• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Three, Part Two - Sundays on AMC

CKB3375

Do we know who Proctor John is? Wondering if it’ll be a big reveal in the next hour?

Is there a TWD crossover coming?

Bandit1

Second time this season. Cable TV's getting lenient with F-bombs this fall.

Hm, don't remember the first time.

Also, finding it hard to believe that Proctor John was paralyzed and they cut him open without putting him under and now he's up walking around.

Bandit1

tenor.gif

Ovid

Good episode.

Good season.

Hm, don't remember the first time.

Also, finding it hard to believe that Proctor John was paralyzed and they cut him open without putting him under and now he's up walking around.
I thought the same thing.

But whatever, it's television.

Enforced

Great finale. Wish
Troy
stick around little bit longer. I really like his character. Beside the premiere and the finale, epiosde 304 is my favorite. I had the breaking bad vibe in that episode.

BizzyBum

Damn, wasn't expecting Troy to go out like that.

At first I thought Madison just punched him in the face and he was dazed. lol

Leeness

Enjoyed the season a lot. Really fun.

I don’t give a shit about these proctors and John though, so hopefully season 4 isn’t unfortunate...

And salty about my bb Troy and how he and Nick will never see their love blossom 😭

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shows lampshading their own premises is starting to bug me. They keep saying everything is destroyed when they try to stay, but that only happens because the writers want to keep them moving and killing everyone around them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Exiting Co-Creator On ‘TWD’ Crossover & Tonight’s Finale

DEADLINE: Speaking of whatever they want, what about this long-awaited crossover that Kirkman made official at New York Comic-Con last week? If you were around running Fear for another year, who would you have the crossover character be if it came from this show?

ERICKSON: God, in terms of the crossover character? I have no idea. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine.

I do think it’s an interesting challenge. I think it’s something that the audience, the fans are definitely going to lean into until they reveal how they’re going to manage it. I also think the larger challenge logistically, and we’ve always talked about this beginning in Season 1, is from a narrative standpoint and from a timeline standpoint. And a geographic standpoint, it’s tricky too. How do you bridge that?

One of the things that I hope we’ve accomplished over the past three seasons is that we’ve created a show that’s totally specific. We live within the larger universe, and we have to abide by its rules. But that we have a look, and a tone, and a feel that’s valid unto itself. That to me is a challenge because I think you have to now find a balance between the two different tones. Then you have to figure out the narrative and the aspects of how do you get one character thousands of miles, from point A to point B.

DEADLINE: Well, there is this notion that Season 4 will see Fear at least somewhat located in Houston and we know that’s part of Michael Cudliz’s Abraham Ford journey into the world of TWD – he even tweeted a teaser of sorts after the crossover announcement was made…

JWFu5Yk.jpg

ERICKSON: Look, that city is a happy coincidence. The idea of Texas really came from the Proctor John character, nothing more planned there.

DEADLINE: Looking back over three seasons of Fear, what are you most proud of as co-creator and showrunner?

ERICKSON: I think you just spoke to it. I mean, the thing I’m most proud of is this sense that we arrived at a place where the show justified itself. I think that Season 2, if I could go back and change anything, I think it’d be a lot less boat and a lot more Mexico. I think if we would have arrived, and sort of grounded and anchored ourselves in Mexico sooner, the first half of Season 2 was far more episodic than I think that I am comfortable with. I also think that we didn’t allow ourselves enough story.

Fear the Walking Dead showrunner answers season finale burning questions

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did this work in terms of you crafting how you wanted this season to end, along with incorporating the wishes of new showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg, who are taking over, in terms of how they wanted to set things up for season 4?

DAVE ERICKSON: To be honest, I was left alone so there really wasn’t any story meetings or contacts about what the plans were for season 4. The goal for me was to wrap things up for the emotional and dramatic standpoints. We’ve been exploring violence, and morality obviously throughout the season, and I wanted to bring those things full circle.

The intention was always to destroy the thing that held back the resource and the thing that justified the violence, which was the water, so the dam was always going to go. I think that there was a version of this where if I was going to stay on it might have been a little bit more clearly defined in terms of who survived exactly, and who was going to be ready to rally and go to war with Proctor John in season 4. But being not entirely certain what the intentions were going to be from Scott’s camp, we chose to leave it a little more open-ended, so at the end obviously the only person we see make it to shore is Madison. And we can find out, as I’m sure we will, in season 4 who else made it out of the water.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Why Nick and not Strand with the detonator there at the end?

