• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February US boxart dumping ground of exciting doom

pulga

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Except Buzz games aren't shovelware.

AAA title? You're missing the point, shovelware is not new, nor exclusive to Wii. Replace ¨Buzz¨ with X shovelware and you're set.

Second said:
It's just pretty sad why we see shovelware instead of good 3rd party games for Wii.

Good 3rd party:shovelware ratio is like 3:7 for Wii. Maybe even worse.

Yeah, lowest development costs, lower end graphics, and having the broadest market in the world made Wii an easy target to fling shit at. I just find it easier to ignore them and focus on good stuff such as NMH and Z&W, instead of constantly pointing out the same tired shit that's been around for ages.

Marlowe

1. I know this is a boxart thread, but which of these games should I actually plan on buying (other than Phoenix Wright, which I love)?

2. I think that symbol on the upper right of the Mario Kart boxart symbolizes a disc going into a Wii.

pulga

Banned
Chris_C said:
Dammit!

Also, the PS2 is in it's SEVENTH YEAR. Those Wii games look really embarrassing. Like NES era Chuck Norris ripoff action games.

So? These type of games only take 3 months tops to churn out. It has nothing to do with age, it has everything to do with the factors I mentioned earlier.

Haunted

Anyone saying the Wii is the first console with lots of shovelware is a fucking lunatic. It doesn't even matter anyway, since the number of good games is not getting smaller regardless if 10, 100, or 1000 shovelware games are released for the system. Same for the PS2/DS.

Kifimbo said:
939386_99010_front.jpg
What is this and when is it coming out?

MidiSurf said:
And also Winter Games for C64 was sweet.

WinterGames_D2_Biathlon.gif
Damn, that takes me back - I played the shit out of that game. So good. <3 <3

Chris_C

pulga said:
So? These type of games only take 3 months tops to churn out. It has nothing to do with age, it has everything to do with the factors I mentioned earlier.

I think the point people are trying to make is that it's a little early in the game for the amount of shovelware on the Wii.

pulga

Banned
Chris_C said:
I think the point people are trying to make is that it's a little early in the game for the amount of shovelware on the Wii.

Who gets to decide when it's too early in the game? Not you, not me, not GAF. The market, unfortunately, does. We just have to learn to deal with it and stop making ¨Hurr hurr shovelware on Wii CAR VAULT¨ threads everytime shit like this comes up.

pulga said:
Really now? Shovelware has been around since the dawn of consoles, PS2 in its infancy was no exception.

No it wasn't. There were plenty of shite games in the PS2's infancy, but nothing that was clearly shovelware like Target Terror there. Platform was still too pricey to develop for.

Amir0x

Banned
Red Blaster said:
No it wasn't. There were plenty of shite games in the PS2's infancy, but nothing that was clearly shovelware like Target Terror there. Platform was still too pricey to develop for.

5162C21173L._SS400_.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jiji said:
Yeah, I don't know why people automatically decide it'll be shovelware. They must have something against flying RC choppers around the house.
I bet most think it'll just be that flash game where you avoid blocks for a high score. :lol

lulz

X-Squad's pretty shit of course. But it at the very least has a semblance of production values put into it, Paul Newman even voiced one of the characters. I don't see how it's comparable to the likes of say Ninjabread Man, Jenga, Target Terror and such others that have permeated the Wii library to this point.

ascii42

Red Blaster said:
lulz

X-Squad's pretty shit of course. But it at the very least has a semblance of production values put into it, Paul Newman even voiced one of the characters. I don't see how it's comparable to the likes of say Ninjabread Man, Jenga, Target Terror and such others that have permeated the Wii library to this point.
True, just because a game sucks, doesn't mean it's shovelware.

Amir0x

Banned
Red Blaster said:
lulz

I can't believe I'm going to defend Wii on its third party support, but you're being pretty disingenuous with your argument. If "production values" make something "not shovelware", then fine... but I don't believe you've played X-Squad, because if you did you'd know the production values were like 50 cents.

You use things like Ninjabread Man on the Wii side... there's a PS2 version too. So what does that say?

I'd say things like Gravity Games Bike, Army Men: Green Rogue and Arctic Thunder are all as bad as what you listed on the Wii side, and they all came out in similarly early periods of PS2 life.

No, the argument should be made not about shovelware (which follows any lead platform like maggots on a rotting corpse), but in the amount of quality third party support. In this regard, Wii is a laughable disaster compared to what PS2 managed to put together (particularly toward the end of ITS first year, vs. the end of Wii's first year). Nintendo has definitely done its best to fill the gaps in (Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime III, Fire Emblem) but third parties have not been behind it quite yet.

Sorry, but the shovelware argument is dumb.

2DMention

Banned
Dodgeball looks good, but I'm guessing the JP version is out this month.

I might pick up Target Terror if it plays well.

I'm excited about Target: Terror.

