping effect that made them really off-putting and dream-like

ArjanN

Nice! I was hoping for this but didnt really expect it.

I don't remember the actual execution being all that hard, it think it was more a matter of knowing what to do in each scene.

Dingens

Who could've predicted that SE would be THE most committed (big) 3rd party publisher on Switch?
Unexpected, yet a nice turn of events

Jackpot

Banned
SJW a-holes coming to ruin this in 3,....2.....1....

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

ArjanN

Honestly the 'sexiness'/lipstick lesbian stuff was mostly just a 90s advertising thing. Like that Jo Guest Battlecruiser 3000AD ad, or John Romero about to make you his bitch ad.

The actual games had a somewhat mature/edgy tone, but I doubt anyone would be offended by the actual content in them nowadays. No one markets games that way anymore anyway, if anything they'd be more likely to lean into the representation angle.

I never played these games but I watched a friend play the second one for a bit. If this gets some modern enhancements and positive reception, I'm down for the Switch version. It doesn't look like it's going to be pushing any of the consoles too far, graphically.

Vespa

The originals approach to realistically represented backgrounds mixed with simple cel-shading was pretty amazing at the time and reminded me of films like Ghost in the Shell or Patlabor. I have to say that the cel-shading isn't as bold this time around and it doesn't have an aesthetic that makes it stand out like it did (or still does) like the originals. Happy to see it being remade though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wow, I remember having the original. I couldn't beat it though.

Top Bottom