DAVE ERICKSON: Nick was looking for another way. I think what’s interesting to me is Nick kind of went back to the beginning of the relationship between Strand and Nick and in a brief pop in season 1 where Strand has the key to this cell that they’re locked in on the military base and Nick lifts stuff from his pocket. And that’s how Nick takes a little bit of control back from Strand in the season 1 finale.

And so it’s a call back to that, and I also think what it afforded Nick was an opportunity. He’s killed and he’s suffered the weight of that since the mid-season finale, and now he sees a third way. He’s looking for another way that doesn’t necessarily cause or call for violence. If that means he’s going to sacrifice himself, he’s willing to do that. So he sees an opportunity to save his family and also offer Strand a degree of mercy and forgiveness.

Everyone’s fighting for this resource. Everybody’s been seeking the water from the very beginning. It was on Strand’s agenda coming out of the gate, and what he’s trying to do is create an option where this doesn’t require violence, doesn’t require war, and I’m going to free my family in so doing and I’ll sacrifice myself if that’s the cost.

So it was important to get Nick to that place, and what he’s really doing is he’s showing Madison that there’s another way to do it. Madison has returned to violence, she’s really come full circle when she takes Troy out, and Nick recoils from that and then tries to absorb it and figure out a way to spit it back out in a somewhat more benevolent and positive sense. So that was the reason for it and I think he knew that Strand had the detonator and he knew that this was his only way to sort of kill one, two, three birds with one stone.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Explain where the idea for these very surreal and disturbing Madison Christmas dream sequences come from.

DAVE ERICKSON: I wanted to mess with the structure a little bit, and we had talked in the writers’ room about Jacob’s Ladder and this idea of her experiencing something in this dream state that we’d come to realize is not just a dream. It’s really her death and the things that she’s seeing into the final moments of her life as she drowns. It’s a world in her mind in which because of her actions Alicia has died. It’s a world in which her son looks at her with scorn, derision, and hatred. It’s a world in which there’s peace back with Luciana and they’ve had a baby, which might be a zombie baby. It’s all kind of twisted and strange.

It was building toward this idea, this image of the perfect Christmas dinner which she alludes to in episode 15. It’s seeing that and then taking it away from her, and a big part of what the finale is about is specific to Madison is this idea that she has created this compromise that may have led to this moment. and what that sort of represents is this sense that she’s responsible. And when she pulls herself from the river at the very end, it’s sort of a Bridge Over The River Kwai moment where she’s looking around and asking herself: What have I done? Directly or indirectly, she feels responsible for this. It’s a course that she set out on and took everybody with her. So it’s definitely something she’s going to have to wrestle next season and look at the destruction that she and her family have caused.

Much more at the links.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the finale was pretty darn good. This season was definitely more enjoyable than season 7 of the main show.

Random thoughts:

Humans eating (partial) zombie brains to get high on. You know Nick, we really are the walking dead.

Damn, I liked Troy. He was portrayed by one of the more magnetic actors on the show and his character was distinctively complicated - I'm sad to see him go.

Walker and Lee with the sniper kill! Yeah! That was one of the fist pumpingest moments of either series - it reminded me of (comic)
Andrea's RV rooftop sniper save at the end of the prison arc.
Those two guys have to be in season 4!

Ray McKinnon is/was a good get. Hope they keep him around next season. He makes for a good primary antagonist (which is something this show hasn't had yet).

_Nemo

Ok..the finale won me over. I've had many criticisms for this show but it's picked itself up. And I didn't know a crossover was confirmed, that's pretty cool. Is it going to be just 1 character to makes it onto the main show?

Ray McKinnon is/was a good get. Hope they keep him around next season. He makes for a good primary antagonist (which is something this show hasn't had yet).
It has two: zombies and nature.

The Walking Dead already does the antagonist thing, so I was hoping Fear would stay on the road for a while.

bitbydeath

Good finale, show has really improved since S2.

“Erickson” said:
I think that Season 2, if I could go back and change anything, I think it’d be a lot less boat and a lot more Mexico.

What? No. Fuck no man.
The boat was the best part of season 2, Mexico sucked.