I never got to play the arcade version, but I love light gun shooters, I love the art style in this one (the full-motion actors in a polygonal environment), and the theme seems perfect for a good cheesy arcade gun game, so it's on my to-buy list unless the reticule control is whacked out or something.

sphinx

the piano man
this is getting really annoying,

even a freaking boxart thread eventually turns into " when will the Wii 3rd party situation improve? "?.

seriously keep that old and tired shit out if this thread, please. There is a new thread every week devoted to re-discuss wii and the 3rd parties.

Amir0x said:
I can't believe I'm going to defend Wii on its third party support, but you're being pretty disingenuous with your argument. If "production values" make something "not shovelware", then fine... but I don't believe you've played X-Squad, because if you did you'd know the production values were like 50 cents.

Rented it around PS2 launch time, don't remember anything about it other than the Paul Newman bit. Maybe you can show us a photo of the game in your toilet bowl.

You use things like Ninjabread Man on the Wii side... there's a PS2 version too. So what does that say?

That the PS2 is in it's twilight years and that it's expected to get titles like that now that most developers have moved on.

I'd say things like Gravity Games Bike, Army Men: Green Rogue and Arctic Thunder are all as bad as what you listed on the Wii side, and they all came out in similarly early periods of PS2 life.

Hey whaddya know, all those games are trash. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in proclaiming that the PS2 had absolutely no shovelware in its beginning years.

No, the argument should be made not about shovelware (which follows any lead platform like maggots on a rotting corpse), but in the amount of quality third party support. In this regard, Wii is a laughable disaster compared to what PS2 managed to put together (particularly toward the end of ITS first year, vs. the end of Wii's first year). Nintendo has definitely done its best to fill the gaps in (Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime III, Fire Emblem) but third parties have not been behind it quite yet.

Sure, that's true. However certain Wii enthusiasts like to shrug off the absurd amount of junk games piling up on the console as business-as-usual and that the PS2 started off exactly the same. PS2 had some real stinkers its first year but not near the amount the Wii has had.

Syckx

Regardless of whether the Wii is home to shovelware is somewhat irrelevent. People buy these games and actually enjoy them. GameStop had tremendous difficulty stocking Game Party and Carnival Games during the holidays due to demand. Just because the hardcore gamers thinks they are shit does not mean that casual gamers (AKA, where the real money is coming from) follows suit.

Red Blaster said:
Sure, that's true. However certain Wii enthusiasts like to shrug off the absurd amount of junk games piling up on the console as business-as-usual and that the PS2 started off exactly the same. PS2 had some real stinkers its first year but not near the amount the Wii has had.

Perhaps, perhaps, but for what it's worth, along with the increased amount of shovelware, we have had a stronger line-up of quality titles in the same timeframe, IMHO. Easily. No question. And that's the important thing, is there enough legitimate quality...and with Wii, there is.

Gagaman

The difference with the Wii compared to the PS2 shovelware wise is the Wii exploded in popularity in it's first year far beyond anyone's expectations, so the shovelware was bound to flood in, especially when considering how cheap it is to develop for, and how most companies weren't prepared to make Wii games what with development tools not exactly being final until the last minute (hence why at least half of these titles are ports of PS2 shovelware).

With the PS2, most shovelware companies were happy to continue developing for the PS1 which was the easiest and cheapest system to produce on. The shovelware for the PS2 really started to flood in around 2003, I believe, when they finally gave up on the PS1. The PS2's mainstream popularity wasn't so sudden like the Wii's, I guess. *shrugs*

Until the likes of GTAIII and MGS2 came along, the PS2 game line up looks pretty grim and outdated compared to what the Dreamcast had in 2000/early 2001, with lazy games like Tekken tag and Ridge Racer thrown out the door. What great games were there otherwise? Zone of the Enders and erm...

All the shovelware complaints amuse me, since I'm from a PAL region, where wheelbarrow loads of lousy budget Japanese games go to die (although gems do appear every now and then~) and the likes of Phoenix Games, Midas and Oxygen pump out four hundred thousand PS2 games per hour. The Wii situation in America is tame. =')

NeoUltima

DMczaf said:
I'm tired of all these LE/SE versions, especially the Gamestop exclusive ones. They toss in crappy(usually) extra content and worst of all, they usually have worse boxarts than the standard versions, as can be seen above...

DuckRacer

DMczaf said:
Oh my god. :lol

If you're going to do a special edition (which you shouldn't to begin with), at least make the boxart look far better than the regular edition.

That looks worse than most random fan-made covers.

NeoUltima

2rqivsn.jpg

No shit, the video game? I thought the PS3 label meant it was the Lost soundtrack.
Hopefully the boxart isn't indicative of the actual game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
NeoUltima said:
No shit, the video game? I thought the PS3 label meant it was the Lost soundtrack.
Hopefully the boxart isn't indicative of the actual game.
Considering the audience that was probably a smart move.

Teknoman

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA. Ring of Fates releases this month? Damn it...

Also this topic needs more DMC 4, Lost Odyssey and DQS art.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Teknoman said:
Whoa whoa whoa WHOA. Ring of Fates releases this month? Damn it...

Also this topic needs more DMC 4, Lost Odyssey and DQS art.

Sigh. We were doing so well too :/

Top Bottom