Lorcain

The finale was good, especially watching the chaos unfold and tear down the illusions of safety (or opportunity for the Proctors) that Madison and Strand had. Seeing Daniel go full terminator mode was amazing. I was expecting to see his titanium skull through his torn skin lol.

I was able to roll with pretty much everything in the finale, except the detonator stand-off. I think the writers gave the detonator too much leverage, making Nick much safer than he should have been. It wasn't a kill switch. The Proctor goons could have taken him out at any time, especially when he turned his back to them and started walking back and forth checking out options.

I loved the last minute save by Walker and Lee sniping from high ground overlooking the bridge. Definitely a great bro moment.

Nick was spot on, Madison has earned the namesake of the show's title. She might even be a more destructive agent of chaos than Rick's group.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And I didn't know a crossover was confirmed, that's pretty cool. Is it going to be just 1 character to makes it onto the main show?

1 character is going to crossover from one show onto the other. The prevailing theory is that Abraham will appear next season on FtWD, but it's all just speculation at this point.

TaterTots

Banned
Can someone help me out? I'm trying to figure out where I left off and can't find it. I remember Nick and Travis in a room sitting on the ground after they haven't seen each other for a bit and Nick was with a ill person.

bitbydeath

Can someone help me out? I'm trying to figure out where I left off and can't find it. I remember Nick and Travis in a room sitting on the ground after they haven't seen each other for a bit and Nick was with a ill person.

Sounds like episode 1 of this season, Nick was caught after trying to cross the border and had not seen Travis for at least half a season as he wandered midway s2.

Tevious

I'm watching episode 15 and I swear there's a scene missing or two. First, Alicia is with the girl she met, they got ambushed and the girl took a leg wound. Then some stuff happens over at the dam for a while. Then the next scene with Alicia she's being introduced to the leader of the Proctors and assisting with his surgery... WTF!? How did she get there? What happened to the girl she was with? She never showed up again. I've fast forwarded through all the scenes between those two and there's nothing else with Alicia.

I'm so confused.

images

Edit: Searched again and finally found a short minute long scene or so where she's with that doctor guy getting the girl treated for her leg. Somehow I missed it. Still, they don't explain how she even met him and that girl isn't seen again...

Anyway, this show needs to slow down a bit and develop some of these side-characters more like Taqa and that girl Alicia befriended. I kind of wish they would stick to a setting a bit longer and quit jumping from place to place so much.

BizzyBum

I'm watching episode 15 and I swear there's a scene missing or two. First, Alicia is with the girl she met, they got ambushed and the girl took a leg wound. Then some stuff happens over at the dam for a while. Then the next scene with Alicia she's being introduced to the leader of the Proctors and assisting with his surgery... WTF!? How did she get there? What happened to the girl she was with? She never showed up again. I've fast forwarded through all the scenes between those two and there's nothing else with Alicia.

I'm so confused.

It all happened pretty fast, yeah.

It's definitely hard to believe Alicia strikes out on her own and then days later happens to get recruited into the opposing bad guys militia as they take over the dam her mother just went to. lol

It's sort of crap writing and storytelling to advance the plot as quick as possible but I guess being so quick about advancing things could be considered a good thing since TWD is infamous for its anime-like filler. Fear seems to cut all the bullshit. Like the dam takeover and events leading up to that would have been an entire season for TWD. lol

Kaizer

Banned
Man, that was a good finale. The show isn’t perfect, but I feel it’s improved alot from last season. Excited to see where they’ll go next season.

A little disappointed they just sorta dropped the thread with the black chick Alicia met. Felt like she had a “Michonne but with a pick-axe” vibe to her. We saw her getting treated by the Proctors and then she was just gone. Maybe she’ll popup in the future.

BFIB

Man, that was a good finale. The show isn’t perfect, but I feel it’s improved alot from last season. Excited to see where they’ll go next season.

A little disappointed they just sorta dropped the thread with the black chick Alicia met. Felt like she had a “Michonne but with a pick-axe” vibe to her. We saw her getting treated by the Proctors and then she was just gone. Maybe she’ll popup in the future.

I had written off this show shortly after season two started. I had quite a few tell me to get through the first half of season two, because it almost becomes a different show. They were right, once they meet up with the Otto's, this show really takes off. Troy was a great character, killing off Travis was a great move, and learning the backstory on Madison, she's just a broken person.

I do agree, this season was way better than anything done on WD probably since Terminus.

Top Bottom